Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sphyre posted:

just a heads up for lobster shirt

JUST ONE MORE LANE BRO, JUST GIMME THREE MORE LANES AND I CAN FIX IT, JUST TEN MORE LANES THATS ALL I NEED, SEVENTEEN MORE LANES,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sphyre posted:

finally, enough lanes!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, public transportation should be self funded because that is only fair.

Oh yeah and Texas spends about 10% of its total budget just on highway construction.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Sep 18, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sphyre posted:

looks like poo poo

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Sphyre posted:

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

JUST ONE MORE LANE BRO, JUST GIMME THREE MORE LANES AND I CAN FIX IT, JUST TEN MORE LANES THATS ALL I NEED, SEVENTEEN MORE LANES,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShS4eCfWUdM

this is further evidence that civil transportation engineers are driven purely by the thanatos instinct

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Legit thought it was parody at first glance

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
jesus christ, texas

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
have they tried to cut down on unnecessary travelling

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Public transportation wouldn't work in America. Not enough people are traveling to the same place at the same time.

Americans:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sphyre posted:

why can't i find this on their twitter, was it deleted?

edit: oh that's fb i'm dumb

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Sep 18, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's on their facebook

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

“I just want it over with,” said Ted Pitchford, 55, who lives in Webster and works in downtown Houston.

:laffo:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

larper posted:

by 2030 houston will be a completely gridlocked highway interchange 200,000 lanes wide

Not true. It will also be parking lots.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Not true. It will also be parking lots.

elonm is going to eliminate the need for parking lots. your car will just circle the block while you work.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*cocks handgun* I can help

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The truly baffling thing is I poked around on google maps and the traffic isn't really that bad in that area. Houston is pretty hosed up.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

distortion park posted:

This is both the best thing about the funeral and also makes me mad. Get on the bus Joe!
https://twitter.com/gallardo_ortega/status/1571082473882423298?t=g0XY_v2n1BeUFFbezYJ-oA&s=19

I'd use it as an excuse to skip the whole affair, personally.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

looks like poo poo

Looks like a parody

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
remember when we closed down the 405 and the resultant "carmageddon" to add more lanes and it obviously didnt do poo poo?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Wolfy posted:

The truly baffling thing is I poked around on google maps and the traffic isn't really that bad in that area. Houston is pretty hosed up.

TXDOT want to widen I-45. It's the large highway that runs from Dallas-Houston-Galveston. You see, if they widen the highway at Webster, that will allow TXDOT to shove even more car traffic faster into Houston, causing more traffic congestion in Houston. Then TXDOT will have more reason to widen the highways in Houston to alleviate that congestion.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Death to all cars!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lanes for the Lane God.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Smythe posted:

remember when we closed down the 405 and the resultant "carmageddon" to add more lanes and it obviously didnt do poo poo?
In LA's defense metro realized what a waste that was and will have some form of transit through there by 2040 or whatever. At least they're trying.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New trains coming
https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-news/2022/9/tgv-m-takes-new-step

sexy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Wolfy posted:

In LA's defense metro realized what a waste that was and will have some form of transit through there by 2040 or whatever. At least they're trying.

I don't know if LA could ever really have an effective transportation system to be honest. Not only is expansion happening far too slow versus the issues the city is facing, but it is also just so physically big it is pretty difficult to actually design a "cost effective" system.

New York at least has the building blocks, but LA...it is just going to take a long time. I would say in general that the US is pretty far gone at this point: the few cities that have some the elements of some type of system are just not livable for normal people.

If anything the only real thing that keeps the US together is oil production in the Gulf, if that dropped off, the US really would be screwed and the USD wouldn't be enough to save it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ardennes posted:

If anything the only real thing that keeps the US together is oil production in the Gulf, if that dropped off, the US really would be screwed and the USD wouldn't be enough to save it.

you could say that about any major oilfield though, and gulf production is dwarfed by onshore fields. like the permian produces over 5 million barrels/day and the gulf produces less than 2 million. overall offshore production is like 15% of the US total.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I don't know if LA could ever really have an effective transportation system to be honest. Not only is expansion happening far too slow versus the issues the city is facing, but it is also just so physically big it is pretty difficult to actually design a "cost effective" system.

New York at least has the building blocks, but LA...it is just going to take a long time. I would say in general that the US is pretty far gone at this point: the few cities that have some the elements of some type of system are just not livable for normal people.

ardennes im sure u dont need me to tell u this but los angeles used to have the most expansive mass transit system in the country possibly the world.... ??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you can just build trollies. you can pay money to build trollies its easy. just put them in the street. very very easy. just gotta WANT IT

mystes
May 31, 2006

Smythe posted:

you can just build trollies. you can pay money to build trollies its easy. just put them in the street. very very easy. just gotta WANT IT
I want it. Please build the trollies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

you could say that about any major oilfield though, and gulf production is dwarfed by onshore fields. like the permian produces over 5 million barrels/day and the gulf produces less than 2 million. overall offshore production is like 15% of the US total.

u jerk off to this?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

u jerk off to this?

no i think it's bad, there should be less oil

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Busted a spoke on my cargo bike

Oh well, after a year of putting it through hell, and performing basic maintenance i hit a problem I couldn't solve

Took the tyre off, rode the backup bike to the bike shop rim in hand

$50 later I'm getting the spoke replaced, a wheel true and a smile

If I'm paying $50 worth of maintenance a year on a vehicle that cost me $300, that's not bad imho

It's pretty good my thinks

In short cars suck, bikes rule

Enjoy my local Bikeway that allows me easy access to the city faster than any other mode except maybe helicopter

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

thats a nice bikeway OP

wanna ride that bikeway

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

Okay, let me correct that, if the US lost one of its major fields or started seeing major declines in a couple of them, it wouldn’t go well. The US couldn’t afford its trade deficit to explode while giving control
over oil prices to OPEC at the same time.

Smythe posted:

ardennes im sure u dont need me to tell u this but los angeles used to have the most expansive mass transit system in the country possibly the world.... ??

It used to but not only that was a long time ago (and that infrastructure is gone) but LA simply sprawled far out of control. Something is better than nothing, but LA is probably beyond saving at this point. It isn’t the only city either.

A big part of the solutions that are available,, in particular, light rail in the US usually has fairly low capacity, large distances between stations in awkward areas, and usually goes pretty slow due to lack of right of ways. It just takes forever to cross LA by transit.

You could try to make Metrolink more of a s-bahn system but it would take quite a bit of planning.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Sep 18, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Sphyre posted:

thats a nice bikeway OP

wanna ride that bikeway

There is a section near here that does the whole raise sections to forces cars to give way. Then a lovely active travel path that straight shots right into a city center. I am not exaggerating when I say it is faster than driving. The power of "20 kmph bike on a direct safe route" is incredible

The Bikeway infrastructure is world class here but no where near enough

Slowly more and more is popping up, we had a successful trial of a counter flow bike lane in the city and it's been wildly popular

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It used to but not only that was a long time ago (and that infrastructure is gone) but LA simply sprawled far out of control. Something is better than nothing, but LA is probably beyond saving at this point. It isn’t the only city either.

A big part of the solutions that are available,, in particular, light rail in the US usually has fairly low capacity, large distances between stations in awkward areas, and usually goes pretty slow due to lack of right of ways. It just takes forever to cross LA by transit.

You could try to make Metrolink more of a s-bahn system but it would take quite a bit of planning.

by god if we put a man on the moon we can close some dang ol traffic lanes and put a trolley on it. i believe in us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jestery posted:

Busted a spoke on my cargo bike

Oh well, after a year of putting it through hell, and performing basic maintenance i hit a problem I couldn't solve

Took the tyre off, rode the backup bike to the bike shop rim in hand

$50 later I'm getting the spoke replaced, a wheel true and a smile

If I'm paying $50 worth of maintenance a year on a vehicle that cost me $300, that's not bad imho

It's pretty good my thinks

In short cars suck, bikes rule

Enjoy my local Bikeway that allows me easy access to the city faster than any other mode except maybe helicopter

that's alot for a spoke replacement+true

mystes
May 31, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Spoke replacement: $5
True: $25
Smile: $20

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It's not as bad as it sounds

It's not something I can do, and I like my local bike shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My uneducated opinion is that we shouldn't be trying to build transit for all of sprawled America. We should be trying to rebuild urban cores. If people want to drive in from wherever, it's not like that can be stopped, but don't design the city to facilitate it.

I don't know what this would look like in LA, but start somewhere and people will probably like it.