Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

(why do techbros hate trains so much?)

trains are capital heavy infrastructure that can only be built and maintained with government investment and central planning. while private train lines exist they still are heavily regulated and have all sorts of fixed liabilities that can't easily be offloaded (overworking employees easily leads to crippling strikes that can paralyze the entire country, especially since workers can't be replaced anywhere near as easily as other industries. the US is currently facing this problem). very little potential for "disruption" other than the old fashioned "build something and maintain it with public money for a reason other than profit."

techbros on the other hand like asset light businesses like software, branding and crypto because they provide the ludicrous ROI venture capitalists demand and also play into the "consumer choice" narrative that nothing needs to change and you can just gee-whiz buy your way to a brighter future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What if we disrupted the commerical rail industry with an app that would allow you to reserve freight capacity as needed from your phone

Railr

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

(why do techbros hate trains so much?)
Trains do have actual disadvantages compared to roads. Even if you are building from nothing, it's much more expensive to build rail compared to road. Trains have lower operating costs though. The usual place this comes up is buses vs light rail for public transit. People have more warm fuzzies for light rail, but it usually doesn't actually make sense compared to using the same exclusive right-of-way and money for expanded bus service

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me my town has bus service, and it's possibly significantly less carbon waste than cars. Some of the buses are electric (so that depends on power generation) and the rest are LPG. I have no idea where LPG stands as far as carbon footprint but I'm guessing it's less than Diesel since they switched the whole fleet away from diesel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Foxfire_ posted:

Trains do have actual disadvantages compared to roads. Even if you are building from nothing, it's much more expensive to build rail compared to road. Trains have lower operating costs though. The usual place this comes up is buses vs light rail for public transit. People have more warm fuzzies for light rail, but it usually doesn't actually make sense compared to using the same exclusive right-of-way and money for expanded bus service

It's because bus stops suck rear end, and you have to talk to the driver sometimes. These things have no place in our utopia!

But, real answer: I think buses feel less efficient because they stop all over the goddamn place and if you're travelling in an unfamiliar place, you can't simply have instructions like "get off at XYZ station" because you have to know where the stop is and what it looks like in order to request the stop, or trust that you can ask the driver to help you and he'll actually remember by the time you get to where you're meant to get off. BRT gets around this to some degree, but it has negative associations because of what people remember from traditional bus routes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^^^ - I'm glad my city's service is competently funded and run. Also we have two real time bus location apps.

Buses expose normals to the possibility that POORS might be living among them (and lowering their property values)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 14, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sage Grimm posted:

https://twitter.com/mikewayland/status/1562518465587851265

Name the various things that could go wrong with bringing platooning autonomous driving via wi-fi over to individual vehicles

What do you mean? My wifi has never had an interrupted connection and I've never seen any of my neighbor's printers, modems or phones show up on my network. And certainly all of them had passwords.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"No, of course the lead vehicle will never need to perform an emergency stop with the following vehicle at a distance that cops would consider reckless tailgating."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mister Facetious posted:

"No, of course the lead vehicle will never need to perform an emergency stop with the following vehicle at a distance that cops would consider reckless tailgating."

"Following another automated car, and braking when needed" is basically the easiest task you can give a self-driving vehicle

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Name the various things that could go wrong with bringing platooning autonomous driving via wi-fi over to individual vehicles

Isn't having two little engines a lot less efficient than one big engine?

Mister Facetious posted:

Buses expose normals to the possibility that POORS might be living among them (and lowering their property values)

On the other hand, some women I know have told me that they hated taking the bus in college, because creepy men would creep on them on the bus and at the bus stop, where they couldn't really get away from them. The issue wasn't that poor people were using the service, it was that bad people were, and the nature of a bus makes it hard to get away from bad people.

Stexils posted:

software, branding and crypto because they provide the ludicrous ROI venture capitalists demand

But why do these things have ludicrous ROI? Especially crypto. There's no actual product! How can there be any return at all?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nebrilos posted:

But why do these things have ludicrous ROI? Especially crypto. There's no actual product! How can there be any return at all?

Crypto is a shell game, where you sell a nothing to other people for more than you paid for it.

It like finance but without even having to be connected to a remotely real thing. Everybody is just hoping they're no the final sucker in the line of suckers.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Nebrilos posted:

software is extremely scalable while using very little in fixed assets. once an app is published, installing it on one phone or one million phones costs the same amount, as opposed to physical inventory that has to be manufactured, shipped and stored. this allows a much higher ROI at a faster pace than other businesses. branding like nikefication allows companies to outsource/offshore physical manufacturing and design while isolating IP rents as a source of profit, which is profitable because youre just slapping your logo on something someone else made as a form of brand recognition without doing any labor beyond advertising. crypto is a congolmeration of scams.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Devor posted:

"Following another automated car, and braking when needed" is basically the easiest task you can give a self-driving vehicle

Now do it at highway speeds, at the same distance apart.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol those assholes that speed and weave through traffic are going to want real life chevos for doing the longest convoy.

(i do too, but only in videogames)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sage Grimm posted:

What if the lead vehicle decides to run a yellow light? With the following vehicle being 2 car lengths behind, will it just run the red light or stop and lose connection?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Freakazoid_ posted:

What if the lead vehicle decides to run a yellow light? With the following vehicle being 2 car lengths behind, will it just run the red light or stop and lose connection?

UNDEFINED BEHAVIOR

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I hardly even know 'er!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh man, wardriving is gonna be REALLY interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

raverrn posted:

Oh man, wardriving is gonna be REALLY interesting.

Okay, there's no way that's not a Mad Max term.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay, there's no way that's not a Mad Max term.

Worse, early hacker terminology

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With these cars it can be both!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber has been hacked. Allegedly the hacker found a script in their intranet that contained all of the admin usernames and passwords for all of the services they use.

https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/1570626240499032065

https://twitter.com/BillDemirkapi/status/1570605000828801024

Doggles fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 16, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Move fast and store passwords in /bin

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find it more secure to store my passwords in .

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wouldn't be surprised if with this level of access you could just … delete Uber forever.

"Cloud" companies tend to have no ability to bootstrap from cold backup, because they never think about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not to steal the buttcoin thread motto, but that sounds way toooo loving stupid, you must be explaining it wrong or it cant be that loving horrible/stupid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Antigravitas posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if with this level of access you could just … delete Uber forever.

"Cloud" companies tend to have no ability to bootstrap from cold backup, because they never think about it.

Lots of companies I wish they could just delete forever like this.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Move fast and store passwords in /bin
"A dangerous plan is better than no plan at all!!!!"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Ahahaha he found admin credentials to their cloud service embedded in a PowerShell script in plain text.

It's amazing how lazy scripters, developers, and admins have no idea how to secure their scripts.

I've seen similar stories at so many companies

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So someone wrote a script to do admin things and the script needs admin permission to run and so the way they gave it admin permission is that they programmed the admin name and password into the script itself? loving lmao

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

So someone wrote a script to do admin things and the script needs admin permission to run and so the way they gave it admin permission is that they programmed the admin name and password into the script itself? loving lmao

Don't worry, I'm sure there's a 6 year old Jira task to fix it. It'll get refined any day now!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ahahaha he found admin credentials to their cloud service embedded in a PowerShell script in plain text.

It's amazing how lazy scripters, developers, and admins have no idea how to secure their scripts.

I've seen similar stories at so many companies

Close - he found in powersheel the admin credentials for their password vault system. Which contained everything, including breakglass accounts.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

blunt posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure there's a 6 year old Jira task to fix it. It'll get refined any day now!

Tech debt!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Move fast and break everythings

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
drat, Pierre with the $417,000 in travel expenses this year.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1570924458164260865

It's scams all the way down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The VCs funding obvious scams are probably more to blame than the people running them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Evidence, again, that wealth is not being taxed nearly enough.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thanks Ants posted:

The VCs funding obvious scams are probably more to blame than the people running them

I don't know about that but the VCs are definitely not left holding the bag a lot of times, like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like how the pic is sooo copypaste colorbythenumbers templatey.

Also lol at a 20something old kid being a health guru.