Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just stopped by the exotic fruit isle. Any idea on how to prepare these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Start by casting Divine Protection on the entire party and surround them with a Circle of Banishment if you can.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

From the last thread:

FFT posted:

it's not bad tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

axolotl farmer posted:

Just stopped by the exotic fruit isle. Any idea on how to prepare these?

YOU HAVE SUMMONED US, THE RAMBUTANI. WHAT DO YOU TASK US WITH, TO RELEASE US FROM THIS INTOLERABLE BONDAGE?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phthisis posted:

Real circus peanuts are made by Spangler, and usually any random generic bag you get at a gas station or whatever will be made by spangler anyway.
There's also actually different flavors of circus peanuts, too. You can get a variety pack with red (cherry), orange (banana), yellow (lemon), and white (vanilla). The lemon ones are really loving good, but the cherry and vanilla ones are such a steep dropoff behind lemon and banana that I usually don't bother with the variety pack.

Sekhmnet posted:

*edit* trip report: The texture is somewhere between the dry crust on the ouside of a cake frosting and a dense marshmallow; like if you were trying to make taffy and accidently made a marshmallow. I can't taste much beyond sweet but the smell is banana, but then again the smell of new skin liquid bandage is banana. It isn't *bad* tasting, but in a world where peanut butter cups exist why would you settle for this?

So because of this thread I decided to hunt down a bag of these. As described they do have the Spangler branding on them, despite the packaging just being generic store brand.

The description of the texture is pretty spot on, drier than what I typically think of as marshmallow, but still surprisingly moist. Like if a merengue cookie wasn't dry all the way through. The sugar really coats the tongue, the same way cornstarch tends to. It's not a bad texture, but kind of unlike anything I had before.

The banana flavor isn't bad, but seems weaker than the flavor you get off of banana runts or popsicles, and as such a bit more chemical-y. I'd be interested in trying other flavors, but I imagine the cherry tastes more like NyQuil than other cherry candy. Disappointing to hear that the vanilla is bad, as I typically like vanilla candies. Maybe they just use lovely imitation vanilla in the recipe, and it would be OK if they used quality ingredients :shrug:

I actually think if you could make these candies with peanut butter or PB powder they would probably be great

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I stopped by Walgreens and CVS on my lunch break…neither had loving circus peanuts! gently caress em both…

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We're going to cause the largest spike of demand for circus peanuts since... Idk, some year with a 19 in the front

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like gas stations are the place to find circus peanuts, it seems like every one of them has that same display of a bunch of different candy types, all packaged under some generic brand name.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Circus peanuts aren't real and can't hurt you

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If I can’t find some circus peanuts soon I’m gonna start looking for circus penis instead.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

circus peanut soup

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I always wonder is, how fast are the stocks of things like circus peanuts getting replenished on the shelves

How often are people wandering into gas stations and going "oh dip, circus peanuts"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"New! Improved color-fastness! Display your circus peanuts in direct sunlight by the grimy front window of your cornerstore for YEARS without any tell-tale fade!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Like I can order me some circus peanuts on Amazon, but I feel like that’s cheating. I need to find them in the wild.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cartoon Man posted:

If I can’t find some circus peanuts soon I’m gonna start looking for circus penis instead.

Data Graham posted:

What I always wonder is, how fast are the stocks of things like circus peanuts getting replenished on the shelves

How often are people wandering into gas stations and going "oh dip, circus peanuts"
https://near-me.store/en/are-there-any-circuses-near-me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well now I just want to know how many of these have been purchased over the years

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Like I can order me some circus peanuts on Amazon, but I feel like that’s cheating. I need to find them in the wild.

Here's the rub, they make other flavors, cherry, vanilla, lemon...but you can only get them in a gently caress off huge ASSORTED box straight from the factory. It's like the biggest burn ever on people who are sick of the weird rear end banana flavored ones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A mere 7¢ per nut

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God I hope they have just-in-time order fulfillment on those, and not "oh, we got a few left" *Indiana Jones warehouse full*

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Captain Hygiene posted:

A mere 7¢ per nut

Now thats a good deal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What a nutload

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Would.

Brawnfire posted:

We're going to cause the largest spike of demand for circus peanuts since... Idk, some year with a 18 in the front

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Cartoon Man posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well now I just want to know how many of these have been purchased over the years

this is cheap enough that you could just ship them to people you dislike as a joke.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Using circus peanuts as packing peanuts :getin:

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I am not joking that I'm a weirdo who's been buying circus peanuts semi-regularly for years. I rarely eat candy, but it's one of my go-tos.

I've wondered myself about the turnover on these things. Speaking from experience, getting them from random convenience stores means they're gonna be stale and hard. When I get them at the grocery they're so absurdly soft they can almost pass as actual marshmallows.

I used to be able to get the variety packs at just a regular Safeway grocery in Baltimore, though I've since moved and haven't found them anywhere else. The variety packs were not in the candy aisle, but in a random part of the store with just metal racks of generic candies in clear plastic bags (shoutout to the wintergreen lozenges you could get there, too). The cherry and vanilla flavors aren't bad (I'm a fan of vanilla flavor myself), but circus peanuts at the end of the day are basically just sugar with cheap flavoring. The cherry and vanilla flavors just don't have the complexity or kick that the banana and lemon does, imo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Have you dipped any in mayo?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

circus peanut soup
:pastryno:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I have a $10 off coupon from Walgreen's for getting my Omicron booster. Come hell or high water, I will find some bizarro food for this thread.

(Not a Toxx)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ninurta posted:

I have a $10 off coupon from Walgreen's for getting my Omicron booster. Come hell or high water, I will find some bizarro food for this thread.

(Not a Toxx)

If you look at the fine print you need to have a "My Walgreens" account or whatever bullshit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FFT posted:

From the last thread:

Gross. Crunchy peanut butter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"What's for dinner?"
"Tuna salad"
"Great, that doesn't sound too ba-"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

"What's for dinner?"
"Tuna salad"
"Great, that doesn't sound too ba-"

I scanned over the image and started reading the recipe - apart from the "dietetic-pack tuna", it really doesn't seem too weird.
Then I looked the image again, and realized that the chopped lettuce I'd seen before was embedded in lime jelly.

An involuntary "Oh God" was the result.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tuna slop from a can is bad enough on its own. Tuna on top of lettuce embedded within Jello is foul. I don't understand previous generations' obsession with Jello at all.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It looks kind of pretty if you don't think about the fact that it's supposed to be edible

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/17/business-food/purple-tomato-gmo-scn-trnd/index.html

This is supposed to be healthier and have a longer shelf life than a regular tomato but purple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m at a Safeway. There are no loving circus peanuts. Things are looking bleak…

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/17/business-food/purple-tomato-gmo-scn-trnd/index.html

This is supposed to be healthier and have a longer shelf life than a regular tomato but purple.

why is being purple such a big deal?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think the color is pretty attractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Indigo tomatoes have been A Thing for about a decade I believe. They're good, even if their flesh usually isn't purple, so I would eat the new purple tomato with gusto.