Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brave was doing some shady stuff with their BAT tokens where they said they were giving the money to sites and creators but it was an opt-out (opt-in?) system where they earned money on people’s behalf whether they wanted to or not. They also had an interesting “bug” where they “accidentally” injected their own affiliate code when someone signed up for the Binance crypto exchange.

As far as the browser tech itself it seems perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Inner Light posted:

I’m gonna have to switch from Chrome to Firefox as my main on my PC because word is that a Chromium change happening in 2023 will permanently break ublock origin

June 2023

There is a slightly less powerful version available that supports manifest v3.

Brave had said they will support it until Google removes it from Chromium. Wonder if they'll do that as soon as June 2023 since they clearly have an interest in less powerful ad blockers

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

101 posted:

I also love Firefox, but Brave is my Chromium browser of choice. It's really easy to disable the crypto stuff, and it's pretty fast and stable.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with Brave, afaict. Been using it for years and hardly ever had incidents with capitol police.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It will be Edge's time to shine.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teagone posted:

It will be Edge's time to shine.

Did they go through with that super scummy buy now, pay later stuff?

Also Edge is following the Chrome rollout exactly, so no

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh gently caress, nevermind then. Lmao.

Also I just learned today there's an iCloud drive app for Windows. I've been using iCloud.com to upload poo poo lmao.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i switched to firefox on my pc years ago, i think it may have even been pre-pandemic. i keep chrome installed just in case, but haven't actually run into a case yet where a site worked in chrome but not firefox. i use safari on my macbook, and i have run into the occasional site that doesn't load that i need to open chrome for, but even that is super rare now.

haven't tried changing the browser on my phone though. is it still the case that every browser on the iphone is required to just be a UI wrapper around the built-in safari renderer, or have they finally relaxed that?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

teagone posted:

Oh gently caress, nevermind then. Lmao.

Also I just learned today there's an iCloud drive app for Windows. I've been using iCloud.com to upload poo poo lmao.

If I'm not mistaken logging out of it means you'll lose all your local files. So it's like having the cloud on your computer. :smithcloud:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If I'm not mistaken logging out of it means you'll lose all your local files. So it's like having the cloud on your computer. :smithcloud:

That makes sense to me though? After uploading stuff to my iCloud drive through the website I'd delete the local copy on my PC anyways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i switched to firefox on my pc years ago, i think it may have even been pre-pandemic. i keep chrome installed just in case, but haven't actually run into a case yet where a site worked in chrome but not firefox. i use safari on my macbook, and i have run into the occasional site that doesn't load that i need to open chrome for, but even that is super rare now.

haven't tried changing the browser on my phone though. is it still the case that every browser on the iphone is required to just be a UI wrapper around the built-in safari renderer, or have they finally relaxed that?

I can't see video embeds on the forums here, like the one posted by Mister Facetious in the bird conversation or the one a few pages back showing the weird extra spin the timer on the island has.

I assume that's probably Firefox's fault, but it's minor and I can usually tell from context a video is missing and get the URL by quoting the post.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i just checked, and that animation on the last page doesn't show up for me in firefox or chrome in windows, so i don't think it's a firefox-specific issue. it just shows a volume icon with no indication there's an image. it plays on my iphone and in safari on mac, though. the extension is ".mov" so it's probably an apple format.

i have seen other issues with embeds working inconsistently across mobile and desktop, and firefox and chrome. usually it's related to the awful scourge known as .webp

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aphrodite posted:

I can't see video embeds on the forums here, like the one posted by Mister Facetious in the bird conversation or the one a few pages back showing the weird extra spin the timer on the island has.

I assume that's probably Firefox's fault, but it's minor and I can usually tell from context a video is missing and get the URL by quoting the post.

Gimme a sec I'll upload it to YouTube

https://youtu.be/fzMEg9ynmiU

I don't know how to make it public on iPhone, so it's unlisted i think

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 19, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, that's still the case and I think Safari is still the only one to support extensions (don't actually know if it's technically possible for the third-party ones to even interface with WebKit enough to support their own extensions)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/18/iphone-14-pro-camera-module-shaking-and-rattling/

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max has a major camera bug in 3rd party applications like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat. Apparently the OIS freaks the gently caress out and goes into overdrive with physical shaking and loud buzzing noises because the apps aren't optimized to work with the new OIS in the 14 Pros. However some claim it should've been fixed at the OS level and Apple is to blame. Whatever the cause, Apple is apparently giving out free new devices because while it may or may not be a hardware issue, it can cause permanent hardware damage to the camera.

Some on Reddit say they didn't notice the problem until opening a 3rd party app, some say it happens in the default Camera app as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wku5Eff4XU

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1570913076320567299

I didn't have the issue using the default camera app or on Telegram using my 14 Pro Max. I don't have TikTok or Snapchat and I don't post on Instagram.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Detective No. 27 posted:

Had to go back to the Apple Store today to get a smaller band for my watch. I thought I needed a larger one, but it ended up too big. I got there early and waited in the line before the store opened and this boomer behind me started talking to me. He needed a new charger cable. He then told me about how his wife forgot her phone on vacation a couple years ago and got his accounts compromised. As soon as he mentioned that Brave browser, I just knew it would only be a matter of time until he mentioned Hilary's emails. Took like five minutes.

I do love how boomers come up with the craziest theories for how their accounts were compromised. My dad swears up and down that someone he knows had their phone "scraped" which somehow gave the baddies a fully copy of his phone from which they extracted all his login info and started sending scam messages to his phone book.

Definitely gotta be sophisticated hackers deploying state-agency level tools in rural SC to steal $450 from Cletus, that's the only possible explanation. Definitely wasn't him setting up an account at MAGAmart.shorpify.notascam.win with the same username/password he uses everywhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I do love how boomers come up with the craziest theories for how their accounts were compromised. My dad swears up and down that someone he knows had their phone "scraped" which somehow gave the baddies a fully copy of his phone from which they extracted all his login info and started sending scam messages to his phone book.

Definitely gotta be sophisticated hackers deploying state-agency level tools in rural SC to steal $450 from Cletus, that's the only possible explanation. Definitely wasn't him setting up an account at MAGAmart.shorpify.notascam.win with the same username/password he uses everywhere.

They clicked a link that they got texted. It's always a phishing link cause they can't tell the difference between legit and bullshit they don't automatically assume any text that isn't a personal contact or the Amazon/pizza guy is bullshit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Facetious posted:

They clicked a link that they got texted. It's always a phishing link cause they can't tell the difference between legit and bullshit they don't automatically assume any text that isn't a personal contact or the Amazon/pizza guy is bullshit.

That's not true.

Sometimes they tell the contents of a "do not ever give out this code:" text to the nice man from Microsoft who called about their computer leaking IPs everywhere.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
there's no way that camera shaking problem is a 3rd party app's fault like the buzzfeed article suggests, unless they're using hidden APIs or something. whatever camera APIs/SDK apple exposes should not be able to rattle the camera hardware to the point that damage is (probably) occurring. even if the app had some way to command the OIS mechanism to rapidly sweep, there should be something rate limiting it behind the scenes to prevent it from doing whatever the hell it's doing in those videos.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

I’m gonna have to switch from Chrome to Firefox as my main on my PC because word is that a Chromium change happening in 2023 will permanently break ublock origin

There's word Opera might keep the older ad-blocker APIs around. You never know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

there's no way that camera shaking problem is a 3rd party app's fault like the buzzfeed article suggests, unless they're using hidden APIs or something. whatever camera APIs/SDK apple exposes should not be able to rattle the camera hardware to the point that damage is (probably) occurring. even if the app had some way to command the OIS mechanism to rapidly sweep, there should be something rate limiting it behind the scenes to prevent it from doing whatever the hell it's doing in those videos.

3rd party apps don't even get access to the sensor shift.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/18/iphone-14-pro-camera-module-shaking-and-rattling/

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max has a major camera bug in 3rd party applications like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat. Apparently the OIS freaks the gently caress out and goes into overdrive with physical shaking and loud buzzing noises because the apps aren't optimized to work with the new OIS in the 14 Pros. However some claim it should've been fixed at the OS level and Apple is to blame. Whatever the cause, Apple is apparently giving out free new devices because while it may or may not be a hardware issue, it can cause permanent hardware damage to the camera.

Some on Reddit say they didn't notice the problem until opening a 3rd party app, some say it happens in the default Camera app as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wku5Eff4XU

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1570913076320567299

I didn't have the issue using the default camera app or on Telegram using my 14 Pro Max. I don't have TikTok or Snapchat and I don't post on Instagram.

I had it happen once today in Snapchat, force closed it and haven't had it happen since

As far as I can tell it didn't do any permanent damage?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Has anyone said cameragate yet?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple are screwing us again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Has anyone said cameragate yet?

Oisgate is what I saw someone use on Twitter :v

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
instagate

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tested my 14 Pro Max with instagram and it made a tick noise once and that was it. It’s easy to reproduce too.

I’m calling it this from now on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't fix the camera, just delete instagram.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xzzy posted:

Same with Snapchat. I deleted both several years ago and I'm happier without them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sir you are in for an Apple Store visit!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xzzy posted:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need more space to upgrade to iOS 16. The photos app is taking 5 GB. But everything is backed up to iCloud. Is this 5GB of thumbnails.

If I delete photos and redownload it after the upgrade what will I lose? All my photos? Local “2017 in review”s?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hed posted:

I need more space to upgrade to iOS 16. The photos app is taking 5 GB. But everything is backed up to iCloud. Is this 5GB of thumbnails.

If I delete photos and redownload it after the upgrade what will I lose? All my photos? Local “2017 in review”s?

Do you have your phone set to download and keep the originals in the Photos app?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

No it’s set to “Optimize iPhone Storage”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The only good thing about Brave on iOS is that you can add YouTube videos to the “Brave Playlist” thing which then lets you play videos with the screen off. This is immensely useful for me because a lot of content I “watch” on YouTube apparently would be better off as just audio podcasts and this kinda lets me do that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I reaaaaally hate the new video player. The interface covers the video. And I don’t know what’s going on but when you tap the screen in a certain way it just starts jumping forward in a kinda erratic way. It’s nothing like YouTube’s interface for instance and it gives you no clue what you’re doing to cause the thing that’s happening.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I reaaaaally hate the new video player. The interface covers the video. And I don’t know what’s going on but when you tap the screen in a certain way it just starts jumping forward in a kinda erratic way. It’s nothing like YouTube’s interface for instance and it gives you no clue what you’re doing to cause the thing that’s happening.
its this weird momentum based "drag to scrub" feature that seemingly activates anywhere on the screen, not the playback bar at the bottom.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Not exactly the same, but I find myself accidentally scrubbing on the Lock Screen now playing widget when I’m trying to unlock the phone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is anyone concerned about burn in with the Always On display? Samsung introduced the feature with the Galaxy S8 and I used it and could see burn in from the clock and to my shame the Awful app borders. But that was a few years ago, display tech improves pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is anyone concerned about burn in with the Always On display? Samsung introduced the feature with the Galaxy S8 and I used it and could see burn in from the clock and to my shame the Awful app borders. But that was a few years ago, display tech improves pretty fast.

Beside the early burn-in with the first OLED iPhones i don't have heard much about that issue recently, i think that whatever mitigation has been used to keep the lower slider bar from being burned will hopefully be used for the lock screen clock.