Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are essentially three parts to a modern TV - the power supply, the main board and the panel. If they do repair it, it would involve replacing one of those in its entirety. However, I sincerely doubt they repair it - they are much more likely to replace it and send the defective one back for refurbishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
When I got my Sony x930e I got a lemon, within the year warranty period it wouldn't turn on so they originally sent me a new power supply. It worked for a while but then it wouldn't turn on again and I had two functional power supplies, so they sent a tech to replace the main board. They replaced the board but this meant the set was no longer factory calibrated so I have to use slightly weirder settings than most other folks (my expert settings are very yellow by default and warm and cool settings look the same). But I still use it as my main tv 4 years later.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

elbkaida posted:

I've read in a youtube review comment that the 48 inch version of the LG C1 (and maybe C2 too?) is using some older version components, does anyone know if that is true? Googling hasn't really yielded any discussion on this for me.

I think most TVs have a few slight variations on the exact panel and so on but I'm not sure about the C1. FWIW I have the 48" C1 and it's super and I haven't heard of any issues with components.

jaadee
May 3, 2013

jaadee posted:

I helped my brother hop into OLED land a few weeks ago when the LG G1 55" was on clearance at best buy for $1000. He texted me today that the display won't power on. He's already got an appt set up with best buy and expects something to need replacing.

My question is, what is everyone's experience dealing with getting a lemon? Both at the LG level and the best buy level? Because I plan to treat this tv like a lemon if it is fine after getting a component replaced and even one more thing goes wrong before the warranty is up.

BB tech took one look and they're just replacing the whole dang thing, so +3 points to KillHour. Needed a replace and not a refund because I didn't want to leave the brother without a tv while waiting on another big sale on a 55" C-series or better equivalent (can't return him to the land of the plebs now that he's tasted OLED).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's Treasure Truck is a 65" B1 for $1399: amazon.com/ttgo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Today's Treasure Truck is a 65" B1 for $1399: amazon.com/ttgo

"Treasure truck"?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's a daily Amazon deal. Pre-pandemic, the truck would be at various stops in the city, so you could walk up and pick it up from them after you bought it online. Now it's just a daily deal that they'll ship to you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's a daily Amazon deal. Pre-pandemic, the truck would be at various stops in the city, so you could walk up and pick it up from them after you bought it online. Now it's just a daily deal that they'll ship to you.

... The city? What city? Every city? One city?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wherever it's offered. For me it's Chicago.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Within the last 3-4 days, all of a sudden I am getting ad notification pop-ups every time I turn on my LG C1. Multiple pop-up notifications, all in a row, advertising deals for Disney+, Hulu, or whatever stupid rear end garbage they're trying to shill next. As far as I'm aware, I've already disabled every ad-related notification setting I possibly can. Is there any way to prevent these? The future loving sucks, this stuff is legitimately going to turn me into the joker

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
Does anyone have opinions on the LG C1 vs B2? They’re about the same price but i wasn’t sure if the newer, lower grade(?) one was comparable

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Broadlybrowsing posted:

Does anyone have opinions on the LG C1 vs B2? They’re about the same price but i wasn’t sure if the newer, lower grade(?) one was comparable

This might interest you: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-lg-b2-oled/21421/31240

Pretty similar overall. Going B2 for the SDR brightness advantage seems good unless you watch a lot of HDR content.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My 55 inch LG tv just poo poo the bed (it turns on but the screen flickers on about 1/3 of the screen then goes black) so I need a new one.

I've accepted the fact that I have to get a smart tv, even though I hook my tv up to a desktop and stream everything from the computer.

I've got some questions, since there are tons of models out there now, compared to 10 years ago when I bought the dead tv.

1. If I don't let the tv connect to the internet (since I'll have everything running off of a computer), I don't need to bother with all the phoning home poo poo in Samsungs, LGs and other brands, right?

2. I read the OP but I'm a bit confused what the actual model numbers of the 9 series for Sonys and the Hisense ones are, since a lot of the models have a bunch of letters after them. What are some decent tvs to get? I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 CAD for a 55" screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably not but be careful if you grab a bargain bin Hose se/TCL/Google TV since some of them require at least one trip to the net to set up

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vasler posted:

1. If I don't let the tv connect to the internet (since I'll have everything running off of a computer), I don't need to bother with all the phoning home poo poo in Samsungs, LGs and other brands, right?

Airgapping your Smart TV is a very good idea and imparts many benefits, including, yes, putting a dead stop to any and all analytics and data gathering, but also cutting off all ads. It's usually a good idea to plug in an ethernet cable once a year or so and do a firmware update.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vasler posted:

2. I read the OP but I'm a bit confused what the actual model numbers of the 9 series for Sonys and the Hisense ones are, since a lot of the models have a bunch of letters after them. What are some decent tvs to get? I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to spend up to $1,000 CAD for a 55" screen.

1.) Yeah, in general The physical inputs and screen calibration features should still work. Google/Android TV even has a specific "dumb tv mode" that turns all the poo poo off.

2.) The OP needs updating for model specific info, that's on me. And some of the Canadian models with Hisense use extended model numbers. The first thing is to make sure the unit says qled/uled, as Hisense has budget models with their own number series too, using marketing bs like uhd/4k/hdr10. If a unit doesn't explicitly say qled/uled, ignore it. Visions.ca has more or less exclusive distribution for the *good* Hisense models, with Walmart having the cheaper stuff. For a 55", you're looking at the U7H:
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/69534/hisense_55_u7_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_google_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U78H

U7G (last year):
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/64219/hisense_55_u78g_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_technology_android_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U78G

And the U8G (last year) for $1100 ($500 off):
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/64537/hisense_55_u88g_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_technology_android_smart_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U88G

Rtings still has that last one as their recommendation for the best mid-range qled tv, and the Sony models struggle with overall brightness in comparison.

There's also the TCL brand, which i think Best buy and Amazon.ca sell. The 646 (their top model) is roughly equivalent to the U8G:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tcl-6-series-55-4k-uhd-hdr-qled-mini-led-smart-google-tv-55r646-ca-2021/15604563

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 11, 2022

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) Yeah, in general The physical inputs and screen calibration features should still work. Google/Android TV even has a specific "dumb tv mode" that turns all the poo poo off.

2.) The OP needs updating for model specific info, that's on me. And some of the Canadian models with Hisense use extended model numbers. The first thing is to make sure the unit says qled/uled, as Hisense has budget models with their own number series too, using marketing bs like uhd/4k/hdr10. If a unit doesn't explicitly say qled/uled, ignore it. Visions.ca has more or less exclusive distribution for the *good* Hisense models, with Walmart having the cheaper stuff. For a 55", you're looking at the U7H:
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/69534/hisense_55_u7_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_google_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U78H

U7G (last year):
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/64219/hisense_55_u78g_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_technology_android_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U78G

And the U8G (last year) for $1100 ($500 off):
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/64537/hisense_55_u88g_series_4k_uled_quantum_dot_technology_android_smart_tv?categoryId=525&sku=55U88G

Rtings still has that last one as their recommendation for the best mid-range qled tv, and the Sony models struggle with overall brightness in comparison.

There's also the TCL brand, which i think Best buy and Amazon.ca sell. The 646 (their top model) is roughly equivalent to the U8G:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tcl-6-series-55-4k-uhd-hdr-qled-mini-led-smart-google-tv-55r646-ca-2021/15604563

Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it. I had completely forgotten that Visions even existed. I can't find any U7Gs or U8Gs where I am, so I'm going to go check out the U7H and U8Hs. Both look really great.

How significant is the upgrade from the 7 --> 8? Worth the price in your (or anyone else's) experience?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I like a tv that can get at least 1000 nits or more for hdr content. The U8G is much better at it, but other than that i don't think the differences are *that* wide.

For gaming/sports/sdr the 7 series is about as good.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for your help everyone! Ended up getting a hisense 55U88H, since the salesman at Visions knocked an extra $150 off the sale price. The tv looks amazing but I really need to get the colour balance and brightness/contrast set correctly.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Airgapping your Smart TV is a very good idea and imparts many benefits, including, yes, putting a dead stop to any and all analytics and data gathering, but also cutting off all ads. It's usually a good idea to plug in an ethernet cable once a year or so and do a firmware update.

LG at least for now offers FW via a file you can do over USB so you never have to even do that.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

for my C1, I have a sonos arc plugged into the HDMI-ARC port to do audio, been working great. I'd like to reclaim that HDMI for use by another device. how much audio quality, or ease of use do you lose by swapping to optical out? I really only change the volume with the apple tv remote now, would I lose that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

for my C1, I have a sonos arc plugged into the HDMI-ARC port to do audio, been working great. I'd like to reclaim that HDMI for use by another device. how much audio quality, or ease of use do you lose by swapping to optical out? I really only change the volume with the apple tv remote now, would I lose that?

Optical is pretty garbage. It only supports uncompressed audio if you do stereo - 5.1 is compressed. It also doesn't send any control data, so yes, you will lose your ability to control the volume of your sonos from the source, as well as auto on/off and input switching.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ARC is also stereo, eARC is 8 channel

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

ARC is also stereo, eARC is 8 channel

Both the LG C1 and Sonos ARC support eARC.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I just checked Costco’s website out of curiosity to see if they’re sold out of the C1 yet, and they still have it but now it’s more expensive.

65” for example was $1600 back in August but is $2200 now.

Meanwhile the 65” C2 is $1900.

Very confusing but props to this thread for the heads up a month ago, saved me several hundred bucks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bawfuls posted:

I just checked Costco’s website out of curiosity to see if they’re sold out of the C1 yet, and they still have it but now it’s more expensive.

65” for example was $1600 back in August but is $2200 now.

Meanwhile the 65” C2 is $1900.

Very confusing but props to this thread for the heads up a month ago, saved me several hundred bucks.

How close are you to the Canadian border? The 65" C1 is going for cad $2100 +tax right now, which is $1815 usd, all in.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m like 30 miles from Mexico so not very close at all. But I pulled the trigger on a 65” C1 back in August because of the recommendations in this thread so I’m happy with how that worked out.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I wanted to pair a newly purchased PS4 with the best looking 55" I could get what are my options. A cursory search gives me a Sony A80J OLED.

I've seen a few LGs show up as well. It'll be in a dark room so not worried about natural light.

Likely won't do much else on the TV but could end up watching Football on it as well.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

m.hache posted:

If I wanted to pair a newly purchased PS4 with the best looking 55" I could get what are my options. A cursory search gives me a Sony A80J OLED.

I've seen a few LGs show up as well. It'll be in a dark room so not worried about natural light.

Likely won't do much else on the TV but could end up watching Football on it as well.

What's your budget? The PS4 isn't too fancy so you could choose whichever one of these is in your price range and be fine.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sony uses LG panels. Their upscaler is supposed to be a little better at the expense of maybe being calibrated a bit darker but I would get whichever one has other features you care about and failing that, whichever is cheaper.

For what it's worth, I have the 75" Sony and it's glorious.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Animale posted:

What's your budget? The PS4 isn't too fancy so you could choose whichever one of these is in your price range and be fine.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

drat phone. That should say PS5.

I'd probably go as high as $1700 CAD for a 55".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

m.hache posted:

I'd probably go as high as $1700 CAD for a 55".

LG C1 is $1598:
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/63520/lg_55_2021_c1_4k_hdr_oled_smart_tv?categoryId=0&sku=OLED55C1AUB

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

m.hache posted:

I got the samsung S95B QD-OLED and its absolutely amazing with PS5.

LG OLEDs would be a safe choice too

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

poo poo I'm down the road from there tomorrow. Thanks!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

m.hache posted:

poo poo I'm down the road from there tomorrow. Thanks!

They have the Sony A80J for $1,498 too. You miss out on two additional hdmi 2.1 ports, but you get better processing and Android instead of the awful LG OS. Both are really great TVs, though, and you will be happy with either.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
My 65” LG C1 just started showing a thin, vertical, black line. Tried fully unplugging. Didn’t do a restore or pixel scrub yet. I got it last November. Anyone seen or experience this? If a restore doesn’t fix it, would it suit me to take it up with Best Buy or LG directly?

Kind of a lovely pic, but you get the idea!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Warranty job. Contact BB

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I've been out of the TV game for ages, was looking to buy an OLED a couple years ago but decided to wait because it looked like it was still maturing, hopefully it has now!

For the display itself I'm looking for OLED (or whatever variant is good these days), decent brightness, 4k 120hz, and 65in or more. Good HDR would be a bonus but I'm not particularly bothered if it's bad or missing. It'll be for general media watching as well as couch gaming via a PC.

My main question is how people hook their TV's up to remote PC's these days, as the PC will be in another room. Currently I use a very old Steam Link, which takes ethernet and outputs HDMI - I'm not sure if this will be up to snuff with newer hardware. What are the other options? As another poster mentioned I have no interest in hooking my TV up to the internet or using any other smart TV garbage, I want it to purely be a display for video inputs. Related to this, how do these TV's downres? I'll probably be hooking up a decent amount of 1080p or 1440p gaming stuff, and I'd like it to look at least decent.

There's a lot of information in this thread and elsewhere so I'm just hoping for a few recommendations to give some clarity to my search. Thanks!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You really want to be directly connected to a HDMI 2.1 compatible videocard if you want to get 4k120 going, otherwise you'll likely be limited to 4k60 or 1080p120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Modern tv units can upscale quite well and also maintain an excellent input lag rate.
According to the Steam page the Steam Link *should* be HDMI 2.0 compliant, as it states:

quote:

You can tune streaming resolution and bitrate for the best experience on your setup with Advanced Settings. Over a 5 GHz network, our target is a resolution of 1080p at 60 frames per second, with good quality for most scenes. If you have a powerful gaming rig, a wired network, and a capable client device, it's possible to stream 4K at 60 FPS.

Though, I can't find any documentation that explicitly says what spec the hdmi port is.

I'd say get the C1 for "cheap", but if you got the cash, consider the new Q-oleds from Samsung/Sony.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 20, 2022