Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, I mean, is it likely to come to Humble Choice because it's being published by Humble Games? I guess there's the HG Collection and maybe they're going to put new stuff there first.
It'll probably be in the collection first. Humble Games don't usually show up in the choice for close to a year past release. there are a couple of exceptions but there's still a lot of humble games that haven't been included in the choice at this point.

They're also only adding like 1 game a month to the collection so they could add Prodeus orrrrr they could add Midnight Fight Express or they could add TemTem, it's a roll of the dice. This month they're adding Moonscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anyone else try the Coven demo? It's pretty sweet!
Cannibalistic bullet time witch burned at the stake resurrects and gets a double barrel and goes to town on them puritanical sumsabitches! :hellyeah::witch:

The gore is especially :discourse: with how you can literally chop mooks in half with an axe or blast half their torso off with the SSG. :gibs:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another game putting an update out for Realms Deep: Hedon Bloodrite put out v2.3.0, which apparently will make saves incompatible, so user beware. It adds "the Chick Critter", and updates some level design, adding "a couple new areas to explore" and texture enhancements to a couple other areas.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Deakul posted:

Cannibalistic bullet time witch burned at the stake resurrects and gets a double barrel and goes to town on them puritanical sumsabitches! :hellyeah::witch:

The gore is especially :discourse: with how you can literally chop mooks in half with an axe or blast half their torso off with the SSG. :gibs:

So: I should hate this? It's shaped like something I would hate. It's ugly as hell, the level design is some of the boxiest poo poo I have ever seen in my life, the shotgun can't reliably one-shot the basic mooks and it just generally feels like a giant pile of jank.

However, the gibs are stupendous, I've got a dash with a cooldown measured in frames, if some rear end in a top hat manages to blindside me for half my health I can literally eat his stupid face to get it back and there's... actual, meaningful enemy diversity? In a roster which is six varieties of "some dude"? One of them throws axes at you and you can shoot the axes out of the air??

Oh, and a magic ability that exists just to make everything look 20% more goth. :drac:

It feels like it's made by someone who has literally no dev experience whatsoever but a really strong theory of fun. I like it!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Deakul posted:

Gave Coven a try, definitely has potential but has some jank that definitely needs to be worked on(it crashed on me for one thing) and the weapons need work(the pistols are all but useless)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is this GZDoom or not, because at first blush I thought it absolutely was.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002610/Delilah/

E: Actually read the description, it isn't. :v:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 18, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mordja posted:

So is this GzDoom or not, because at first blush I thought it absolutely was.

that looks sick

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the day 2 stream of realms deep had even more stuff. i'll probably watch days 2 & 3 during my work week so i can chime in if i hear any good deets on release dates. it seemed more 'devs/streamers showing off gameplay" than "announcements". I saw age of hell and exophobia when briefly tuning in today

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the day 2 stream of realms deep had even more stuff. i'll probably watch days 2 & 3 during my work week so i can chime in if i hear any good deets on release dates. it seemed more 'devs/streamers showing off gameplay" than "announcements". I saw age of hell and exophobia when briefly tuning in today
I'm pretty sure Day 3 is just gonna be a webcam feed from a LAN party in Denmark.

I'll have to sit down and check out the Day 2 feed later.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
Phantom Fury looks hype as gently caress. i don't know why i love the SiN tie-in so much. i'm ready for the Retro Shooter Cinematic Universe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

So is this GZDoom or not, because at first blush I thought it absolutely was.

E: Actually read the description, it isn't. :v:

I watched it yesterday and I don't believe it lol. Maybe he has done his own fork of GZDoom. It was too much like Doom.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The other game that looked interesting for me was this one, Phobolis, a lowfi surreal horror FPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWQcZ45RpU&t=7009s

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I watched it yesterday and I don't believe it lol. Maybe he has done his own fork of GZDoom. It was too much like Doom.
The WIP videos on the author's social medias have elements to them (like a Windows menu at the top of the screen) that leave me to believe that whatever it is, it's probably not GZDoom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

The other game that looked interesting for me was this one, Phobolis, a lowfi surreal horror FPS

Hello PS1 graphics, my love.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

From Amon26, who made the free games All of Our Friends Are Dead and Au Sable. I see.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

cuc posted:

From Amon26, who made the free games All of Our Friends Are Dead and Au Sable. I see.

This person 100% wrote their own wiki entry.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
That Delilah game reminds me very strongly of Strife, it also looks loving sick

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

Completely uncensored. Same old version from 1992.

Also: If you didn't have Spear of Destiny before, it's now packed into the Steam version of Wolf3D. It doesn't include the FormGen "Lost Mission" expansions, but those were terrible so it's no huge loss.

Late on this one, but the 15th map in Return to Danger had a good quote for those mission packs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Played the HYPERVIOLENT demo and now I'm pissed there's yet another game I want badly that I'll have to wait ages for to come out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the reason Delilah looks so much like Doom is architecture, a lot of the outdoor spaces are built like doom levels and generally follow doom's requirements and limitations. I think it's funny that the indoor spaces look like build games though, I think in both cases they just really studied classic levels and did a good job copying the design.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It looks like Delilah started out explicitly as a Doom-clone engine project (some of the early videos actually use Doom textures) so it's not surprising that it looks similar.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

This person 100% wrote their own wiki entry.

Well in my case I ain't joking! I played his games when they came out. They are totally stylistic predecessors to Phobolish.

(Yeah, that's certainly a rap sheet written by the perp themselves.)

cuc fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 18, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm quite enjoying AWOL for what it is, definitely a good effort. It feels a bit like NAM crossed with Operation Body Count, although not as insanity-inducing as that combination sounds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just checked; I have 26 boomer shooters on my wish/watchlist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What are the best boomer shooters that are actually out and not in early access? Dusk, Black Mesa, Prodeus (soon)?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

Ah, I see the mournful versions of poppy songs trend has finally hit the indie scene.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

What are the best boomer shooters that are actually out and not in early access? Dusk, Black Mesa, Prodeus (soon)?

Dusk, Black Mesa err... not sure if the term would apply, given it's a big remaster of a known game, and not a new game.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Amid Evil's pretty snazzy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

I think Fashion Police Squad is pretty good of games released this year in the Wolfy style (though there are a couple of levels people really didn't care for), and then going back a few years: Amid Evil and Dusk are the best Quakers, but also Project Warlock is a very solid Wolf-like with some fantasy weapons and meta progression. While it doesn't have a retro aesthetic, Severed Steel is very slick and very good if you like doing stunts and bullet time. Forgive me Father is a fun though uneven horror romp. Hedon Bloodrite is solid and also massive.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

For me? Dusk, Amid Evil, Prodeus (final release soon), Project Warlock, Ion Fury (chud devs warning), Hedon Bloodrite.

Obvious picks but still in early access (or with just a demo out) are HROT, Dread Templar and Maximum Action. I'm waiting on the final release of Wrath Aeon of Ruins, Project Warlock, Selaco, Fallen Aces, Cultic and Forgive me Father.

Want to pick: Northern Journey, REKKR Sunken Land, Arthurian Legends.

I'm missing stuff there but that's on top of my head.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Forgive Me Father hit 1.0 earlier this year, I've talked about it a few times in the thread. It's got its problems but I liked it.

Oh yeah Northern Journey is a real trip. Crazy one-man project of fighting spiders and monsters in northern europe with quests and weird NPCs while still being a linear game.

There's also Hands of Necromancy but I haven't played it yet. Also Powerslave got a remaster this year on Steam that combines elements of both the Saturn and Playstation versions, so that's worth chasing down.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 18, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chas McGill posted:

Dusk is definitely the best. Black Mesa is also great if that counts as a boomshoot. I have high hopes for Prodeus. Amid Evil is also very good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks, it's just hard to keep track of what's "ready" with the surfeit of interesting looking shooters in the last few years.

I really like the theme of Powerslave/Exhumed. I remember playing it on a demo disc on my PS1 when I was a kid and getting motion sick. Maybe playing it on pc with a decent frame rate will be a better experience...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If in doubt, play DUSK, AMID EVIL, and then just replay Blood with Death Wish as it's loving great

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chas McGill posted:

Thanks, it's just hard to keep track of what's "ready" with the surfeit of interesting looking shooters in the last few years.

I really like the theme of Powerslave/Exhumed. I remember playing it on a demo disc on my PS1 when I was a kid and getting motion sick. Maybe playing it on pc with a decent frame rate will be a better experience...

Definitely grab that one. The new port is fantastic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mostly enjoyed Fashion Police Squad but I'd say get it on sale. It could've been great but I much prefer fighting through levels over arenas with waves and a lot of the combat is the latter. I really dug the weapons and shooting and everything felt good (as did the belt swinging mechanic) but the level design was lacking for me at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Northern Journey is really good but idk if I would call it a boomer shooter in the sense of Dusk or Amid Evil or any of the newer Build/GZDoom shooters. It’s very post-Half-life I guess, the focus isn’t so much on the combat but on puzzling through the various zones and finding connections and opening new paths. The actual combat is just barely on the side of jank where it’s comical rather than infuriating, all your weapons are different flavors of worthless peashooter with incomprehensible flavor text and you’re constantly splashing around in a swamp like a madman trying not to drown/plunge to your doom/get your guts sucked out by horrible bloated insect life.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

So you can have the alpha for this over on itch for a yankee dollar. It's... a fast-paced shooter with some very punch guns and a poo poo-tonne of atmosphere, that plays a lot clumsier than it maybe has to due to the a) enforced 4:3 aspect ratio and appropriately narrow FOV, b) extremely short draw distance, and c) complete lack of a crosshair. It feels like a solidly B+ cult classic that will be transformed into a spectacular all-time hidden gem by its twenty years after the fact Nightdive remaster.

It may be the most accurately retro retro fps ever made.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a good Blood source port at all? I was thinking of setting it up on my Deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there a good Blood source port at all? I was thinking of setting it up on my Deck
Check out Raze. It's like nBlood (which is also good) but uses GZDoom's backend for rendering, mouse handling etc. so it might be a bit smoother controlling. Try both! See which one feels better for you!