Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Do choc switches feel like normal ones or more like weird laptop switches? Been thinking about making a sofle for my laptop and I like the space savings of choc-- but not sure if I'll like the switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Thanks for the info! Couple questions:

What is the difference between "slot" and "no slot"? I'm assuming slot is for more backlight shine-thru and/or for the style that uses the extra LED (similar to my CODE)?

mariooncrack posted:

You may also like Glorious Pandas:

https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-panda-mechanical-switches

Haven't used them myself so not sure how loud they are. They're another very popular tactile switch.

Kinda confused on these because the housing is solid white, but they say "SMD light hole for RGB compatibility"; is that similar to the slot mentioned above?

Edit: anyone have an opinion on the difference between the Lubed and Unlubed versions of these? Unlubed are currently on sale but if the lubed are significantly better than that would be good info. Don't currently have the time or patience to lube switches currently I don't think :(

Zarin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 18, 2022

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
You might want to try the entire Boba U4 range. While 68 vs. 62 is definitely a noticeable increase in tactility, I personally found 68 to be too much for extended typing sessions. I've also (subjectively, of course) found U4Ts to be a much better experience. They should feel the same as the U4s, but the added noise just adds feedback that I feel is missing from the U4s. The thock they produce isn't remotely as loud or obnoxious as clicky switches. In my build they're honestly not much louder than the noises produced by my co-workers hammering away on their lovely rubber dome keyboards, but YMMV.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Thanks for the reply, I still haven't bought anything so it's not too late at all. This does look nice. The folio case is really appealing. I'm curious about your comment on the ergonomics though, since it looks like the standard keyboard layout. What makes it especially ergonomic?

Oh, by ergonomic do you mean one of those weird lil split keyboards? If so then yes this is just a standard layout,, although it’s a special kind of mechanical keyboard with shorter keys so it’s more portable. I probably used the wrong terminology - it’s just very compact. Does come with little risers to raise the back a bit though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I was using a Microsoft Sculpt and the form factor was great, it was just too big to tote between several desks and its Linux compatibility was terrible. I've also used a Kinesis Freestyle 2, which is a crazy full split keyboard with two separate halves and that is also good, it's just also kind of bulky to carry around. While searching online I found a couple smaller full split keyboards like the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard and that Ergodox EZ one but those seem to be way out there at a level of complicated that I don't think I'm prepared to handle yet.

I think I'm leaning toward going with one of the standard 60% or 75% layouts without a curvy or split form factor, like the Nuphy you recommended or the Ducky One 2. Idk if a split or Sculpt-style semi-split can really be portable.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Badly Jester posted:

You might want to try the entire Boba U4 range. While 68 vs. 62 is definitely a noticeable increase in tactility, I personally found 68 to be too much for extended typing sessions. I've also (subjectively, of course) found U4Ts to be a much better experience. They should feel the same as the U4s, but the added noise just adds feedback that I feel is missing from the U4s. The thock they produce isn't remotely as loud or obnoxious as clicky switches. In my build they're honestly not much louder than the noises produced by my co-workers hammering away on their lovely rubber dome keyboards, but YMMV.

Ah, but you tempt me so . . . I did have my Box Navy board in an open-concept office and nobody cared. I had one person two rows away comment that they knew when I was typing vs. everyone else with their corporate-issue Dell Hellboards because it sounded different, but it wasn't a complaint, just an amusing observation.

Still not sure if I need "Slot" or "RGB Top" for Keychron C2 backlight to work correctly. I'll pop a Gateron switch out of the board on Monday when I'm back in the office and see what they look like.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Zarin posted:

Still not sure if I need "Slot" or "RGB Top" for Keychron C2 backlight to work correctly. I'll pop a Gateron switch out of the board on Monday when I'm back in the office and see what they look like.
You want the RGB variant for SMD-backlit keyboards. The translucent top transmits more light and the gap for the LED is bigger.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

☝️this tbh, it will very subtlely affect the sound signature. Also if you want more tactility out of them, swap in some lighter springs like 55g, really helped my U4T's feel better.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is the GMMK 2 96 a decent choice (either barebones or prebuilt) if I want to try out a 96%/1800 layout keyboard? I don't care about RGB lighting and will be typing more than gaming.

The alternative would be something like an Akko which has a basic model that is cheaper but isn't hotswappable. I've ruled out keyboards like the Keychron K4 because I'd like some separation with the numpad rather than all the keys smooshed together in a big long block.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is the GMMK 2 96 a decent choice (either barebones or prebuilt) if I want to try out a 96%/1800 layout keyboard? I don't care about RGB lighting and will be typing more than gaming.

The alternative would be something like an Akko which has a basic model that is cheaper but isn't hotswappable. I've ruled out keyboards like the Keychron K4 because I'd like some separation with the numpad rather than all the keys smooshed together in a big long block.

Yes, it's great. I have a prebuilt 96% board for a project I'm working on and it's pretty good for the price

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Trapezium Dave posted:

There's also the Keychron Q5 if you want to go up rather than down a price tier.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The GMMK 2 has the caveat of having north facing switches, which is an accommodation for :pcgaming: RGB :pcgaming: but can cause interference with Cherry profile keycaps

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My 9 year old niece liked the sound of my keyboard so she told me to buy her one with blue switches :unsmith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone know of a modern recreation of the Gateway Anykey? A friend who knows I dabble in keyboards asked me if one existed and while we've seen some elaborate boards I haven't found that particular layout anywhere. I see this reddit post trying to retrofit caps onto an AnyKey but not a new board.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My 9 year old niece liked the sound of my keyboard so she told me to buy her one with blue switches :unsmith:

It's your duty to get her box whites or pinks and drive her parents insane. I'm omiting Jades and Navies since those might be a bit too heavy for a 9 year old.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks everyone!

repiv posted:

The GMMK 2 has the caveat of having north facing switches, which is an accommodation for :pcgaming: RGB :pcgaming: but can cause interference with Cherry profile keycaps
Just to check, the north facing switch issue is specifically with Cherry keycaps right? i.e. if I wanted to go nuts with trying XDA, DSA, SA, etc it won't be an issue?

Llamadeus posted:

There's also the Keychron Q5 if you want to go up rather than down a price tier.
I've got a Keychron Q1 and while it's nice I find it feels weird in ways I'm unsure about. I don't know about gasket mount but the all metal body just isn't for me. I guess I'm used to the plastic keyboards.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Midjack posted:

Does anyone know of a modern recreation of the Gateway Anykey? A friend who knows I dabble in keyboards asked me if one existed and while we've seen some elaborate boards I haven't found that particular layout anywhere. I see this reddit post trying to retrofit caps onto an AnyKey but not a new board.

Full-size options in the hobbyist space are really rare, though there are a lot of keyboards recently with that extra macro column or two. If you add 'XT' to your search, you'll likely find keyboards with the extra columns on the left side, but to my knowledge there haven't been any recreations of that exact layout.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

.Z. posted:

It's your duty to get her box whites or pinks and drive her parents insane. I'm omiting Jades and Navies since those might be a bit too heavy for a 9 year old.

One parent I knew who was asking for keyboard advice actually wanted clickies for their kids because they said it's easier to tell when they're doing homework and when they're gaming lol

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Midjack posted:

That's a neat looking board, and I love the early macro keyboard and reprogrammability functions.

I was bored so I threw something together on KLE that's as close as I feel like putting effort in to getting it: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/d0614bb7b5ad72348487a735569c10d1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Midjack posted:

Reminds me a little of the Omnikey Ultra which I have a couple of (in various states of disrepair). Unfortunately they're from the early 90s and use ALPS complicated white switches so they're not really anything modern but the layout is very similar. They're pretty old school with DIN 5 connectors and everything. Foone linked a picture of one on twitter, I'd have to dig to get mine:
https://twitter.com/foone/status/933476826285879296

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
After 11 years my Logitech G11 has died, and while I've got my spare work keyboard, I do eventually need a replacement.

I don't need the macro keys anymore, as i've got a spacemouse, shuttle, and macropad these days, but I did like the illuminated letters.

So for a 100% keyboard, is there a good off the shelf one or should I stick with simple stuff or start the long process of selecting a nice mechanical? Saw one of those 100 option Keyswitch Tester's on amazon that I kinda want just for fun. Don't know if I actually have the patience to go down that route though.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Speaking from limited experience, the Keychron K10 could be a nice entry-level board. It does wired and BT, comes with their usual choice of Gateron switches, it's available with a hotswap PCB and RGB, it has north-facing LEDs which is good for shine-throughs and goes for about 100$ (with hotswap and RGB). I've personally only bought one Keychron board and haven't had a problem with it but a lot of people recommend you buy through Amazon for their return policy; apparently Keychron is hard to work with.

A Ducky One 3 is a bit more expensive and doesn't do BT but it feels nicer out of the box and also makes a lot more sense if you ever plan on customizing.

I've never used it but apparently the G11/G15 was a really great membrane keyboard so your bar may be high RE: switches!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

Ergodox EZ/Moonlander?

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Moonlander? It’s a bit on the pricey side, and I’d probably swap out any of the switches on offer, but it’s really tempting as an ergonomic split option (of which there are few, near as I can tell)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CordlessPen posted:

Speaking from limited experience, the Keychron K10 could be a nice entry-level board. It does wired and BT, comes with their usual choice of Gateron switches, it's available with a hotswap PCB and RGB, it has north-facing LEDs which is good for shine-throughs and goes for about 100$ (with hotswap and RGB). I've personally only bought one Keychron board and haven't had a problem with it but a lot of people recommend you buy through Amazon for their return policy; apparently Keychron is hard to work with.

A Ducky One 3 is a bit more expensive and doesn't do BT but it feels nicer out of the box and also makes a lot more sense if you ever plan on customizing.

I've never used it but apparently the G11/G15 was a really great membrane keyboard so your bar may be high RE: switches!

The ducky and the K10 both look viable. The G11 really did set a high bar for me for key feel. One feature I'm realizing I'm really going to miss most of all is the volume quick adjust dial. That was great, and might be enough for me to make my own.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i got my nuphy air75 and halo65 today - i decided to go with baby kangaroo for the halo, and it feels and sounds amazing. i’ve had (and currently use) corsair mech keyboards but the differences between them are like night and day.

i also got browns for my air75 bc i didn’t want to disturb people at work but i wish i had gone with blues because i really do like the clicky sound and feel.

anyways i have a feeling that i will probably be swapping out my corsair k100 sometime in the future.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Moonlander? It’s a bit on the pricey side, and I’d probably swap out any of the switches on offer, but it’s really tempting as an ergonomic split option (of which there are few, near as I can tell)

I'm coming up on two years with the Moonlander as my first split and first columnar and I'm still happy with it. Of course this niche is a series of rabbit holes so I'm constantly looking at other things, but so far nothing has grabbed my attention enough to replace it.

I just recently got the "Platform" tenting stand (https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/platform/) and have been playing around with that. So far I'm liking that too, though with great adjustability comes lots of fiddling.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So a few pages ago people were making GBS threads on Cherry Brown switches. What's wrong with them? If I want something that feels clicky-like but doesn't actually make a lot of noise what should I be looking for?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Shear Modulus posted:

So a few pages ago people were making GBS threads on Cherry Brown switches. What's wrong with them? If I want something that feels clicky-like but doesn't actually make a lot of noise what should I be looking for?

My beef with 'em is twofold: the tactility is low; the spring is soft enough that I sometimes trigger a keypress with my fingers just resting on the keys.

My ask was this:

Zarin posted:

Browns are - unsurprisingly - "rear end garbage" (I was told this is the technical term). In the very limited (w/r/t posters in this thread anyway) number of switch types I've tried, Box Navies hit the sweet spot, although something that was just the barest shade less heavy might be "perfect".

That being said, in the non-clicky-but-ultra-tactile space, what would be a good switch to slot into that board? I'd just go with Box Navies again, but since my plan is to use that keyboard in the office (that I have been forced back into, boo hiss) for the rest of my career, I should probably get something that FEELS good but isn't quite so noisy.

TL;DR: Any Goon Recs that:
• Maximum Tactile
• Reasonably quiet
• Similar to Box Navy (weight, tactility, etc)
• Would fit my Keychron C2 that came with Gateron Browns

Bonus points for reasonable pricing and reasonable availability. I'm not afraid to get spendy if the item is still a good value (i.e. worth the price), but I'm probably not interested in waiting a year for a group buy or something.

and the recommendation that meets the ask was this:

mariooncrack posted:

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4-silent-tactile-switches

Boba U4, probably 68g. You may also like Glorious Pandas:

https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/glorious-panda-mechanical-switches

Haven't used them myself so not sure how loud they are. They're another very popular tactile switch.

But in the end I was eventually once again sold on the siren song of satisfying typing noises and will be going with the Boba U4T when they're back in stock at RingerKeys:

Badly Jester posted:

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I’ve got a moonlander that never clicked with me. Even tried new keycaps but it’s just been drawered since a week after I got it. Make a reasonable offer and I can ship it your way. Can DM me

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I picked up an evga z15 on sale, was wondering what I could do to make the keys less sensitive? Just resting my fingers on the keys can sometimes cause unwanted keystrokes.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I picked up an evga z15 on sale, was wondering what I could do to make the keys less sensitive? Just resting my fingers on the keys can sometimes cause unwanted keystrokes.

I don't think there's much you can do about the switches you currently have (at least nothing that is reasonable in terms of cost/effort). The good news is that it does seems like your keyboard supports hotswapping switches, which means you can find switches that are slightly less sensitive and put them in without having to solder. I'm not to well-versed when it comes to gaming switches, though, but I'm sure someone else in the thread will be able to help you come up with a few to try out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Here's a cool keyboard I saw on display at the industrial design section of the new National Museum in Oslo:

I guess it's like 150%?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The short version is that there's just better tactile switches out there now. There's not much of a bump there so they feel like a linear. I think the most popular tactiles now are:

Drop Holy Pandas/Holy Panda X (expensive)
Glorious Pandas
Boba U4/T
Durock Sunflower T1

All have different spring weights. It's all preference so I can't tell you which to get. I personally like lighter switches so I went for the Boba U4T 62 g.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

change my name posted:

Here's a cool keyboard I saw on display at the industrial design section of the new National Museum in Oslo:

I guess it's like 150%?

Looks like a cool variation on the space cadet keyboard

mewse
May 2, 2006

change my name posted:

I guess it's like 150%?

A lot of old terminal keyboards had >104 keys, there's a model m with 122 keys

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

The short version is that there's just better tactile switches out there now. There's not much of a bump there so they feel like a linear. I think the most popular tactiles now are:

Drop Holy Pandas/Holy Panda X (expensive)
Glorious Pandas
Boba U4/T
Durock Sunflower T1

All have different spring weights. It's all preference so I can't tell you which to get. I personally like lighter switches so I went for the Boba U4T 62 g.

If I get a Keychron K2 V2 Hot-Swappable, are all those switches you mentioned compatible with it?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

M_Gargantua posted:

The ducky and the K10 both look viable. The G11 really did set a high bar for me for key feel. One feature I'm realizing I'm really going to miss most of all is the volume quick adjust dial. That was great, and might be enough for me to make my own.

There are shortcuts for media control on both the Keychron (Fn+F10/F11/F12 for mute/volume) and Ducky (Fn+Win+A/B/C for mute/volume I think, I hate it), but it's no knob. Good news is that knobs are en vogue so I'm fairly sure there are great full size mechs with them, bad news is I don't know any myself.

If you're open to the 1800 form factor, I very nearly bought an Epomaker G96 that looks amazing (Wired+BT+2.4GHz, huge battery, gasket-mounted, hot-swap). Only downsides (in my opinion) are the steel plate (I'd prefer PC), the ABS case (I like aluminium) and it's technically missing one key, but for the price it still looks great. LEDs are south-facing so that doesn't work as well if you get shine-through keycaps but I shouldn't think it's a deal breaker, plus it allows you to use Cherry-profile keycaps. It come with Epomaker switches (linear or tactiles) but I've never used them so I can't comment on how they feel.

It's a pre-order but it's supposed to ship really soon.

If you end up getting a 1800 or 96% keyboard, be aware that you'll be fairly limited when buying keycap sets, especially if you're looking for shine-throughs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LifeLynx posted:

If I get a Keychron K2 V2 Hot-Swappable, are all those switches you mentioned compatible with it?
Yes. Basically all full size keyswitches are Cherry MX compatible, which means they fit in the same places and take the same keycaps as a Cherry MX. Any full size hot swap boards will be designed for MX compatible switches. IIRC one vendor uses narrower pins on their switches, which are fine in other vendors' hot swap sockets but mean this vendor's own sockets do not work well with other vendors' switches.

While Cherry does have a low profile offering, the Kailh Choc seems to have become the standard formfactor for low profile switches in the keyboard enthusiast world so low profile hot swap boards will almost certainly be designed for Choc compatible switches.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Yes, the Keychron K2 V2 accepts all switches that are 3 or 5 pin. The switches I listed are mostly 5 pin. Most keyboards these days accept 5 pin switches unless you get something from Drop or something older. The extra pins are plastic and you can clip them with nail clippers if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

change my name posted:

I guess it's like 150%?

I'm pressing Scroll Lock+F11 as hard as I can and it's not bringing the Funk, what gives?