Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Tiny Timbs posted:

The mods and admins are seriously loving weird about this stuff happening in the forums and I still can’t quite figure out why

Take a moment to click through some of the forums and read the number of people currently browsing each one in parentheses next to the forum name. Compare the number of people browsing GBS vs every other forum vs. CSPAM. Something a third of all posters on this site are in CSPAM.

EDIT: gently caress, what a terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cspam user: lol lmao crack ping

Gbs user:

He was perma'd. Lol.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cspam user: lol lmao crack ping

Gbs user:

He was perma'd. Lol.

No it’s more like this:

thatfatkid posted:

lol gbs are posting this video as some sort of evidence of nefarious russian war crimes. like wtf is wrong with those stupid cunts that they view war orphans / displaced children being given homes is a bad thing?

https://twitter.com/adnashmyash/status/1570791376769658882

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Over and over again

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any suggestions? lol

https://twitter.com/signmyrocket/status/1570468924273184776?s=46&t=pOw_ZmTgWHGe-mML_jB3Bw

Oh wrong Ukraine thread, but still valid.

I kind of want to group fund raise one that’s say “This is for CPSAM” with lots dick drawings or something witty or funny as opposed to my stuff. lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 18, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ah yes that’s how I got my ban for “carpet bombing” to use their terms. lol.

This ain’t a great example. If I hadn’t been fried between my ears from writing my dissertation and been aware of what was up you’d have eaten a long probe here for trying to gather a posse for cross-forums drama.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNally posted:

This ain’t a great example. If I hadn’t been fried between my ears from writing my dissertation and been aware of what was up you’d have eaten a long probe here for trying to gather a posse for cross-forums drama.

Well I meant the wording more. Look it was after that attack that killed the special needs kid and mom. That’s no an excuse, it just was very raw for me and I was just incredible pissed off about the poo poo they post. But point well taken.

Also what is your dissertation about? Colonial Era America?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well I meant the wording more. Look it was after that attack that killed the special needs kid and mom. That’s no an excuse, it just was very raw for me and I was just incredible pissed off about the poo poo they post. But point well taken.

Also what is your dissertation about? Colonial Era America?

The failure of the Confederacy to achieve any of its foreign policy goals. I wanted to call it “Diplomatic Gong Show” but my advisor said no.

tl;dr Jeff Davis believed so strongly in the power of King Cotton he didn’t bother sending competent people to represent the Confederacy in Europe.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
All American eras are colonial

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raged posted:

I admire the Ukrainian military making it so easy for Russians to surrender. However, I really admire the average Ukrainian soldier for not going totally ape poo poo on captured Russians.

I do think we're going to see an unpleasant confluence when Ukraine's inability to take more POWs meets with the discovery of more mass grave sites.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

tl;dr Jeff Davis believed so strongly in the power of King Cotton he didn’t bother sending competent people to represent the Confederacy in Europe.

MFW my diplomatic corps is both incompetent and well over their heads.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNally posted:

The failure of the Confederacy to achieve any of its foreign policy goals. I wanted to call it “Diplomatic Gong Show” but my advisor said no.

Sweet. I had an old book on the subject called Blue and Gray Diplomacy (or something close to that) and while I didn’t get super far, the “diplomats” did seem very “bless their hearts” as they say in the south. Lol

Ironically you could call it Thank God For British Imperialism (since without Egypt and other newer conquests that king cotton might have been something). Granted the British public hated slavery and they really didn’t have much love for the confederacy, besides that one minor near war, to think they would do that regardless.

Also Jeff Davis during the downfall period had apparently prepared an message offering to abolish slavery if granted immediate diplomatic recognition. Not that would have mattered if sent, just shows how owned they and so much for their vile convictions. lol

Sounds like it will be a really cool read.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

McNally posted:

Were there any competents to be found?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Tiny Timbs posted:

No it’s more like this:

Over and over again

Cool lol 18 hours probation for cheerleading kidnapping kids

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

McNally posted:

There was a terrible book series where the US intercepting UK mail ships in 1861 led to Prince Albert dying of shock and Queen Victoria immediately ordering a raid to punish the US but accidentally razing a CSA town so they call off the civil war and team up against the UK and by book 3 it’s like 1868 & US/Irish tanks are rolling into London. I’m making it sound much better than it is.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was a terrible book series where the US intercepting UK mail ships in 1861 led to Prince Albert dying of shock and Queen Victoria immediately ordering a raid to punish the US but accidentally razing a CSA town so they call off the civil war and team up against the UK and by book 3 it’s like 1868 & US/Irish tanks are rolling into London. I’m making it sound much better than it is.

This sounds so terrible its back to being great

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OctaMurk posted:

Depends on the level of Confederacy jacking off in the book.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

OctaMurk posted:

It’s the Stars & Stripes trilogy by Harry Harrison. I tried to look it up on Goodreads but didn’t get any results until I searched Badreads.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

As I vaguely recall it’s less that and more really hating the UK. I don’t remember how they resolved slavery I think the CSA just agreed to end it immediately and industrialize to quench their lust for Redcoat souls.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/xgueea/the_ukrainian_military_designed_their_own_rifle/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is that a 20mm sniper system?
edit: Apparently it's a 14.5x144mm system. For comparison .50BMG is 12.7x99mm.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A75nSS-kxT8&t=2s

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally posted:

I’d be willing to bet that if you hit up Joe Kassabian, you’d probably end up as a guest on an episode of Lions Led by Donkeys.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do think we're going to see an unpleasant confluence when Ukraine's inability to take more POWs meets with the discovery of more mass grave sites.

They’ve already found like 440 dead civilians in poorly dug graves around Izyum (sic?) Ukrainians must be better people than I am because I can’t imagine treating the Russians with such dignity and restraint knowing they had left my loved ones to rot in the woods.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’d be willing to bet that if you hit up Joe Kassabian, you’d probably end up as a guest on an episode of Lions Led by Donkeys.

If you don't use your states rights joke I will kick you

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Shelby Foote already cornered that market, didn't he?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Merlot Brougham posted:

Shelby Foote already cornered that market, didn't he?

CSA winning the civil war alt hists is like a hobby for old well-to-do southern gentlemen or something. I know two who have self published such books. Despite being nice people who never showed a hint of racism in person, the fact that they spent the effort to write books in which confederate sympathizers are the protagonists immediately makes me intensely suspicious of them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

They’ve already found like 440 dead civilians in poorly dug graves around Izyum (sic?) Ukrainians must be better people than I am because I can’t imagine treating the Russians with such dignity and restraint knowing they had left my loved ones to rot in the woods.

Look, they put numbers on the crosses so those don't count as unmarked graves and are probably all soldiers who died in battle or warcrime murdered by Ukrainians SO A MILLION TIMES WORSE THAN ANYTHING RUSIA HAS DONE WHY DO YOU CARE?!

Actual things I've seen said about it.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

OctaMurk posted:

CSA winning the civil war alt hists is like a hobby for old well-to-do southern gentlemen or something. I know two who have self published such books. Despite being nice people who never showed a hint of racism in person, the fact that they spent the effort to write books in which confederate sympathizers are the protagonists immediately makes me intensely suspicious of them.

I don't think that fascination is necessarily limited to the South, though. Two pioneers of the genre, Ward Moore and MacKinlay Kantor, were from New Jersey and Iowa (I did have to look up where they were from, but I knew they weren't southern). Alternate history is just a thing for some people. Myself, a midwesterner, included apparently.

Edit: To not derail too much, The Netherlands are part of The Five Eyes now, or so 3.1 million viewers may believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woD6RYptp58&t=54s

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 18, 2022

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

McNally posted:

I want very much to read this.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Merlot Brougham posted:

Edit: To not derail too much, The Netherlands are part of The Five Eyes now, or so 3.1 million viewers may believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woD6RYptp58&t=54s

This scenario is invalid because it doesn't incorporate the impact of support from Danaerys' dragons or the use of the One Ring, to say nothing of how Harry Potter's ability to apparate directly into the Kremlin would change the course of a conflict.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Merlot Brougham posted:

Yeah me too, it sounds great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Merlot Brougham posted:

Yes this sounds very interesting.

In addition to the alt-history civil war books I would like to suggest Britannia's First, in which the UK and France get drawn into the civil war, nominally on the side of the CSA, and the Russian Empire on the Union side.

Everyone then gets shithoused by the Union leveraging industry to produce repeaters, proto-machine guns, balloons, and iron clads. It's good poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And to think Johnny Dangerously was a PG-13 movie in 1984.

There's a scene later in the movie where they walk over a freshly mopped floor and this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p4ld-7jI6Y and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8ODmyNTZU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kchama posted:

Look, they put numbers on the crosses so those don't count as unmarked graves and are probably all soldiers who died in battle or warcrime murdered by Ukrainians SO A MILLION TIMES WORSE THAN ANYTHING RUSIA HAS DONE WHY DO YOU CARE?!

Katyn woods was a lawful execution of Polish Aristocrats and the Holodomor was Liberal Western propaganda dontcha know.

What Russia's doing with their "teachers" in occupied Ukraine and by stealing children meets the definition of genocide btw.

Western, Eastern, communist, liberal or aristocrat I would really, really like it if people would stop murdering children.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Merlot Brougham posted:

I’m still waiting on a grade. If it passes and I’ve officially Mastered history I’ll make it available. If not I will crawl under a rock and weep.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It's probably been made clear to the Ukrainians that military aid is in part dependant on not making it politically untenable for the allied nations to provide such aid. One sure way to get the NATO home front to lose their taste for Ukrainian independence is to see footage of Abu Ghraibs and Buchas committed by the blue team.

I'd hope that adhering to the Geneva conventions is seen as a strategic imperative and that this fact is getting drilled into the skulls of every soldier down to the squad level .

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kchama posted:

This wouldn't have happened if Ukraine didn't use unarmed child soldiers. Also, the fact that they keep using these legitimate combatants and stationing them in schools, hospitals, orphanages, and even under beds shows how monstrous the really are.

And before you start saying that they are just normal kids, look up the Hunter Biden iCloud leak and search for references to "biolabs". Dude even had a dvd rip of Captain America on his drive. . . PUT IT TOGETHER SHEEPLE!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Merlot Brougham posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen? Link?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen? Link?

I think the point is it's tankie propaganda.

But The Netherlands might as well be part of the Five Eyes. They speak English better than the Brits and have world class SIGINT.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

psydude posted:

But The Netherlands might as well be part of the Five Eyes. They speak English better than the Brits and have world class SIGINT.

And they are at war with Norway according to Jeremy Clarkson.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Haha what, we just make fun of their dorky bizarro-scandinavian language and get drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

psydude posted:

Yeah the Danes are very good at the spooky stuff. That is true.

I guess I just missed the source because as a rule I tune out tankie horseshit.