Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Somfin posted:

Never let "not understanding a basic verbal metaphor, or the visual one you've just finished sketching" stop you, Tony.

It seems like he understands it just fine?

I know that "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" is the original phrase, but people have used the phrase "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" for ages I think as a humorous turn of phrase to refer to someone who seemed like they were going to succeed, only to fail massively.

Of course Rhino McConnell here is doing a lot more than snatching, he's desperately prying, but that fits into Branco's metaphor. McConnell is (in Branco's mind) purposely trying to cause the Republicans to lose the Senate. The true Republicans are doing their best to keep McConnell from getting that defeat, but he's persistent!

It's a perfectly fine cartoon that makes complete sense. It's Branco, though, so it's hideously ugly, and also stupid because McConnell absolutely wants the Republicans to win, but you can't expect Branco to understand anything, especially the thoughts of those smarter than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

:psyduck: Sexy whisper voice?

Really not a fan of the idea of reducing women down to "eggs".

Any time someone on the right does something violent it's because it was a false flag by the FBI, unlike people on the left who are constantly burning down all the small businesses as we speak!!!

....that shop is selling a shirt that says "Pure Blood" on it. Like, if the whole point of your comic is "The MAGA crowd aren't really Nazis! It's just a government frame job!" then drawing a MAGA store selling "Pure Blood" shirts kind of disproves your whole argument. Also, I guess MAGA people don't really see women as people, but rather as NPCs which according to previous comics are okay to kill.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:barf: I already felt sick before reading this and now it's worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can you please replace this Sinfest nonsense with something tasteful and easy to follow - what I'm saying is, bring back Day by Day

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

steinrokkan posted:

Can you please replace this Sinfest nonsense with something tasteful and easy to follow - what I'm saying is, bring in a tub of sludge

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We're only semi-fascist :wink:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dang I'm all out of skim fascist and the store only stocks full fat fascist.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

By popular demand posted:

full fat fascist.

:911:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
says right there, "eggs." That's what women are.

Tats' self-insert lesbian would rather hang out with people who see her as a literal non-person only suited for incubation than she would be around someone who views all women as people, because she accurately represents TERFs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Really not a fan of the idea of reducing women down to "eggs".

Oh this isn't even new for Tats, his hatred over surrogate parenting was essentially "But women are their eggs they can't just sell them or give them away to other women!" Pretty sure he's never complained that men are being commodified by donating sperm...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Any time someone on the right does something violent it's because it was a false flag by the FBI, unlike people on the left who are constantly burning down all the small businesses as we speak!!!

Also lol at the "All Feds Are Bastards" in the corner when he has constantly demonized protesters for saying ACAB.

Fascism is when you get kicked out of a private business for being a rude rear end in a top hat to other customers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh cool. They glow. gently caress you Ishida.

So for those lucky enough not to be this online and exposed to fascist poo poo, this is a thing that 4chan's infamous /pol/ board made popular. Origin is this quote by the actually-schizophrenic developer of TempleOS, one Terry Davis:

quote:

"The CIA n*****s glow in the dark, you can see them if you're driving. You just run them over, that's what you do."
Within the last five years or so, /pol/ and various fascist hangouts popularized "glowie", a reference to this quote. Also "glown*****" because of course.
So yeah, a natural extension of the idea that all acts by their own people are actually false flags (even though they really, really agree with them) but now with that extra touch only the internet can bring.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ishida: "We must take up arms, bare our fists, and strike out at these monsters and pedophiles and supervillains who are coming for our children, our livelihood, our very souls. If we don't, we will lose everything, and live in a horrible dystopian nightmare! Attack those you suspect, call the police (nevermind the police are gay now), get your gun, for they must be stopped at any and all cost!"
also Ishida: "wtf no one on my side would ever actually do anything violent, why would we ever do that?? Must be feds"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Why am I even surprised that 4chan would gleefully adopt a thing that a very disturbed man coined.
And also why am I surprised that Ishida would insert such a toxic influence into his deranged comic?

It's like I'm actually still hoping for the best or some such.:saddowns:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
He's about a year off from just going full A Wyatt Mann

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Jesus christ there's actually no bottom to how deep into internet fascism this man will go is there

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

It seems like he understands it just fine?

I know that "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" is the original phrase, but people have used the phrase "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" for ages I think as a humorous turn of phrase to refer to someone who seemed like they were going to succeed, only to fail massively.

Of course Rhino McConnell here is doing a lot more than snatching, he's desperately prying, but that fits into Branco's metaphor. McConnell is (in Branco's mind) purposely trying to cause the Republicans to lose the Senate. The true Republicans are doing their best to keep McConnell from getting that defeat, but he's persistent!

It's a perfectly fine cartoon that makes complete sense. It's Branco, though, so it's hideously ugly, and also stupid because McConnell absolutely wants the Republicans to win, but you can't expect Branco to understand anything, especially the thoughts of those smarter than him.

Snatching x from the jaws of y means taking control of x as if x was desirable.

The thing in the Republican party's jaws is defeat and the RINO is trying to remove it, but according to Branco this is a bad thing, because apparently having defeat in your jaw means you're about to win? Also defeat is a rock, which famously do good things to teeth, here meaning victory.

I get that he's just going for an absurdly literal thing but it's a frame full of motion that destroys itself the second you think through any of the potential outcomes.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Are the sunglasses that show you handmaiden prostitutes are liberal NPCs the same as those that show you handmaiden prostitutes are victims installed and managed by patriarchal devil twitter pimp robot zombies? Or are they different glasses

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Pettyfest

Btw, Ishida has been using alt-right terminology for a while now. This one is from July last year:

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 18, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best parody/edit.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Skios posted:

Kellies Nomination: Best parody/edit.

do we count ones from outside the thread? important point of order on the dead internet forum political cartoon awards

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Angepain posted:

do we count ones from outside the thread? important point of order on the dead internet forum political cartoon awards

I believe we do. Pretty sure outsiders have been nominated before.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I, a lesbian, know the true fascists are leftists - A straight man

Honestly expecting in the next few months she has an arc where she realized it was woke leftists who confused her with the evil homo agenda and she was really straight this whole time at this point

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I, a lesbian, know the true fascists are leftists - A straight man

Honestly expecting in the next few months she has an arc where she realized it was woke leftists who confused her with the evil homo agenda and she was really straight this whole time at this point

poo poo, when was the last time her girlfriend was even on screen? It was when they were hanging out at the home of The Literal Devil wasn't it?

Edit: But frankly, I don't think Tats will ever make her straight again. Keeping her as a token lesbian will, in his mind, let him keep using her as an arbiter of who is and isn't a woman.
"See? She's attracted to women, and because she isn't attracted to this Trans character, they clearly aren't a real woman! Also, you are a misogynist if you call her out on it."

the_steve fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 18, 2022

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Angepain posted:

The three and a half years I ran it, we did not. Only thread created ones

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol

"What is happiness?"

"It's being happy"

Thanks. Thanks for that.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"What lurks beneath the emergency budget? – As the UK government trumpets growth and tax cuts, the monster of inflation lies in wait"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Jacinda Ardern 'doesn't see the fuss about the bus' for world leaders to Queen Elizabeth's funeral

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wow. Wow. Just a big picture of Africa eh? On a teapot with a British flag draped over it

:stare:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

the teapot is... falling apart? the world is falling apart? but it already had cracks in it that were... national borders? the tea is britain? the teapot is britain? britain is cracking due to the world? africa is falling apart? the world has the uk in it? the world? tea? britain? queen?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

the_steve posted:

poo poo, when was the last time her girlfriend was even on screen? It was when they were hanging out at the home of The Literal Devil wasn't it?

Edit: But frankly, I don't think Tats will ever make her straight again. Keeping her as a token lesbian will, in his mind, let him keep using her as an arbiter of who is and isn't a woman.
"See? She's attracted to women, and because she isn't attracted to this Trans character, they clearly aren't a real woman! Also, you are a misogynist if you call her out on it."

That's a good point. I've been thinking that 'Nique was going to reject being a lesbian for a while now, but Tats keeping her gay allows him to keep her as a mouthpiece

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She’ll just get angry at the bad gays who try to defend the B,T, and Q portion of the rainbow.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I am in absolute awe of this.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Microplastics posted:

Wow. Wow. Just a big picture of Africa eh? On a teapot with a British flag draped over it

They want us to know that they're not done with us.

Also: Alhazred, what is with starting your posts with a comma lately?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

World Famous W posted:

The three and a half years I ran it, we did not. Only thread created ones

Yep, I'm maintaining this as a policy.

Microplastics posted:

I'm pretty confident it's blaming the british empire for its imperial activities in Africa and around the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

the teapot is... falling apart? the world is falling apart? but it already had cracks in it that were... national borders?
I'm guessing it's going for a "those cracks are bad and weaken the world, who put all these borders there?" thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe it's homage to

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Wait, I thought the lizard people were teaching our kids to be gay in Sinfest? Now they're right-wing and good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

Alhazred's edit appears to be a forum original. The pettyfesters had a similar idea but with a different implementation.