Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Professor Beetus posted:

Tbh I read that scene differently than everyone else in here apparently. I thought he meant that Terry's story about learning from that guy was a bunch of bullshit, not the guy's name.

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant too. Like "I can't believe that's actually true and you really did train with a master named whateveritwas." Not just "haha silly name."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know they can't just get rid of the character but I am so thoroughly sick of Daniel it isn't funny, it would be nice if he could spend half of S6 offscreen or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stuffed into a locker like he deserves

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Flesnolk posted:

I know they can't just get rid of the character but I am so thoroughly sick of Daniel it isn't funny, it would be nice if he could spend half of S6 offscreen or something

Yeah he sucks. Always arrogant and flying off the handle

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Flesnolk posted:

Machio is older than Pat Morita was in Karate Kid. Blew my mind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think this show was perfect in early seasons when they hit the right combination of everyone acting like they do in the 80s movies with the occasional modern person almost breaking the 4th wall to go "what the gently caress are you people doing?"

They're starting to sort of lose that by always going to the well of insane karate hijinks every time and this was definitely the worst between Tory being forced to break her hands, Kreese beating the poo poo out of everyone else in jail(although a really great scene using the younger actor to make up for Martin Kove's age), and the constant back and forth 'power level' stuff like Chozen beats 6 Cobra Kai senseis, then when the international experts show up it takes Chozen and Johnny just to stand against a single one of them. Also, the 6-10 Miyagi-Do students fighting off 3x their number of Cobra Kai was bad even for this show. Everything up to this point was always more of a even numbers feud.

Season 6 needs to be the final chapter of this, hopefully they can spring to film in Japan for some extra impressive scenery. The whole Cobra Kai karate taking over the Valley reached such an insanely dumb level that it's got no where else to really go.

The one thing I felt would help for the water park scene is the lifeguard just rolling up and going "okay, get the gently caress out. Don't care who started it, you all leave" way earlier and sort of brought back the sense that real world rules still existed in some aspect or another for these stupid karate gang wars. Same thing with the Cobra Kai bragging that the other students broke in, so calling the cops just gets them in trouble not Cobra Kai. Like, if someone breaks into your workplace you aren't allowed to then gang up on them and beat the poo poo out of them, and you especially aren't allowed to then block the entrance/exit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can kind of write off almost all of the non realistic aspects of it and just attribute those things to existing in its own universe since the show does such a great job establishing that. Kind of like Friday Night Lights where the whole town centers around high school football except here it's karate for whatever reason.

Agree that there's really no way to go from here though and we've kind of used up all the plot bullets in the arsenal. Show has always walked a fine line and has mostly straddled it but how do we raise the stakes moving forward here or break out another old character without killing someone off or tapping Hillary Swank? We've reached the point where gimmicky call backs would need to dust off Jaden Smith or Jackie Chan.

I don't want to see Louie Laruso take up the reins with his sister training him after Daniel winds up in a karate beat down coma or some stupid poo poo like that. The wife takes up Miyagi Do. We already brush up real close to eye rolling over the top poo poo here and that edge seems as precarious as ever. Kreese doesn't seem threatening any more and that lady sensei is god awful. What's an International Tournament going to really add?

I heard a new movie has been announced but no word if it ties into the show or what.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

I think this show was perfect in early seasons when they hit the right combination of everyone acting like they do in the 80s movies with the occasional modern person almost breaking the 4th wall to go "what the gently caress are you people doing?"

They're starting to sort of lose that by always going to the well of insane karate hijinks every time and this was definitely the worst between Tory being forced to break her hands, Kreese beating the poo poo out of everyone else in jail(although a really great scene using the younger actor to make up for Martin Kove's age), and the constant back and forth 'power level' stuff like Chozen beats 6 Cobra Kai senseis, then when the international experts show up it takes Chozen and Johnny just to stand against a single one of them. Also, the 6-10 Miyagi-Do students fighting off 3x their number of Cobra Kai was bad even for this show. Everything up to this point was always more of a even numbers feud.

Season 6 needs to be the final chapter of this, hopefully they can spring to film in Japan for some extra impressive scenery. The whole Cobra Kai karate taking over the Valley reached such an insanely dumb level that it's got no where else to really go.

The one thing I felt would help for the water park scene is the lifeguard just rolling up and going "okay, get the gently caress out. Don't care who started it, you all leave" way earlier and sort of brought back the sense that real world rules still existed in some aspect or another for these stupid karate gang wars. Same thing with the Cobra Kai bragging that the other students broke in, so calling the cops just gets them in trouble not Cobra Kai. Like, if someone breaks into your workplace you aren't allowed to then gang up on them and beat the poo poo out of them, and you especially aren't allowed to then block the entrance/exit.

The movie should be the trip to Japan and the tournament. Get Jackie / Jaden, Swank, Ironsides, and maybe some cameos from 80s tournament movie stars (like Van Damme). Then use the last season after to wrap things up with Kreese.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kreese really is the worst part of the plot to be dragging around, because his plan is now....be escaped convict karate master?

I'm sure it'll be some magic charges all dropped stuff where he's free to go around doing his thing again but they danced with the possible redemption so much in season 4 it feels completely fake to have Kreese do anything other then low level simmering animosity, not like his puppet master control the whole chess board thing in earlier seasons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

Kind of like Friday Night Lights where the whole town centers around high school football except here it's karate for whatever reason.

Ever been to Texas?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The movie should be the trip to Japan and the tournament. Get Jackie / Jaden, Swank, Ironsides, and maybe some cameos from 80s tournament movie stars (like Van Damme). Then use the last season after to wrap things up with Kreese.

Jackie probably wouldn't do it, because he taught Jaden kung fu and was irritated they called it karate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

Kreese really is the worst part of the plot to be dragging around, because his plan is now....be escaped convict karate master?

I'm sure it'll be some magic charges all dropped stuff where he's free to go around doing his thing again but they danced with the possible redemption so much in season 4 it feels completely fake to have Kreese do anything other then low level simmering animosity, not like his puppet master control the whole chess board thing in earlier seasons.

Or he fakes his own death somehow (??) but to do...what? I don't know. Seemed like his arc was finished and since I guess we're not spoiling it I thought having him actually die in prison going out on his shield would have worked fine as it was.

Professor Beetus posted:

Ever been to Texas?

Briefly but, yeah, I know that the insane high school football culture is real and that the movie was (I think) based on true events. I was just comparing CK to something similar and swapping out karate for HSF teams is all in order to aid suspension of disbelief. Like, unless you know about that rabid FNL fanbase, it seems almost as ridiculous as The All Valley Karate County being obsessed about something so silly that also involves teenage kids battling each other.

Dawgstar posted:

Jackie probably wouldn't do it, because he taught Jaden kung fu and was irritated they called it karate.

He maybe could use the paycheck I dunno. Also, you could play that kung fu angle up and have him roll in all "gently caress that karate bullshit. This is KUNG FU, you pussies." If you bring in Jaden, you'd probably have to retcon the remake unless you wanted to go full on crazy, weave that in to the story and have all of it somehow exist in the same universe. Which...come to think of it...

Now I'm down for an international tournament with all of these people. Settle this poo poo once and for all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They should go real wild and buy the rights to 3 Ninjas. Then let them have a dojo in the world tournament.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I really hope we see the end of stingray. He’s a bad character in many ways.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The MAGA redditor who clearly had no compunctions about boozing up a bunch of teenagers did not need a redemption arc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LividLiquid posted:

The MAGA redditor who clearly had no compunctions about boozing up a bunch of teenagers did not need a redemption arc.

Stingray sucks but nothing indicates he is MAGA. You don't need to use MAGA as a synonym for lovely person.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

pentyne posted:

I don't entirely disagree with your sentiments but it's gotta be pointed out that Chozen beat a bunch of valley jamoke senseis trying out to be Cobra Kai senseis, and it's clear Chozen is like Vegeta on Namek to their saibamen level. The sensei that it took Chozen and Daniel was like Ginyu squad before the heroes had their big training/zenkais.

The Miyagi students standing up to the bigger squad was based on their defensive training to protect the egg and whatever Chozen trained them after. Inch wide/mile deep vs. mile wide/inch deep.

The rest of your statement is fair enough, the show pretty much knows it's pretty ridiculous at this point, I think it leaned into it to.just the right levels to not overdo any one cheesy thing too much. I'm glad they didn't overdo the miscommunication leads to problems schtick of the first 4 seasons too much and just had things hash out and develop according to fights and conversation.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spacebump posted:

They should go real wild and buy the rights to 3 Ninjas. Then let them have a dojo in the world tournament.

i would lose my mind

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always thought Surf Ninjas was the superior film.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should bring in JCVD to play his Russian villain from No Retreat No Surrender as the head baddie for the Sekai Tekkai. They were pretty much Cobra Kai but then times more aggressive anyway

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
While I still largely enjoy the show, I feel like pivoting from the self aware early seasons to full 80s movie stupidity was a misstep. Everything is just completely unironic now and while I hate that "HAW HAW LOOK AT US MOCKING OUR OWN PREMISE" brand of "humour" it is a bit of a jarring contrast. Thinking about it, it might sit better if the show would stop going "actually Daniel's mix of over-aggressive arrogance and cloying Orientalist hippy poo poo is 100% right."

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 17, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I look at it as a show that was a bit weak when it was trying to be genuinely good and is really good when it leans into being schlock. After 5 seasons it didn't want to drag out certain dramas too much (Miguel's daddy issues, Amanda's disapproval of Daniels crusade, the teens miscommunication) and wanted to give us the proper fan service we as fans have wanted since season 1. The long build up to everything, including the rivals teaming up against a greater evil was a great pay off, which is why season 6, though very welcome, feels almost unnecessary now.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Good show still IMO. Extremely more fun than it should be

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Only thing I'd really change is they should have made this season longer and done the tournament with Silver's downfall, a long with Chozen finally getting his boo. Kreese could've stayed rotting or been released a rehabilitated man at peace. Everything else basically wrapped up satisfyingly as far as the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sonatinas posted:

I really hope we see the end of stingray. He’s a bad character in many ways.

Everything about Stingray was cringey and awful and I kind of lowkey hate how this season essentially pivoted around him as both the cause of an solution to all of Miyagi-Do's problems.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have mixed feelings about the Miguel's father storyline. On the one hand, it felt extremely abrupt and anticlimactic in a sort of "why did they even bother with this" way, but I feel like if Hector had been some season-long antagonist he would have overstayed his welcome, and there's always a chance he comes back in the next season; that seemed like a lot of seeds to plant to just never touch on any of it again. But the fact Miguel was immediately like "gently caress this, dude's bad news, I'm going home" when Hector showed his true colours was good character development, showing how far he's come.

Also I agree with NGC that Stingray has massively overstayed his welcome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

While I still largely enjoy the show, I feel like pivoting from the self aware early seasons to full 80s movie stupidity was a misstep. Everything is just completely unironic now and while I hate that "HAW HAW LOOK AT US MOCKING OUR OWN PREMISE" brand of "humour" it is a bit of a jarring contrast. Thinking about it, it might sit better if the show would stop going "actually Daniel's mix of over-aggressive arrogance and cloying Orientalist hippy poo poo is 100% right."

Agree but I think it's just the law of diminishing returns and the show beginning (or continuing) to get a little played out and having to constantly resort to cameos, callbacks and side winks to keep itself fresh and, like you said, self aware enough to where it keeps successfully walking its tightrope. Like in episode 1 or 2 of S5, Sam says "God if I hear the word 'karate' one more time..." or something like that. It still works but it's a little too on the nose.

CK is obviously in the late stages of running its course and squeezing out the last of whatever was there in the first place to where it's really time to wrap this thing up and we're all wondering where it can really go from here. I can't see a way forward to keep it fresh, funny and engaging for too much longer but, then again, I didn't expect to get five full seasons of insanely addictive and entertaining television out of it in the first place - or even one for that matter - so maybe it'll keep surprising me.

E

I like Stingray

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I also wish they wouldn't go so hard on "yep, Daniel was right, even the IDEA of Cobra Kai is pure evil and exists to destroy all that's good in the world." It was more interesting in the early seasons where Johnny's take on CK was doing actual good than in 5 where even he's treating CK like it's the fuckin One Ring

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I like Stingray

Honestly, I felt like this season was the first to use Stingray well. He was used pretty sparingly and was shown with a good mix of obviously being emotionally stunted while still having good intentions, I even actually rooted for him in his one fight. Literally any more would be too much, less would arguably be better.

I do secretly think the character is the shows insurance against a bunch of 30 something guys watching this show and deciding joining their local dojo is a badass thing to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Honestly, I felt like this season was the first to use Stingray well. He was used pretty sparingly and was shown with a good mix of obviously being emotionally stunted while still having good intentions, I even actually rooted for him in his one fight. Literally any more would be too much, less would arguably be better.

I do secretly think the character is the shows insurance against a bunch of 30 something guys watching this show and deciding joining their local dojo is a badass thing to do.

I think Stingray would have worked better as a weird bargain bin junior sensei that Johnny hires to try and handle the expanded class load as Cobra Kai gets more popular, someone who knows a passable bit of karate but is still a fuckup manchild failure who gets too close to the kids because he himself is still mentally a teenager. He'd still be incredibly easy prey for Kreese and Silver too. But yeah, I also suspect he's an extremely unsubtle "this is you, you losers" jab at a certain section of the show's audience.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1571253320391741440

I guess Sony is just trying to cash in on the popularity of the show? But what even is this movie then?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Super Dan posted:

https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1571253320391741440

I guess Sony is just trying to cash in on the popularity of the show? But what even is this movie then?

Ah, so it's going to be the Morbius to Cobra Kai's Spider-Man movies. Gotcha :hai:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Could it simply be a rerelease of the original for the 40th anniversary? It’s obviously a clumsy anniversary number but a good time to capitalize with the show’s popularity.

Otherwise I can’t see how they would do a continuation of the original series that doesn’t feature anyone from Cobra Kai? I guess maybe you could isolate Macchio to mentor someone new but no mention of his CK family or students would be super bizarre and probably tick off fans.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spacebump posted:

Stingray sucks but nothing indicates he is MAGA. You don't need to use MAGA as a synonym for lovely person.
Here I mistook this court of law as a place where I could make pithy remarks about the vibe I get from fictional characters.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stingray is not MAGA he is just trying to keep his lines from getting stolen by his nemesis Jamie Taco

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__lr2uBu644

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Could it simply be a rerelease of the original for the 40th anniversary? It’s obviously a clumsy anniversary number but a good time to capitalize with the show’s popularity.

Otherwise I can’t see how they would do a continuation of the original series that doesn’t feature anyone from Cobra Kai? I guess maybe you could isolate Macchio to mentor someone new but no mention of his CK family or students would be super bizarre and probably tick off fans.

Sony and making weird superfluous movies in established franchises or story universes that just leave people confused and/or angry. Name a more iconic paring.

It's the cinematic equivalent of growing a second appendix on your intestines, rivaled only by whatever rear end-brained penny wise/pound foolish nonsense that WB's gotten itself hamstrung by this week.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
MAGA? Nah. Redditor? Abso-loving-lutely.

I will say, him Judasing may have been the most on point decision the showrunners have ever made.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Bee posted:

MAGA? Nah. Redditor? Abso-loving-lutely.

I will say, him Judasing may have been the most on point decision the showrunners have ever made.
I marked out. Not gonna' lie.

That douchebag and Chris Jericho deserve each other.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Stingray didn’t entirely cause the fall of M-D K. Even without Kreese they would’ve cheated and won the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Are people who dislike Stingray saying they think he sucks in terms of bringing anything to the story or that his character is an rear end in a top hat?

I like the character and find him one of the more believable portrayals on the show but I don't like him, such as it is. I know a lot of dudes just like him so he rings true for me but that could just be me living in NE Florida and all that goes with it.