Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MarcusSA posted:

There is obviously some technical Reason why they didn’t but it’s not a good feeling for the people that might have wanted to upgrade their first version.

It’s kinda lovely

I'm guessing it's largely because there's no feature parity between the two, the move controllers didn't even have analog sticks and the tracking volume was tiny and required you to face the camera. So you might get a poor impression of PSVR2 if you played the old content.

Still lame though, with a niche like VR having content is important and it's a big step backwards to throw away everything they've built up to this point. I do imagine that anything successful from PSVR will probably get a PSVR2 "remaster" that is updated to better take advantage of the new system. Would be nice if they made them cheap or free upgrades for people who already purchased them on the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this is from the PS5 thread.

quote:

PSVR1 games handle tracking in-engine via a library, not via an external API that Sony could make the PSVR2 mimic. So it's either patch games to add PSVR2 support, or emulate every detail of the PSVR1 hardware using PSVR2. Patching means wrangling publishers into doing work with inconsistent results, and emulating PSVR1 would be a tall mountain to climb since PSVR2's tracking works so differently. I'm hoping you're right and that the best games get ports, there are some gems worth saving.

It’s a lot of stuff, the way it works is just way different. The psvr1 tracked the headset and the motion controllers with the camera on the tv, and tracked it via the lights, so if your controller was behind your back and was hidden from the camera it couldn’t track it. But the psvr2 uses inside out tracking and tracks from the headset itself, from several cameras on the headset, so you’ll be able to turn around and play in 360 degrees, unlike the psvr. But yeah, the way it works is just very different from the psvr1, and they’ve basically always said that psvr games won’t be compatible with the psvr2.

It’s kinda a mess lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Why not just make it like every other backwards compatible thing and leave it up to the devs? That way there's still some content out there but they don't have to do anything themselves (except for first party stuff obviously) and they aren't expected to have a full catalogue. Does really seem like it's setting itself up for failure, especially when you can spend another $150 to get a Quest

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Why not just make it like every other backwards compatible thing and leave it up to the devs? That way there's still some content out there but they don't have to do anything themselves (except for first party stuff obviously) and they aren't expected to have a full catalogue. Does really seem like it's setting itself up for failure, especially when you can spend another $150 to get a Quest

I'm sure any dev who wants to do the work can port their game from PSVR1 to PSVR2. They can even sell it again as a new version.

But for most of them that's not going to be great value for their time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's likely "possible" to do, but PSVR1 was a hackjob of an implementation. Hardware support was implemented in the game instead of a OS-level API meaning the game is speaking directly to the PSVR1 hardware rather than going through an easily wrappable intermediary. Differences with input would force use of a DS4 and it's 6DOF tracking (which a lot of PSVR1 games use and wouldn't be easily replaced by a DualSense or the PSVR2 controllers) and all PSVR1 accessories would require a tracking camera and some kind of messy merging of PSVR1/PSVR2 tracking universes.

I'm usually 100% for backwards compatibility but this is one of those cases where it's so impractical as to be not worth it, at least in a technical sense. Would be cool if Sony allowed devs to choose to make PSVR2 versions available to PSVR1 users but given their past history re: backwards compatibility on PS4 I don't see that happening and I'm not sure that's backwards compatibility as much as a free upgrade.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 16, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know they won't but they should offer a free or nominally priced upgrade path for people.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone should check out that HL2 VR mod, it's great. Playing through HL2's barebones VR support on a DK2 was memorable, but wasn't anywhere close to this. The SMG's sights transforms the weapon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

It's likely "possible" to do, but PSVR1 was a hackjob of an implementation. Hardware support was implemented in the game instead of a OS-level API meaning the game is speaking directly to the PSVR1 hardware rather than going through an easily wrappable intermediary. Diffe

Well, that explains a lot.

Also /facepalm

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SCheeseman posted:

Everyone should check out that HL2 VR mod, it's great. Playing through HL2's barebones VR support on a DK2 was memorable, but wasn't anywhere close to this. The SMG's sights transforms the weapon.

It is pretty incredible, I had no idea how much they went out for this mod and am pretty blown away by it. I've enabled the laser sight in the settings to make aiming easier which is a pretty awesome QOL feature but the game translates really well into VR.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well now I gotta

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Eagerly awaiting trip reports for the vehicles

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The default setting keeps the view horizon fixed even if the vehicle is bouncing around, and I didn't have any real issues with it (except that the airboat section somehow feels even longer, and that's not the mod's fault).

You can optionally set it so the view will tilt and roll with the vehicles' movements if you want to try and challenge your vestibular system.

I quite like the additional settings they've added, like the ability to angle the weapon hold pose to suit your preferences, or changing the world scale to feel bigger/smaller.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leathal posted:

Eagerly awaiting trip reports for the vehicles

I'm in the airboat section now and it's great, but also made me queasy after a bit. Controls well, and the gun is shitloads of fun.

Yeah this mod is unreal, so well done. Turn off immersive ladders and turn on laser sight.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I got a Quest 2 a couple of months ago, and it's kinda fun. I've got three games on the oculus itself (Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and I Expect You To Die), but I also plug it into my PC and I've been playing some Microsoft Flightsim, and a few other games that I already had that were VR compatible. I have two gripes though, one of which is really making me angry.

I can't get app sharing to work at all. I have two kids, I want them to be able to play Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and I Expect You To Die, but without affecting my progress, and it's just hosed. Took me about an hour to set them up with Meta accounts (neither have facebook accounts because kids these days don't use old fogey technology). Finally got them set up, created accounts on the quest 2 and none of the three games are visible. Googling tells me that app sharing has been failing for more than a year now, and devs promise that "they're working on it". What the gently caress? This poo poo is seemless on any playstation or xbox, and I've got a gaming box with Steam Big Picture that supports it beautifully as well, but Oculus can't work out how to have an account access a game that is already downloaded and installed on the device already. gently caress you, Meta. Fix this poo poo already.

My other gripe is that I can't work out why No Man's Sky has an unplayable framerate in VR, when everything else works fine (geforce 3080 is powering it, it should be fine). But that's whatever. The first one is really pissing me off.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

My other gripe is that I can't work out why No Man's Sky has an unplayable framerate in VR, when everything else works fine (geforce 3080 is powering it, it should be fine). But that's whatever. The first one is really pissing me off.

I had this, for some reason NMS (and only NMS) on my computer had been automatically set in SteamVR to have an enormous resolution upscale. Maybe worth a look.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Forum Joe posted:

My other gripe is that I can't work out why No Man's Sky has an unplayable framerate in VR, when everything else works fine (geforce 3080 is powering it, it should be fine).

NMS is super finicky in VR. I can max everything out at 4K etc in flatscreen but in VR I have most settings on potato or medium (on a 3070) and it’s still somewhat marginal.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm running it on a 2060S on medium high settings for most things and DLSS and it's not bad. You really gotta mess around with steamVR's resolution to get it comfortable tho.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
It's been weeks.
I'm at a complete loss.

Firewalls completely turned off.
Fresh Windows 10.
Q2 has a fresh factory reset and no software updates pending.

Cable works.
Air Link doesn't - neither the PC nor the Q2 see each other.
Virtual Desktop works.
Q2 can access the wifi without issue.

Help.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Forum Joe posted:

I got a Quest 2 a couple of months ago, and it's kinda fun. I've got three games on the oculus itself (Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and I Expect You To Die), but I also plug it into my PC and I've been playing some Microsoft Flightsim, and a few other games that I already had that were VR compatible. I have two gripes though, one of which is really making me angry.

I can't get app sharing to work at all. I have two kids, I want them to be able to play Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and I Expect You To Die, but without affecting my progress, and it's just hosed. Took me about an hour to set them up with Meta accounts (neither have facebook accounts because kids these days don't use old fogey technology). Finally got them set up, created accounts on the quest 2 and none of the three games are visible. Googling tells me that app sharing has been failing for more than a year now, and devs promise that "they're working on it". What the gently caress? This poo poo is seemless on any playstation or xbox, and I've got a gaming box with Steam Big Picture that supports it beautifully as well, but Oculus can't work out how to have an account access a game that is already downloaded and installed on the device already. gently caress you, Meta. Fix this poo poo already.

Yeah I’m in the same boat with app sharing. Found a few very large step by step “solutions” online but nothing that’s actually worked. Sideloading manages with no issues, other than it seems to actually install two versions of the game so it does create some space issues depending on which model you have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like the new half life 2 VR mod but one thing has me completely heated. It has a left hand mode, but all it appears to do is switch the movement to your right hand and turning to your left.

I want to hold the gun in my left hand with right hand turning and left hand movement dammit.

The curse of the lefty :negative:

I’ll dig into the options and see if I can switch it I guess

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh man, I spend days trying to figure out how to fix nms VR and it was a doozy. For me the solution was as simple as using virtual desktop. Both airlink or link were absolute garbage. The steam vr upscaling down to 130 from 150 percent also worked. there's also some fixes with changing stuff with the ini caused by thread allocation being all hosed up, it's generally just a mess.

On the plus side it made me get virtual desktop which is so much better than the alternatives.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh man, I spend days trying to figure out how to fix nms VR and it was a doozy. For me the solution was as simple as using virtual desktop. Both airlink or link were absolute garbage. The steam vr upscaling down to 130 from 150 percent also worked. there's also some fixes with changing stuff with the ini caused by thread allocation being all hosed up, it's generally just a mess.

On the plus side it made me get virtual desktop which is so much better than the alternatives.

Can you share the settings/steps? I’m having similar issues.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ephori posted:

Can you share the settings/steps? I’m having similar issues.

Unfortunately I don't have the exact steps in my head anymore as I tried literally anything, but this guide, while old has most stuff that I tried. As said the CPU thread ini setup worked the best, make sure to save as read only as it will reset otherwise. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...tm_source=share

Also I highly recommend trying virtual desktop first if you have a good WLAN router, as it was a fire and forget solution for me in the end. You can buy it on steam and return it if you don't like it, same with oculus store (make sure to get it in the headset and not the Webshop, didn't work for some reason)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ll dig into the options and see if I can switch it I guess

I used to be a game QA tester and I would have to constantly remind devs that lefties exist. You might consider honestly just tracking down the devs and emailing/tweeting them if you're having trouble changing the gun handedness.

Some VR games have no setting and you have to find how to manually drop the gun then pick it up with your dominant hand, but it will remember that setting in future sessions. That's an ok compromise sometimes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No gun dropping in HL2 VR

I’m hoping between custom binds, steam controller profiles and maybe tweeting the devs, I can get it

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Didn't realise NMS performance issues were so common. I started playing the tutorial and it was basically ok without any tweaking (on a 3080) but as soon as I got into a ship for the first time the controls were juddering around all over the place. I couldn't really be arsed with trying to optimise it so I just played something else but maybe I'll try some of these suggestions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I recall it’s more CPU bound than GPU bound on most setups.

There is an ini file you can modify to make it use more CPU threads, which seems to help a lot of people.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
playing hl2vr made me realize the game is nearly 20 years old. City 17 not looking so good! :sad:

I think I just gotta get to ravenholm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you still do the trick where you hold a can in front of your face to keep the guards from seeing you

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there anything else like Acron that multiple people can play with one headset? We had a lot of fun with that one tonight

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Takelings is similar although maybe less overall replay value, but we’ve still been having a lot of fun with it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2019620/GERONIMO/

Just noticed this on Steam and I really need it to be good. The lack of decent tactical shooters in VR is a travesty,

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Best bit in HL2vr so far for me has been arriving at a pair of wall chargers sitting next to each other and being able to use both at the same time. The POWER OF VR

But also the chase through the city is surprisingly tense in VR, I've played this section like 4 or 5 times over the year and never felt quite such a panic to the guards trapping you in a corridor just before Alyx shows up to save you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got one of the oculus30 codes so I was wondering where to spend it. I was thinking Ancient Dungeon which released the other day but... while it got a "1.0" release, from what I'm reading on the updates entries on Steam, it seems to me the game still is on EA, with the dev promising meaty updates later, he just arbitrarily launched it on Quest this month. Even more, it doesn't seem to have a lot more of content in comparison with the free beta I tried a year ago in AppLab. More specifically he hasn't fixed the most glaring issue I saw back then: lack of player weapons. There are no classes, there are no spells, and after watching 7-8 videos, it seems there are a total of three (3) weapons: throwing knifes, sword and crossbow. I'm reading on the wiki there are really four weapons, distributed in two sets to choose: throwing knife/sword and crossbow/dagger. How do you make a freaking roguelite dungeon crawler with just that? Where is the spear, claymores, axes and shields? And not having at least 4-5 spells is just, pfft.
The combat also remains a tad too simplistic, in that is at least wiggle-adjacent.
It also costs 20% more on Quest than on Steam, which saps sympathies I could have for what it is a one man project.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 18, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
about to boot up Cyberpunk in VR, or at least, see how it is

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ziasquinn posted:

about to boot up Cyberpunk in VR, or at least, see how it is

I really liked Cyberpunk so for me in VR it was fantastic. I'd imagine it would work the same for anyone else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems meta has a new referral program. I'm still not sure of the details, the summary is you refer an app, the link includes a 25% discount for the title, and you get $5 credit if it's used ( i mean, the person who created the link, me in this case). But I couldn't find how to do it from the web, only from the mobile app, and in my case lots of games I own weren't on the list. I couldn't app refer Beat Saber or Walkbout or many others. Also, it seems it's only available to people of some countries?? Well, here are my links:

Asgard's Wrath
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/1180401875303371/?utm_source=2

Blaston
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2307085352735834/?utm_source=2

Moss
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/1942343732456615/?utm_source=2

PowerBeatsVR
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/4336749139724039/?utm_source=2

Puzzling Places
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/3931148300302917/?utm_source=2

Resident Evil 4
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2637179839719680/?utm_source=2

STRIDE
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/4901911359882668/?utm_source=2

Sairento VR : Untethered
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2299215130112875/?utm_source=2

Smash Drums
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/3630025217090808/?utm_source=2

Virtual Desktop
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2017050365004772/?utm_source=2

And my device referral https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/TurinTurambar/

Mind you, Oculus is better now with sales than a year ago, now they have one with 25-35% discounts every two weeks or so. So it could be the case that buying normally is better (I doubt the discounts stacks??)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 18, 2022

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

KakerMix posted:

I really liked Cyberpunk so for me in VR it was fantastic. I'd imagine it would work the same for anyone else.

Honestly I’m loving it A TON. And I haven’t gotten motion sick AT ALL? It’s wild!!!

I guess the last time I tried smooth locomotion and turning was on PSVR and a my PC with a 1660GTX. The 3080 doesn’t give a gently caress.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Cyberpunk VR have nice object interactions or is it a glorified camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

The ladders in HL2VR are the worst.