Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Welcome to the newest member of the IK team, Festflyver Prebensen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Scandinavia explainer

A moose whisperer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alhazred posted:

A moose whisperer.

There’s the Canadian mod cabal for that

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

A moose whisperer.

This is Denmark erasure. It's cool and good

Has anyone nominated Svennebanan?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ahem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Actually yeah I can get behind this. BP is basically the posting equivalent of mayo, bland, centrist and uncontroversial. Great on rekesmørbrød.
Wow, the Norwegians are carrying out a harassment campaign against me.

That's an elk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Canadians are just lost scandinavians.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's an elk.
....what?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

....what?

Älk. Hirvi.

For some reason the colonizers started calling caribous as elks and invented a new name for the Canadian moose. Doesn't mean that we have to mimic their error.

Even in Latin it's Alces alces and Alces americanus, not Mooses mooses.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Meese meese :eng99:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Älk. Hirvi.

For some reason the colonizers started calling caribous as elks and invented a new name for the Canadian moose. Doesn't mean that we have to mimic their error.

Elg.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Börk börk

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Wikipedia posted:

The word "elk" has cognates in other Indo-European languages, e.g. elg in Danish/Norwegian; älg in Swedish; alnis in Latvian; Elch in German; and łoś in Polish.[8] In the continental European languages, these forms of the word "elk" always refer to Alces alces.

quote:

The moose (in North America) or elk (in Eurasia) (Alces alces) is a member of the New World deer subfamily and is the largest and heaviest extant species in the deer family.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 17, 2022

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ælj

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hirvi more like hirviö

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nenonen posted:

Älk. Hirvi.

I think caribou are reindeer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Älg Seger

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

big scary monsters posted:

I think caribou are reindeer.

yeah, what people in north america call elk is what we know as "wapiti deer" (a large american cousin of our fallow and red deers), not reindeers.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 17, 2022

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

Trick question: you take the train to Nørrebro and go to whoever won the Nørrebrogade kebab championship latest.
Eh, Kösem kept winning for a few years there, and it is incredibly mediocre. I think throwing in some shredded red cabbage was enough for idiots to think it was "fancy" and vote for them.

The best spot is Kösk, which is one of the few places west of Nørrebro Station.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, the real answer is gently caress kebab/falafel, go to Ali's Bageri and get manaqish. (Seriously recommend if you're in Copenhagen, it's Arabic speaking first and very much a community, so you get to feel both welcome but also definitely like an outsider, which is probably good for us whities. Be sure to go to the Heimdalsgade backyard)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wow, the Norwegians are carrying out a harassment campaign against me.

What you need to do is understand that this is a game of hot potato, and if you don't want it you need to pass it on. For example to alhazred who's already a kindergarten teacher and therefore excellent for this role.

(Sorry, but after someone suggested nominating from the other Scandinavian thread I had to jump in!)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NFX posted:

What you need to do is understand that this is a game of hot potato, and if you don't want it you need to pass it on. For example to alhazred who's already a kindergarten teacher and therefore excellent for this role.

I wouldn't probe anyone because "putting kids in time out" is a huge no-no in pedagogy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Who spares the banhammer hates the goon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Who spares the banhammer hates the goon.

A idiot king can't ban people though?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alhazred posted:

A idiot king can't ban people though?

Actually we can, we just choose not to.

Because we hate goons!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IKs can submit a ban, but, much like mods, they’ll need to wait for an admin to approve it. Anyway, how’s the day 2 of elk council?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Anyway, how’s the day 2 of elk council?

It's møving aløng nicely.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Alhazred posted:

It's møving aløng nicely.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a møøse in the wøøds.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Elk is a stupid name for a moose.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Fun moose story. I once went to a moose reserve where you get to drive around and feed moose leaves at specific points of the route. You extend a leafy branch they hand you to the moose, and they come over and just munch on it and drool all over you. A moose then tried to eat my arm as I went to feed it, as it mistook my green Nordic Fitness armband for a leaf.

Anyway, so there's no recourse whatsoever to block a right wing government? No like, L dissenters or anything like that?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A moose will loving kill you if it gets the chance though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was out walking the dog in the forest a few weeks back and surprised a moose, which then chased us like 500m along the trail. I guess it wasn't too serious about trampling me because it let us go once we were around the corner. loving terrifying though, they are very big and if it had wanted to catch us there's no way I'd have outrun it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My only moose story is that once upon a time, one of my dad’s cousins went fishing. A quiet lake, not too far from Riga. While he was fishing from his boat, a moose came out to the lake, to drink some water. Suddenly, he noticed that his hunting rifle somehow appeared in the fishing boat, spontaneously discharging out of an assured technical malfunction. Most regrettably, the shot noise startled the moose, causing it to jump in the bullet’s way. Having incurred damage incompatible with life that way, the moose collapsed right there, on the beach. My dad’s cousin, responsible person as he is, judged it untoward to leave a rotting moose on the beach, and so he took care of cleaning up the site of the accident, inviting an acquaintance to assist him. The acquaintance, entirely accidentally, happened to know people at the butchery, and so my family did receive a few kilograms of elk salami. Rest in peace :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My father used to rent out his cabin to hunters in exchange for a part of the meat. One time he got half a moose and made a deal with a culinary school where they got to learn how butcher a moose and he got ready cut moose for nothing.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Alhazred posted:

When I did the riskutbildning for my driver's license the instructor was like "if you're driving a passenger car and you collide with a moose, chances are that you won't survive. So don't worry about it."

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

fnox posted:

Anyway, so there's no recourse whatsoever to block a right wing government? No like, L dissenters or anything like that?

You're acting like the L of 2022 isn't just Moderaterna-with-a-dick-logo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My train almost squished a moose this morning. The stupid bastards have no problem getting within the railroad fences but then can’t find themselves a way out.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

whos the runt of the litter for the c-leadership spot?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alhazred posted:

Not if I see it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I haven't met a kill moose but I have met lots of elks close by. One was a child, I met it on a path near my then home. It was chewing on a bit of a tree by the path. I formally greeted them and waited if it was okay to walk past. They didn't seem to object so I passed them with one metre between us.

Unfortunate for the elk, the police finished it off after trying to drive it away from urban area.

The other times they have been alerted by my presence, sometimes I have seen them before they smelled me and other times I just heard them rushing past me. Never have I felt threatened by elks in forest. On road a couple of times, but not seriously. But again, I have never seen a moose because they don't exist at least in Europe.