Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
every leak is marketing "there is nothing you can take from me i would not willingly give"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Why would a company have the source code for all their games not in some sort of air-gapped server?

But also, and this is definitely ignorance on my part, what’s the big deal about source code getting leaked? Is it because other people can produce the game? Or just rip out pieces and parts of it for their projects? Like, who gives a F if rockstar still produces the game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Game looks crazy good and I can't wait to play it in 2025.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why would a company have the source code for all their games not in some sort of air-gapped server?

Some large portion of them might have been working from home for the last couple years.

quote:

But also, and this is definitely ignorance on my part, what’s the big deal about source code getting leaked? Is it because other people can produce the game? Or just rip out pieces and parts of it for their projects? Like, who gives a F if rockstar still produces the game.

Nobody else is going to make this game. Somebody might steal the low temperature horse ball shrinking tech, but then they're going to have to hire artists to recreate the scrotal compression and no press is going to report on it because it's ten years old by then.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Having source code would play havok with any online stuff or post launch content they have planned, on pc at least, they would have to rewrite it. Its not just source code but tools too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
All leaked videos in one yt video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMPWIACWLM

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Nothing is ever properly secured, least of all something as unimportant as the source code for a video game. It's always cheaper to do things the stupid way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Nothing is ever properly secured, least of all something as unimportant as the source code for a video game. It's always cheaper to do things the stupid way

From what i can piece together, they got access to rockstar servers the exact same way they did uber, by getting into their slack account lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

From what i can piece together, they got access to rockstar servers the exact same way they did uber, by getting into their slack account lol

cursed app

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's usually not really a big deal -- github exists for a reason and knowledge of how to do a thing doesn't mean you are automatically capable of doing that thing. Smart companies protect people who actually do stuff; that's the bottleneck. Like Vikar said, the real issue is compromising the code at the consumer level, which erases any semblance of fairness in the game environment. Knowing how a thing works can give you the opportunity to exploit it without being detected. In this case, if the single player and multiplayer codebase is separate (and I can't imagine anything but the most basic of common functions aren't) then it's not only not a big deal to have that code but chances are you're going to find (and ideally recruit) the guys who are interested enough to both look at it and improve it. Plus when they're motivated enough to fix your code on spec or pro bono then you ain't gonna have to pay them much, either, to let them work in an official capacity on their dream project.

I might be too cynical for my own good, hahaha.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

That is one seriously big booty latina :eyepop:

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
For the first time ever, I'm experiencing interest in a grand theft auto

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

For the first time ever, I'm experiencing interest in a grand theft auto

Is it because,

Snowcow posted:

?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Not gonna watch an hour of leaked vids, but it doesn't look like there's anything interesting in them? Oh, you can rob stores and shoot at police. Wow, groundbreaking for a gta game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Not gonna watch an hour of leaked vids, but it doesn't look like there's anything interesting in them?

You missed one important thing though

Snowcow posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hopefully it's like AC Syndicate where everybody can and does play as the chick outside of the few mandated story missions where you absolutely have to pick the dude.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

MarcusSA posted:

Is it because,
[BIG BOOTY LATINA]
?

Digging through the smiley mines to find an appropriate response... here we go:

;-*

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m just blown away by all the code stuff going by a mile a minute. I’m completely naive to how game programming works so seeing all these lines and strings of text and math fly by is just borderline NASA levels baffling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m just blown away by all the code stuff going by a mile a minute. I’m completely naive to how game programming works so seeing all these lines and strings of text and math fly by is just borderline NASA levels baffling.
every video game is doing that all the time, forever, even when youre just standing still

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Geez that GTA 6 protagonist 🥵

They should have given us a female protag long ago. She looks like she'll be fun

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Orc Priest posted:

Geez that GTA 6 protagonist 🥵

They should have given us a female protag long ago. She looks like she'll be fun

Theres like 4 of em in gta1

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Lol

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1571419028496830464?s=20&t=W7KSXzQ0WujX5h02_kZF5Q

Lmao

Edit: as if there was any doubt

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1571489679534608384

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 18, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did you guys turn on the lock-on function in Sushi Ghost? I just started playing it last night and I can't get comfortable with it or without it, feels like I'm fighting the camera all the time. Figure I just oughta pick the best option and just work on getting used to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Theres like 4 of em in gta1

What are you talking about GTA3 was the first one

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Finally Bloodborne on PC (after PSX demake):
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1571227744255578115?t=m7D3RPuz10f5s8g2Bh3Lcg&s=19

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Did you guys turn on the lock-on function in Sushi Ghost? I just started playing it last night and I can't get comfortable with it or without it, feels like I'm fighting the camera all the time. Figure I just oughta pick the best option and just work on getting used to it.

not me, the game was usually pretty good about defaulting to whoever i wanted to slice up without forcing it

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Is that in bedrock, need to rtx that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tried the Wo Long demo and it's OK I guess. Is there really nothing you can do about red dot attacks other than parry with correct timing? I keep getting my rear end kicked by a tiger

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
wow the final fight of Ashen is loving terrible

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

Tried the Wo Long demo and it's OK I guess. Is there really nothing you can do about red dot attacks other than parry with correct timing? I keep getting my rear end kicked by a tiger

dont be where the attack is

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Finally caught up on the new thread.

Just in time to say… goddamn that GTA VI booty

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Oxxidation posted:

not me, the game was usually pretty good about defaulting to whoever i wanted to slice up without forcing it

Yea same
Tried lock on for about an hour and just didn’t like it. I think eventually no lock on just clicked

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCdW5f7xa1Q

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dmca's are hitting. To see this poo poo in real time...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Bananana posted:

This is good info.
So... does that mean '22 would be a better buy today?

Yeah i'm just sticking with Madden 22, it's on EA's version of Game Pass, and if you already have Game Pass you can play it right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game looks great (what I was able to watch before it all got taken down off Youtube), I am really excited to see official footage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

You can vainly attempt to mash the dodge button then go 'oh yeah this doesn't work very well' for the 50th time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dodge/parry mapping means that you get exactly one button press to parry an attack, if you double-tap then you'll hop backward and eat poo poo. doesn't seem optimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Because people have to work with it and coordinate around it. We're talking probably hundreds of people working out of multiple offices if not their own homes. Are they supposed to mail usb drives to one another? That source code only has value worth protecting as long as people can use it. The only places I've seen an honest to goodness air gapped network in my life are government facilities where state secrets are handled. The term gets thrown around in industry but IME it always refers to networks that are merely firewalled from the internet. Working around an actual physical air gap is too costly and burdensome even for industry secrets. And for all their cost air gaps can still fail, usb drives etc can be vectors. That's how the US and Israel got stuxnet onto an air gapped Iranian uranium refinery!