Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
yeah just tried the fox, ended up with a bunch of synergy on the meteor and it was ridiculous. Felt like a better version of grenade dog

Fishstick posted:

Having used the hexagon just now, yes, yes it is. Turns the most annoying enemy into a super saiyan boost https://i.imgur.com/ENO0x9f.mp4
:eyepop: dang I was coming in here to show off my 2m+ highest damage

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Fox is kind of ridiculous.

Even on R8 any vaguely E-focused build just deletes everything except the most shielded of goobers, and the spiritual blessing that gives 450% damage also conveniently constantly recharges your energy while walking, which synergizes super good with her max shield and energy change talents.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Finally. God.

Earlier I gave the updated spore-planting Gemini inscription a shot on Tao, and it felt pretty effective? I had a Rainbow in slot one and an enhanced Porcupine with a very high number of projectiles in slot two. No real need to aim, just run around in the general vicinity of enemies while the Rainbow auto-tracks them and distributes load after load of killer spores. Doesn't compare to the ridiculousness that is Li, but it is entertaining all the same.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

Finally. God.

Congrats, I will be next, as I'm at 49/50. In fact right now I tried to get it, but I died minutes ago in desert thanks to this fat fucker (I didn't have any shock weapon to deplete his shield, nor any speed/dash buff to outrun him, nor snow boots :( )

edit 2:
Finally, after 96 hours of playing the game

And drat, while it's true the Fox can do a fuckton of damage, she is a glass cannon. In solo where you can't be revived easily, you have to be super aware of everything.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 4, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Feels good to break the game... Aura of Venom allows to unload the entire magazine super fast with the secondary button, right? Well, with the appropriate Gemini perk, it shared magazine size with the other weapon (an AR with a pair of increased magazine perks). So instead of 8, suddenly it has 84 size magazine. Then add the Genesis scroll to make it 20% bigger (it doesn't work exactly like that but in practical terms, it's the net result) and Against the Flow and Bullet Bank scrolls to have infinite ammo, and you have a winner. I even only leveled it up to 26 because I didn't notice the interaction with the scrolls until the end of Stage 3.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It also works with Deft Hands, less useful against bosses but clears out mobs like it was nothing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Did another few runs and Monkey is even more busted on Reincarnation lol. I also tested out the synergy mode and it's straight up even more power lol.

There are various synergy combos that all require 3 of a thing to be in your inventory to be active typically 3 occult scrolls, sometimes a character specific ascension that is required + 2 occult scrolls of some kind. In addition there's some weapon type specific synergies that are only active when you have that weapon type out + the occult scrolls to activate it.

There's some boring stat buffs but a lot of the weapon specific stuff looks kinda interesting. I think it's a neat thing to work towards, and will be more helpful on high Reincarnation difficulty.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Got screwed out of a run by an instant game ender for no reason, it seems? I had record running and it transitions to game over while I have full health

https://i.imgur.com/03WiinM.mp4

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm guessing there's some background process doing the damage and health calculations that decided you were at 0 health for an instant during that dip right before your health refills, but that didn't get properly sent to the process that runs the UI.

That's pure speculation, of course, but I've seen a streamer die in the same way under similar circumstances.

I don't know what kind of bug submission process these devs have, but since you have a video, it couldn't hurt to pass it along.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fishstick posted:

Got screwed out of a run by an instant game ender for no reason, it seems? I had record running and it transitions to game over while I have full health

Yeah that looks like some sort of bug, usually it'll tell you what kills you. The only time I've seen seething like that is when I failed one of the cube protect missions

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fox is capital B Busted. What an absolutely dumb character lol, probably the only thing holding her back is to do extreme damage early you're gonna need to ignore defensive options. Even then though if everything is dead nothing can hurt you.

Fishstick posted:

This looks like you either had a brief frame hitch/ latency hiccup and a damage tick full killed you after the initial damage hit proc'd the 1 shot protection talent. If it was solo and not multiplayer I'd have been more likely to call it a bug, but latency in the mix makes it feel like it's far more likely to have been the issue.

Alternatively that Dog was the host and decided to quit out of the run right at that particular second. This of course doesn't makes sense you were the host though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fox is just not fun to play with friends because you can pretty much pick any ascensions at random and you'll still delete entire levels without having to use your gun, leaving your coop buddies standing around doing nothing. Its not fun for anyone even on R8.

I do really like the new spiritual link stuff though, getting elemental conversion on non-elemental weapons for dudes like Prince is pretty sweet.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

Fox is capital B Busted. What an absolutely dumb character lol, probably the only thing holding her back is to do extreme damage early you're gonna need to ignore defensive options. Even then though if everything is dead nothing can hurt you.

Fishstick posted:

Fox is just not fun to play with friends because you can pretty much pick any ascensions at random and you'll still delete entire levels without having to use your gun, leaving your coop buddies standing around doing nothing. Its not fun for anyone even on R8.

I'd argue the main thing holding her back is in fact that she's squishy, which matters way less in multiplayer than it does solo. She'll end up doing extreme damage anyway, so I've actually been prioritizing defensive picks over damage (within reason ofc), with the exception of Flare Calling and Conflagration as goblet picks since they seem to be big in getting her mojo going.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I generally make use of occult scrolls to cover mid/late defensive needs, imo it's more important to be able to murderize things asap as soon as you see them and occult scrolls are generally enough to cover that. I mostly play solo and the health scaling on enemies is enough it's so stupidly easy to stay ahead of the damage curve as Fox that you just need to shore up with the occasional defensive item and keep your respect for enemies with lightning damage.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

Fox is less powerful than any number of gun builds I've seen at R8, as even if it does more damage, Fox has cast time and travel time, things are dead before the fireball hits.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I love the perk to get the special attributes of the enhanced enemies:

Also, since I started playing again (with the DLC) I'm noticing several times where the enemies pathfinding fail and they get stuck in each other. I don't remember that 7 months ago.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Dual kunai dog is pretty fun now that they can finally be fired on full auto, and there are a few fun scroll interactions with them too. They do seem to chew through ammo like there's no tomorrow, though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Aquila posted:

Fox is less powerful than any number of gun builds I've seen at R8, as even if it does more damage, Fox has cast time and travel time, things are dead before the fireball hits.

Yeah, having played more she's def less busted than I thought. Fox really benefits from the one spiritual blessing for Spirit Fire and if you don't have it you don't spike as early and get ahead of the curve as much. Still very strong out of the box imo, scales less well than I thought.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Had a pretty good with OP monkey today.

I don't think in any world could this have gone any better, literally the perfect scroll acquisition with all the right ascensions, the stars aligned just right and turns out, a Mortar with 3 exclusive inscriptions ending with 3+ projectile and 65%+ damage to any elemental effected enemy... pretty good. I just wish I could've gotten more curse scrolls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gonna admit that the hero unique Spiritual Links have given me new ideas for builds. I've always disdained Kick Bird build because it seems boring, but hadn't really thought about how All or Nothing interacts with the armor regen on kick. I am now dead set on making an exploding kick build that kicks the world and explodes.

It feels a bit better up front than Bird's slap build, but feels more dependent on snowballing by getting the exact right ascensions. On top of that you need specific ascensions rolling before you can take All or Nothing otherwise you just die while your kick is on CD.

Will report back on my hopefully eventual success.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah these spiritual links are a neat change. Had one on dog yesterday that added 100 magazine capacity to any launcher. Dualwielding 2 mortars on an explosion build with no reloads ever is pretty fun

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish pubbies would realize the Prince has got short legs and slow down like, even slightly, at all, ever, just a tiny bit. I've missed ascension chests before because everyone mashes the portal the millisecond they reach it, gently caress any money left on the ground, gently caress you if you can't instantly read an entire weapon's tooltip, gently caress you if you need to spend five seconds choosing between ascensions, we need to goooooooooooooooooooooo. *Runs into the next room solo and instantly dies.*

Also of course no consistency or awareness whatsoever when it comes to when to jump into a vault.

My fault for touching the pubstove, I know, but still.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 18, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If I don't have anyone to play with I'd much rather just play solo. The health balancing is way better solo imo, and you can pause if you need to stop and do stuff.

If I can sit down and play with some goons or friends that's totally fine too of course, but we can at least shoot the poo poo while doing it. I know in game vc exists but I can't imagine using it with pubbies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
W/r/t health balance, I hate that solo everything works just fine up until Pole Monarch and then I lose near-guaranteed because breaking through his shield even on normal seems to be mathematically impossible outside of specific crazy strong combos. I'm assuming this is partly a Prince-specific problem because his kit isn't designed for direct application of DPS. And at my current skill level I can only beat phase 3 by pure luck/luck of scrolls.

Meanwhile, he pretty consistently gets chumped in my co-op runs, but then the stage 2 and 3 bosses are absolute nightmares. Serpents isn't my favorite fight to begin with, but in co-op they're nothing but noise and death. And pubbies largely have no idea what to do about Wind God, though in fairness I think that fight is designed like hot garbage to begin with so it's more understandable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I, personally, have never had any issues with the Pole Bear fight solo. Jokul is typically just a victory lap of whatever very strong/busted build I've pulled together at that point. Hell, if I think my build is particularly busted I'll just let him survive the DPS check phase so I can dunk on him when he's at full power. You really don't even need hyper specific builds to pull it off, even just generically strong gun combos backed up by some occult scrolls can let you dunk on him pretty hard.

It's never not funny slapping/kicking/swording/punching the bear to death though with just abilities though, so I do usually lean towards ability builds myself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crown Prince may not be the most exciting character but he can make himself omnielemental with the third level of his Corrosion ascension and the right elemental share Gemini loadout. Beyond that beating pole bear is really just a matter of picking up the right stuff up as you went along, which really any character can do.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have a soft spot for Prince because not only is Cat a fascinating example of a good teaching character in a game with essentially no tutorial it's also easy to underestimate his strengths. Cat still holds the crown for being the only hero I've been able to play through the game with primarily a melee weapon, including killing the Pole Monarch. Smog Bound zone + grenade build is pretty drat good for covering your defenses, surprisingly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:shrug: I can blow through the first three stages without much difficulty at this point, give or take the occasional hiccup. I tend to need to slow down a bit in Jokul, usually because of UFOs or other bad layouts turning things into a bit more of a siege, but it's otherwise NBD when I'm not pinned down. But I simply cannot seem to bring enough raw DPS to the table as Prince. Outside of Energy Blade shenanigans infinite orbs are meaningless (and suck rear end in the rest of the fight as well :/ ) and smoke grenades even when built well don't magically solve the race on their own. I've made it there with plenty of decent, if maybe not S-tier, +10 weapons, geminis that should work well, etc. but when I say it comes off as mathematically impossible I mean it.

The only two things I can think of are that I'm somehow falling outside of optimal weapon ranges without realizing it and it's massively cutting my damage (but it's not like I'm trying to snipe him with a fire dragon) or my talents simply aren't at the point where my DPS can sufficiently explode out of control, which is pretty unsatisfying if it's the case.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If your primary weapon is only in the low teens in levels, then yeah you kinda hosed up. Gemini inscriptions are important, but finding a really good weapon in Desert with an exclusive inscription or just the right inscriptions + the right occult scrolls is all you need. Then you just slam money into it till it's in the 20s or close to 30. 30s are the extreme though, if you somehow manage to get a weapon to that point you probably had a money machine build early enough to get a weapon that far.

If I was going to point at specific talents that really enable dumb poo poo you might not have yet, surprisingly it's the peddler and money talents. Being able to reroll peddlers helps immensely, and having way better shots at getting occult scrolls available for sale helps you snowball a lot. The money talents let you go from saving up to spend occasionally on either/or of the peddler or weaponsmith, to just slamming money into the weaponsmith and peddler whenever you can if you want to.

Spiritual Blessings also contribute to my view of Pole Monarch fight, as they really enable dumb poo poo that probably wouldn't work nearly as well otherwise. If I could start another save file to try playing without meta talents again I would, I'm genuinely curious how I would do presented with the challenge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I suppose the metaprogression does make a pretty big difference to one's capabilities, especially wrt making the most out of shops and drops. The other talents improve your baseline stats by a bit but the real kicker is being able to sell every gun you don't need and grab as many scrolls from the peddler as you reasonably can.

If you're not yet at the level where you can start consistently nudging the rng's dice in your favor I imagine solo runs very much feel more like a matter of luck than anything else.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Evil Kit posted:

If your primary weapon is only in the low teens in levels, then yeah you kinda hosed up. Gemini inscriptions are important, but finding a really good weapon in Desert with an exclusive inscription or just the right inscriptions + the right occult scrolls is all you need. Then you just slam money into it till it's in the 20s or close to 30. 30s are the extreme though, if you somehow manage to get a weapon to that point you probably had a money machine build early enough to get a weapon that far.

If I was going to point at specific talents that really enable dumb poo poo you might not have yet, surprisingly it's the peddler and money talents. Being able to reroll peddlers helps immensely, and having way better shots at getting occult scrolls available for sale helps you snowball a lot. The money talents let you go from saving up to spend occasionally on either/or of the peddler or weaponsmith, to just slamming money into the weaponsmith and peddler whenever you can if you want to.

Well that's at least something. I think I've had weapons in the high teens at best a few times but never in the 20s that I can recall. It usually takes me a while to find a good pair that I'm happy with, sometimes not until stage 3 to get a freshly dropped 10 with the right mix of stuff to start really dumping money into. But I've also never had any kind of clear benchmark for weapon levels until now. Every guide out there gives a vague rule of thumb about them not being worth it past a certain point and to focus more on higher quality inscriptions and geminis. Is that not the case anymore?

And indeed, the money tree is one of the ones I've yet to flesh out much. I do usually find myself with a glut of copper in the mid-game, but it's rare that I'm in position where I'm ending the run with full pockets so it really does sound like a mathematical roadblock of simply not having enough resources to push everything hard enough to solve the DPS race.

Edit: Realized I could check my run log. The highest weapon I've ever had is 15, which perhaps not-so-coincidentally was the same run where I still failed the DPS race but at least was able to eke out a win on phase 3. :ms:?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 19, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, and of course no ability to etch yet means I can't freely slap a gemini on early stuff I like.

A thing of beauty, left to rot. :qq:

I realize I probably should've kept it anyway.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Murdoch posted:

Every guide out there gives a vague rule of thumb about them not being worth it past a certain point and to focus more on higher quality inscriptions and geminis. Is that not the case anymore?

I pretty much played from the start of Early Access and never actually looked at a guide, just kinda learned by feeling things out. Generally, outside of the Elemental type share and maybe the crit X sharing, Geminis are a bonus and not what you should focus on. I used to not even pay attention to them before they added the Jokul and the ability to etch a Gemini onto a gun with 4 inscriptions on it already. They just appeared so late and it was much easier to start finding an amazing gun in Desert from exclusive/rare inscriptions alone than try and hold out for a good gun that also had a Gemini you could try and roll.

This is not to say Gemini's don't matter, especially since you can play with them earlier now and you have an entire extra world to play through if you choose to go through the Jokul. I have absolutely won games because fusion status effects are very strong, and the elemental Gemini is just good.

The other thing is don't spread out your weapon level ups between guns, you're better off just focusing on one particularly busted gun with maybe a back up gun in case you run out of ammo or something, or are actually using a particular Gemini inscription combo. Any ammo issues you can shore up with scrolls, or ascensions depending on the character you play so no need to worry about gassing yourself on an ammo type late game with just one gun.

And all else, if you're just trying to push for essence souls or wins, you don't have to go to the Jokul. You can just take your win after beating the World 3 boss, especially if you're trying to get to Reincarnation mode.

edit: also yes you totally should have picked that Sunder up, that is a loving busted rear end gun right there lol.

edit edit: holy poo poo the name of that Bird in your screenshot lmao

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 19, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hecking double post to say that the majority of my runs that die are because of early game mistakes during the rocket tag you play vs before you have your own rockets. That, or hubris. I could make the excuses of having an aggressive playstyle, whoops too far forward and now I'm surrounded by Arsonists as a shotgunner blasts me in the butt.

But really it's just hubris.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Evil Kit posted:

I pretty much played from the start of Early Access and never actually looked at a guide, just kinda learned by feeling things out. Generally, outside of the Elemental type share and maybe the crit X sharing, Geminis are a bonus and not what you should focus on. I used to not even pay attention to them before they added the Jokul and the ability to etch a Gemini onto a gun with 4 inscriptions on it already. They just appeared so late and it was much easier to start finding an amazing gun in Desert from exclusive/rare inscriptions alone than try and hold out for a good gun that also had a Gemini you could try and roll.

This is not to say Gemini's don't matter, especially since you can play with them earlier now and you have an entire extra world to play through if you choose to go through the Jokul. I have absolutely won games because fusion status effects are very strong, and the elemental Gemini is just good.

The other thing is don't spread out your weapon level ups between guns, you're better off just focusing on one particularly busted gun with maybe a back up gun in case you run out of ammo or something, or are actually using a particular Gemini inscription combo. Any ammo issues you can shore up with scrolls, or ascensions depending on the character you play so no need to worry about gassing yourself on an ammo type late game with just one gun.

To be fair, I've been playing Prince, so my goal is almost always to find a decent elemental share combo for fire + lightning and lock it in as soon as possible. Which also dovetails nicely with pumping up the main gun and just using the other to mule a decent elemental proc. It just takes forever for geminis to start dropping naturally.

Unfortunately guides for the game are a bit all over the place. A hell of a lot of them are from various stages of early access, but it's usually easy to tell when they're woefully out of date because they'll only have half the characters or outright tell you to literally never play Prince. :v: I guess it's also possible that they're failing to differentiate solo vs. co-op strategies. You definitely don't need to crank raw weapon damage quite as high in co-op. But also like I said, outside of needing to slow down a tiny bit in Jokul, it's only Monarch phase 2 that actually stonewalls me. Nowhere else is my damage inadequate.

Evil Kit posted:

edit: also yes you totally should have picked that Sunder up, that is a loving busted rear end gun right there lol.

Wasn't a matter of picking it up, it was a matter of letting it go. We were blowing through things fast enough that the fire orbs were only performing so-so and I wanted elemental share, dangit.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 19, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Great mods on a gun are worth more than like 10 levels in a gun with only good mods imo, though I don't really know how the new gun monkey works so maybe it's different on him. An exception is that '[element] ball on crit' scales exclusively on gun level and increases to skill damage IIRC so if you find lightning or fire ball on crit on a Aura of Venom/Cloud Weaver/Sunder it can be worth carrying that sucker all the way to the end, especially if you get goblets or scrolls that boost skill dmg since those apply to the balls.

Evil Kit posted:

Now that they've changed Spores I don't think there's actually ever a reason to take the crit multiplier sharing one unless you're specifically the snow leopard. Find a good Hell, Wild Hunt, or Pupil and get the spore gemini and the spore mod is ridiculously overpowered even without a high fire rate weapon as the one you're actually using to shoot things. Elemental sharing's still good and worth taking a lot of the time, but if you have a laser/lightning glove or other really high fire rate weapon you usually want spores.

As an example of how wildly overpowered the spore mod is now, playing Reincarnation 6 with Myserious Jokul and 2 other people, as the bunny girl with a great laser glove + decent hell and the spore gemini, I killed the Pole Monarch in like 20 seconds :v: I actually spent like 6600 gold rerolling the geminis cause the loving game wouldn't give me the spore mod on the hell, but the gemini setup was easily several times more powerful than if I had spent that money leveling up the laser glove.

Base damage with off-hand weapon is actually good in specific scenarios since it's phrased kinda weird but it's a multiplier to final damage of a shot. So you can build up a 3x damage bonus to a shot as the snow leopard, that's multiplying the massive bonus from his primary skill. That it means you have to actually think about which weapon you're currently using is a big downside, since a big pro of the elemental and spore geminis are that you'll never have to switch weapons and can go all in on one.

Evil Kit posted:

I broadly agree but my opinion is that you should just generally not level up a gun until after the desert unless you find an insane one (or are slapping a couple cheap levels on something before the first boss fight) so you'll have more money for upgrading one that dropped with a gemini mod.

John Murdoch posted:

:shrug: I can blow through the first three stages without much difficulty at this point, give or take the occasional hiccup. I tend to need to slow down a bit in Jokul, usually because of UFOs or other bad layouts turning things into a bit more of a siege, but it's otherwise NBD when I'm not pinned down. But I simply cannot seem to bring enough raw DPS to the table as Prince. Outside of Energy Blade shenanigans infinite orbs are meaningless (and suck rear end in the rest of the fight as well :/ ) and smoke grenades even when built well don't magically solve the race on their own. I've made it there with plenty of decent, if maybe not S-tier, +10 weapons, geminis that should work well, etc. but when I say it comes off as mathematically impossible I mean it.

Your two real options on Prince outside of hoping for very specific combos are spore mod or fire bullshit.
Spore mod bullshit:
Just take any really good 600+ fire rate weapon you find and slap a strong shotgun in your other slot. Bonus points if the shotgun is a pupil since the spore pop will deal bonus damage to the monarch's shield I think? I think you can use a pupil as your primary weapon and have a shotgun in your pocket, but while that would do well against the monarch it's very risky for a solo build in Jokul.

Fire bullshit:
If you get the fire damage goblet early, aim to get that maxed and try and get a Demonlore or some other fire weapon with ridiculous DPS -- for gemini mods you want elemental sharing + a lightning weapon so your fire damage has a bonus to shields instead of a penalty. If you have the scroll that makes every shot deal elemental effect after swapping weapons (Elemental Weave), same set-up but prioritizing a good laser glove over a demonlore and decay from your grenade with guaranteed elemental effect on your fire weapon should deal enough damage to kill just about everything in the 3 seconds before the Elemental Weave expires. If you don't have the third level fire goblet OR elemental weave, just pick up the strongest non-fire weapon you can find (Voltaic SMG and Pupil get bonus points for being high DPS lightning weapons) and have your offhand weapon be either a Piercing Flame or Fire Tower with elemental sharing.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 19, 2022

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Evil Kit posted:

Hecking double post to say that the majority of my runs that die are because of early game mistakes during the rocket tag you play vs before you have your own rockets. That, or hubris. I could make the excuses of having an aggressive playstyle, whoops too far forward and now I'm surrounded by Arsonists as a shotgunner blasts me in the butt.

But really it's just hubris.
Also, elite spearmen. gently caress elite spearmen.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Runa posted:

Crown Prince may not be the most exciting character but he can make himself omnielemental with the third level of his Corrosion ascension and the right elemental share Gemini loadout. Beyond that beating pole bear is really just a matter of picking up the right stuff up as you went along, which really any character can do.

One of the spiritual links Crown Prince gets is absolutely insane if you can get RNG to cooperate:

Not only does this freeze enemies for 2 seconds every time you smokebomb them, it also triggers on the corrosion explosion caused by maxed Acidominance (Corrosion Cloud everytime you crit hit). Meaning every target you crit hit, every 3 seconds get frozen for 2 seconds. Oh, and the duration scales off energy orb chain duration, too.

John Murdoch posted:

The only two things I can think of are that I'm somehow falling outside of optimal weapon ranges without realizing it and it's massively cutting my damage (but it's not like I'm trying to snipe him with a fire dragon) or my talents simply aren't at the point where my DPS can sufficiently explode out of control, which is pretty unsatisfying if it's the case.

Everytime I get stuck on the low damage end with Cat, the solution has been finding a good Thunderclap gloves. Extra damage on elemental, crit elemental ball, extra aoe range +50% dmg hit, spread elemental effect,... all of those inscriptions are great on it and it will deal with the masses of enemies in Jokul no problem in combination with corrosion damage.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 19, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

okay that crown prince sp.link is pretty sick

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, and of course no ability to etch yet means I can't freely slap a gemini on early stuff I like.

A thing of beauty, left to rot. :qq:

I realize I probably should've kept it anyway.

ah. Yeah not having the ability to etch yet means a large part of your ability to put together a full build is still gated off. Once you get that you'll find it a lot easier to down pole monarch as solo prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I've made it there with plenty of decent, if maybe not S-tier, +10 weapons, geminis that should work well, etc. but when I say it comes off as mathematically impossible I mean it.

Evil Kit posted:

If your primary weapon is only in the low teens in levels, then yeah you kinda hosed up. Gemini inscriptions are important, but finding a really good weapon in Desert with an exclusive inscription or just the right inscriptions + the right occult scrolls is all you need. Then you just slam money into it till it's in the 20s or close to 30.

Yep, I made the same mistake as you John for the first dozens of hours in the game. I hadn't identified how important is the weapon level in this game. Ironically this was the case because I thought the game was better balanced than it is.
You gotta pick a decent weapon when you find them with 4 attributes, then add a gemini inscription and start upgrading it as your money allows.

In fact imo it's the single game design flaw of the game. How important is weapon level upgrades in the overall 'metagame'. I will explain:

-As a game that is a FPS with two weapon slots, you would want both slots to be used by the players. Switching weapons around and deciding which is the best for each fight is a staple of the genre. Maybe the player has one weapon for longer ranges and another for shorter ranges. Or a weapon good against some enemies with a specific elemental weakness, and another against enemies with hard to hit weak spot. Whatever.
That's not how things work here, you reach a point, where it's better to always use a single weapon in detriment of the second one. Because a level 20 weapon hits so much harder than a level 12 weapon, even if the current enemies are in theory more vulnerable to the level 12 weapon. Weapon level stronk.
-As a a game where you find loot (action rpg/roguelite), you want the players to stop and think what is better, if their current weapon or the new dropped weapon. Well, the answer is always your current weapon (again, once your reach a specific point), because the weapon level of the loot you find isn't high enough as the game progresses, if you have been properly upgrading your uber-weapon.

So imo, the weapon upgrades cost should increase always, right now it's capped at a very low level:

It should continue with 700, 800, 900... that way, there would be a soft pressure in not investing all your money in a single weapon, and sharing it in between two weapons, and also the player weapon level wouldn't jump over the stage drop level that radically. Of course because the final result would be the player power on the endgame being lower, the entire enemy difficulty of Duo Fjord and Jokul should be lowered accordingly.