Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

French Accent posted:

Metal: Hellsinger

A bit on the short side but it was intense and had me on the edge of my seat at times. Story was forgettable but I was there for the gameplay and the music, which were pretty good.

i forgot this was coming out until yesterday and i'm fully prepared for the game i would've dreamed up at 16 to whip an insane amount of rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

welcome posted:

Dragon Warrior VII

Going to take me a while to come down but it feels like it was a hell of a lot better than 6, despite being basically 6 but more so. Definitely the meanest game in the series (3 hours before first slime, surprise departures, Dharma, hell worm town loop, making you climb the Great Lighthouse four freaking times, beginning of disc 2 in general), but all of that crap feels like it was a hundred years ago, because it was. This game is long. I think I love it. 5 stars

I was really blown away that I liked the original more than the remake. It's definitely the longest game I've ever played that felt way, way shorter. The structure is so cool and let them tell so many stories that balanced so many different moods and tones.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

DQ7 definitely had a Saturday Morning Cartoon feel to it where every new fragment feels a lot like "What's going to happen on this episode?"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Dead Space 3 (Co-Op. Hard mode.): i was prepared for this to be like a 6 hour long game and it turned out to be a 17 hour monstrosity. it was a blur because it feels so samey, but when i think back on it they really tried, theres a lot of scenarios and set pieces and moments and unique poo poo, but the experience of having played this feels like a weird continuum of blandness. It was not bad, far from it, but it certainly wasnt good, and the story is a loving disaster with a stupid rear end love triangle thrown in the middle, and due to EA's meddling a lot of poo poo didnt make the cut, they added microtransactions, and to replace an old concept for the coop where Isaac would have imagined a person, they put in Sgt. John Carver. They do some cool things where one player sees things the other doesnt, and theres even a genuinely fantastic gag in one of the side missions involving this hallucination gimmick, but they dont really get to do much with it due to budget and time restraints. The crafting system lets you make hysterically overpowered poo poo, but its a bit too fiddly and at the same time, once you power up a weapon you dont really have any incentive to branch out, and even then the game was piss easy, with us either dying to set piece things due to latency, or blindsided by a dude two shotting you. Hell, my inventory at the end of the game was 138 medium health packs.

overall, a sad gravestone to a studio and franchise that were so promising. id probably rate this a 5 or a 6 if i were numbering it. What a goddamn shame

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

death's door. great action game with heavy zelda influence, short and sweet

gradually upgrading the player to be a little stronger and faster is kinda uninspired and feels as lame as it sounds, but this doesnt ruin how good it is. Tight combat, awesome art, and overall really good design. in a lot of ways it felt like hyperlight drifter 2 lol and the entire second area is an homage to the east zone in that. if its sitting there on gamepass or on sale def try it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

xenoblade chronicles 3. what a fuckin game. i'm really gonna miss this crazy series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Heartland (7 levels for Eternity Engine, 2021. UV Pistol Start). 4/5. skillsaw does it again...the level design, encounters, custom weapons, music, all of it is fuckin incredible. only reasons its not 5/5: i think some of the custom monsters they included look stupid, namely the cyber barons, but they were fun to fight. the gross alien things that barf green looked cool but were annoying to fight. a land of contrasts. also, map06 and map07 were just too drat long, some of the high points just blur together in my mind, whereas the first 5 levels were all picture perfect. hell of a set.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Dead Space 3 (Co-Op. Hard mode.): i was prepared for this to be like a 6 hour long game and it turned out to be a 17 hour monstrosity. it was a blur because it feels so samey, but when i think back on it they really tried, theres a lot of scenarios and set pieces and moments and unique poo poo, but the experience of having played this feels like a weird continuum of blandness. It was not bad, far from it, but it certainly wasnt good, and the story is a loving disaster with a stupid rear end love triangle thrown in the middle, and due to EA's meddling a lot of poo poo didnt make the cut, they added microtransactions, and to replace an old concept for the coop where Isaac would have imagined a person, they put in Sgt. John Carver. They do some cool things where one player sees things the other doesnt, and theres even a genuinely fantastic gag in one of the side missions involving this hallucination gimmick, but they dont really get to do much with it due to budget and time restraints. The crafting system lets you make hysterically overpowered poo poo, but its a bit too fiddly and at the same time, once you power up a weapon you dont really have any incentive to branch out, and even then the game was piss easy, with us either dying to set piece things due to latency, or blindsided by a dude two shotting you. Hell, my inventory at the end of the game was 138 medium health packs.

overall, a sad gravestone to a studio and franchise that were so promising. id probably rate this a 5 or a 6 if i were numbering it. What a goddamn shame

I only played the first game before getting 3 super cheap to play with a friend. maybe got a couple of hours in and felt it was insanely bland and had none of the atmosphere that made the original so good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

it sucks so much. gently caress EA. the first 2 games own a lot

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Betrayal at Club Low - a really fun dice rolling game where you have to rescue a guy from a night club. It's a little custom d&d campaign that's definitely worth the 8 bucks it costs. It has 11 endings so I'll go back and replay it sometime in the future with the unlocked difficulty modifiers. My 1st playthrough took about 3 1/2 hrs and it does want you to do multiple playthrough so I'm sure you can blow through it in an hour or so with a gameplan in mind.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mario sunshine. full of bizarre ideas and pretty high difficulty levels for 3d mario. good and weird.

Im a chuckster!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Plebian Parasite posted:

Splatoon 3 - Story mode (102%)

Congrats

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I had some annoyances--some of this may have just been bad luck but all the % numbers like chance to hit, crit chance etc felt off in a weird way (moreso than most games that show those %), character growth felt kind of hosed (I think over half of my character's level-ups ended up only giving them one stat increase, a result so bad that the characters have unique dialogue to complain about it), and they liked missions where you trudge through difficult terrain while enemies get infinitely summoned at you a little too much. But other than that I liked it a lot, a lot of the characters were cool, the inventory/equipment system was overhauled entirely compared to other Fire Emblems for the better, and I liked that everything felt smaller-scale, maps were smaller, terrain was more important, and enemies felt a little tougher than other FEs so it felt like it leaned a little harder on the RPG aspects. I also liked that for the most part you can bring your whole army along to story battles instead of benching most of them like the other FEs I've played. Also had the best art out of any in the series that I've played yet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

extremebuff posted:

it sucks so much. gently caress EA. the first 2 games own a lot

it does a bunch of stuff wrong that isnt EA's fault, such as the crafting system, but i imagine if they hadnt had their budget and available dev time slashed they could have figured something out.
but whats weird is that, it has such imaginative ideas and it really tries, it does semi open structure in one part, which they wanted to base ds4 on, side missions, the asymmetrical hallucinations, really varied set pieces like rappeling, kinesis puzzles, and one of the best set pieces of the franchise where you fight around a giant drill thats malfunctioning. But at the same time its so repetitive, and i think part of that is never making you really need to use different weapons, which the universal ammo also reinforces. its so baffling and frustrating, theres a lot of really cool ideas that are wasted here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember kinda liking the ship graveyard just because that's a cool environment, but so much of the ice planet is a waste when it could have been a really, really good setting for a space horror game. there's basically no tension because you have so many resources throughout the game where in DS1 it was a big deal when you had to use a single medium health pack

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
for ds3 originally they wanted to make The Thing but dead space, which considering john carpenter wanted to make a dead space movie, isnt far fetched at all

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Grandia

Cute game, definitely too long and grindy but still very cute.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
13. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
14. Deadly Premonition 2
15. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
16. Link Between Worlds
17. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
18. Halo Wars Definitive Edition

It's not a Brood War or even a Tiberian Sun but I bought it again for $5 for dumb fun and maybe some PC modding. Bring the ODST rain.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

16. Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Don't know if you heard yet, but this game is pretty good.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

18. Deep Fear

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Mega Man 7 - mega man is hueg and the last boss is really hard, as people said.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Splatoon 3 single player

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

herculon posted:

Splatoon 3 single player

I'm yawning until I hear what percentage

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm yawning until I hear what percentage

103%, obviously. Are people claiming they beat it with a lower percentage?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
11. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
12. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
14. Super Mario RPG
15. Resident Evil 4

Haven’t played this in probably ten years. Every boss killed me like five times and I died a shitload at the beginning trying to kill everyone before the bell rings.

The remake is gonna be cool but absolutely not necessary, game is basically perfect as is. More games need to let you stagger with bullets to get a melee prompt, insanely good game feel.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 19, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey, it’s that dog.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hey, it’s that dog.

now's not the time

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

it does a bunch of stuff wrong that isnt EA's fault, such as the crafting system, but i imagine if they hadnt had their budget and available dev time slashed they could have figured something out.
but whats weird is that, it has such imaginative ideas and it really tries, it does semi open structure in one part, which they wanted to base ds4 on, side missions, the asymmetrical hallucinations, really varied set pieces like rappeling, kinesis puzzles, and one of the best set pieces of the franchise where you fight around a giant drill thats malfunctioning. But at the same time its so repetitive, and i think part of that is never making you really need to use different weapons, which the universal ammo also reinforces. its so baffling and frustrating, theres a lot of really cool ideas that are wasted here.

The asymmetrical hallucinations were really cool ideas. I still remember playing that and walking into a room full of like weird toys and talking to my buddy about it and he thought i was just lying and loving with him.

I wonder if part of the reason the crafting system was so jacked up was because they offered microtransactions to buy crafting mats. RIP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the core idea of "you're an engineer so it'd be cool if you assembled and modified your own weapons" isn't a bad one and i could see a version of the game where it worked well, but it ended up with you making a high-powered gun that made the combat super easy and not needing to engage with the system at all after that

if they wanted to encourage microtransactions they did a terrible job with it because it was really easy to end up overpowered with a ton of resources to spare

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bowser's fury. cute pack of extra 3dworld levels with some fun new stuff. i want mario odyssey/3dworld 2

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doom SNES by Williams.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

21. Revolution! (32-level megaWAD for Doom II, 2001, Switch version) 3/5. Lots of pretty simple layouts with real-world theming, nothing really stuck out as bad, but it was pretty easy and leaned more on memorable visuals than tight design. pretty cool that bethesda releases free packs like this so i can play Doom WADs on my commute. going to continue chipping away at everything theyve added except maybe Back to Saturn X bc it looks fairly tedious and too hard to play on Swinch,. i never want to play another icon of sin map again.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Doom SNES by Williams.

sick

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

22. DOOM (2016). better than i remembered it being, although i do wish the secrets had a little more to them...some bonus fights or rooms would have been cooler than just a tiny side hallway with a Collectible in it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deep Fear

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Deep Fear

It sucks that the game wasn't very good because being trapped in a claustrophobic underwater base where you might asphyxiate and monsters get stronger in hypoxic conditions is a cool horror idea. Most of its problems would be fixed by default if it were made today, like the long loading times, bad controls and fixed camera

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh yeah.

38) Deep Fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
31. de Blob (All Challenges, All Landmarks, All Transform Engines, All Gold Medals)