Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arch Nemesis posted:

the contents of the tape, lol

lmao that got me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

honest to god I loved this controller, actually felt nice to use and sort of a prototype for the dreamcast controller

same lol, im just glad the world collectively realised 6 face buttons is awful and since moved on

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

honest to god I loved this controller, actually felt nice to use and sort of a prototype for the dreamcast controller

i forgot how good the dreamcast controller was.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

tmfc posted:

i forgot how good the dreamcast controller was.

its the third best controller, second being the wiiu pro and number one? the original xbox "duke"

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

: Clear the Game
: Do Not Die

I don't know if I was just sucking or what, but I only used basic first aid kits and no explosive grenades until the end boss, where I used 6 FA kits, 8 emergency kits, 4 resusc kits, and a huge number of grenades and air grenades, plus totally emptied the magazine of the weapon you get at the end. Felt like an insane difficulty spike.

I also thought it was weird that there were several bosses where you could just leave the room without killing them. I was able to do that on the first boss on the submarine to go get an ammo refill and some more medkits and come back and finish it, which reduced the tension of some of those fights. Some bosses I don't think you probably had to kill at all.

Game was ok. Felt pretty easy for the most part, except for the last boss, with lots of places to get full medkit refills and ammo. The first disc was really good, mostly, had fun set pieces and did a great job of building tension, but I felt like the second disc was much worse paced. Other than the scene close to the end where the Navy Area is escaping from the Big Table, I didn't feel like there was much that was very interesting in it. Lots of running around backtracking with no new real challenges until the end, plus right at the end it sort of plops you into a momentum-killing item hunt, followed up with a section with no clear objective at all.

I really liked what they did with the deep-sea setting for the most part. The way you escape at the end is fun, too.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

Arch Nemesis posted:

I don't know if I was just sucking or what, but I only used basic first aid kits and no explosive grenades until the end boss, where I used 6 FA kits, 8 emergency kits, 4 resusc kits, and a huge number of grenades and air grenades, plus totally emptied the magazine of the weapon you get at the end. Felt like an insane difficulty spike.

I also thought it was weird that there were several bosses where you could just leave the room without killing them. I was able to do that on the first boss on the submarine to go get an ammo refill and some more medkits and come back and finish it, which reduced the tension of some of those fights. Some bosses I don't think you probably had to kill at all.

Game was ok. Felt pretty easy for the most part, except for the last boss, with lots of places to get full medkit refills and ammo. The first disc was really good, mostly, had fun set pieces and did a great job of building tension, but I felt like the second disc was much worse paced. Other than the scene close to the end where the Navy Area is escaping from the Big Table, I didn't feel like there was much that was very interesting in it. Lots of running around backtracking with no new real challenges until the end, plus right at the end it sort of plops you into a momentum-killing item hunt, followed up with a section with no clear objective at all.

I really liked what they did with the deep-sea setting for the most part. The way you escape at the end is fun, too.

nice work

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arch Nemesis posted:

good poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arch Nemesis posted:

Well done

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arch Nemesis posted:

drat, nice

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arch Nemesis posted:

good poo poo, homie. i think i'm getting close to the end myself since there's only like three people and the chimp still alive but the section of heading to the energy unit area up to killing the mutated cow felt like such an absolute tedious slog that i had to take a day or two off playing it. not sure how i feel that the final boss is even more of a grind, but i'm gonna try and power through. also totally not mad at never realizing you could leave some boss rooms to restock

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

symbolic posted:

good poo poo, homie. i think i'm getting close to the end myself since there's only like three people and the chimp still alive but the section of heading to the energy unit area up to killing the mutated cow felt like such an absolute tedious slog that i had to take a day or two off playing it. not sure how i feel that the final boss is even more of a grind, but i'm gonna try and power through. also totally not mad at never realizing you could leave some boss rooms to restock

You're basically right at the end. There's a sweet cut scene right after where you're at that's worth watching, then the last part is definitely a slog but thankfully not too long. I'd say maybe an hour left?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am not enjoying the second disc

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arch Nemesis posted:

You're basically right at the end. There's a sweet cut scene right after where you're at that's worth watching, then the last part is definitely a slog but thankfully not too long. I'd say maybe an hour left?

that's good. im heading out of state for the weekend to visit family but i think i can definitely beat disc 2 before the deadline

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am not enjoying the second disc

i believe in you, gamer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seriously wtf is up with Dubois’ voice lol.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Seriously wtf is up with Dubois’ voice lol.

since I found out that was his name I keep imagining him as Harry DuBois from Disco Elysium getting so drunk he woke up with that voice and doesn't know why either.

I am still doing the fetch quest at the start of disc 2. I have crossed the entire map or what feels like it three times now to get a gas tank and a Barnacle Jim Suit

edit: I now need to ask Danny for some "gum-gum"

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 16, 2022

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

since I found out that was his name I keep imagining him as Harry DuBois from Disco Elysium getting so drunk he woke up with that voice and doesn't know why either.

Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

been trying to work out who Danny reminds me of and it was only when he said "ma famleh" in the exact same way three times in 10 seconds that I realised it was Old Gregg from The Mighty Boosh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

been trying to work out who Danny reminds me of and it was only when he said "ma famleh" in the exact same way three times in 10 seconds that I realised it was Old Gregg from The Mighty Boosh

i misread this at first and thought you believed noel fielding was in the game lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
need a break from unpacking. my tv took a hit during the move and now one of the speakers doesn't work. got a guy coming in to take a look at it next week. in the mean time, i'll be enjoying deep fear in stunning mono audio

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

just killed a mutated cow lads. The whole section up to the energy unit should absolutely have been cut, completely pointless busywork that dropped the game at least 1 full point out of 10 by itself. It's fun again and insane again for now but I think it's definitely outstaying its welcome

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jolyne searching Jotaro's belongings

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jolyne searching Jotaro's belongings

Lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

every camera angle change having a fade out/in is rough lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

lol the first boss fight kicks rear end. just chasing a guy around a ladder with like 7 different camera angle changes while music blasts twice as loud as all the sound effects and immediately stops the instant the last hit lands

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

glad I got past the lovely slog part, last hour or so was good fun. Game definitely outstayed its welcome a bit, turns out if you take absolutely all resource management out of Resident Evil 1 and design it with no sense of pacing whatsoever it's significantly less fun lol. Sega kids were neglected

(ending cutscene I guess but probably too incomprehensible to be a real spoiler)

Mad that I died exactly twice, both to the stupid first boss, and then never again even to the probably overtuned final boss

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

decided to see if my save would switch over to the us version localization prototype so the top of my screen doesnt get cut off by pal weirdness (it worked) and noticed the fade out and in between every camera angle transition wasnt happening. thought it might have just been some weird consequence of the pal conversion but i looked up video of the pal version on youtube and it wasn't in any of the videos i could find. now i just booted up the pal version again and it's not doing it anymore either and i'm not sure if i hallucinated my first couple of hours with this game or not

e: oh my god i figured it out it's only doing it when i'm in analog control mode?? this is bizarre lmao

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 18, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Finally beat the first loving boss today, actually beat it once and then died during the escape sequence, then beat it again RIP Mookie

This game is actually really cool but there’s not that much tension since ammo is extremely plentiful lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

- Beat the game

mixed feelings about disc 2. definitely a step down from disc 1 with a lot more fetch quests and backtracking. after that slog i mentioned earlier it at least picked up, and while the final boss was long, it only took me three tries without many grenades. i did end up using all my primary ammo but literally the first bullet from my Glock did them in lol.

overall though, even with the drawbacks, this really felt like a hidden gem. it was mentioned before but this really did feel a lot more like an action game than a horror game, not that i'm complaining. kickass atmosphere even with the dated graphics, more than once i could really feel the tension. in addition, going into it i thought the oxygen mechanic would be more annoying than it was, but i don't think i ever found myself in a pickle because i was running out of air. i almost wish it was stricter, but that's just nitpicking. overall, good poo poo. god bless IZGC :cheersdoge:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

: Beat Disc 1

Let's do this poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Myco will be this weeks picker, let me know by the end of today you can PM me your game and we can think of some trophies ect and I'll do the write up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i mean i havent played one of these in a bunch of weeks. but hell you asked for it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
he picked a doozy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just a suggestion for the website if Sub-Ac is lurking but i think it'd be neat to have who selected the game alongside the games, or maybe list it within the trophy cases

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

he picked a doozy

Oh boy can’t wait for Tetris Grand Master 3 where the only trophy is Shirase mode S13 rank

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh boy can’t wait for Tetris Grand Master 3 where the only trophy is Shirase mode S13 rank

i think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dodonpachi trophies for loop 1 and loop 2