Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Serephina posted:

You know while we're on the topic, there's also some fuckery going on with firing rates. I can stack reload buffs on a casket until it hits a ~2sec reload speed and a listed dps of over ten thousand, but it's not actually doing that. For one, when running at normal speed the shots come out every 4-5 seconds, which mean the game has a very different definition of 'reload' than I do, and more importantly a dps that high would mean that it's killing an entire infantry unit every second, which it obviously not happening.

Not sure what's going on with the reload, but iirc ranged units list damage over 10 seconds, not damage per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
There's a lot of those sorta 'caveats' like, for example top speed is affected by an acceleration stat that is very difficult to buff... but CAN be modified on the fly by abilities since ogres can get stuff that affects it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Kairos can kill hundreds to thousands of enemies completely solo, but he generally doesn't have the juice to literally win the battle completely alone against main line quality stacks.

Don't forget that Tzeentch now has an actual high quality front line. You can very easily finish enemies in melee without too much trouble using forsaken/chaos warriors after you've crippled them with magic, pink horrors, and flamers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Those islands are where Malus started in the vortex map in 2, right? I remember them being my best money maker on that map, since they are elf colonies with a port.

Yep, same in this. 3 settlements, all with ports, elven settlement building, and pottery/spices resources. Pretty lucrative province.

I also discovered that there's a sea lane connecting the islands with the jade sea just south east of Cathay, so it's actually pretty easy to jump down here if you're roaming around that area. Could probably be a really good place to aim for as Lokhir.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

Kairos can kill hundreds to thousands of enemies completely solo, but he generally doesn't have the juice to literally win the battle completely alone against main line quality stacks.

Don't forget that Tzeentch now has an actual high quality front line. You can very easily finish enemies in melee without too much trouble using forsaken/chaos warriors after you've crippled them with magic, pink horrors, and flamers.

I mean, I'm generally rolling him with some fellow arcane conduits to boost his mastery and whatnot... He for sure does not have enough magic in the tank ever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

99pct of germs posted:

Kairos futures are on a upward trajectory.

Anyone have any suggestions for playing Tzeench and Daemons in general? My grimoire income is awful - despite using the unholy manifestation, building libraries and cults whenever I can. Also most of the CoW seem really useless or incredibly expensive - I thought force rebellion would make for a good distraction but they just instantly attack and die to even the weakest garrisons.

Kairos is a world beater though, and the teleport stance is clutch for catching out AI armies. Horrors are good little guys, I love them - flamers not so much they seem to whiff on their shots a lot.

I just find myself bouncing off of the Daemon factions pretty hard and I would like to enjoy them.

I found installing a mod for generalized red skills helped my problems with demon factions because not using half your toys feels bad and looking at how Slaanesh/Tzeentch/Nurgle lords improve mortals gives me a stress headache.

Their techs are also absolutely awful compared to WoC or game 2 factions to the point where figuring out what to research next doesn't feel worth the mental effort.

They need to be revamped, either through mods or a long wait to see if CA will do it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Ikit's weapon teams are all absurd, but I prefer the ratling guns

They strike a nice balance between the long range of the jezzails and the short-but-killy range of the warpfire throwers, and the infinite ammo upgrade can make them incredibly clutch. Even after every other unit on the map has run out of ammo, they're still out there happily warcriming away.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

I mean, I'm generally rolling him with some fellow arcane conduits to boost his mastery and whatnot... He for sure does not have enough magic in the tank ever.

Conduit does nothing for maximum reserves, which are generally difficult to increase. You can have 10,000% charge rate and you still be limited in total winds by your reserve pool(generally 100 to 150 depending on how many mages with the capacity skill you're bringing). Some skills, like the death magic passive, do give you more reserves in combat, but it's generally a band-aid for your outflow rather than a way to actually replenish. They've made it pretty clear in TWW3 that they want the bottomless wind pools that were possible in TWW2 gone.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Kairos really got shafted pretty quick, huh. I was enjoying my pink horror stacks and dropping a million spells that do actual damage but now it seems like you run outta ammo same as anyone else and your spells don't delete stacks like they used to.

Tzeentch corruption gives additional ammo to your horrors. Find ways to spread it with agents if you need more ammo.

Pink fire has absolutely no AP so it falls off by midgame. Upgrading to either fire or metal can help you keep dealing damage.

Kanos posted:

Conduit does nothing for maximum reserves, which are generally difficult to increase. You can have 10,000% charge rate and you still be limited in total winds by your reserve pool(generally 100 to 150 depending on how many mages with the capacity skill you're bringing). Some skills, like the death magic passive, do give you more reserves in combat, but it's generally a band-aid for your outflow rather than a way to actually replenish. They've made it pretty clear in TWW3 that they want the bottomless wind pools that were possible in TWW2 gone.

I'm glad mods exist so this change and 2's comparably bad port income never paying for the cost of ports or reducing growth to a snails pace can be removed and ignored.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 17, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kairos's answer to armored troops is Infernal Gateway.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

That I get, I don't want bottomless per se, but it feels like if my spellcasting... my factions whole deal is going to be 'lightly singe a couple of lizards' than I want my soldiers to be doing more than they seemingly have the capability to do. I dunno what I'm supposed to roll with if not exalted pink horrors but it feels like they don't output even a fraction of the hurt I need and my spells don't make up the difference. Like, they HAD kairos in a sweet spot for a bit there where you could fly around and zap some people and your pink horrors could burn the rest pretty good but now I'm watching lizardmen just march through a LOT of shots like its nothin'.

I guess if I'm supposed to use the Tzeentch knights or whatever but it feels like they shot me in the loving kneecap because I don't wanna play with the smelly weird kid and wanted to use my cool hybrid infantry and crazy gently caress off spellz

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 17, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Infinite winds ruled tbh

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Like there was a bit where Kairos had my heart but now post buffed Malagor is back on top.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Doing a Vampire Counts campaign whilst setting up the unit scale to 'ultra' may have been a terrible mistake that has in fact sent my FPS to the grave.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unit count counts for way less fps than you would think

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Motherfucker posted:

There's a lot of those sorta 'caveats' like, for example top speed is affected by an acceleration stat that is very difficult to buff... but CAN be modified on the fly by abilities since ogres can get stuff that affects it

Banner of swiftness gives +30% +200% acceleration and strider, absolutely insane

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Persistent corpses were a big fps thing for me

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

That I get, I don't want bottomless per se, but it feels like if my spellcasting... my factions whole deal is going to be 'lightly singe a couple of lizards' than I want my soldiers to be doing more than they seemingly have the capability to do. I dunno what I'm supposed to roll with if not exalted pink horrors but it feels like they don't output even a fraction of the hurt I need and my spells don't make up the difference. Like, they HAD kairos in a sweet spot for a bit there where you could fly around and zap some people and your pink horrors could burn the rest pretty good but now I'm watching lizardmen just march through a LOT of shots like its nothin'.

I guess if I'm supposed to use the Tzeentch knights or whatever but it feels like they shot me in the loving kneecap because I don't wanna play with the smelly weird kid and wanted to use my cool hybrid infantry and crazy gently caress off spellz

Kairos is still an enormously powerful force multiplier lord who can kill hundreds of dudes in every battle, he's just not going to solo peer level armies for you. Similarly, pink horrors, even exalted ones, have always been relatively mediocre missile units; they do decent raw damage but have poor AP(barely more AP damage than orc arrer boyz!) and extremely poor range for a missile unit(130 vs the common 150 to 180 of dedicated archers, which puts them in the same category as darkshards without the AP or shades without the AP or abilities to boost their range heavily). They were never a doomstackable unit against anything but extremely low level poo poo chaff.

In pre-IE TWW3 my Tzeentch stacks used them mostly as support and the bulk of the work Kairos and the mages weren't doing was accomplished by forsaken, spawn, and knights(both regular and doom). Post-IE, Tzeentch now has access to chaos warriors and chosen, who are both top class heavy infantry for their tier and can quite easily grind anyone who survives your magic to death.

If you really want to lean into the technicolor magical fire, your real killer ranged units aren't horrors, they're flamers and exalted flamers. Flamers can utterly evaporate entire units in just a couple of volleys, but the key is that you need something to hold them in place for the flamers to do so and they require micro to do well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
flamers are a gunline, basically, and you just need the ol gunline schtick. now that theres good tzeentch anvils...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

Kairos is still an enormously powerful force multiplier lord who can kill hundreds of dudes in every battle, he's just not going to solo peer level armies for you. Similarly, pink horrors, even exalted ones, have always been relatively mediocre missile units; they do decent raw damage but have poor AP(barely more AP damage than orc arrer boyz!) and extremely poor range for a missile unit(130 vs the common 150 to 180 of dedicated archers, which puts them in the same category as darkshards without the AP or shades without the AP or abilities to boost their range heavily). They were never a doomstackable unit against anything but extremely low level poo poo chaff.

In pre-IE TWW3 my Tzeentch stacks used them mostly as support and the bulk of the work Kairos and the mages weren't doing was accomplished by forsaken, spawn, and knights(both regular and doom). Post-IE, Tzeentch now has access to chaos warriors and chosen, who are both top class heavy infantry for their tier and can quite easily grind anyone who survives your magic to death.

If you really want to lean into the technicolor magical fire, your real killer ranged units aren't horrors, they're flamers and exalted flamers. Flamers can utterly evaporate entire units in just a couple of volleys, but the key is that you need something to hold them in place for the flamers to do so and they require micro to do well.

They made flamers useful? Can they shoot more than three to four times or do I need to spread corruption first? I've ignored them for the most part.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

They made flamers useful? Can they shoot more than three to four times or do I need to spread corruption first? I've ignored them for the most part.

The t5 flying flamer is the only one with ammo problems. The rest have always been great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Lizards have relatively high armor, which your horrors are pretty terrible at. They will shred unarmored things, but you will need something else for lizards, dwarfs, WoC, etc.

You have forsaken who do nice AP damage, knights who do excellent AP damage, and if you want to stick to magic fireworks, your flamers are the ones you want for lategame high armored enemies. Keep some horrors around, but they won't be good at everything (ie armor).

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 17, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

They have 10 shots base. They're a little finnicky to use, but they're utterly devastating. I tend to being 4 to 6 units of them and use them in pairs.

Exalted flamers are flamers that trade some damage for better height(can shoot over most human sized dudes, which can be useful) and better range(can actually hit stuff at like 100 range).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

admittedly I've been trained to see Melee infantry as something to hold an enemy still while I blow them up with something actually useful and anyone who actually carries a sword into a fight should come pre-equipped with the 'expendable' trait but that might be my skaven days.

Kanos posted:

They have 10 shots base. They're a little finnicky to use, but they're utterly devastating. I tend to being 4 to 6 units of them and use them in pairs.

Exalted flamers are flamers that trade some damage for better height(can shoot over most human sized dudes, which can be useful) and better range(can actually hit stuff at like 100 range).

See uh... that's not a lot of shooting. I mean I get that they can hurt a lotta chaff with each shot like that but like, once they're out aren't they basically worthless? Can the exalted ones fight slightly better than the flying bathrobes they resemble?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 17, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

See uh... that's not a lot of shooting. I mean I get that they can hurt a lotta chaff with each shot like that but like, once they're out aren't they basically worthless? Can the exalted ones fight slightly better than the flying bathrobes they resemble?

Did you try the starting flamer before you disbanded it? It is the best unit in your starting army.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did you try the starting flamer before you disbanded it? It is the best unit in your starting army.

I use it till its used but I never was like 'drat this thing is doing work', I'm normally too busy microing the starting cav to make best use of their barrier. is there some trick?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
AI melee cheats are gone so melee units you recruit can do good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

admittedly I've been trained to see Melee infantry as something to hold an enemy still while I blow them up with something actually useful and anyone who actually carries a sword into a fight should come pre-equipped with the 'expendable' trait but that might be my skaven days.

WH3 has a much bigger melee focus than WH2, which was 100% about stacking as much AP ranged fire as you could. Armor piercing on ranged weapons is a lot rarer and more limited right now, as you are finding out. And in general, melee infantry is better compared to WH2 because of how the AI no longer gets those kinds of melee cheats.

And while flamers are excellent, as you found out they aren't ammo efficient against hordes, which is why you still want to keep some pink horrors around even though they aren't great against armor. Most of the newer factions, especially in the daemon factions, tend to be more specialized in a role so you can't just stack one type forever.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

WH3 has a much bigger melee focus than WH2, which was 100% about stacking as much AP ranged fire as you could. Armor piercing on ranged weapons is a lot rarer and more limited right now, as you are finding out. And in general, melee infantry is better compared to WH2 because of how the AI no longer gets those kinds of melee cheats.

And while flamers are excellent, as you found out they aren't ammo efficient against hordes, which is why you still want to keep some pink horrors around even though they aren't great against armor. Most of the newer factions, especially in the daemon factions, tend to be more specialized in a role so you can't just stack one type forever.

frankly hosed up

I'm glad swordguys can actually do things now though. I'll admit those tzeentch disk knights are cool

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Melee infantry being worth a drat is great now that Kroqstar is focused on elite Saurus units. Do the bonuses apply to scar veterans so I can hero stack like Isabella?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Well I think my Wood Elf campaign is over since it now crashes every time on whoever the 94th faction is when I end my turn. I haven't even met them but they have soundly defeated me. I was 3 razed settlements short of a Short Victory but I was getting kind of bored near the end anyway. I think I'll do something with tons of monsters next.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Melee infantry being worth a drat is great now that Kroqstar is focused on elite Saurus units. Do the bonuses apply to scar veterans so I can hero stack like Isabella?

Yeah, iirc his faction effect is that old bloods and scar vets gain 1%WS per level and have a 30% exp gain bonus.

Also his scar vets and old bloods get additional benefits from saurus buildings too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tzeentch flamers are terrific. Irondrakes can only ironquake in their boots!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have sank more hours than I care to admit on this game but embarrassingly, I still have no idea how + Winds of Magic Reserve items/followers work.

ie. Hedge wizard "Winds of Magic Power Reserve Change +8%". Is that in the campaign only or does it affect Power Reserve in battle if you have things that boost your in-battle reserve like Life Leeching passive on Lore of Death Wizards? I am seeing precious few ways to boost your power reserve in battle right now so I am guessing it is campaign only? IIRC in Warham 2, power conduit actually boosted your in-battle reserve pool but now it just pumps magic from the reserve into the usable pool.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Banner of swiftness gives +30% +200% acceleration and strider, absolutely insane

I have on Ku'Gath right now and he's hilariously a bit speedy.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Operant posted:

so protip if you are fighting a rogue army in immortal empires (like the books of nagash ones) on the current patch make sure to finish them off, otherwise you might run into the scenario I did where a rogue army that I had reduced to 1 unit and forgotten about returned 5 turns later with a stack full of 15 arachnarok spiders

That exact same thing just happened to me— and not only do they replenish, they multiply. My poor skeletons were chasing several hordes entirely made up of spider riders and arachnaroks across the badlands.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Smiling Knight posted:

That exact same thing just happened to me— and not only do they replenish, they multiply. My poor skeletons were chasing several hordes entirely made up of spider riders and arachnaroks across the badlands.

What I'm hearing here is that you can cultivate rogue armies into actual factions with a little pruning. Someone make this into a Disaster Battle / Campaign for Legend of Total War, just to see his reaction.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I even use dreadswords now because they are really good at taking settlements compared to dreadspears. I never recruited them in 2 but you need melee in 3.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 17, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I use dreadswords because I think they look cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh ok man, as someone who has only played "weaker/harder" factions in WH2/WH3. I can see why people were saying beastman are strong. They are bonkers in open field battles, Khazrak's ability to give vanguard to some of his best infantry units is crazy. I got the gist of the runestones/devastation/dread/bloodground mechanics. Completely wrecked his starting area, I can see how you can just get the momentum and keep going with this faction.