Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

teagone posted:

They keep loving with Mercy's superjump mechanic and I'm not sure which implementation is going to be in the game on Oct 4th, but otherwise, she's about as fun as she was in OW1 imo.

I never bothered to learn that strat, so said fuckery doesn't really affect me. :geno:

Mercy always felt like the hero closest to the Medic from TF2, so I've always felt an affinity towards Mercy's focus on dodging while spreading healing and buffing my teammates. I like the feeling of 'spinning plates' keeping everybody healed up while avoiding being killed myself.

Same deal with Junkrat and Demoman, plus I've always liked playing him as the underdog as far as the meta goes. He also has objectively the best personality out of all the heroes, so I'm biased. :allears:

Roadhog is good for when I'm playing with pubbies and don't trust them for heals/damage. I'm also a fan of his personality. Otherwise, Rein/Zarya for when I feel like I can trust in their competence and capacity for teamwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I actually had way more fun with mercy in the second beta because I've never been able to wrap my head around the super jump thing

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Will OW2 be a lot more hardware-intensive than OW1? If my laptop can run OW1 fine, will it have any trouble running OW2?

E: I also just realized having one uber-tank means the end of tank synergy strategies. :rip:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 18, 2022

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Will OW2 be a lot more hardware-intensive than OW1? If my laptop can run OW1 fine, will it have any trouble running OW2?
Probably not, there’s one less player on each side and it’ll run on the Switch

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hate the battle pass bullshit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jack Trades posted:

I hate the battle pass bullshit.

Knowing me, I'll be opening up my wallet once again. :shepspends:

E: I only care about skins for characters I actually play. Will it still be possible to unlock them directly through the new shop/tokens? Or is it all random based on the Battle Pass?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 18, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What gets me about battlepasses is that you still have to grind to get everything even if you pay. It's like you're paying to do a job.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What gets me about battlepasses is that you still have to grind to get everything even if you pay. It's like you're paying to do a job.

Pay2Grind

The work you have to pay for, the capitalist's wet dream come true.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Knowing me, I'll be opening up my wallet once again. :shepspends:

E: I only care about skins for characters I actually play. Will it still be possible to unlock them directly through the new shop/tokens? Or is it all random based on the Battle Pass?

There's no confirmation, but usually games with battle passes have exclusive items during the season.
On later seasons some of the old stuff might come back as bundle sales. Or blizz might add them to the coin shop, but no confirmation on those.

There is also coin shop for the old skins and couple for the new characters at the start.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Contentwise Battlepasses seem pretty anemic.

2 skins for the Free Battle pass (Mcree, Monkey)
for 10 $€ you get
7 more skins from Premium Battle Pass.

That's 9 skins for a 9 week season.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

adhuin posted:

Contentwise Battlepasses seem pretty anemic.

2 skins for the Free Battle pass (Mcree, Monkey)
for 10 $€ you get
7 more skins from Premium Battle Pass.

That's 9 skins for a 9 week season.

The main draw is the mythic skin at the end, I'm actually surprised they put those in the battlepass.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arzachel posted:

The main draw is the mythic skin at the end, I'm actually surprised they put those in the battlepass.

It's not the in free one. I'd be happy with the battlepass system if heroes weren't locked behind it tbh. Having to grind or pay for a core component of the game is so nakedly greedy it's unreal.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For a battlepass that seems pretty average to me, hate em or love em but you usually get a couple actually good skins that are basically the ones you're paying for, some others that are OK and then a bunch of other crap like profile icons and such.

Unlocking the heroes is a weird one, in Valorant it takes like a week to get a new character, Apex a bit longer if you're starting at zero but if you play the game regularly you have a lot of that currency stacked up I guess, Apex would be pretty rough to start playing now though cause there'd be 12 heroes, you have no idea which one you'd like to play and earning the currency takes ages. This it seems like it'll take awhile to unlock a character

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 18, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope they change the way priority queue works in OW2 because as it stands right now the tickets are way too easy to get and when everyone is in priority queue then nobody is, defeating the whole point of the system.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

We probably should reboot this thread when the Overwatch 2 get released.
There's going to be new players and returnees and the current OP is hopelessly outdated.
It's talking about OW1 beta and all the other threads we had on Blizz subforums.

I can start designing a new OP, unless anyone else really want to volunteer?

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Anyways, is it still fun to play as Junkrat/Roadhog/Mercy in OW2, at least? Those are my main picks for each of the class roles in OW1.

By the end of the last OW2 beta, Mercy's slingshot was significantly altered to where you had to look in the direction you wanted to go (instead of continuing your current trajectory), and its velocity was also based on how much you'd built up some sort of charge meter during the initial leg of guardian angel. I personally hated it, and it killed the wild maneuverability and slipperiness that made Mercy fun for me. This is on top of some ridiculous change they made to make Mercy auto super jump at the end of the GA, which interfered with (and cancelled!) revives as well as made you pop up unexpectedly and die whenever the enemy soldier was using tactical visor.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

not wrong

Did Blizzard lose artists prior to Overwatch’s release or something? Because that reddit pic touches on the reality that all of Overwatch’s really well-imagined and memorable characters come from the release window, Sombra was the last great one.

Part of what really broke Overwatch out originally was the Pixar-like quality of their character designs and media, and since then it’s been mostly forgettable poo poo like Sigma and Echo. They even destroyed Junkrat!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hamster was the same way. i remember someone making a similar case with it where OW had all these fairly fleshed out characters that were hugely popular with fans... and then they just released a loving hamster ball? what?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kiriko feels a lot like Tracer decided to cosplay a self-written Naruto character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hamster was the same way. i remember someone making a similar case with it where OW had all these fairly fleshed out characters that were hugely popular with fans... and then they just released a loving hamster ball? what?

The Hamster was awesome though.

I think the third complaint is silly. She's no more "random and out of place" than any other character in the game

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They never really bothered to give Hammond any supporting media iirc, which is disappointing since it's a tiny genius hamster who only wants to break things and watch the world burn.

Come to think of it, the last big piece of OW media was Mei's cinematic, which unfortunately got upstaged by a Junkrat short that looks like it was animated in GMod. After that, we stopped getting big things like the Sombra ARG.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Father Wendigo posted:

They never really bothered to give Hammond any supporting media iirc, which is disappointing since it's a tiny genius hamster who only wants to break things and watch the world burn.

Come to think of it, the last big piece of OW media was Mei's cinematic, which unfortunately got upstaged by a Junkrat short that looks like it was animated in GMod. After that, we stopped getting big things like the Sombra ARG.

The story of Overwatch 1, in six years, advanced as far as "Overwatch is maybe getting back together to fight ???"

huge wasted opportunity considering how many fans like the game for the character/lore

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hanzo and Genji are also based off samurai and ninja archetypes who use a longbow and katana/ninja stars respectively, so that argument of Kiriko being some ninja priestess who uses kunai and talismans is dumb. Especially so since apparently her lore is intertwined with the Shimada bros. Her kit is clearly influenced by NINJA VANISH! poo poo too, so I dunno. Those arguments are weak imo.

[edit] Hammond's lore is tied to Winstons, right? What else is there to know? Lmao. I do want to hear of his exploits in the wasteland though. Is he like the Junker Queen's top advisor? Lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 19, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

Hanzo and Genji are also based off samurai and ninja archetypes who use a longbow and katana/ninja stars respectively, so that argument of Kiriko being some ninja priestess who uses kunai and talismans is dumb. Especially so since apparently her lore is intertwined with the Shimada bros. Her kit is clearly influenced by NINJA VANISH! poo poo too, so I dunno. Those arguments are weak imo.

[edit] Hammond's lore is tied to Winstons, right? What else is there to know? Lmao. I do want to hear of his exploits in the wasteland though. Is he like the Junker Queen's top advisor? Lmao.

Aww now I just realized that in comp you can't get Hammond on the same team with JQ so we can't hear any dialogue between them.

Maybe it'll be in the game for no limits or MH.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Macaluso posted:

The Hamster was awesome though.

I think the third complaint is silly. She's no more "random and out of place" than any other character in the game

character was mechanically cool but they just did nothing at all to flesh out why anyone should care about a large hamster

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the Overwatch team has heard your cries for Jetpack Cat loud and clear, players! introducing: ball hamster!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Codependent Poster posted:

Aww now I just realized that in comp you can't get Hammond on the same team with JQ so we can't hear any dialogue between them.

there's definitely some queen/hamster dialogue, it's in various youtube compilations from the beta

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

character was mechanically cool but they just did nothing at all to flesh out why anyone should care about a large hamster

Because he's a big intelligent hamster that built a death robot that turns into a ball and speaks for him with a really low pitched ominous robot voice? His design is great. Am I supposed to care about Soldier more cause he's more deeply routed in the lore? No, Soldier sucks and Hammond rules. I want more intelligent and/or talking animals. I really want a talking velociraptor

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
soldier is funny because he's an old millennial and loves twitter and white claw

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Wrecking Ball is...fine, I guess? pure generic deadpan killbot humor, hk-47 in two second soundbites or revenant without the over the top edginess. I don't recall that Hammond even has an identifiable personality that you can discern from the voice lines, aside from "likes fighting". it's the exact same gag across dozens of voice lines.

e: Winston is a waaaay better talking animal, and would be even if you ignore everything else and consider solely that Winston's VA is allowed to emote while Hammond gets a fake synthesized deadpan robot voice that delivers nearly every line in the same inflection. He also has literally the same backstory as Winston, except Winston then gets hooks to a bunch of other stuff in the setting and character relationships for his lines to build on while Hammond has a white board that says:

quote:

- Australia?
-

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 19, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hammond is cool and so is his hamster ball death mecha.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Kiriko just has Dva's copypasted face or do I just have cattoon facial aphasia?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Soldier has more character in his voice lines than Sigma, Echo, Brigitte, and Hamster combined.

Character isn’t necessarily reams of plot, don’t be stupid.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in conclusion. he looks like a fanmade character by someone who just wants to use Swedish aesthetics

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Self-assessment: Lonely rolling ball."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Codependent Poster posted:

poo poo, they really did put 3 of the 4 wasteland / junker characters in the same role, didn't they?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve only played the first year, and the last three months, so I don’t know a ton of the lore, but Hammond seems pretty cool. He’s from the same lab as Winston, but instead of joining Overwatch, he became a Junkertown mech battler.

Of the new characters, Ashe is my favorite, but her lore isn’t the greatest. Makes me wish there was more dedicated PVE, because she’s a lot of fun there.

Love Orisa, but losing her shield in OW2 is going to break my heart. Got the puppy emote, victory pose, and the “Do you need a hug?” voice line, and that’s all the character I need from her.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orisa is my main tank and yeah, it's unfortunate to have to lose her Shield but I really like her rework.
She still has that unstoppable wall energy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

GET RID OF ROLE QUEUE

get rid of shields and/or severely nerf it on a per character basis

give everyone passive heal over time after not taking damage for a bit

balance the game so whatever comp mostly works

push support chars into more damage and utility instead of healing if healing is still too powerful

there i saved ow2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

GET RID OF ROLE QUEUE

get rid of shields and/or severely nerf it on a per character basis

There's already 75% or 66% (i forget the exact number when I did the math) less shields in OW2 compared to 1, and also there's Open Queue for people like you. Sorry you don't know how to navigate menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i played almost exclusively support + tank in ow1 before and when it had role queue

the problem with role queue is it's going to kill the game because people are going to press the 'i want to play' button and then theyre staring at a countdown timer. they're going to click on a streamer whose primary job is advertisement and see a countdown timer. this is so loving terrible for game retention. this is terrible for people who want to pick tank/support because the game is gonna be loving dead lol