Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

Stephen King is an author I've read many books of, and even though I clearly am a fan of his work, there's a constant struggle I have with the way he presents his world building -- he never explains the why of any of it. He'll begin a book with a character revealing that he discovered a time tunnel to a very specific time in his pantry, but he'll never explain why there is a time tunnel there, or really even question it at all. Why is this Buick a door to another world? Why does this kid have weird powers? Why did there need to be a child sewer orgy?

Because of cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because of cocaine

THE POWER OF COCAINE COMPELS THEE!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The trouble is the "why" is always lame as gently caress and disappointing. I'd rather have the mystery, or the unexpected, or the external event. My mind likes being like "what the gently caress? How do we deal with this?" I guess

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Is it important that you know the why? Unless it’s going to move the story forward, there’s isn’t. The creator is trusting you to figure out that piece for yourself. It drove me nuts when the anime movie Redline came out and I saw people going “why do they hold the race on a planet that doesn’t want it and will kill the racers? Just hold it somewhere else.” Well, the movie never says but I can give a couple of reasons why it logically happened. The best answer though is that it’s cool and exciting as heck and that’s what Redline is all about. Redline explains absolutely nothing and it’s better for it because it uses all of its run time on the story it wants to tell and not the story a pedant has to see.

The Black Stones has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Sep 17, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On that same note of overexplaining: I'll never watch any of the 2001 sequels. I hate the fact that they exist, even though I think Clarke wrote them (or some of them). The original 2001 is one of my favorite movies in part because it's so enigmatic; you have to figure out the symbolism for yourself. 2010 and all the subsequent other films explains every boring detail of the mission, why HAL did what he did, and what actually happened with Dave. It's like telling a joke and then explaining why it's funny.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

On that same note of overexplaining: I'll never watch any of the 2001 sequels. I hate the fact that they exist, even though I think Clarke wrote them (or some of them). The original 2001 is one of my favorite movies in part because it's so enigmatic; you have to figure out the symbolism for yourself. 2010 and all the subsequent other films explains every boring detail of the mission, why HAL did what he did, and what actually happened with Dave. It's like telling a joke and then explaining why it's funny.

Some of us actually like diving into the whys and hows and world settings, so I would actually call this one of the best cases. One book that uses the mystery to write an excellent story, because that does make for a better story, and then a book that dives into why it happened for those of us who have that kind of curiosity.

Its not like you have to read the over explaining sequels.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

not the story a pendant has to see.

Yeah they always get hung up on something

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Some of us actually like diving into the whys and hows and world settings, so I would actually call this one of the best cases. One book that uses the mystery to write an excellent story, because that does make for a better story, and then a book that dives into why it happened for those of us who have that kind of curiosity.

Its not like you have to read the over explaining sequels.

It's perfectly fine as long as I can explore my own interpretation of what happened in the original as opposed to having to accept Clarke's explanations in the later novels/movies.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It's perfectly fine as long as I can explore my own interpretation of what happened in the original as opposed to having to accept Clarke's explanations in the later novels/movies.

Headcanon is a thing for a reason.

Let us nerds have our argument fodder tho. How else would we end up getting space cenobites or sex crickets in star wars to laugh at?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The 2001 sequel books are all deliberately mutually contradictory, specifically to avoid giving firm answers

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My peeve is that UK's Disney Plus had almost no complete shows on it that were new. We still only have the first season of Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (hang on holy poo poo where did those other two seasons come from... we now have it all since I last checked. Awesome.) and we were way behind on Owl House and Amphibia although it seems that they are finally almost caught up after years of nothing, as all of Owl house is now up and Amphibia is only missing the last few episodes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My pet peeve is that Disney+ randomly has a some kids films (eg. Moana and Lady and the Tramp) NOT available on the kids profiles, for no discernible reason whatsoever.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Modern movies, and some TV shows, have this weird compulsion with overexplaining poo poo. A great example is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they inserted a really dumb and pointless backstory for Wonka about his dad being a dentist or some bullshit. A lot of NuTrek (not so much SNW, from what I can tell) has also tended to do this by handwaving everything vaguely mysterious in Trek history as "Section 31 did it".

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this but it's really obnoxious.

Related to this, amateur Youtube film critics who get mad about anything that isn't explicitly spelled out for them in minute detail and scream about "plot holes".

The best feeling a movie can leave me with is "what the gently caress did I just watch" plus the feeling that I'm missing something, and if I see it again I might get it on the second go around.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Black Stones posted:

Is it important that you know the why? Unless it’s going to move the story forward, there’s isn’t. The creator is trusting you to figure out that piece for yourself. It drove me nuts when the anime movie Redline came out and I saw people going “why do they hold the race on a planet that doesn’t want it and will kill the racers? Just hold it somewhere else.” Well, the movie never says but I can give a couple of reasons why it logically happened. The best answer though is that it’s cool and exciting as heck and that’s what Redline is all about. Redline explains absolutely nothing and it’s better for it because it uses all of its run time on the story it wants to tell and not the story a pedant has to see.

For me the frustration comes mostly from me setting up expectations that will never be met. If I'm reading a story, and a guy says "Hey there's a time portal in my pantry that sends you back to the 60s," my brain wants to know why the portal is there, who put it there, what science or magic is behind it, and what the goal of its placement is. For many authors, that would be the Mystery, but Stephen King is way more interested in telling an adventure. Once I calibrate my expectations to a Stephen King book, it's fine, but I think it's just a quality of King and the stories he tells that one must accept in order to to enjoy it properly. King focuses on the How or What almost exclusively, only occasionally having his characters ask "Why?"

It does lead to a lot of deus ex machinas and random manifestations that can get rid of a plot issue or add one as needed. Stephen King will create a world but establish zero consistent rules to it, which allows him to manipulate the plot in any way he wants, whenever he needs to. It feels like an author's god mode, and is rather self-indulgent and annoying. I mean, King did cram himself in his own books as a god of the worlds he creates, so it's not like all this is obscured, really.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That sort of thing never bothers me in magical realism stories. Why did he turn into a tree? Doesn’t matter but that’s what happened

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It wouldn't make sense otherwise

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bargearse posted:

Related to this, amateur Youtube film critics who get mad about anything that isn't explicitly spelled out for them in minute detail and scream about "plot holes".

The best feeling a movie can leave me with is "what the gently caress did I just watch" plus the feeling that I'm missing something, and if I see it again I might get it on the second go around.

That's exactly how I felt after watching Eyes Wide Shut for the first time recently. I'm still not completely sure what point(s) Kubrick was trying to make with that film, and that's why I like it so much.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Have sex with your wife, dummy."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

christmas boots posted:

That sort of thing never bothers me in magical realism stories. Why did he turn into a tree? Doesn’t matter but that’s what happened

It also ruins the story. The story isn’t how he turned into the tree, it’s what he does as a tree.

Nerds need for explaining is why we have things overly explaining. Studio idiots watchin nerdy rear end YouTube videos

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Why" is for chumps.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

My pet peeve is that Disney+ randomly has a some kids films (eg. Moana and Lady and the Tramp) NOT available on the kids profiles, for no discernible reason whatsoever.

No idea about Moana but it's usually an issue with older stuff and the reason is "because there's at least one scene that is shockingly racist" (the Siamese cat stuff in Lady and the Tramp etc)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Trying to eat while I have a stuffy nose sucks. I can't taste jack poo poo and I keep getting out of breath.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Perfect Element posted:

Disney+ doesn't have the Aladdin cartoon from the Disney Afternoon, for some reason.

All the other Disney Afternoon ones are there, even the "Proto Disney Afternoon" cartoons like Gummi Bears and Duck Tales.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brawnfire posted:

Trying to eat while I have a stuffy nose sucks. I can't taste jack poo poo and I keep getting out of breath.
Add spiciness

And take a covid test

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My cereal is as spicy as I like it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Bagpipes

Specifically when they're used without giving breathing space to the rest of the music, since that's a goddamned feature of the instrument, because I do love me some bagpipes but drat, does it have to be a solo that goes the whole length of the piece, and also specifically the time years ago I stayed on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh for a week and the dueling bagpipes kicked off at 6 AM every day but I brought that on myself.

Yes, that's a bagpipes sentence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hm. Nope, gonna have to phrase it in a way I can understand

Bagpipes

specifically whan they're usit without givin breathin space tae the rest o the music, syne thon's a goddamnit feature o the instrument, because A dae love me some bagpipes but drat, daes it have tae be a solo thon goes the whole length o the piece, an also specifically the time years ago A stayit on the royal mile i edinburch for a week an the duelin bagpipes kickit aff at 6 am ivery day but A broucht thon on myself.

ay, thon's a bagpipes sentence.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

:golfclap:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
When I''m trying to shop men's pants on line and they have loving Hank Hill assed models. This tells me nothing about how they fit!

It's even more annoying when it's for loose or relaxed fits - you know, pants for people with actual butts and thighs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Radish burps!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really wish Google would ban 'pls review us' prompts from apps, but unfortunately that seems wildly unlikely.
On top of them just being incredibly annoying, some apps (like one of my bank's apps) will just repeatedly spawn it with a bit of cooldown.

I'm incredibly petty, so now I just rate poo poo 1 star if they do it, even though that sometimes means having to do so manually.
(Since some prompts only have the option 'rate(this app 5 stars)', and 'close'.)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SubNat posted:

I really wish Google would ban 'pls review us' prompts from apps, but unfortunately that seems wildly unlikely.
On top of them just being incredibly annoying, some apps (like one of my bank's apps) will just repeatedly spawn it with a bit of cooldown.

I'm incredibly petty, so now I just rate poo poo 1 star if they do it, even though that sometimes means having to do so manually.
(Since some prompts only have the option 'rate(this app 5 stars)', and 'close'.)

I agree, except that the budget app i use that's just barely translated to english asks whether you will 'cooperate to review' and i think that's just too charming

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SubNat posted:

Mmmm hmmmm. And why do I need a bunch of extra software to do things that can be handled by the chrome browser that's on my phone already? That's how I interact with these services on my laptop.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I don't know if this counts as a peeve at this point because I'm furious, but. I'm stuck in traffic in the middle of Colorado on a long 1 lane highway. I was initially here because there was a car crash, but that's been cleared for half an hour. Now I'm here because *two* different idiots got stuck on the same traffic and decided to try and bypass it in the oncoming lane and very predictably caused more accidents. gently caress

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Riatsala posted:

I don't know if this counts as a peeve at this point because I'm furious, but. I'm stuck in traffic in the middle of Colorado on a long 1 lane highway. I was initially here because there was a car crash, but that's been cleared for half an hour. Now I'm here because *two* different idiots got stuck on the same traffic and decided to try and bypass it in the oncoming lane and very predictably caused more accidents. gently caress

Is this 1-25 coming from Colorado Springs lmao

Bc if so oh boy do I know this. I used to live in monument and had to work in castle rock so every day was just hoping that no one decided to crash

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Highway 24 between antero junction and hartsel, but I know that stretch of 25 lol

Not that any part of 25 is good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

how the gently caress do they think that's going to even work :psyduck:

hmm there are infinity cars stopped in the road ahead of me, I will swerve into oncoming traffic and drive alongside these bumper to bumper cars until ??????

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I have a Capital One credit card and almost every time I open the app I get a prompt to get $200 if I refer a friend and they sign up for a card.

I cannot express how much I do not go around suggesting credit cards to people, please stop asking/offering it to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I have a Capital One credit card and almost every time I open the app I get a prompt to get $200 if I refer a friend and they sign up for a card.

I cannot express how much I do not go around suggesting credit cards to people, please stop asking/offering it to me.
Similarly, every time I log into Paypal: "Scan the QR code or get a text to download the new app". There's no "gently caress off and stop asking" button.

Then once I'm logged in, there's a little red "notification" icon in the corner telling me to link a credit card. No way to clear that notification, it's there forever (because I don't want to link a credit card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

how the gently caress do they think that's going to even work :psyduck:

hmm there are infinity cars stopped in the road ahead of me, I will swerve into oncoming traffic and drive alongside these bumper to bumper cars until ??????

I feel like a boomer when I say this but people just aren't as patient while they're driving anymore. I don't remember this sort of idiocy on this scale pre-Covid.

But yeah, it's not even like "I can see the end and I'm more important than everyone else, ergo I'm going to skip this jam on the shoulder". It was a *twelve mile* line of cars, only a mile of which was visible at a time at most, zero shoulder, no possible detours, no exit from the road whatsoever! Just a straight shot right into oncoming traffic and a line of stopped cars that wouldn't let you merge back in even if they could.