Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, the Electoral College flawlessly solved the problem of voters being swept off their feet by a populist demagogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like if Germany had the electoral college, surely the Nazis would have just come to power sooner and killing the Jews would not have even had to be a majority position

Tyranny of the majority my rear end

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

How the f does indirect voting ameliorate the effects of faction
It doesn't.

Data Graham posted:

Why is it a bad thing for farmers and rural townsfolk to be bullied and pushed around by the "far more numerous" city folk
Because people in different communities may have different problems and priorities, and the smaller communities having their concerns ignored in favour of those of the larger communities is generally a bad thing as their problems then go unsolved.

Data Graham posted:

Why is "tyranny of the majority" a bigger threat than "tyranny of the minority"
A minority is, comparatively, easier to overwhelm. When the majority is in favour of something, they're already likely to get their way without official procedures in place to ensure it.

Data Graham posted:

How would the electoral college system have prevented the Holocaust
It's possible that a different electoral system would have prevented the Nazis from rising to power, I guess? I don't know enough about either the pre-WW2 German political system or the American political system to even venture a guess about this specific example though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(Yea I know it was a parliamentary coalition)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Sorry to abruptly change the subject but

Why is it a bad thing for farmers and rural townsfolk to be bullied and pushed around by the "far more numerous" city folk
Why is "tyranny of the majority" a bigger threat than "tyranny of the minority"
How would the electoral college system have prevented the Holocaust

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, this screed just makes a bunch of weird unsupported assertions and runs away giggling while I'm trying to figure out what was "logical" about it

If you want the small states to join a union, you have to convince them they won't be swamped by bigger states. Hence the equal representation in the Senate.

Australia had the same fop to smaller states - the Australian Senate gave each state an equal number of senators so that Victoria and New South Wales couldn't override the less populous WA, Tasmania, South Australia.

The Holocaust thing is just bullshit. Germany didn't vote on the Holocaust, Hitler seized power by formenting a crisis and then pushing through the 1933 Enabling Act which gave the Chancellor unfettered rule. Once that was done he and his cronies then crushed any dissent. There was nothing democratic about the Holocaust.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't really believe that left-wing goons really have an ideological commitment to democracy. If we lived in a world where voters in the US were left-wing along the same vein as Jeffersonian Republicans, almost certainly goons would be falling all over themselves to defend the electoral college.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

silence_kit posted:

I don't really believe that left-wing goons really have an ideological commitment to democracy. If we lived in a world where voters in the US were left-wing along the same vein as Jeffersonian Republicans, almost certainly goons would be falling all over themselves to defend the electoral college.

Lol what? The slave owning, land owning elite were the real leftists all along?

If only we could all be as committed to the ideals of individual liberty as someone who owned other people

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

silence_kit posted:

the social media is coming from inside the thread

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

silence_kit posted:

:goofy:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1035218616403128320

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

this is true, Marx was inspired by Jefferson, remember when Das Kapital had a chapter on raping your slaves and keeping most of your population from having any control over their lives? I'm sick of these tankie fucks pretending Jefferson wasn't the original communist

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Democracy sucks rear end

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Democracy sucks rear end

Can confirm.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The only hope we have as a species is for benevolent alien gods to come vassalise us.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Goons are very quick to throw out the idea of democracy when it reaches conclusions that they don't like or agree with. And they defend un-democratic institutions when it suits their political ideology (example: the political process through which the Roe v. Wade ruling prevented restrictions on abortion was very anti-democratic). I question their ideological commitment to democracy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

silence_kit posted:

Goons are very quick to throw out the idea of democracy when it reaches conclusions that they don't like or agree with. And they defend un-democratic institutions when it suits their political ideology (example: the political process through which the Roe v. Wade ruling prevented restrictions on abortion was very anti-democratic). I question their ideological commitment to democracy.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

democracy sucks rear end and a dictatorship of the proletariat is objectively correct

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

silence_kit posted:

be honest OP: which probation are you mad about

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dumpmaster General posted:

democracy sucks rear end and a dictatorship of the proletariat is objectively correct

Thank you for being honest about your political beliefs instead of making up stories about your ideological commitment to democracy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo
I am curious what 'goons'...like the Supreme Court? I think it's pretty uncontroversial here to say gently caress those mummies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silence_kit posted:

If Congress were democratic, the right to an abortion would have been enshrined into law decades ago, and Roe v. Wade wouldn’t matter.

A majority of the American public has long supported abortion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

And actually wanting to be around them too? Wild

Not relatable

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people don’t actually like Democracy, that’s why states put so much effort into throwing in as many roadblocks as possible.

Though it’s funny the Supreme Court wasn’t meant to be one of those road blocks but some dude just bullshit his way into being one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

I realise this may be an astonishing idea but perhaps people can simultaneously believe that some things are good by whatever means they are achieved, and also that a system which achieves the maximum amount of good things would have to be democratic, and that having a say over things that govern your life is itself an inherently good thing, but that doesn't mean that everything it produces is also good.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Data Graham posted:

Sorry to abruptly change the subject but

sighs as I unsheath my keyboard

e: haha holy poo poo I was still a page behind but really I should have been responding to this

silence_kit posted:

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Sep 18, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Democracy is when you go to a polling station and get to pick between Mitch McConnell, a pro-Trump Democrat, and a Libertarian. Then you get a sticker.

Dictatorship is when you go to a polling station and only get to vote for a Communist. Presence of a sticker is unconfirmed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Democracy dies, attached to nothing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pretty sure capitalism killed democracy forever decades ago.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

silence_kit posted:

Undemocratic institutions like those that would make some people's votes count for more than others? Can you think of anything like that?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
It was wild the first time I pushed the "Close Doors" button on an elevator and the doors actually closed

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

OwlFancier posted:

I realise this may be an astonishing idea but perhaps people can simultaneously believe that some things are good by whatever means they are achieved, and also that a system which achieves the maximum amount of good things would have to be democratic, and that having a say over things that govern your life is itself an inherently good thing, but that doesn't mean that everything it produces is also good.

Yeah I think democracy is better than dictatorship, but also I will absolutely do a crime to circumvent an unjust law. I don't think that's a contradiction.

It's a weird gotcha argument of like, oh, you say you like democracy but you don't like the elected government's policies and want them to change? Guess you're secretly a fascist. In a true democracy, everyone loves dear leader.

I think it's an argument on the level of "you say you support tolerance, but you won't tolerate my intolerance. This makes you a hypocrite."

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think it's worth noting that, while the electoral college is terrible, it's terribleness is exasperated by the cap on the number of representatives in the House; NYC alone should have something like a couple hundred reps going by the ratio provided in the constitution ("No more than 1 rep per 30,000 people").

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Neito posted:

I think it's worth noting that, while the electoral college is terrible, it's terribleness is exasperated by the cap on the number of representatives in the House; NYC alone should have something like a couple hundred reps going by the ratio provided in the constitution ("No more than 1 rep per 30,000 people").
Thats an exacerbating typo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of people want to live under a dictator who always agrees with them. I don't think that's particularly surprising or controversial.

The difference is in how hard we're working to make that happen.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Democracy is actually bad, see Brexit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FFT posted:

Thats an exacerbating typo

Where's the typo?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Exacerbate" means to make worse, "exasperate" means to make someone sick of your bullshit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Exacerbate" means to make worse, "exasperate" means to make someone sick of your bullshit.

Ah, fair enough, that's what I get for posting pre-coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Neito posted:

Where's the typo?