Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a no mmo rule is too far. a simple levelling of the playing field is all thats needed: nromal games w major dlc get to have it counted like the mmos do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
radical goty anarchy. a sandwich is goty

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
when was major dlc not counted? you could always put that down if you wanted to

rox
Sep 7, 2016

hmm only 3 months for me to play a fifth game, its gonna be real close

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If a rerelease of an older game includes all of the dlc, does that all get counted as one game or several? Is dark souls 2 scholar of the 1st sin one game, or four?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

If a rerelease of an older game includes all of the dlc, does that all get counted as one game or several? Is dark souls 2 scholar of the 1st sin one game, or four?

Five: DS2, each of the dlc, then DS2 combined with the dlc in one package.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here is my 2015 goty list:

5. Ivory King (DS2)
4. Iron King (DS2)
3. DS2
2. Sunken King (DS2)
1. DS2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iron over Ivory is controversial

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Wo Long demo is loving rad. I'm probably going to play through at least a few times.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just really hate the teleporting ice horses

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

wuggles posted:

I've been streaming an hour of it a few mornings each week and yeah, this. This morning I took the shortcut to Liurnia, doubled back around to Margit, and beat him one try with my buddies Sorcerer Rogier and The Jellyfish because I'd spent the last 10 hours doing side stuff and becoming a swole magician.

Swole magician is a rad playstyle, even if you’re gonna mostly be hitting fodder enemies with a sword you still get to use Dark Moon Greatsword, Moonveil, or just making a great sword out of magic.

The worst part of replaying is being real hesitant about upgrading weapons, now that I know if I’m not speccing for a unique faith sword (which I think are mid-lategame anyway) I have to be selective about upgrading instead of just doing whatever and finding out later I messed up and I don’t even have a +1 yet.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 17, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

The Wo Long demo is loving rad. I'm probably going to play through at least a few times.

what platform is the demo on?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

How close to Nioh does it feel?

Kerrzhe posted:

what platform is the demo on?

Just ps5 sadly

e: nope Xbox too but no PC

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ps5 almost had a game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I just really hate the teleporting ice horses

True but the conclusion of Burnt Ivory King being taken down with your bros was absolutely goated

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the sunken king being the highest is the strangest part, it's kind of a slog outside a cool boss or two

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

True but the conclusion of Burnt Ivory King being taken down with your bros was absolutely goated

this

also reindeer hell is ftw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's one of the best parts of the series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

stev posted:

Wait what PSVR games are people upset about losing? The four or five actual games will probably just be patched to support VR2.

The only PSVR game I had any interest in was the Zone of the Enders port. If you're very confident that Konami will support it, I guess you are allowed to believe that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

the sunken king being the highest is the strangest part, it's kind of a slog outside a cool boss or two

I do like the switch puzzles and light platforming. Its nice to see that thing back in an adventure RPG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

i think it successfully captures that sense of exploring some dangerous, lost city better than any other fromsoft title with how labyrinthine and filled to the brim with traps it is. it's also one of the only areas of the dark souls games that has a couple clever bits of moving geometry to enhance exploration (the rotating doors and the rising pillars respectively), which makes it highly memorable

for my money, i think brume tower is the best in terms of overall level design and variety, but shulva has an unmatched aesthetic quality

May 8, 2006

to be clear i don't dislike the sunken king - i agree with both these posts. i guess what i mean(aside from just poking fun at the dark souls 'consensus') is that outside of the aesthetic and the puzzles i find the various knights and such that you encounter to be really unengaging. in my memory this takes of much more of your time there than the good parts. thinking about it I would have enjoyed it as much, or more, if most of the standard enemies were simply gone.

of the souls games though i think - even counting the lovely horse blizzard and all - dark souls 2 has the strongest overall dlc in the trilogy. AotA is good for the time you're fighting Artorias or Kalameet and is otherwise just fine. there's lots stuff to like in 3's dlcs but a bit too much of it is pointed at the harder = better fans and at the time it came out i was a bit burnt out on the whole formula. i've considered revisiting it on whatever the most busted ds3 build is sometime in the future though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
fuuuuck, itunes ate up a decade's worth of my loved-tagged songs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the general tone of Ooilicial in the Dark Souls DLC was good. and the Marvelous Chester invasion was a nice prelude to the rear end in a top hat in DKS2, but yeah the rest the DLC was only okay.

Never played the 3 DLC's, just never had a desire to

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

to be clear i don't dislike the sunken king - i agree with both these posts. i guess what i mean(aside from just poking fun at the dark souls 'consensus') is that outside of the aesthetic and the puzzles i find the various knights and such that you encounter to be really unengaging. in my memory this takes of much more of your time there than the good parts. thinking about it I would have enjoyed it as much, or more, if most of the standard enemies were simply gone.

of the souls games though i think - even counting the lovely horse blizzard and all - dark souls 2 has the strongest overall dlc in the trilogy. AotA is good for the time you're fighting Artorias or Kalameet and is otherwise just fine. there's lots stuff to like in 3's dlcs but a bit too much of it is pointed at the harder = better fans and at the time it came out i was a bit burnt out on the whole formula. i've considered revisiting it on whatever the most busted ds3 build is sometime in the future though.

all of base ds3 was boring pandering so it is no shock to me the dlcs i never played are also this iway

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked DS2 but one thing I remember was very bad in a funny way.

For the Ivory King fight there was a mechanic where you could get about 5 NPC buddies to join you in the fight. My buddies were surrounding the boss and I figured I'd get a hit in while he was distracted. I swung my greatsword through my buddies (no friendly fire) to hit the boss and it instantly shattered to pieces because the durability system damages your weapon when it is in contact with an NPC model.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I really like the boss fights in the DS3 dlcs, and the return of the Old Monk gimmick in Sunken City or City of Rings or w/e is really great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

all of base ds3 was boring pandering so it is no shock to me the dlcs i never played are also this iway

there's still some charlatans out there who will try to convince you midir is a good boss fight. don't believe their lies

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sunken King is a love letter to King's Field 4, which Dark Souls 2 was already paying homage to in a few other areas.

Isn't the Ivory King like one of the few legitimately 100% good and competent monarchs in the whole DS trilogy before his fall?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

I liked a lot of DS3’s DLC that I engaged with, but I stopped at the Twin Demon Princes because it does something I’ve come to loathe in Soulsborne games, when they make you fight a full length not very hard boss only to throw a basically new one at you that you have to learn by beating the easy boss again and again. Maybe it’ll be more fun with a dex build to exploit their bleed vulnerability.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I liked a lot of DS3’s DLC that I engaged with, but I stopped at the Twin Demon Princes because it does something I’ve come to loathe in Soulsborne games, when they make you fight a full length not very hard boss only to throw a basically new one at you that you have to learn by beating the easy boss again and again. Maybe it’ll be more fun with a dex build to exploit their bleed vulnerability.

I hate those bosses too but I've been playing Sekiro again lately and just beat Guardian Ape today and decided it might be one of my favourite FromSoftware bosses because it was pretty fair but seemed to required almost pretty much the opposite approach to the first phase in order to beat the second.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 17, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Redezga posted:

I hate those bosses too but I've been playing Sekiro again lately and just beat Guardian Ape today and decided it might be one of my favourite FromSoftware bosses because it was pretty fair but seemed to required almost pretty much the opposite approach to the first phase in order to beat the second.

Sekiro has some janky bits like Heat/Terror inflicting bosses that keep it from being an all-time GOAT (still 9/10 tho) but it generally avoids feeling anywhere near as tedious about it because gitting gud itself means phase 1 goes by way quicker. I was pretty pissed when I found out Lady Butterfly had another phase after struggling and struggling to beat part 1 but in my successful attempt I did enough posture damage to beat both phases while only getting her HP bars to halfway down, and the same applies for most bosses

Elden Ring is also “better” about it, in the sense that you can just leave instead of ramming your head against the wall and do one of the umpteen not-chalice dungeons too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

Sunken King is a love letter to King's Field 4, which Dark Souls 2 was already paying homage to in a few other areas.

Isn't the Ivory King like one of the few legitimately 100% good and competent monarchs in the whole DS trilogy before his fall?

Yep, he also figured out Alsanna for what she was and accepted her anyway. His only flaw is being just as bad at the Bed of Chaos fight as anyone else

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
til SvR09 let's you set your barbed wire 2x4s on fire :stonklol:

e: Kofi Kingston has his SOS music yessssssssssss

Rarity fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 17, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Sekiro has some janky bits like Heat/Terror inflicting bosses that keep it from being an all-time GOAT (still 9/10 tho) but it generally avoids feeling anywhere near as tedious about it because gitting gud itself means phase 1 goes by way quicker. I was pretty pissed when I found out Lady Butterfly had another phase after struggling and struggling to beat part 1 but in my successful attempt I did enough posture damage to beat both phases while only getting her HP bars to halfway down, and the same applies for most bosses

Elden Ring is also “better” about it, in the sense that you can just leave instead of ramming your head against the wall and do one of the umpteen not-chalice dungeons too.

someone didnt work out how to deal with terror bosses

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I skipped the floating ghost guy fights because I didn't find them fun to play but it's not that they're poorly designed out anything, I just didn't feel like doing multiple of the same guy when I had "actual" bosses to go do

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

e: Kofi Kingston has his SOS music yessssssssssss

That's the good poo poo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stux posted:

someone didnt work out how to deal with terror bosses

Genuinely asking, no sarcasm: how am I “supposed” to deal with terror-inflicting bosses? I used divine confetti on all of them and it was just pretty easy, was there some other way besides either doing that or plinking away monotonously at them since they’re zombie guys who take nearly no HP damage without it?

Also, no sarcasm, genuine question: do you think Burn/Terror doesn’t detract from the game? I don’t mean stuff like Headless Ape’s terror yell move that’s telegraphed or Corrupted Monk’s puking attack, but it’s kinda lame to fight the (grounded) Headless and have to periodically retreat because even if you do perfect deflect chains you’ll die if you don’t cure your Terror, or Demon of Hatred being an otherwise sick fight except, again, perfect deflect chains still mean burn buildup.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think i focused on dodging doh's attacks, parrying didn't seem worth it. but the respective umbrellas block both status ailments pretty thoroughly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Also, no sarcasm, genuine question: do you think Burn/Terror doesn’t detract from the game? I don’t mean stuff like Headless Ape’s terror yell move that’s telegraphed or Corrupted Monk’s puking attack, but it’s kinda lame to fight the (grounded) Headless and have to periodically retreat because even if you do perfect deflect chains you’ll die if you don’t cure your Terror, or Demon of Hatred being an otherwise sick fight except, again, perfect deflect chains still mean burn buildup.

It's generally agrees the Headless suck for thoae reasons, but the reason DoH gets called a Dark Souls boss is because it's a fight best dealt with by dodging and ignoring the burn buildup altogether, which makes getting stance breaks basically impossible but is much much safer