Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

someone on DU made a good point:

quote:

I find it strange that no outrage was given when buses were loaded for New York City, Chicago, Washington DC (even in front of the Vice President house!). But 50 go to Martha’s Vineyard and now the attention is everywhere.

why is this so different when the buses have been going to big cities from texas for months? why is this the kidnapping & trafficking whereas the others weren't?

is it bc the immigrants were flown there? is it bc it's such a small place that the govs knew they'd be transported elsewhere so they chose it for the optics? is it bc the obamas have a home there?

all of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

eg, from the nyt:

quote:

Since April, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas has bused over 7,900 migrants from the state to Washington, D.C. In August, he began sending migrants to New York. Now, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida is getting in on the act, sending two planeloads of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts.

since april.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's really cool that what is essentially human trafficking is now being used as a publicity stunt.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Vim Fuego posted:

Why would you take that job

money can be exchanged for goods and services

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think this time they didnt come from the immigration holding facility on the border they were already released and offered fake jobs off the street

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

so it's a way to punish employees for taking PTO

lol I hope they strike

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vim Fuego posted:

you like OT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's really cool that what is essentially human trafficking is now being used as a publicity stunt.

How many years away are we from republican governors just killing migrants on live TV?

mystes
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I hope they strike
Isn't it a way to punish employees for taking unpaid time off?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i think this time they didnt come from the immigration holding facility on the border they were already released and offered fake jobs off the street

yah, this makes sense, also that they were asylum-seekers escaping the dictator non-president maduro, which makes them political pawns of another sort.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I hope they strike

that's for unpaid absences not even PTO

https://twitter.com/MMEJM3/status/1571122051204939777

the only way they get days off (still unpaid) is to do 6-7 shifts in a row with less than 24hrs between shifts:

https://twitter.com/a7_blu/status/1571126526216908800

"calling off" is what gets you career points

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

what the gently caress is a career point

points are extremely common in blue collar work from my experience. Last place I worked wasn't as free with giving out points as that, and you actually got time off, but unscheduled time off without sick days got you a point, and it took 6 months without a point to come off unless you had 3+ points, in which case they took 1 year of not getting points to all come off at once. 5+ points was instant firing

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
what the gently caress

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Where do you go to learn how to drive a locomotive?

Training

:D

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also the railroad will start the clock for your "time off" even if they've put you in the middle of loving nowhere far far away from your actual home.

https://twitter.com/babyyyeahhhh/status/1571147963627634688

so instead of getting to enjoy 24 hours with your family you get to enjoy 24 hours in gillette wyoming.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

Some people are just crazy for trains

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jesus, those are worse rules than dnd's

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

the only way they get days off (still unpaid) is to do 6-7 shifts in a row with less than 24hrs between shifts:

lol that's insane

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Willa Rogers posted:

jesus, those are worse rules than dnd's

2 week probation but when you get off probation your homepage is set to huffingtonpost and your bookmarks are deleted

mystes
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol that's insane

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Trabisnikof posted:

It must pay well? Why would anyone sign up for this poo poo?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Substandard posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that it pays extremely well, or at least it did. Had a friend of a friend who was an engineer and managed to retire in his late 40s because he worked nonstop and banked everything until he had gently caress-you money.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also inertia from family and friends in your community on the whole recommending it as an employer cos they pay.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

people who made these HR policies are the same people who think the way to increase school achievement is "force parents to come to meetings and if they don't come, expel the student"

that's a very sort of liberal scolding observation but I've made it! it's come out

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Substandard posted:

yeah especially for the rural communities that a lot of railroad workers are based in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

democrats trying to end no premiums health care for nyc public workers and retirees.

vote blue baby

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nonsense posted:

Also inertia from family and friends in your community on the whole recommending it as an employer cos they pay.

Yeah usually the answer to "why did you take this poo poo job?" is "well my dad got me in when I was 18 and it was either this or McDonalds"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Adam Johnson figured out who runs that awful Occupy Democrats account

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1571169230338330624?s=20&t=zPyFeqz2opiuJz2r7Pol5Q

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

Omar Rivero is standing cross-armed in his light-filled Los Angeles pool house, urging one of his employees to finish a meme about the "Republican Hypocrites of the Year," when the news breaks: The president has just signed a memo banning transgender people from the military.

"Oh, I hate Donald Trump!" Rivero exclaims after his girlfriend reads the breaking story aloud from a Twitter feed. The trim, 30-year-old Rivero, dressed casually in a V-neck tee, shorts, and Adidas sneakers, shakes his head while skimming the presidential memo over a staffer's shoulder.

He already has a headline. "Trump just signed a deplorable executive order under the cover of Hurricane Harvey," he tells one of the writers, who types those words on his MacBook but suggests they avoid deplorable. "Use disgusting or something," Rivero replies. He moves on to the excerpt that will show up in their Facebook link.

"With America distracted," he dictates, pausing a moment to think, "the president quietly took action. Boom. Hurry up."

Rivero tracks the page views on one of the computers in the room, which is dominated by French doors offering a bucolic view of an orange tree, a Ping-Pong table, and a pool. An analytics site shows 3,600 people reading the new piece. "drat, this thing is looking beautiful," a grinning Rivero says, prompting an "Oh, baby!" from one of the staffers. "It's on the stairway to Heaven."

Jesus loving Christ

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

points are extremely common in blue collar work from my experience. Last place I worked wasn't as free with giving out points as that, and you actually got time off, but unscheduled time off without sick days got you a point, and it took 6 months without a point to come off unless you had 3+ points, in which case they took 1 year of not getting points to all come off at once. 5+ points was instant firing

lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

Omar is standing in the Pottery Barn-style kitchen of his Los Angeles home, which is packed with the vegan food McLain has gotten him hooked on lately. He's talking about the future of Occupy Democrats: the video studio he plans to build in what is now the master bedroom, the meetings he's scheduling with Democratic Party brass. Then he makes a bold pronouncement.

"If Hillary would have given me $20 million, we wouldn't have President Trump," he declares. "That's a guarantee."

And what did Hillary do?

quote:

He tried to get hands-on last year. In the final weeks before the election, Omar says, he offered his assistance to the Clinton campaign. But he was ignored until the very end, when they gave him a small amount of funding to promote "Pantsuits for Hillary Clinton" videos. Meanwhile, according to a Bloomberg report, the Trump campaign was spending millions of dollars on Facebook "dark posts" — so named because they aren't public. One example was a cartoon of Clinton accompanied by text saying she "thinks African Americans are super predators," which targeted certain African-American voters. The goal? To persuade them not to go to the polls.

"They're mind-warping people," Omar says, recounting the story. "And here comes Hillary, and they're like, 'OK, pantsuits.'"

The Democrats, in other words, were totally outmaneuvered on Facebook.

:rubby:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Asproigerosis posted:

What's wrong with her face

she went to the doctor and said give me the face smashed with an anvil look

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I used to work in a Pratt and Whitney factory. Same kinda deal. You'd accrue points for using sick time or calling out. Get too many and you'd end up with a warning or fired. Only way to lose points was to work holidays. They also mandated 12 days on followed by 2 days off as the standard schedule. Paid well but the place was a poo poo show.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is it possible to make a normal post about chrissy teigen

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

is it possible to make a normal post about chrissy teigen

If you need to ask you know the answer

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

lobster shirt posted:

chrissy teigen

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol that's insane

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ah a celebrity lost a pregnancy? time for some epic owns, take that dumb lib!

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

joepinetree posted:

Ms. Decolonize your plate and eat sugar literally works for a company that uses children from Mali as slaves to harvest cocoa.

decolonize your plate and face to bloodsugar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

remember the 40 hour work week lmao