Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

A bunch of leaders making a point of keep Putin waiting seems petty but in diplomatic circles that poo poo can carry a lot of weight and sends a pretty strong message.
Diplomatic support personnel, when head of state telephone conversations are planned, will coordinate with each other so that both leaders pick up the phone at the same time. So one isn't waiting for the other. It's petty, but part of diplomatic trappings. "Is your principal ready? So is mine. Ok. Hand him the phone in 3? Ok. One, two, three."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The "Chechens as blocking force" thing is for sure over emphasized. Regular Russian soldiers are plenty dogmatic.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Chalks posted:

It's a possibility - but it would have to be a separate incident from the one referenced in this tweet from 6 days ago.

Russian media is reporting a "counter-terrorism operation" in Kherson so that sounds like it's partisans - assuming they're talking about the fighting we're seeing.

Chechens can be called terrorists too.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Calling Russian soldiers shooting at Chechen units while trying to surrender a "counter-terrorist operation" would make about as much sense as calling the Kharkiv rout a planned strategic move, so maybe!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

In fact this wouldn't be the first time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

In fact this wouldn't be the first time

I was just going to say, that video + phrase “counterterrorism operation” was a very specific mood in the noughts.

edit:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1571216169431867402

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 17, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

The X-man cometh posted:

Not to nitpick, but I think it's worth mentioning that "Chechens" are fighting for Ukraine as well.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was just going to say, that video + phrase “counterterrorism operation” was a very specific mood in the noughts.

edit:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1571216169431867402

I hope there is some way this can be sent to Ian McCollum at Forgotten Weapons.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That would be a great idea. After it's used to discretely pick off some key Russian officers.

Even has the subsonic rounds for maximum discretion, this thing has probably seen more use in Russia than Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Speaking of Chechnya, and I don't want to speculate any further about this because there is nothing solid to say, Ramzan Kadyrov's power depends entirely on Vladimir Putin. If Putin falls (out of a window) then so does Kadyrov clan. And with Kadyrov goes Russia's control over Chechnya.

But you can put Third Chechnyan in the same pile with all the rest of conflicts that are flaring up in southern parts of ex-USSR. There's not much that can be done about it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There are Ukrainian gun youtubers who get to look at some trophys, hopefully they get a chance to examine that one. Here are them going through the famous Vintorez and being extremely not impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ86AnjJT-0

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

He hates bullpups

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He hates bullpups

That's fine, wrong or not I think I'd enjoy hearing him go on about how this gun is a sin against nature or whatever. As well as all the history and speculation as to how it was made and ended up in Ukraine.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He hates bullpups

He hates bad bullpups. His most favourite gun is the Famas, but he also loves the VHS-2 and he owns both (well the VHS-2 is semi automatic and is called Springfield Hellion which just sounds awful imo).

Back on topic:

Have there been any additional foreigners arriving for the international legion or has the interest more or less cooled down?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He hates bullpups

Yeah but he loves guns in general especially extremely rare guns.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah but he loves guns in general especially extremely rare guns.
How about extremely long guns? Behold, the Ukrainian Snipex Gator.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of Chechnya, and I don't want to speculate any further about this because there is nothing solid to say, Ramzan Kadyrov's power depends entirely on Vladimir Putin. If Putin falls (out of a window) then so does Kadyrov clan. And with Kadyrov goes Russia's control over Chechnya.

But you can put Third Chechnyan in the same pile with all the rest of conflicts that are flaring up in southern parts of ex-USSR. There's not much that can be done about it.

Wouldn't the person throwing Kadyrov out the window have their own pet Chechen to run things?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do we have any reliable data on how many Soviet small arms the Ukrainians are using versus 5.56 stuff like AR pattern rifles or FN rifles?

I recall a lot of foreign volunteers had a choice between AK pattern or NATO chambered rifles when they signed on but wondering if the ratio is gradually moving towards more recent model nato based and US based small arms.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

Have there been any additional foreigners arriving for the international legion or has the interest more or less cooled down?

It's not something we have particularly good visibility into. I would expect the flow now to be considerably slower than it was in the spring, perhaps slow enough to argue about whether if “flow” describes it well.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

the popes toes posted:

How about extremely long guns? Behold, the Ukrainian Snipex Gator.

The length of that magazine. :stare: What does it fire, hotdogs?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Payndz posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14.5%C3%97114mm

These, apparently. Chunky boys.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Wouldn't the person throwing Kadyrov out the window have their own pet Chechen to run things?

Kadyrov isn't just some rando. His dad was one of the Chechen warlords who rebelled against Moscow, and his army's loyalty to him is fundamentally personal. A huge chunk of those fighters won't follow anyone else Moscow installs.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

I don't think replacing Kadyrov is anything close to a trivial affair for Russia. They don't really have anyone else with an extensive patronage network and a bunch of violent and devoted followers who's willing to remain loyal to Russia (or rather.. specifically loyal to Putin, which seems more like the case with Kadyrov). Kadyrov's Chechnya is dependent on Russia for for alot, especially funding and arms IIRC, but due to the the previously emphasized point, he's got a lot more leverage than I think is often acknowledged. There's a reason he's basically allowed to run rampant and do whatever he wants within Chechnya.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Morrow posted:

Kadyrov isn't just some rando. His dad was one of the Chechen warlords who rebelled against Moscow, and his army's loyalty to him is fundamentally personal. A huge chunk of those fighters won't follow anyone else Moscow installs.

Wasn’t his father also a religious leader in the separatist government in the first invasion? And then stabbed them all in the back at some point to cozy up to Russia? I think I recall he got assassinated for it.

Fake Edit: Ignore the AV it’s a whole thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

freeasinbeer posted:

I know costs of living are rising and all that, but it's just five bucks to change it back, isn't it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

freeasinbeer posted:

Wasn’t his father also a religious leader in the separatist government in the first invasion? And then stabbed them all in the back at some point to cozy up to Russia? I think I recall he got assassinated for it.

IIRC he'd studied Islamic law at a Soviet institution and was a somewhat prominent religious official, which translates into he was almost certainly a KGB informer/agent.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's not something we have particularly good visibility into. I would expect the flow now to be considerably slower than it was in the spring, perhaps slow enough to argue about whether if “flow” describes it well.

I'm surprised Ukraine bothered with the foreign legion at all. Apart from the applicants that show up fully trained with specialized skills and have already fought, spending all that time and energy training and equipping someone that's not familiar with the language & culture and can just walk off in a month sounds like a big risk for little payoff.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Randarkman posted:

I don't think replacing Kadyrov is anything close to a trivial affair for Russia. They don't really have anyone else with an extensive patronage network and a bunch of violent and devoted followers who's willing to remain loyal to Russia (or rather.. specifically loyal to Putin, which seems more like the case with Kadyrov). Kadyrov's Chechnya is dependent on Russia for for alot, especially funding and arms IIRC, but due to the the previously emphasized point, he's got a lot more leverage than I think is often acknowledged. There's a reason he's basically allowed to run rampant and do whatever he wants within Chechnya.

IIRC, Kadyrov's forces were trained up by the FSB - not the army - and then FSB was kicked out. Kadyrov seems to function as a counterweight to the FSB, but his outsider status prevents him from ever being an actual threat to the throne. And Putin doesn't give a poo poo about what he does in Chechnya - in fact, the more brutal Kadyrov is, the better, since that makes him all the more dependent on Putin's backing.

Putin doesn't want to replace him, he doesn't give a poo poo as long as Kadyrov is loyal and is doing his job of making it more difficult for anyone in the security apparatus to engineer a coup.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Probably not. Maybe they would be able to recruit Kadyrov or some of his underlings to their ranks, but if Russian economy goes to full tilt then there is less bribe money, if any, to give to Kadyrov, who then can't pay his vassals and thus things start falling apart. Chechnya is akin to North Korea, there is just no democracy whatsoever so there also aren't any opposition parties ready to take power peacefully if the current government falls and there aren't any real challengers even inside Kadyrov's gang to Ramzan because he would have killed anyone so bold already, lest he be killed by them. It's a mafia run state pretty much.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

IIRC he'd studied Islamic law at a Soviet institution and was a somewhat prominent religious official, which translates into he was almost certainly a KGB informer/agent.

What I was remembering was he was Chief Mufti of independent Chechnya and lead a Militia.

Switched sides at start of the second Invasion and was President of Chechnya after the war until he was assassinated by islamists.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Kadyrov derives a significant amount of his power from the massive amount of cash that Moscow funnels into Chechnya through him as part of Putin's deal with the devil for peace in Chechnya. He'd lose a lot of leverage without that, but after two decades his grip on power and established security state very likely could survive without Moscow's support. Similar actually to hypotheticals about post-Putin Russia, you have a related core question of 'if not Kadyrov then who?' in Chechnya and Kadyrov has been significantly more ruthless than even Putin about ensuring that there is no answer to that question. There's a reason that there are significant numbers of Chechen fighters turning up to fight against Russia in every conflict Russia is party to: Chechnya is a very bad place to be if you oppose the status quo at all publicly or visibly. That's not to say his post-putin survival is guaranteed or anything, I'm just skeptical of the idea that putin going means kadyrov is gone. Particularly so if it's at a time where Russia can extremely not afford a new Chechen conflict.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Kadyrov derives a significant amount of his power from the massive amount of cash that Moscow funnels into Chechnya through him as part of Putin's deal with the devil for peace in Chechnya. He'd lose a lot of leverage without that, but after two decades his grip on power and established security state very likely could survive without Moscow's support. Similar actually to hypotheticals about post-Putin Russia, you have a related core question of 'if not Kadyrov then who?' in Chechnya and Kadyrov has been significantly more ruthless than even Putin about ensuring that there is no answer to that question. There's a reason that there are significant numbers of Chechen fighters turning up to fight against Russia in every conflict Russia is party to: Chechnya is a very bad place to be if you oppose the status quo at all publicly or visibly. That's not to say his post-putin survival is guaranteed or anything, I'm just skeptical of the idea that putin going means kadyrov is gone. Particularly so if it's at a time where Russia can extremely not afford a new Chechen conflict.

But for the very reasons that you mention, it would be hard for Kadyrov to maintain status quo: he's extremely unliked and dependent on Putin. Russia is running out of tanks, planes and everything, so there is little to give to him. If thousands of anti-Kadyrov fighters started to return to Chechnya, would he be able to repress guerrillas swiftly without tanks and air support?

Maybe, maybe not. We can't tell any of this beforehand, but I think it's clear that things don't look good for Ramzan if Putin falters, and if Kadyrov falters then there are going to be people who want vengeance.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 18, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm surprised Ukraine bothered with the foreign legion at all. Apart from the applicants that show up fully trained with specialized skills and have already fought, spending all that time and energy training and equipping someone that's not familiar with the language & culture and can just walk off in a month sounds like a big risk for little payoff.

A Finnish volunteer fighter was interviewed(article in Finnish, sorry :() earlier this week, and he said that he was "stuck in Kyiv for awhile" training the locals, when he wanted to go to the front lines instead. Presumably this was a somewhat useful way of utilizing a foreign volunteer, especially given that the same guy saw some combat during the summer, got wounded and is currently back in Finland. He says in the interview that he wants to go back, but he also opines that a lot of his fellow foreign volunteers "behaved poorly and got drunk a lot" during his time there, so who knows.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nenonen posted:

But for the very reasons that you mention, it would be hard for Kadyrov to maintain status quo: he's extremely unliked and dependent on Putin. Russia is running out of tanks, planes and everything, so there is little to give to him. If thousands of anti-Kadyrov fighters started to return to Chechnya, would he be able to repress guerrillas swiftly without tanks and air support?

It's more that Putin is dependent on Kadyrov. Particularly at the present moment which is why Kadyrov recently made noise about quitting while he was ahead (i.e. he realized that he could get an even better deal because Putin was particularly unable to deal with Chechen unrest). Given the current state of the Russian military, they are completely unable to deal with a new Chechen war so Kadyrov remains vital to whoever succeeds Putin.

Imo it's significant that Kadyrov is able to keep Chechnya pacified even while aligned with one of the single most unpopular people for a Chechen to be aligned with. His entire deal is that he is willing to do literally whatever it takes to keep Chechnya pacified. Putin disappearing doesn't change his willingness to use literally any amount of violence to stay in power and if anything he'd probably spin it into Chechnya finally being free of that piece of poo poo, Putin.

I agree that nothing is certain either way and Kadyrov unquestionably has made incredible amounts of enemies, idk how many enemies he has that are remotely strong enough to come at him in any way. This was the aftermath of the last prominent Kadyrov critic

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/world/europe/chechnya-abduction-putin-russia.html

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 18, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IIRC, Kadyrov's forces were trained up by the FSB - not the army - and then FSB was kicked out. Kadyrov seems to function as a counterweight to the FSB, but his outsider status prevents him from ever being an actual threat to the throne. And Putin doesn't give a poo poo about what he does in Chechnya - in fact, the more brutal Kadyrov is, the better, since that makes him all the more dependent on Putin's backing.

Putin doesn't want to replace him, he doesn't give a poo poo as long as Kadyrov is loyal and is doing his job of making it more difficult for anyone in the security apparatus to engineer a coup.

No, it's not quite like that. Kadyrov's guard is 141st motorized of Rosgvardiya (national guard) + Chechen OMON (riot police). 141st motorized is a 1st Chechen War formation, personal guard of Akhmad Kadyrov, and switched sides with him. It's that same guerilla from ways back, and was legalized as a part of ministry of interior troops somewhat separate from FSB.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Payndz posted:

I don't recall all the specifics, but I think this is in the category of anti-tank guns. I don't know that they take out tanks necessarily but can damage em. I'm sure someone with actual military background can provide better info than I can, if it's relevant - or to point out I'm wrong.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't recall all the specifics, but I think this is in the category of anti-tank guns. I don't know that they take out tanks necessarily but can damage em. I'm sure someone with actual military background can provide better info than I can, if it's relevant - or to point out I'm wrong.
Anti-tank rifles haven't been a thing since WW2. It's an anti-materiel rifle, so for soft skinned targets like cars, trailers, etc. The most well known one would be the Barret M82A1 'Light Fifty'.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

(This is looking south from Kerch harbor. The bridge is barely visible on the horizon.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1571123342366613505

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I expect experiments to counter Iranian weaponry is something they won’t have a ton of difficulty convincing the US to do. Hopefully there are some ideas that use tactics rather than needing all new counter weapons.

But also lol that Iran is to Russia what the US is to Ukraine. Gonna be great for Russian arms exports once everyone sees they had to go beg the Iranians for something that works.