Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

actually fighting the wars is always the most tedious and uninteresting part of a given paradox game, either you have a bigger army and war capacity when it starts or you don't and the rest is annoying micro to keep from losing too many guys. especially in games like Vicky or crusader kings. its a bold decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
also props to the TNO team i guess. All those weird little minigames might be unbalanced and held together by tape, and some writers and designers are clearly more competent than others, it's at least more fun and interesting than playing WW2 for the 71st time against an AI that still doesn't know how to invade another country.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What's the big appeal of Europa Universalis? I've tried it a few times and I just bounce off. I'm a huge fan of CK though so it might be extreme biases at work here.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What's the big appeal of Europa Universalis? I've tried it a few times and I just bounce off. I'm a huge fan of CK though so it might be extreme biases at work here.

it's seeing numbers go up, OP. after god knows how many badly designed DLC's, its barely holding together under the many different, unbalanced, semi-perfunctory mechanics that can easily be abused to turn any OPM into a potential world conqueror

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

the reward you get for spending hours finishing some althist focus path is just more hearts of iron, but this time you're communist instead of fascist.

Yeah the reward of the game you're playing is to play more.

That's 100% the point of HoI, you shouldn't be playing HoI if you don't want that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
EU3 & 4 are the ARPG of Paradox games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EU's problem, at least for me, is that it really feels like you should be able to just blob and build a huge empire (as is your won't in all Paradox games) but where HOI makes this explicit and relatively easy, and Victoria and CK give you reasonable hurdles to getting to do it, EU seems to throw way too many obstacles, even though the subject matter is completely primed for it.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah the reward of the game you're playing is to play more.

That's 100% the point of HoI, you shouldn't be playing HoI if you don't want that.

yeah of course, but, at least to me, it's a fundamental issue there are barely any mechanical or gameplay differences. It doesn't matter if you're Hitler, Victoria Louise, or whatever the other Wilhelmine heir is, but you're still playing Germany and still fighting the same wars, against the same opponents in the exact same way. Paradox probably knows this, and that's why they added all those useless designers: unless you follow the reddit approved optimal guides (making wars even easier than they are already), it's an easy way of giving the player an easier avenue for challenging all their desire for something different. even though it barely makes a difference, allowing the player to design a tanks in this game and mediums in the other, the players will believe that meaningful gameplay differences exist

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oscarthewilde posted:

also props to the TNO team i guess. All those weird little minigames might be unbalanced and held together by tape, and some writers and designers are clearly more competent than others, it's at least more fun and interesting than playing WW2 for the 71st time against an AI that still doesn't know how to invade another country.

paradox's AI and AI code is so bad

actually just their code in general because its only documented by random modders that feel like posting on the respective game wiki

hoi4's expert AI is such a disappointment because all it does it make the AI build better divisions/ships

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

EU's problem, at least for me, is that it really feels like you should be able to just blob and build a huge empire (as is your won't in all Paradox games) but where HOI makes this explicit and relatively easy, and Victoria and CK give you reasonable hurdles to getting to do it, EU seems to throw way too many obstacles, even though the subject matter is completely primed for it.

because of naval ranges and how long it takes to colonize a province, the historical Portuguese Empire is pretty much impossible since you can’t even get to India or around Africa at game start. I remember both of the major mods, VIET and the other one, just give you those trading colonies in India, around China etc. after events fire, which works but it shows how weird they handle these things.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you get to paint big chunks of the world with your nation's color and watch numbers go up. it's sort of 4x-like in that every game starts with a bunch of lovely minor nations that get devoured by major powers and by the end you'll just be fighting against giant ahistorical blob nations to keep gaining territory and making your money number go up faster. if the idea of gaining strength for 300 years so that you can finally compete with the ottoman empire doesn't sound interesting then you won't get much out of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's the most straightforward of the games in its overall designs imo (except Stellaris which is perhaps too much.) HOI is a ToO&E simulator about one specific war, Vicky is about industrialism and the resulting social changes, CK is the most unique in that it's a game about people rather than states. EU4 is a game that's just about getting money and land and turning it into more money and land, but with way more stuff going on than like Civ or something- and unlike Civ more focus on higher scale decisions and diplomacy than micromanaging production. (This is part of why it's a shame they keep adding more and more bells and whistles to it). Stellaris is kinda similar but the lack of historical context and asymmetric starts mean you don't have as much grounding and the worse AI doesn't have a leg up

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hoi4's expert AI is such a disappointment because all it does it make the AI build better divisions/ships

And it's considered devastatingly hard due to it, so you have to keep that in mind when you ask the question of why the ai is so incompetent by default

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the hardest bonus in expert AI is giving germany any production output bonus because they will proceed to build 20,000 fighters by barbarossa which the allied AI will of course, do nothing about

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

because of naval ranges and how long it takes to colonize a province, the historical Portuguese Empire is pretty much impossible since you can’t even get to India or around Africa at game start. I remember both of the major mods, VIET and the other one, just give you those trading colonies in India, around China etc. after events fire, which works but it shows how weird they handle these things.

No, it's just sub-optimal because you're better off colonizing the Americas directly. If anything colonization is too quick and easy in EU4, because Spain usually ends up in New Zealand, BC, and Rwanda by 1700.

oscarthewilde posted:

yeah of course, but, at least to me, it's a fundamental issue there are barely any mechanical or gameplay differences. It doesn't matter if you're Hitler, Victoria Louise, or whatever the other Wilhelmine heir is, but you're still playing Germany and still fighting the same wars, against the same opponents in the exact same way. Paradox probably knows this, and that's why they added all those useless designers: unless you follow the reddit approved optimal guides (making wars even easier than they are already), it's an easy way of giving the player an easier avenue for challenging all their desire for something different. even though it barely makes a difference, allowing the player to design a tanks in this game and mediums in the other, the players will believe that meaningful gameplay differences exist

Paradox leans on Germany to make a world war actually happen in Hoi, and they also design Germany for boring people who like to post their world conquests on reddit. The whacko focus trees like the Edward VII reconquest of the British empire, or the Bulgarian politics simulator spice up the game a lot more.

Focus trees introduce narratives into an otherwise utilitarian game, which can't be underestimated. This is 90% of TNO's appeal for example, but people do enjoy feeling like they're a part of a story even when they're playing other mods, or regular Hoi.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The only HOI game I played was the second one (Darkest Hour) because I liked to organize my armies and assign generals, load them into ships, carry out encirclements, plan production lines, that sort of thing. The whole aesthetic was a pleasing experience for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

oscarthewilde posted:

vicky3's most promising gameplay change is the removal of player-controllable armies and I salute Wiz for having the guts to fundamentally change the Paradox playbook

that's pretty neat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People were pissed when it was announced but did anyone actually like the combat in Victoria 1 and 2?

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t really account for the wars outside of Europe consisting of beating up the Matabele or gunboats and punitive expeditions, no real front lines present.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

combat sucked so hard in Vicky 1 and 2, even building units sucked to do

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh hey next major Warno update is going to to incorporate ambitious amphibious vehicles to all the ones that have those. So rivers and lakes are no longer secure flanks from the Soviets

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Sep 18, 2022

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
every vehicle I use in wargame is ambitious

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Oh hey next major Warno update is going to to incorporate ambitious amphibious vehicles to all the ones that have those. So rivers and lakes are no longer secure flanks from the Soviets

For maximum screeching about unfairness this should also extend to soviet tanks' organic river crossing provisions

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Want some lovely paradox combat? I played the Surviving Mars hostile drone scenario and it sucked balls.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Why the gently caress did they add combat to Surviving Mars? That game absolutely did not need it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was one of the random mid tier ~mysteries~

Mechanically structured like Ceasar 3, where you just build a military building and if you got enough of them (like 2 or 3) you beat the other guy. Just lmfao so half baked afterthought.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder which wargame is gonna be the first to try and tackle Ukraine directly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat mission: Ukraine rules Russia drools eastern hordes mission pack

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

For maximum screeching about unfairness this should also extend to soviet tanks' organic river crossing provisions

It should, though I think the prevailing notion among the fan bases now is Soviet weapons should be nerfed cause look at Ukraine

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Sep 18, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

honestly wonder how Combat Mission: Black Sea stacks up now lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tekopo posted:

honestly wonder how Combat Mission: Black Sea stacks up now lmao

The artillery is pathetic and every mission has more oplots than Ukraine had irl in total.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s like how the first half of a Total War game is getting jumped by every faction around you but the back half is just steamrollering everything else. They really need to change how they do victory conditions because even with great mods I never want to stick with it to the end.

The big problem is, if you just said 'you won' when the game is actually over(which is generally how board games do it), people would complain a lot because, at least in theory, people really want strategy games to feel 'infinite', so yes, you can play out this poorly developed mop up operation if you want to, but it feels wrong.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

The big problem is, if you just said 'you won' when the game is actually over(which is generally how board games do it), people would complain a lot because, at least in theory, people really want strategy games to feel 'infinite', so yes, you can play out this poorly developed mop up operation if you want to, but it feels wrong.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Just do like a lot of games and give a "You win! Quit or continue?" prompt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

It should, though I think the prevailing notion among the fan bases now is Soviet weapons should be nerfed cause look at Ukraine

The forums over at Battlefront have become unreadable, except for my beloved Fortress Italy.

They hosed up Canada so bad for Shock Force 2, but I guess they aren’t going to fix that. Fortress Italy is better but excludes Ortona or the Liri Valley, Battle For Normandy falls victim to the mythologized SS in the Commonwealth sectors. I have some hope for the CW module for Final Blitzkrieg but I don’t know if they’re doing the Scheldt and Rhine Crossings or it will be Yank focussed again.

Red Thunder has so much wasted potential because the campaigns and now the battlepack are all of that Death Ride of the Panzers poo poo and not about… you know the army that won the war.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Sep 18, 2022

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

There's actually an achievment in reaching India in the historical year that the Portuguese did it as a recognition of how hard or rare it is in a regular EU4 game.

It's utterly pointless to do so when you have all of South America at your disposal.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

combat sucked so hard in Vicky 1 and 2, even building units sucked to do

Vicky 2 had a godawful UI and the AI had the usual issues of a strategy game. Conceptually, it was impressive for making technological advances dynamically change the nature of warfare, without changing the base combat model itself. The start of the game is straight-up Napoleonic, Corps converge for one big battle and the loser has to scatter for months. At the end of the game, you're basically playing Hoi with lovely UI, you have to man full frontlines of standardized divisions, rotating them as combat wears them down. In between, there's a stage where defensive technology makes war between European armies extremely difficult, which incentivises imperialism abroad instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Red Thunder has so much wasted potential because the campaigns and now the battlepack are all of that Death Ride of the Panzers poo poo and not about… you know the army that won the war.

Disappointed to learn this but not surprised

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

People keep saying everyone likes a winner, but obviously that's not always true.

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hgvYs2GQ8

trailer for modular missile update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UHQ7qa3fM

this is $20 on steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

Griz has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hmm, interesting but I don't see a lot of high/relativistic speed combat in those vids. Children of a Dead Earth might be a better representation of space combat? Orbital mechanics are tough though so maybe nebulous is actually more fun. interesting title, love the homeworld aesthetic and I don't watch TV so no opinion on the expanse