Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I've been working on some tracks in Reaper and thinking about (finally) upgrading my guitar/bass VST from Amplitube 3 to the newer Amplitube 5. Question is, If I upgrade do I have to keep the old version to preserve the same sounds/settings? Or if I switch existing tracks to Amplitube 5 will the settings and amp sounds going to be the same? I don't know how this poo poo works and don't want to have to re-do everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

You could install the demo of Amplitube 5 and try loading your presets from 3.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

for fucks sake posted:

You could install the demo of Amplitube 5 and try loading your presets from 3.

Thank you! Hadn't thought of that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is bugging the loving poo poo out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5wT-ps9DI

I swear to God I have heard the melody and chord structure before in another (older?) song. I played it for a friend and they had the same immediate reaction. Music nerds, can you help?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
More than words

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Not getting a lot of that, but some things in the progression definitely make me expect 'but I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo' as the coming lines.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

This is bugging the loving poo poo out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5wT-ps9DI

I swear to God I have heard the melody and chord structure before in another (older?) song. I played it for a friend and they had the same immediate reaction. Music nerds, can you help?

try the ”help me identify a song” megathread

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've got a bee in my bonnet to get myself a delay pedal.

Boss DD-3T or DD-8?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The DD8s feature set is insane and theres really no reason to get the DD3T unless you really really like the sound of that specific chip.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I should probably go to a music shop and try them out.

I heard comparisons between the DD-7 and the DD-3T, and the DD-3T honestly sounded way better to me (and I couldn't find any comparisons with the DD-8). But that was also clean tone and through a much nicer amp than I have - chances are it's not going to make much difference through a distortion pedal and crappy practise amp, right?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Can anyone recommend a beginners guide to guitar? I've just given my niece a guitar and amp for her birthday. She already has some grounding in music theory I assume, as she plays both the saxophone and the viola. I'm a completely self-taught savage, so I don't even know where to begin in looking for something that would be quality. Any suggestions?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

El Miguel posted:

Can anyone recommend a beginners guide to guitar? I've just given my niece a guitar and amp for her birthday. She already has some grounding in music theory I assume, as she plays both the saxophone and the viola. I'm a completely self-taught savage, so I don't even know where to begin in looking for something that would be quality. Any suggestions?

The giant stickied guitar thread seems like it'd be good. There's a "How do I learn to play" section from a quick skim.

Also you missed a great opportunity to get her a mandola.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

The giant stickied guitar thread seems like it'd be good. There's a "How do I learn to play" section from a quick skim.

Also you missed a great opportunity to get her a mandola.

Didn't even think to look there. Much obliged!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a question about a certain type of backing/gang vocal that tends to stick in my mind whenever I hear it. Over in another thread, someone mentioned Ghost Town by The Specials. It should be timestamped but if it's not, the relevant part starts at 1:05.

There's a similar timbre of background vocal in Mr. Bungle's Pink Cigarette, though here it's decidedly less discordant it still has that 'twang' to it of a guy almost humourously trying to sing one of the parts too high.

It's one of those sounds that evokes a feeling I can't put my finger on, a memory of songs I can't actually remember. The Specials' particularly dissonant use of it definitely calls to mind indigenous music - its 'wailing' quality sounds almost exactly like the chants I've heard at pow-wows here in Ontario. Mr. Bungle's use of it seems to evoke a strong southwestern 'lounge' feeling, like the rest of the instrumentation. But for some reason I'm also getting really strange 'Egyptian' vibes from that song, like there's some connection between the kind of earlier American lounge music it's imitating, and a fascination with ancient Egypt. I get a similar vibe from Ghost Town but not nearly as much.

Am I way off of something here or is there some connection? I swear I've heard those twangy vocals before in older lounge tunes lost to memory. Is it just the oboe/clarinet playing a Phrygian(?) melody in the verses that sets the stage for that particular feeling, similar with the flute in Ghost Town? Or is there actually a cultural connection there? Or maybe I'm conflating the decidedly western borrowing of native american music, to the connection of that particular lounge sound, to Las Vegas, which has a lot of Egypt imagery? IDK. It's just a feeling that I get but it itches my mind.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I have a question about a certain type of backing/gang vocal that tends to stick in my mind whenever I hear it. Over in another thread, someone mentioned Ghost Town by The Specials. It should be timestamped but if it's not, the relevant part starts at 1:05.

There's a similar timbre of background vocal in Mr. Bungle's Pink Cigarette, though here it's decidedly less discordant it still has that 'twang' to it of a guy almost humourously trying to sing one of the parts too high.

i think the sound you're describing is a vocal ensemble doing falsetto, with rapid vibrato in Ghost Town and without in Pink Cigarette.

there might be a more precise term for this -- maybe something an ethnomusicologist would know.

Mister Speaker posted:

It's one of those sounds that evokes a feeling I can't put my finger on, a memory of songs I can't actually remember. The Specials' particularly dissonant use of it definitely calls to mind indigenous music - its 'wailing' quality sounds almost exactly like the chants I've heard at pow-wows here in Ontario. Mr. Bungle's use of it seems to evoke a strong southwestern 'lounge' feeling, like the rest of the instrumentation. But for some reason I'm also getting really strange 'Egyptian' vibes from that song, like there's some connection between the kind of earlier American lounge music it's imitating, and a fascination with ancient Egypt. I get a similar vibe from Ghost Town but not nearly as much.

Am I way off of something here or is there some connection? I swear I've heard those twangy vocals before in older lounge tunes lost to memory. Is it just the oboe/clarinet playing a Phrygian(?) melody in the verses that sets the stage for that particular feeling, similar with the flute in Ghost Town? Or is there actually a cultural connection there? Or maybe I'm conflating the decidedly western borrowing of native american music, to the connection of that particular lounge sound, to Las Vegas, which has a lot of Egypt imagery? IDK. It's just a feeling that I get but it itches my mind.

not very familiar with the lounge music you're talking about, i would need an example to say more.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Sorta. Both are aping 50s/60s pop in different ways. The backing in the Mr. Bungle track is evoking (broadly) Motown/phil spector arrangements w/ backing singers in a studio session, and country-western type guitar and percussion parts - but I'm not hearing anything particularly Egyptian.

The Specials one is 100% a riff on those novelty records where they'd have people doing that to evoke the stuff you're describing, but it's a couple levels of reference removed from the source material. C.f. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjrTcYMqBM&t=73s or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rQyRxLBrY as the things being parodied, generally

I'm not really hearing the tonality stuff between them though, other than that maybe they're employing similar tricks to hint at 'exoticism' (from a 50s perspective). But the direct reference is session musicians in America doing those things - the lounge connection imo is the stronger thread

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Has anyone ever tried practicing while listening to non-music audio? I’ve been watching a lot of a trial recently and so, gently caress it, why not practice a little bit cause I need metronome time, right?

Even when I turn off the metronome though and I’m keeping rhythm on my own, I still wind up keeping a better, steadier beat going. Like I noticed it with Bela Fleck’s Big Country which is usually the bane of my existence because it has big chunks of just rests where it’s just tapping along/ghost strokes. And the same thing happens if it’s a podcast or the news or something where I’m splitting attention 60/40 between both.

I bothered checking with other people if I really do this, so it’s not just my perception of time goes to poo poo. It seems like a real phenomenon.

What the hell? Anyone ever hear of this?

Not really a music question per se, but it’s weird and I’m curious.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has anyone ever tried practicing while listening to non-music audio? I’ve been watching a lot of a trial recently and so, gently caress it, why not practice a little bit cause I need metronome time, right?

Even when I turn off the metronome though and I’m keeping rhythm on my own, I still wind up keeping a better, steadier beat going. Like I noticed it with Bela Fleck’s Big Country which is usually the bane of my existence because it has big chunks of just rests where it’s just tapping along/ghost strokes. And the same thing happens if it’s a podcast or the news or something where I’m splitting attention 60/40 between both.

I bothered checking with other people if I really do this, so it’s not just my perception of time goes to poo poo. It seems like a real phenomenon.

What the hell? Anyone ever hear of this?

Not really a music question per se, but it’s weird and I’m curious.

a lotta drummers do this with rudiments on a practice pad. for some reason anime is a common thing to watch while doing it, not sure why

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

a lotta drummers do this with rudiments on a practice pad. for some reason anime is a common thing to watch while doing it, not sure why

Do they say why or do they have any idea? My guess is something like “conscious brain can get squirrelly and overthink things, so if it’s busy with something else things work better” and it’s kind of like giving your brain the cognitive equivalent of a Denny’s placemat, but that’s just a guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
because anime rules and also it's a language with different vocal rhythms so it might be fun to be thrown off

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do they say why or do they have any idea? My guess is something like “conscious brain can get squirrelly and overthink things, so if it’s busy with something else things work better” and it’s kind of like giving your brain the cognitive equivalent of a Denny’s placemat, but that’s just a guess.

I practice a lot with TV shows I've seen 1000x playing in the background, and eventually it got to the point where I couldn't watch TV without playing guitar.

I have bad ADHD, but my friends who don't also have similar practices, especially the drummers as noted above.

My personal theory is that the modern brain is so used to short rapid dopamine hits (because of a million reasons), that simply sitting and focusing on the TV isn't giving it enough stimulation. But I am not a scientist, that's just kinda my guess.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

When I was learning scales on guitar I'd just sit and watch TV and run modal scales (and scale variations) over and over and over and over and over. My thinking was that it would drill it into my muscle memory.

It kind of worked. I'm not completely horrible at scales now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to learn to use FL Studio, but I'm finding it a bit hard to get traction, so to speak. Can anyone recommend a guided course, or set of tutorials, or something that I can follow along to help me get started? I can play music, and I have a lot of experience with Audacity, a sound editor, so I have some basic understanding of stuff like reverb and signal processing. But the UI and workflow is pretty impenetrable right now.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'd start with the videos here https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-news/tag/getting-started and then https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-news/tag/mixing/
the official help chm (it's good!) also has a step-by-step intro but that's a bit outdated as the new instrument track workflow completely deprecates the channel rack IMO, the new official videos cover both ways to work

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thank you, I'll give that a shot!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Is there any sort of tool for breaking a song up into separate tracks? I'm starting to work on composing some stuff beyond little 4 bar patterns of bleep bloops, and I'm trying to analyze some tracks I like to figure out things like what kinds of synth lines I'll need, how long sections are generally, how instruments come in and out of the mix and so on. I know Trent Reznor has released multitracks of some NIN stuff and that's a huge help, but if there's a way to even at least rip the instrumentation from a track I like that would go a long way towards figuring out how the sausage is made for me I think.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Is there any sort of tool for breaking a song up into separate tracks? I'm starting to work on composing some stuff beyond little 4 bar patterns of bleep bloops, and I'm trying to analyze some tracks I like to figure out things like what kinds of synth lines I'll need, how long sections are generally, how instruments come in and out of the mix and so on. I know Trent Reznor has released multitracks of some NIN stuff and that's a huge help, but if there's a way to even at least rip the instrumentation from a track I like that would go a long way towards figuring out how the sausage is made for me I think.

Theres a couple of AI toolsets that can do this from a mixed wav (-> separate wavs) but otherwise no. Getting a project file or stems (e.g. for a remix competition) is the typical avenue. Ableton sponsored a whole series of these in the Live 9 days if you're on that.

Annotating it yourself by ear is a great exercise though and was the typical thing before sharing DAW projects got more common

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Say I’ve got a ~1m30s loop with relatively comprehensive harmonic content. A few synth patch lines and a BD+SD. The loop would be 5~6 tracks worth in Ableton something. It sounds good, but I am not sure it stands on its own.

Is a loop like this worth dropping straight into a project and layering things on top, or is it better to treat it like a demo and recreate parts of it from scratch as desired? My gut feeling says the latter is better in the long run because you have more control over DAW sequenced instruments than a a single sample, but maybe I just don’t know how to work with loops.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Probably a dumb question, but is there any risk to my synthesizers if I just leave the power switches on and switch everything on and off with the surge protector switch? My gut tells me it should be fine but figured it was better to ask than regret heh.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

nah, very common and a lot of things are designed w/ that in mind.

korg sq-64 is weird in that it only saves on poweroff, and only when you press the button, not unplug/cut power, but like this is uncommon enough that I gotta reach for an example like that

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a lapel mic with the small, headphone-sized 3.5mm plug. I want to plug it into my saffire solo, via either the XLR or the larger guitar-cable sized port. What adapter do I need?

The dude at jaycar sold me one that looks like a headphone adapter but it just doesn't work.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Assuming it's an electret mic (meant to be plugged into a phone or a PC headset or whatever) you need an active adapter that will convert phantom power to 5v plugin power, like a Rode VXLR+. I think Antlion makes one too.

There are also a few compact mixers/interfaces that have an electret mic jack, like the Yamaha AG series.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The product page says it's an actual stereo mic with two capsules, which is another reason it won't work with just a size adapter. Trs for stereo isn't compatible with trs for balanced connections. Don't know how the rode adapter deals with that.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I missed that it was stereo, the Rode/Antlion won't work. They're active converters, not just size adapters, but they're mono. You could maybe try 2 adapters and a TRS->2x TS splitter but uh test it on some cheaper gear first.

I ran into this issue when I was trying to use either a PC lav mic or gaming headset for my online piano lessons. These electret lav mics are generally plugged into cameras, wireless systems, or field recorders and there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for solutions like the OP is looking for.

There is this discussion where someone is trying to do the same thing but there is no solution provided.

Assuming you can return the mic, is there any reason you couldn't use a mono mic? That would give you more options.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ll try returning it. I have the package and Jaycar don’t generally give a gently caress.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a term for when a song has one instrument performing an ostinato at the start, and another one joins, and another one, until everything ties together (bonus points if it ends with the same instrument it started with)? I want to say it's a structure thing but my music vocab is limited.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'd call it "bolero style" for lack of a better word (the wiki article for Ravel's Bolero doesn't give the structure a name unfortunately) but I feel like it happens a lot in electronic music so maybe there's a word in that genre?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

Is there a term for when a song has one instrument performing an ostinato at the start, and another one joins, and another one, until everything ties together (bonus points if it ends with the same instrument it started with)? I want to say it's a structure thing but my music vocab is limited.

That's how a solid half of all bluegrass, irish, Old Time, French-Canadian (etc) instrumentals wind up getting played and I still don't know if there's a word for that.

I guess you could say "riffing" or that's kind of what jamming is, but I think you mean an actual proper planned arrangement.

Huh. Well gently caress that's gonna bother me now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It sounds similar to how a round works https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_(music)

But I'm guessing the question is more about the synchronous playing of different parts as opposed to the asynchronous playing of the same or similar parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lily Catts posted:

Minimalism!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_music