Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:(

https://twitter.com/avalaina/status/1570896469997264898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t speak Russian other than taking A1/A2 classes on it like a decade ago, but I do speak other languages with strict grammatical rules.

A thing that English speakers need to keep in mind is that English allows you to be very loose on grammar and word choice etc because there is no authority that says “English must be this way,” but this isn’t the case for other languages. Famous example from German is the word for girl has a grammatical neutral gender (“it”) instead of a grammatical female gender. I assure you no Germans think that girls are “its” even if they use the correct neutral gender in speech and writing.

My point is I don’t think it’s meaningful to look at these word usages in other languages and translate them into a second language, especially one that doesn’t have the same grammar and rules, and use that as a gotcha.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Keisari posted:

Yes, sure, I agree. But on that mission to try to glean that knowledge people, and I mean analysts, sometimes grab onto small things and interpret too much out of it. The restless leg one was interesting, as well as his disappearance, the longer tables and poor posture too. But there are many, many other explanations for this one such as a slip.

Not saying he's not super anxious and probably 5 minutes from a complete mental breakdown all the time, but this to me sounds like that overanalysis on the severodonetsk battle, when people were making sweeping conclusions about the war based on that.

E: I mean, what's next? Analysing how straight or tight his tie is? Don't get me wrong, it's totally important to analyze his public appearances but this one seems like just noise
I think the point is that saying "In Ukraine" instead of "in The Ukraine" is possibly acknowledging the nation. At the very least it's a mistake that might get him sledged on the local propaganda media, or at least have them making excuses for him.

It is also possible that it was just a slip-up, but it doesn't seem like one he would make. To use a (bad) example, it would be like a KiwiFarms poster slipping up and getting his newly transitioned sister's pronouns right.

edited for more clarity

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t speak Russian other than taking A1/A2 classes on it like a decade ago, but I do speak other languages with strict grammatical rules.

A thing that English speakers need to keep in mind is that English allows you to be very loose on grammar and word choice etc because there is no authority that says “English must be this way,” but this isn’t the case for other languages. Famous example from German is the word for girl has a grammatical neutral gender (“it”) instead of a grammatical female gender. I assure you no Germans think that girls are “its” even if they use the correct neutral gender in speech and writing.

My point is I don’t think it’s meaningful to look at these word usages in other languages and translate them into a second language, especially one that doesn’t have the same grammar and rules, and use that as a gotcha.

That's the point, in Russian saying 'na Ukraine' is seen as belittling Ukraine's statehood compared to 'v Ukraine' which is more in line with how you talk about independent countries in general.

https://theconversation.com/its-ukraine-not-the-ukraine-heres-why-178748

quote:

So, does Putin say na Ukraine – “in the Ukraine” – or v Ukraine (“in Ukraine”)? In a subtle twist of diplomacy, the English-language translations of Putin’s recent addresses have him describing “the events in Ukraine”, even though he says “na Ukraine” in Russian throughout his addresses.

Even Putin’s translators see the benefit of sticking with the official English-language name of Ukraine. Perhaps they hope it will make the content more palatable to a Western Anglophone audience. But make no mistake: Putin is arguing that Ukraine’s sovereignty is a historical fiction, and he is underscoring his point by referring to events happening “na,” not “v,” Ukraine. English speakers don’t have to follow him by saying “the.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I think there was enough coming out of that gathering that suggests Putin is under pressure without resorting to that sort of stuff.

India and China publicly pushing back a bit against the war is a political blow to Putin and suggests he's probably on a timeline before Russia loses a couple of it's most powerful backers. A bunch of leaders making a point of keep Putin waiting seems petty but in diplomatic circles that poo poo can carry a lot of weight and sends a pretty strong message.

It's pretty obvious at this point that this is going to be either an indefinite quagmire (and indefinite sanctions) or a Ukrainian victory barring an absolutely calamitous collapse by Ukraine. I'd suggest there's more than a few nations that are starting to feel the collateral damage caused by the sanctions and would like to have the cause of the sanctions resolved.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Absolutely heartbreaking to keep in mind there’s tens of thousands boys and girls like this, and for what, the delusions of 1 mad man :mad:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Russia speakers, pop-psychology set aside, is this accurate on the linguistics point?

https://twitter.com/Ohra_aho/status/1570788049382150148

Addressing both tweets - Tpyxa is technically correct, but functionally misrepresents the message. This is Putin addressing the Chinese delegation with his assurances that he's aware of their reservations regarding the war, and that Russia is not the warmonger of it. Concerning Ohra_aho's tweet, while I don't necessarily agree with the characterization of Putin as nervous/humiliated/desperate there, he only gets the article “right” from the 3rd attempt. For Russian commentators, this was a noteworthy talking point when this first surfaced. To me, the gaffe could be explained simply by him being almost 70 and probably spending a few months this year being up his tits on stimulants, including some very recent events, perhaps.

Nenonen posted:

What's missing is evidence of what articles Putin has used previously. But he does look rather tired compared to most appearances that I have witnessed. It must be stressful planning your routes in Kremlin so that you only go through rooms with no windows.

It's na/on normally, he's quite consistent in his condescension.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Yes and no. One of the points he makes in this week's lectures is that historians expected Kyiv to fold because they've learned about what Ukraine is through the Russian lens, which emphasizes it as kind of a subsidiary entity...like Ukraine just transferred custody of the Kievan Rus legacy to Moscow and then hung around awaiting further instruction. Snyder's whole thing is that he reads a bunch of regional languages and synthesizes things from disparate primary sources.

On broader topic re: perspective in Academia, there was a Twitter discussion a while back where a scholar of Kazakhstan told about how when she was a Ph.D. student all the professors and her classmates were shocked that she... learned Kazakh and worked with Kazakh sources when studying the history of the country; everyone else thought it was sufficient to just know Russian.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OddObserver posted:

On broader topic re: perspective in Academia, there was a Twitter discussion a while back where a scholar of Kazakhstan told about how when she was a Ph.D. student all the professors and her classmates were shocked that she... learned Kazakh and worked with Kazakh sources when studying the history of the country; everyone else thought it was sufficient to just know Russian.

This is such a spot on observation. :hmmyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Even in Russian history you only get so far with mastering only modern Russian. For older archival materials you need church slavonic, French, German and so on, and you have to be expert graphologist too unless someone else has kindly transcribed everything already.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Finland/Sweden NATO ratification progress report:

Slovakia should make it 28/30 within a couple of weeks after which there's only Hungary and Turkey left. Of course, Turkey will drag it out for months at least.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/com...s-the-alliance/

Zat fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 17, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The mass graves should suprise no one, RIA novosti filmed a segment about making them. There are even bigger ones in Mariupol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LochNessMonster posted:

Absolutely heartbreaking to keep in mind there’s tens of thousands boys and girls like this, and for what, the delusions of 1 mad man :mad:
Yeah it's loving horrible. I talked to an acquaintance months ago, pretty early in the war about this. He has two kids I think and went to volunteer, ended up a as a tank driver/mechanic. Lightly wounded and recovered since. We asked why he did this, knowing he has children... and he said that's exactly why he's doing it. Fuuuck now that's not the choice I ever want to make.

This is quite a few pages back but I just had some time to look into it:
It's been years since I seriously played a flight sim so I wanted to refresh a bit how HARMs are operated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g3SHJG8gtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz1ADUK6REQ&t=142s

We've seen they have some kind of tablet stuck in the cockpit but it it's not clear what it actually does, though it looks like some sort of a map or radar scope

There are 3 possible modes for the missile:

POS Fire at pre-determined coordinates, and look for a specific type of target around there
HAS (Harm as Sensor): This lets you see what the missile sensor detects (while still attached) and use that to select and target active radars
HTS: Harm targeting system, but this requires an extra targeting pod which they don't seem to have

Theoretically, I don't see why the tablet wouldn't be able to fully operate the missile in either of the first two modes, completely replicating what you'd have on the MFDs. Again, no idea what it really does but from that photo it seems more complex than just arm/fire buttons or something minimal like that.

The first mode only really needs to tell the missile the coordinates and track when they're within range. Then you just point in the right direction and fire.
The second one would be more involved as you're receiving the sensor data from the missile, but it's probably not rocket science either, I'm guessing it's just an analog signal that can be captured and displayed on the tablet. Then just tell the missile what you're targeting.

Zat posted:

Finland/Sweden NATO ratification progress report:

Slovakia should make it 28/30 within a couple of weeks after which there's only Hungary and Turkey left. Of course, Turkey will drag it out for months at least.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/com...s-the-alliance/
Ah, they saved the best for last

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I know Turkey is basically playing hardball to satisfy Erdogan’s lust for Kurdish death, so in principle he’ll eventually have to agree or he’ll lose whatever awful concessions he’s managed to extract. But Orban’s motivation here is basically that he’s a dictator trying to align Hungary to Russia, right? If he denies accession, what recourse does the rest of NATO have?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

I know Turkey is basically playing hardball to satisfy Erdogan’s lust for Kurdish death, so in principle he’ll eventually have to agree or he’ll lose whatever awful concessions he’s managed to extract. But Orban’s motivation here is basically that he’s a dictator trying to align Hungary to Russia, right? If he denies accession, what recourse does the rest of NATO have?

If he denies accession, there’s no immediate recourse. That said, Orban is an opportunist, rather than someone suicidal enough to try to spite American MIC out of two more client states.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If he denies accession, there’s no immediate recourse. That said, Orban is an opportunist, rather than someone suicidal enough to try to spite American MIC out of two more client states.

also pissing off the entire rest of europe for lulz is not a great idea.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Seriously what good would it be for a European country, no matter how regressive, to keep sucking Putin's dick after all this? People are starting to think he won't even be in power in a couple of years, which was unimaginable in earlier this year.

I think Putin has poo poo on Orban.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A rather interesting write up on ideology of Russian genocidal (a thread -- I am quoting some but not all of it):
https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1571123989954826242

https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1571126146204585984

https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1571126693317996544

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if there's anyone in Russian command thinking about the fact that they're slaughtering and terrorising all the Russian speaking areas of Ukraine. Rather than cleansing Ukraine of nationalists, they've almost certainly removed all Russian support from the most sympathetic parts of the country.

The war is own goals for Russia everywhere you turn.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/oonuch/status/1571129496778199046

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

I wonder if there's anyone in Russian command thinking about the fact that they're slaughtering and terrorising all the Russian speaking areas of Ukraine. Rather than cleansing Ukraine of nationalists, they've almost certainly removed all Russian support from the most sympathetic parts of the country.

The war is own goals for Russia everywhere you turn.

That's assuming they actually care about the people there and don't just want to steal and ethnically cleanse the place, in which case it's a worthy sacrifice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Seriously what good would it be for a European country, no matter how regressive, to keep sucking Putin's dick after all this? People are starting to think he won't even be in power in a couple of years, which was unimaginable in earlier this year.

The thing to recognize here is that Hungary is a failing state economically. Since it has been Orban running the show for a bit over 20 years now, the unravelling of deeply entrenched Russian energy supplies or EU subsidies would kill his party, and everything he's worked for. There'll be no one else to blame for that. And he has accordingly been exchanging favours with Russia and playing into the structural weaknesses of the EU, to maintain the charade.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Orban wants the gas to flow for as long as possible. Hungary getting cut off from cheap Russian gas would devastate Orban's core voters. The inflation is going to hit hard enough as it is - as is the looming threat of EU funds being cut off. Cinci mentioned the US MIC earlier - while it is certainly true that royally pissing off the main US political establishment is a really bad idea, I do think he's far more worried about EU retribution. As it is he can lean into the hesitancy of some EU countries when it comes to sanctions and burning bridges towards Russia - he can also use the Hungarian votes in EU and NATO as a much needed bargaining chip. He also has a voter base that is quite pro-Russia and anti-EU, so he benefits from keeping up the defiant posturing (which is a vicious circle entrenching his voter base in said bias).

I don't think he expects any payoff from Kremlin itself. He is no fool and can see what the geo-political landscape of Europe looks like right now. In a post-Putin world, perhaps, Hungary stands to benefit from being poised to restablish economic and political relations asap. But currently? It's all posturing and bargaining. If he actually had any faith in the alliance (or there is kompromat to the same effect), he could have been much more of a pain when it comes to obstructing sanctions and aid. Also note how much time and energy he devotes to building relations with US Republicans. He's positioning himself as a key EU ally for a future Republican president. Depending on the endgame of this war and the upcoming US presidential election, he could come out in an extremely good position to benefit from good relation with post-Putin Russia and a Republican USA. It doesn't even hurt him too much if the president isn't republican. He's also keeping his support of Ukraine at a level where he is not openly hostile and could pivot to a position of being a helpful neighbor in the case of a major Ukrainian victory.

I really don't like Orban, but he has played his hand reasonably well so far - balancing bargaining power, public perception, future relations to Russia, opportunistically entrenching his pseudo-autocracy, etc. He knows that if EU unity and economic integration falls apart, Hungary does not stand to benefit, so he's not doing actual sabotage. He's just being an opportunist who has lucked upon the special status of being an autocrat within the the European Union, something which it isn't at all designed to handle, and which I am not sure is fixable until a harsh economic recession and/or the Hungarian people themselves fix it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

A rather interesting write up on ideology of Russian genocidal (a thread -- I am quoting some but not all of it):
https://mobile.twitter.com/notabanderite/status/1571123989954826242

It's an old post, maybe back from the time of Russia's 'gesture of goodwill' near Kyiv, because the channel now has 37k subscriber, and there's only 26k on the screenshot. While general interest in the 'special military operation' in Russian is on the decline even among the people who nominally support it, the more radical far right groups get more attention. More and more people think the war is not going according to plan, but instead of realising the war was a mistake from the start and shouldn't have happened, they are being funnelled to the Russian far right who criticise its implementation, and maybe even Putin, and call for escalation. That's also why it's important to have the more mainstream propagandists on TV echo this rhetoric to both appropriate it, and make sure that even if people stop watching TV, they'll be more inclined to radicalise in the right direction.

Also, the [not the time yet] (пока не время) in that post means Jews. I've been seeing it used a lot, so I guess far right influencers think telegram has some kind of automatic alert when someone says kikes (жиды) too often, and they're playing coy not to get their channels removed.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The thing to recognize here is that Hungary is a failing state economically. Since it has been Orban running the show for a bit over 20 years now, the unravelling of deeply entrenched Russian energy supplies or EU subsidies would kill his party, and everything he's worked for. There'll be no one else to blame for that. And he has accordingly been exchanging favours with Russia and playing into the structural weaknesses of the EU, to maintain the charade.

The interesting part is that Ukraine controls the gas shipments. The pipelines that transport Russian gas to Hungary, which are critically important for the Hungarian economy, run smack right through the entire length of central Ukraine. Ukraine allows Russia to transit the gas, even in the middle of the war, because they are siphoning the gas they need themselves from the line. And Russia cannot prevent this because it's the only way to get gas to Orban, who they really don't want to cut off.

Once Ukraine has other viable supplies, they can just decide to not allow transshipment anymore, or just hike the charges/proportion they siphon up.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Has Putin ever released kompromat on anyone? Right now Orban could just say it's deepfakes made by a country desperate to stay relevant.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Has Putin ever released kompromat on anyone? Right now Orban could just say it's deepfakes made by a country desperate to stay relevant.

There's no reason anyway to believe that Putin is blackmailing Orban when it is clear that Hungary needs that sweet, sweet natural gas.

Speaking of which, Greenpeace blocked the unloading of a shipment of Russian LNG to northern Finnish port of Tornio today.

quote:

Activists from the environmental organisation Greenpeace have blocked the unloading of Russian liquefied natural gas (LNG) at the port of Röyttä in Tornio on Saturday.

The vessel in question belongs to Gasum, a Finnish state-owned energy company. Greenpeace protesters have boarded the terminal's loading arm and paddlers are preventing the vessel from docking, according to a Greenpeace press release.

Olga Väisänen, Gasum's Communications and Sustainability Manager, says the vessel will wait at sea until the situation subsides.

- As far as I know, everything has gone peacefully on the ground and our vessel is waiting until it is safe to enter the port," says Ms Väisänen.

Greenpeace activists are calling on the Finnish government to immediately ban all imports of Russian fossil fuels.

- It is incomprehensible that the government led by Sanna Marin (SDP) still allows the import of fossil fuels that finance the war machine, even though Russia's war of aggression in Ukraine has been going on for more than six months, says Olli Tiainen, climate and energy expert at Greenpeace Norden.

Olga Väisänen stresses that Gasum is acting in accordance with the restrictions.

- At the moment there are no restrictions on gas imports, neither in the EU nor anywhere else where Gasum operates. Of course, we are monitoring the situation closely and will comply with any restrictions that may be imposed," says Väisänen.

According to Väisänen, Gasum has a long-term contract with the Russian company Gazprom Export, and currently they import a minimum amount of LNG.

- This is a so-called "take or pay" agreement. So in any case we have to get the minimum amount from there. If we do not, we have to pay for it anyway. The other side has not made any changes or demands since the war started, so it is still binding.

According to Väisänen, most of Gasum's LNG comes from outside Russia.

- We have a long-term contract for the production of a liquefaction plant in Norway, for example, and we also source LNG via terminals in Central Europe," says Väisänen.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12628497

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Also, the [not the time yet] (пока не время) in that post means Jews. I've been seeing it used a lot, so I guess far right influencers think telegram has some kind of automatic alert when someone says kikes (жиды) too often, and they're playing coy not to get their channels removed.
Oh wow. I guess that's something that can be deduced from context but I never tried to pay that much attention to their nazis so that's something new :stare:

Speaking of planes, I remember early on there were a lot of discussion about how to hand over airplanes to Ukraine without flying them from NATO territory (as if that actually mattered somehow but w/e). This video talks a bit about how this company got like 30 F-16s from Israel. Undo 16 bolts on each wing, take them off, stick the body in a plane (RIP Mriya) or on a truck/train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Sa0vzmBfs

Nenonen posted:

There's no reason anyway to believe that Putin is blackmailing Orban when it is clear that Hungary needs that sweet, sweet natural gas.

Speaking of which, Greenpeace blocked the unloading of a shipment of Russian LNG to northern Finnish port of Tornio today.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12628497
Lol. What will happen if they just don't pay? Are they going to invade?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol. What will happen if they just don't pay? Are they going to invade?

There's laws and stuff.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Ah, they saved the best for last

Turkey has also been super bitchy about Greece lately, demanding them to demilitarise certain islands and saying that they Greece should never have been admitted to NATO.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Tarezax posted:

I think you're misunderstanding the post. They're implying that the ammo will be returned business end first, aka shooting it back

Alright I'm an idiot

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nenonen posted:

Turkey has also been super bitchy about Greece lately, demanding them to demilitarise certain islands and saying that they Greece should never have been admitted to NATO.

It’s the other way around, given the path that Turkey has decided to go down.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1571205985598951426

Gun battle with partisans?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 17, 2022

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Jamsque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_A5TTQMm0

Cannot recommend these lectures strongly enough, if you are not following them you are missing out. Some of the language issues that have come up in the last few pages here are addressed.

I meant to say something earlier but will say it now. That was a great recommendation and a nice aside from the war coverage. The first few lectures priming the class for historical analysis was very esoteric, but it seems it will be more concrete with each coming lecture.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Looks like it. A few tweets say the Russians are firing into empty and abandoned buildings where the partisans are holed up. I wonder if their cover was blown and the Russians figured out where they were based.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Some more footage here

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1571208714866016256

Either their overreacting massively, or they've got a serious fight on their hands.

Seems the fire is going both ways at least

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1571211948242489353

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I call it "Turkiye"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Chalks posted:

Some more footage here

Either their overreacting massively, or they've got a serious fight on their hands.

Seems the fire is going both ways at least

Confirmation of this earlier post?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1570864032672026624

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1570864032672026624.html

Enjoy posted:

That post didn’t look convincing back then, and the videos don’t do anything to corroborate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Enjoy posted:

It's a possibility - but it would have to be a separate incident from the one referenced in this tweet from 6 days ago.

Russian media is reporting a "counter-terrorism operation" in Kherson so that sounds like it's partisans - assuming they're talking about the fighting we're seeing.