Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well I'm not going to include them in this absurd playthrough but I might check 'em out later.

I actually owned one of the Mana games on GBA, can't remember which one. The girl turns into a magic tree at the end.

You know it's Squaresoft cuz there is a magic tree involved

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

8 Remaster is on sale for 10 bux so I just bought it, but if I do play it it's gonna be after everything else

and World of Final Fantasy is 60% off so gently caress it

I now own every FF game on Steam except the 3d remakes of 3 and 4 and the Final Fantasy Legends collection which I guess are game boy games

EDIT: FF Legends apparently isn't actually a Final Fantasy game, Square just rebranded it as "Final Fantasy Legends" for marketing purposes

I don't think the VIII remaster is really worth it. I've never heard it did anything impressive or interesting.

FF3D and 4D are maybe worth a buy if you have the extra money. I've never finished FFIVD but it seems to have some pretty stalwart fans, unlike 3D. I wanna see waht the fuss is all about myself. If nothing else, playing he first 30 minutes of IVD reminded me how much I adore FFIV's music.

Have you had any challenge in FFVII yet? Jenova give you any trouble?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the VIII remaster has improved graphics and i think it has the same QOL improvements with 3x speed/random battle disabling as the FF7 port

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think the VIII remaster is really worth it. I've never heard it did anything impressive or interesting.

FF3D and 4D are maybe worth a buy if you have the extra money. I've never finished FFIVD but it seems to have some pretty stalwart fans, unlike 3D. I wanna see waht the fuss is all about myself. If nothing else, playing he first 30 minutes of IVD reminded me how much I adore FFIV's music.

Have you had any challenge in FFVII yet? Jenova give you any trouble?

Jenova was actually not bad at all. I was worried when she hit people with Stop but the effect didn't last for too long. I've only died to underestimating large packs of normal enemies which has only happened twice, lol.

Maybe I'll check out the 3D remakes at the end of my marathon along with 8 Remaster.

EDIT: They're 8 bucks each so I'm gonna just buy them right now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

hey tales also has magic trees

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am hard pressed to think of JRPGs without magic trees that aren't set in modern day or space. (And even some of those have magic trees, looking at you Earthbound.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
nevermind

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 17, 2022

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

uhhh i think etrian odyssey has magic(??) trees and thats fantasy

whoops wait i misread the topic i thought it was rpgs with magic trees that Were fantasy

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
World of Final Fantasy was fun and not as brutal as that insane Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FrostyPox posted:

Well I'm not going to include them in this absurd playthrough but I might check 'em out later.

I actually owned one of the Mana games on GBA, can't remember which one. The girl turns into a magic tree at the end.

That would be Final Fantasy Adventure. I replayed that a couple years ago. At one point the game glitched and my hero spent a large chunk of the journey in a minecart.

I know they did a remake, Adventures of Mana, a while back. Was that any good?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Final Fantasy Legend 1&2 are unironically better than most mainline Final Fantasy games.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ayy, the Gold Saucer, I recognize this place, though Dio isn't quite Godbert.

Good thing they don't disarm prisoners down here. What the gently caress is Cait Sith riding on? A giant moogle? Is that a zipper on its back? What is going on

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"ket shee"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm actually really proud of the fact that I know that's how it's pronounced :smuggo:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

. Slots can have a variety of effects based on the result of a slot reel that either boost allies' power or damage enemies, in which the best combination kills all enemies instantly (even those with immunity to Instant Death spells), while the worst will kill all allies ending in a Game Over.

:laffo:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC both the insta win and instalose are incredibly unlikely but it's still funny

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, it'll even kill enemies immune to instant death, so can it just theoretically nuke Safer-Sephiroth???

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Wait, it'll even kill enemies immune to instant death, so can it just theoretically nuke Safer-Sephiroth???

anyone. when I was a kid I saw my cousin hit 777 and one-shot a superboss

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

anyone. when I was a kid I saw my cousin hit 777 and one-shot a superboss

That's amazing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrostyPox posted:

the TAS strat is to just oneshot every. single. fight. with the appropriate manip

(although the current fastest tas over on tasvideos is actually a no-slots run because it's more recent so it has way stronger movement tech and so on)

e: this is also true of Selphie's slots in 8, although hers has a sanity check so it doesn't work... on the undead. (it does work on Omega Weapon, and it works on any phase of Ultimecia but just moves to the next phase because they're all technically separate enemies)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

loving imagine being a god-like mega seraph powered by the entirety of the planet and getting loving annihilated by a talking cat

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

gigglefeimer posted:

Final Fantasy Legend 1&2 are unironically better than most mainline Final Fantasy games.

:hai:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

keis sheeirth

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah Selphie's instant kill is v cool but I've never actually gotten it before

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
post is wrong because Final Fantasy Legend 3 is at least at good as FFL1 imo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwarzwald posted:

In FF7, the heroes use materia sustainably as opposed the villains who suck irresponsibly slurp mako energy right out of the planet.

quote:

Cloud
Once Materia starts dividing, you must be careful.
There's a limit to how much Materia you can have.
Since we're fighting for the life of the Planet, it goes against my beliefs carrying too much Materia.
Either way, I don't really care, but... I'll leave it up to you.
That's why, the amount of Materia that we can have is limited to 200... only what we can equip.
When you have too much Materia, you need to dispose of some. If you don't, you can't take on any more.
So, ditch some Materia before that happens... Ahem... I mean, give them back to the Planet.

MagusofStars posted:

In terms of the canon events, the party basically shows up, fights two battles, and leaves. By comparison, the party goes through like half a dozen dungeons and mainline events while Rydia is stuck there - Cecil's journey up the mountain, freeing Baron, Cave Magnes, Zot, etc. So it's not that it 'stopped', it's that she was there way the hell longer than the party was.

I'm pretty sure that poster was talking about TAY. Rydia goes back to live in the Land of Summons after the end of IV but she's not a white haired wrinkled elderly woman when she rejoins the party in TAY, she's aged the exact same number of years as the rest of them. So apparently you can just choose to not age in the Land of Summons or something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
She just used the Room of Spirit and Time to train.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Time moves slower in the Feymarch. That's why Rydia ages ten or so years in the span of a week or two in the regular game, and why at one point in TAY she goes to the Feymarch with Palom and Porom, enters alone, and leaves like twenty seconds after she enters. I'm pretty sure she actually spent ten years in the Feymarch while missing, which is how she became more adept in Black Magic and mastered some summons.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FrostyPox posted:

loving imagine being a god-like mega seraph powered by the entirety of the planet and getting loving annihilated by a talking cat

The last time I played 7 my killing blow against Sephiroth was a normal attack from Yuffie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, she is the White Rose of Wutai

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Aww yeah just got Titan and a Deathblow Materia. I wish I didn't know all about Zack and frankly a lot of stuff about the game so I could go in much more blindly, but well it's really old at this point and VII especially seemed to be a cultural phenomenon so if you played video games at all, even if you didn't own a PSX you probably still know a lot about FFVII

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Aww yeah just got Titan and a Deathblow Materia. I wish I didn't know all about Zack and frankly a lot of stuff about the game so I could go in much more blindly, but well it's really old at this point and VII especially seemed to be a cultural phenomenon so if you played video games at all, even if you didn't own a PSX you probably still know a lot about FFVII

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side effect that if you are even vaguely in the range of FF7 you're going to know about it since the dude has a remake of his game coming out later this year. That said there's a lot of unique stuff in FF7 that isn't as popularized as the bigger spoilers so you'll probably still have fun to discover.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side effect that if you are even vaguely in the range of FF7 you're going to know about it since the dude has a remake of his game coming out later this year. That said there's a lot of unique stuff in FF7 that isn't as popularized as the bigger spoilers so you'll probably still have fun to discover.

For sure, and there are plenty of story details I didn't/don't really know (the Turks, I didn't really know about the parade scene, I was aware that Jenova and Hojo existed but wasn't fully aware of their role in the story, etc). I also didn't realize you got almost every character very early, other than Yuffie (who you theoretically can get very early anyway) and Vincent I think the only one I don't have is Cid. FFVIII was pretty similar in terms of getting every character relatively early.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

For sure, and there are plenty of story details I didn't/don't really know (the Turks, I didn't really know about the parade scene, I was aware that Jenova and Hojo existed but wasn't fully aware of their role in the story, etc). I also didn't realize you got almost every character very early, other than Yuffie and Vincent I think the only one I don't have is Cid. FFVIII was pretty similar in terms of getting every character relatively early.

Well you're in for a lot of fun with Jenova and Hojo then.

I'll be interested in picking your brain on Jenova when you finish the game if you do not mind. Get a fresh perspective.

It's like Veeg going through FFX for the first time - it's fascinating to watch someone else figure things out and see what was obvious/not so obvious to someone else.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll be interested in picking your brain on Jenova when you finish the game if you do not mind. Get a fresh perspective.

I'll be happy to, I've enjoyed discussing and reading the discussion regarding details of the various games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I'll be happy to, I've enjoyed discussing and reading the discussion regarding details of the various games

It's been interesting seeing you post as well so keep it up!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of, the Crisis Core remaster footage made me sad because Encounter seems to have lost all its energy

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's been interesting seeing you post as well so keep it up!

Yeah same, I don’t comment on it much but that’s just cause I don’t have much to say besides “cool post”

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1571365794898137088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

That parade sequence was kind of annoying. Tried to encounter Yuffie in the forest but she didn't show up and I got bored and low on potions

The best part about the parade is that the TV station "gifts" you a grenade for loving up their ratings. :allears:

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: I'm also not sure where Sephiropth was hiding Jenova, and considering everyone on the ship got loving massacred the rest of the soldiers and sailors on the boat seemed pretty unfazed

If you got Yuffie before this part, she does the most reasonable thing anyone in the party has ever done and begs you not to put her in the party that's about to confront the super-soldier that's been murdering everyone below deck. :v: