Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I guess flip flop was the term I was looking for! Wierd doepfer or someone doesn't make a simple module that does it.

Fixed voltage into a voltage controlled switch also works and saves me one channel of trigger sequencing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Basic switching circuits like a flip flop should be about the level that one could look up a circuit design and build one with breadboard and simple components.

Counters and simple logic stuff were some of the first labs in my first automation and controls class in college. Don't think there would be anything proprietary in those kinds of circuit designs. You'd have to figure out interfacing with jacks, and mounting stuff. But it could be a real diy project.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's a question I've been mulling a couple times lately. I was listening to an old pop song, completely nonelectronic, and noticing that the guitars kind of play in a speedy fashion, I think what they're doing is playing a tiny bit faster than the bpm of the song and syncing up on the 1 every measure, for the duration of a song. It gives a really speedy feeling, it's really compelling. And I was wondering if there are any preferred techniques for doing something like that using MIDI or anything else I'm not aware of.

And here is another question on the back of my mind for a long time. I'm not perfectly clear what a "pumping" action does literally, I think it has a lot to do with things outside of the musician's control like speaker placement. Are there any effects or popular methods for recreating this as an effect in studio?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I usually think of sidechain compression as the way to get a pumping sound. Bastle Dynamo is designed for this, but it can be done with inverted signal and a VCA.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pumping vs ducking? Does the difference lay in the time element of the envelope? Like a fast or slow attack?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Pumping vs ducking? Does the difference lay in the time element of the envelope? Like a fast or slow attack?

Is this what pumping means to you? Is that all there is to it?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Is this what pumping means to you? Is that all there is to it?
Not sure what it really means to me, maaaaaan.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Here's a question I've been mulling a couple times lately. I was listening to an old pop song, completely nonelectronic, and noticing that the guitars kind of play in a speedy fashion,

this is a recurring problem across the internet but why would you not just name the song and artist

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Laserjet 4P posted:

this is a recurring problem across the internet but why would you not just name the song and artist

I think it was a deliberate effect. They always appear to be speeding up but never really do. I think it's the bass guitar mostly, in addition to a snappy backbeat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1rWbt0lf4

But my larger point was, I forget what the point was. I guess I was thinking there might be something interesting in doing this programmatically, but I guess that's likely more of a DAW question than a synthesis question.

B33rChiller posted:

Not sure what it really means to me, maaaaaan.

LOL let me just ask the old internet what is audio pumping

quote:

In audio, recording, and music, pumping or gain pumping is a creative misuse of compression, the "audible unnatural level changes associated primarily with the release of a compressor."[1] There is no correct way to produce pumping, and according to Alex Case, the effect may result from selecting "too slow or too fast...or too, um, medium" attack and release settings.[2]

The technique is common in rock and electronic dance music. A celebrated example is Phil Selway's (Radiohead) drum track on "Exit Music (For a Film)", and clear examples include the electro percussion loop in Radiohead's "Idioteque", Benny Benassi's "Finger Food", and the ride cymbals on Portishead's "Pedestal".[3]: 82–83 

Side-chain pumping is a more advanced technique using a compressor's side-chain feature which, "uses the amplitude envelope (dynamics profile) of one track as a trigger for a compressor used in another track." When the amplitude of a note of the side-chained instrument surpasses the threshold setting of the compressor it attenuates the compressed instrument, producing volume swells offset from the side-chained note by a selected release time.[3]: 83  Found in house, techno, IDM, hip hop, dubstep, and drum 'n' bass, Eric Prydz's "Call On Me" is credited with popularizing the technique, though Daft Punk's "One More Time" contributed, while clear examples include Madonna's "Get Together" and Benny Benassi's "My Body (feat. Mia J)".[3]: 84 

Hope you're satisfied

I don't know what it is, I always associated it with a physical effect at the listener end. I think sidechain compression is similar but not the same?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

My idea of pumping is all based around a personal memory. In 1991 I used to be kinda buddies with a guy that did the sound for a bunch of dance clubs and he brought me into a couple of them one day to help him move speakers around. I'm still not clear on exactly what kind of magic that guy did but it has stuck with me all my life. From that day forward I knew who was the real artist in the electro and techno clubs.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 17, 2022

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

i consider ducking sidechain compression as a tool to make a mix fit together better, whereas pumping is more of an effect like in french house. king of like how with reverb you can use it to create physical distance between yourself and the instrument or use it as an effect that is part of the instrument’s sound itself

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ducking is done with side chaining and pumping is done by configuring a character compressor's threshold, attack and release to behave rhythmically with the material. Depending on how you have your ducker set you might get a pumping-like effect though. These days a lot of the same thing is accomplished by automating amplitude w/ LFO instead, but I personally prefer ducking.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 17, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for all the discussion and explanation folks. Every day is a school day.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

That's right! ty2u2

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

I guess flip flop was the term I was looking for! Wierd doepfer or someone doesn't make a simple module that does it.

Fixed voltage into a voltage controlled switch also works and saves me one channel of trigger sequencing!

Hahaha you're at the sub-module level now, I think the problem is that it's just not really enough stuff to break out on its own.

VC switch is almost definitely 'just' a flip flop chip and an op amp buffer or two, but wrapped up w/ a UI

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I'm gonna have to go to school for soldering or something. I need to make better cables.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Every day is school day so much that I'm gonna have to start soldering poo poo again.

Right now though I just got a MPK25 and I'm fooling around with Surge for the first time. This is real nice. I think this is how the rest of my afternoon and evening are going to be.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Surge kicks rear end. I know that it’s capable of approximating the General MIDI soundset by synthesis and sampling at at least the level of an MT-32 and I should make a soundset that does exactly that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Laserjet 4P posted:

Surge kicks rear end. I know that it’s capable of approximating the General MIDI soundset by synthesis and sampling at at least the level of an MT-32 and I should make a soundset that does exactly that.

I'm also enjoying this MPK25, just got it. I had the MPK Mini before, loved it, but this has so much more to it like pretty good, sensitive keys. And replicating the velocity of each keystroke in the arp as well makes it a lot nicer. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to map these 12 knobs either. As of yet I'm still cycling through all the presets, just starting to familiarize myself. But this feels really nice so far. Some interesting arps in the presets, too.

ED: And this is my first keyboard with aftertouch!

ED2: And the arp works with the aftertouch too, this is sweet! Making me wish I had a bigger keyboard now.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 18, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

petit choux posted:

Here's a question I've been mulling a couple times lately. I was listening to an old pop song, completely nonelectronic, and noticing that the guitars kind of play in a speedy fashion, I think what they're doing is playing a tiny bit faster than the bpm of the song and syncing up on the 1 every measure, for the duration of a song. It gives a really speedy feeling, it's really compelling. And I was wondering if there are any preferred techniques for doing something like that using MIDI or anything else I'm not aware of.

In the grid in Bitwig modules that do stuff over a period of time, like note sequences or gate triggers, have a phase input. This is a rising signal that usually goes in a ramp from 0 to 1 over the course of a bar.

To get the effect you describe, you can change the shape of this ramp so it finishes before the bar is done. You can also do stuff like turn it into an S-curve, or make it go forwards and backwards.

I'm sure similar concepts and manipulations exist in other modular environments.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone want a Synthstrom Deluge? I'm selling mine in SA-Mart.

If you want to put down the OLED deposit with Synthstrom I'm happy to ship it to them and have them ship it back to you once the retrofit is done.

This thing is fun as hell and surprisingly intuitive to learn, but I'm realizing I'm not the "make music" type and am happy with learning to play a guitar instead.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
so I'm probably insane because I went on a single-night airbnb by myself.... and..... uh......

The thing is, it's literally easier to do this than "just bring the rack and a keyboard" because they i have to worry about mixing and usb out and and and, and my teardown/setup time on this thing is 10-15 mins on either end, so 40-60 mins total to have this poo poo with me.

Also, I found out Chipz can sound really good*!!!!!

* if you run the output through a $800 digital effects filter and a Zlob SVF :allears:

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

field balm posted:

The Klavis Logica XT has a flip-flop mode, among the other neat things it can do.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wow, this thing.

https://youtu.be/F-OhCW1CScI

GRP Synthesizers A4. $6,000. Seems more like a fun toy than a good tool, tbh. For example the sequencer seems kinda pointless, you're almost certainly not going to use it without an external sequencer. And if you're getting something at this level, you'd probably rather have patch points like the ARP 2600 or one of the Moog semi modulars, rather than this rigidly normalized synth.

Fun to look at tho.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ColdPie posted:

Wow, this thing.

https://youtu.be/F-OhCW1CScI

GRP Synthesizers A4. $6,000. Seems more like a fun toy than a good tool, tbh. For example the sequencer seems kinda pointless, you're almost certainly not going to use it without an external sequencer. And if you're getting something at this level, you'd probably rather have patch points like the ARP 2600 or one of the Moog semi modulars, rather than this rigidly normalized synth.

Fun to look at tho.
It has that system-700 look and feel; seems oriented at people who want that. Curious the quality of the keybed; the price might or might not be cheaper than a full modular setup depending on the component quality, I guess?

edit: given how quickly I have burned roughly 5-6k on components, I hazard a guess that it's cheaper than DIY unless the components suck and/or the keybed is lower quality than an Akai MPK keybed, which both seem unlikely at this price point. But yeah, give me anything besides that sequencer in that space.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 19, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You mean the keyboard he's using in the video? That's not part of the synth, he's just using it as a controller.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do I limit and amplify 0-10V CV signal from an LFO say to 5-7V? I'm in VCV and passing to a visuals software that doesn't have it's own min-max settings for MIDI input. I tried a VCA, but that only reduces the amplitude.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

How do I limit and amplify 0-10V CV signal from an LFO say to 5-7V? I'm in VCV and passing to a visuals software that doesn't have it's own min-max settings for MIDI input. I tried a VCA, but that only reduces the amplitude.

I think I would try first adding a DC offset of +5V, then sending that output into a VCA, and reducing the amplitude. There's a module I use quite often called "add5", which has a whole strip worth of ins and outs, and all it does is lift the entire signal up 5V. Great for turning bipolar LFOs into unipolar.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Basic switching circuits like a flip flop should be about the level that one could look up a circuit design and build one with breadboard and simple components.

Counters and simple logic stuff were some of the first labs in my first automation and controls class in college. Don't think there would be anything proprietary in those kinds of circuit designs. You'd have to figure out interfacing with jacks, and mounting stuff. But it could be a real diy project.

JamesKPolk posted:

Hahaha you're at the sub-module level now, I think the problem is that it's just not really enough stuff to break out on its own.

VC switch is almost definitely 'just' a flip flop chip and an op amp buffer or two, but wrapped up w/ a UI

Please don't encourage me guys, i have all the tools and stuff from when i got into building guitar pedals, i simply dont have enough to play my modular let alone build it!

Eccles posted:

The Klavis Logica XT has a flip-flop mode, among the other neat things it can do.

This is a wierd but cool looking module, for some reason im more attracted to misc utility modules than stuff like oscillators and filters lol.

Anyway! Made a cool sound this arvo, I was doing a pretty standard 2 op fm thing with STO and another osc and for some reason decided to feedback the completed fm sound into the sync input on STO and got a really cool, glitchy sound:

https://on.soundcloud.com/jN9dV

Unfortunately now I'll have to leave this patch set up so i can actually write something with it

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In VCV, try using the Befaco Dual Attenuverter. “Offset” let’s you raise (or lower) the floor of the signal, and Attenuverter let’s you attenuate between 0 and 1x (or -1x and 0) so that you can limit the ceiling.

I’ve never used VCV, but I’m to understand that all of the Befaco stuff is free.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I figured out how to make blast beats in VCV with some noodle doodling.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

In VCV, try using the Befaco Dual Attenuverter. “Offset” let’s you raise (or lower) the floor of the signal, and Attenuverter let’s you attenuate between 0 and 1x (or -1x and 0) so that you can limit the ceiling.

I’ve never used VCV, but I’m to understand that all of the Befaco stuff is free.

This is correct, and you can also use the Befaco A*B+C module as well IIRC. B and C jacks normal to fixed voltages.

e: I'm finding 0.5 on the B pot and 0.835 on the C pot to be roughly the right values.

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 20, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Since my fiancee and I are moving into a smaller place, I got the go-ahead to figure out a new case solution to consolidate my Eurorack stuff.

And Patchwerks just got the black TipTop Mantis cases in. :q:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 20, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

Since my fiancee and I are moving into a smaller place, I got the go-ahead to figure out a new case solution to consolidate my Eurorack stuff.

:nice:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

RocketMermaid posted:

They look so much better in black it's ridiculous. I could only find the white ones when I was looking so I went with an alm skiff, but part of me wishes I'd held out lol.

Just ordered a joranalogue select 2 and add 2. Excited to gently caress up some pitch cv.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If I get a second 6u rackbrute, can I use the link system to connect them the same way I would if I got a 3u? I don't see why not....

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Cabbages and Kings posted:

If I get a second 6u rackbrute, can I use the link system to connect them the same way I would if I got a 3u? I don't see why not....

Yes absolutely you can

e: also you can get a bag that holds two 6u's that are linked together

Dr. Honked fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 20, 2022

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Eurorack looks so cool, and encourages individualism*. I love it.

I love the cables, panels, knobs, and LEDs so much!

*: Or at least allows it to a great degree

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

dexefiend posted:

Eurorack looks so cool, and encourages individualism*. I love it.

I love the cables, panels, knobs, and LEDs so much!

*: Or at least allows it to a great degree

Beyond the endless creativity in creating robot farts, I absolutely love feeling like I'm making music with a spaceship.

And with the Mantis cases, now I can cover the outsides with stickers if I want to! (nothing would stick to the Doepfer case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Beyond the endless creativity in creating robot farts, I absolutely love feeling like I'm making music with a spaceship.

And with the Mantis cases, now I can cover the outsides with stickers if I want to! (nothing would stick to the Doepfer case)

Ok, so to complete the character, I'm imagining a floating desk or table, and a mermaid Shelly style tail, with small solid boosters on the fin. Some kind of inflatable chair, or maybe on the pool steps.