Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Im missing the 15 at level 5 but I'll just sweep the land after unlocking the dendroculus resonance stone in a few weeks :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Trip report: I've been in Dendroland for half an hour and it's already so much loving better than Inazuma

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just going to use the compass when I get it. There was a TON of content this patch. If 3.1 has a similar amount (of just exploration), I will be honestly freaking impressed

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Sumeru in general rules. The four-leaf sigil things are a blast.

The best part is they're literally just the air-grab things in Inazuma, minus the time limit poo poo that made those awful to use.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly its hard to go back. It would be a step down in world design if all the areas after this dont include always on grapple devices.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The one thing I liked about Inazuma over Sumeru was that there was far less paimon steering you into/off a cliff if you strayed into a zone that's blocked off by story. Sure, the world would just outright kill you instead, but it felt nicer.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The worst part of the game for me is when you're climbing upwards and then reach some ridge that cannot be scaled and so your character decides to just let go and fall because ????

Gently bumped your head, now you're dead~

It's kinda interesting that they just straight up put invisible walls in a lot of places (particularly domains) for Sumeru, instead of just letting you fall into the void. That's a slightly nicer solution than just making things unclimbable; I had to jump into the void a few times in the tignari story domain because I fell off a vine, landed on a little platform that's meant to catch you, but couldn't actually get back up to anywhere (because you can't climb).

Tree Reformat posted:

The best part is they're literally just the air-grab things in Inazuma, minus the time limit poo poo that made those awful to use.

They're slightly less janky, but I think it was a bit nicer that you could just zap to those if you were within the circumference, rather than flop the camera around to find the next one. But that's just because I've had them take ages to load in for say, that commission where you chase the jellyfish, and I don't think I ever had a problem with them not existing for the electro ones. (Also I haven't tried it on playstation yet to see how annoying the camera thing is there)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm happy to just slow-drip out the remaining quests and exploration over the next year; a random commission sends you to an area you hadn't been to before and you see a chest there or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

Yeah I always liked the zip-point things in Inazuma when they were used for specific challenges, but I never really liked them as part of exploration. There was an event right when Inazuma released that featured a bunch of time trials using the air grab/zip things that was a lot of fun. Sumeru's implementation of the idea is much easier to use for general exploration and still works for time trial courses, so it's even better.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tree Reformat posted:

It's so cool + good that they made the interact-with-the-grana-granting-things purely part of puzzles you do and are done with, and they made the traversal things just require targeting. Sumeru's just so good top to bottom (other than these Collei mushrooms gently caress).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The mushroom routes weren't that bad imo. The two spots in apam woods are pretty easy

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got Barbara so I don't need to stuff myself with chicken anymore, hopefully.

Is there an easy way to switch between parties?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally got Barbara so I don't need to stuff myself with chicken anymore, hopefully.

Is there an easy way to switch between parties?

L on pc, hold any character icon on mobile, and you can customize the quickwheel to include it on playstation/controller.

It's not as quick and easy as swapping between characters, but it's better than dicking around in the menu.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You can have up to 10 preset parties now. On the character selection screen, click on the icon in the bottom left to add more.

If you're wondering if there's faster way to swap parties than waiting for the bar to fill and go to the menu, no there isn't.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
is it possible to get this running easily on the steam deck? No windows or anything?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The day the patch rolled out to let you customise the quickwheel the very first thing I did was take the adventurers guide off it, and add swap party on instead. Such a massive QoL improvement, because even before I finished the drat thing I swapped party members about 10 times more often than I opened the guide. Since I finished it I only ever open it to very occasionally go "I need to grind out some whopperflower nectar, I'll let the guide show me where to go" or to switch commission areas.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zenostein posted:

L on pc, hold any character icon on mobile, and you can customize the quickwheel to include it on playstation/controller.

It's not as quick and easy as swapping between characters, but it's better than dicking around in the menu.

That would be a help. Thanks!

A couple of things:

1. I got a couple of world quests that involves a Snowy Mountain. Is that the Dragonspire mountains that I should leave for after Liyue?

2. Can I more or less freely use my level up materials within reason?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 19, 2022

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

The day the patch rolled out to let you customise the quickwheel the very first thing I did was take the adventurers guide off it, and add swap party on instead. Such a massive QoL improvement, because even before I finished the drat thing I swapped party members about 10 times more often than I opened the guide. Since I finished it I only ever open it to very occasionally go "I need to grind out some whopperflower nectar, I'll let the guide show me where to go" or to switch commission areas.

... I didn't realize I could do this. drat, thank you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unlucky7 posted:

That would be a help. Thanks!

A couple of things:

1. I got a couple of world quests that involves a Snowy Mountain. Is that the Dragonspire mountains that I should leave for after Liyue?

2. Can I more or less freely use my level up materials within reason?

Basically feel free to use up anything besides Crowns of Insight (the special item needed for leveling a skill to 10), since everything else is reasonably farmable.
But don't spread your resources too thin -- as you're leveling up try to have at least one character at or near the level cap (and their equippped weapon too!) before you go crazy dumping resources into everyone else. There are a few players who try to level a dozen characters equally and just end up super behind in power compared to the world level.

And yeah the snowy mountain is dragonspine. In terms of release order and difficulty it's between Liyue and Inazuma.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Honestly its hard to go back. It would be a step down in world design if all the areas after this dont include always on grapple devices.

I decided to be a crazy completionist (and because I just love being in Genshin) and get every known chest in Sumeru. It felt really satisfying and I knew I was missing some in Dragonspine so I figured I'd try to hunt down some chests there too.

I noped out after 10 minutes. That place is so actively hostile to exploration and I felt downright spoiled by Sumeru.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

SiKboy posted:

:same:

It was nice when a bit after they added that, they just put a little bar underneath the circle bar, so you can still pretty easily access the thing the 4 times a year you want it.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I decided to be a crazy completionist (and because I just love being in Genshin) and get every known chest in Sumeru. It felt really satisfying and I knew I was missing some in Dragonspine so I figured I'd try to hunt down some chests there too.

I noped out after 10 minutes. That place is so actively hostile to exploration and I felt downright spoiled by Sumeru.

I'll be genuinely shocked if you can just mosey around the desert freely without some bullshit like a thirst meter or something.

Speaking of which, I was pretty surprised that the withering just straight up kills you if you stay in it for too long. Died like a foot away from the green zone of safety, because I assumed it worked like dragonspine and once the annoying screen effect took over, you'd just take health damage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Here's a fun bug:
https://twitter.com/hxg_diluc/status/1571456903183757314

Barbara's loop creates a pulse of AOE hydro whenever a new target enters its range. For whatever reason, bloom cores count as targets for this (at least until this gets patched). So if you stand in the right spot so that bloom cores spawn inside barbara's hydro application range (and you can keep up enough dendro), you get a crazy infinite feedback loop.

NB that it still has a regular 3-hit ICD so you need to be hitting at least 3 separate enemies with your hydro pulses to spawn 3 bloom cores per tick if you want it to really go infinite.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

is it possible to get this running easily on the steam deck? No windows or anything?

Is it possible? Yes it is. It involves (just like running it under Lutris) using a custom launcher, which means you're modifying the game, which means you might cop a ban for it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here's a fun bug:
https://twitter.com/hxg_diluc/status/1571456903183757314

Barbara's loop creates a pulse of AOE hydro whenever a new target enters its range. For whatever reason, bloom cores count as targets for this (at least until this gets patched). So if you stand in the right spot so that bloom cores spawn inside barbara's hydro application range (and you can keep up enough dendro), you get a crazy infinite feedback loop.

NB that it still has a regular 3-hit ICD so you need to be hitting at least 3 separate enemies with your hydro pulses to spawn 3 bloom cores per tick if you want it to really go infinite.

That's a lot of numbers for "I turned on some skills and then just stood there while wolves tried to eat my face."
Kinda feels like things entering barbara's musical ring of water triggers raiden's skill, but it's rather hard to tell. The music ring can knock berries off bushes and stuff, so I assume it's enough of a hit to count.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finally grokked that I do not need to have the Traveler in my party.

That frees up a character slot for me.

Also should I sweat about 4 star character vs 5 star? Tartaligia has amazing stats but I do like Fischl more, and I do have several constellation stars on her.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 19, 2022

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also should I sweat about 4 star character vs 5 star? Tartaligia has amazing stats but I do like Fischl more, and I do have several constellation stars on her.
It's way more about playstyle than raw stats, for example Fischl's really good if you want to apply a bunch of Electro without having her on the field, Tartaglia's good if you want someone to do a bunch of Hydro damage as your active character (and you don't mind his weird stance switch mechanic). With vanishingly rare exceptions, it's not a situation where a 5* is just "existing 4*, +++" other than like....Kokomi, who (other than the degeneracy linked earlier) is Barbara 2: Can Do More Than Healbot.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

Just wait til you hit the Inazuma part of the Archon quest chain.

You will be broken of many early-game bad habits by the end of it, or walk away in frustration trying.

As for the characters, it mostly matter more "what is my preferred playstyle, what elements and roles do I need filled, and how do the characters on my roster make this happen?" So both those characters are considered Very Very Good for their respective roles, its just that they have different roles they play. 5*/4* is almost an arbitrary distinction in actual gameplay for most characters, the only real difference is that 5*s can get going right out of the box due to their relative rarity, whereas 4*s are more meant to kind of want at least a few constellations to really start to shine. I have C0 Jean and C6 Sucrose from this current banner, and I could theoretically start going on either of them for the role they fill (Anemo Vaccuum Support).

But I've been rocking a C0 Yanfei since near the beginning as one of my main DPS in general gameplay, so again, it really comes down to What Works for you.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally got my first usable Dendro goblet :toot:

Couple disappointing rolls, but still a significant ~10% improvement from my EM goblet. Definitely hope to replace it with a better one, though.

Now I have to make a difficult decision whether to replace my Cr.DMG crown with Cr.Rate for technically better averages, but smaller big numbers. I think the fact that bows can do headshots means I can weigh Cr.DMG a bit higher.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Many of the best characters in the game are 4 stars, launch 4 stars but still they are amazing. Bennett, Xingqiu, Fischl, Sucrose, Xiangling, Beidou, Diona, Rosaria and Heizou are all amazing. Some of the newer 4 stars are good in a very narrow niche like Gorou or Yunjin or c6 Sara. The main thing 4 stars are not as good at is main on field dps, with the exception of Heizou, but don't discount a unit just because it's 4 star.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

No, play who you like. Until you hit AR 45, you won't consistently get good enough artifacts to really bring out the character's true power, so you can't even properly build them until that time. I never had a 5 star other than the taveler for the longest time when I started playing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Deepwood is being very bizarre for me. I have no dendro goblet goblet or crit helmet, yet it gave me a feather, a flower, and an ER sands with elemental mastery of 79, 79, and 82, respectively

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Honestly, I kind of prefer having more 4*s on a team for the lack of zoom when bursting

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Deepwood is being very bizarre for me. I have no dendro goblet goblet or crit helmet, yet it gave me a feather, a flower, and an ER sands with elemental mastery of 79, 79, and 82, respectively

Your Nahida will be very happy

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

It does, but you'll sorta need geo traveler for puzzles in liyue, so don't just leave them on the bench at level 10, you'll just end up annoyed when you have to swap them in and hope a stray hilchurl doesn't one-shot them later on.

Unless ninguang's wall counts as weight for those weight switches? But I'd hate to try and aim that, it was hard enough doing so with zhongli.

Like everyone said, 4*s are generally perfectly fine. One small thing I'd look at is stuff like their passives. For example, childe's got that "free +1 normal attack talent" passive, which is probably a nice thing to have if you're mostly hitting stuff until they die, rather than blasting skills and bursts everywhere. Most passives are just crafting-related; some people have neat stuff, but that's locked behind ascensions. Still, worth taking a second to look at, I'd say.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Genshin is a game where they just made one of the worst 5 star dps into good, this aint summoner wars or brave exvious where you combine your 6 star dupes into a 7 star

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Genshin is a game where they just made one of the worst 5 star dps into good, this aint summoner wars or brave exvious where you combine your 6 star dupes into a 7 star

To the point where I've been hearing that Cyno vs Keqing is down to preference, instead of just pull the new guy he's better. ...granted you can't target Keqing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its pretty fun zoomin' and hyperbloomin' with Keqing

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is Keqing still reliant on charged attack spam in dendro teams? That was what I always hated most about her. Her CA eats all of your stamina and has fuckall range.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vargs posted:

Is Keqing still reliant on charged attack spam in dendro teams? That was what I always hated most about her. Her CA eats all of your stamina and has fuckall range.

sort of? It's still better because it helps her icds, but you can do the lazy rotation, or if you're fighting stuff you send flying, even NA spam is fine with TF because your E comes up so quickly. Honestly a real star now is her burst, aggravate makes it actually good. I don't know how much worse she is with ignoring her charged attack vs using it however. But for just overworld fuckery or domains? It's totally fine. I haven't touched abyss still.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zenostein posted:

Unless ninguang's wall counts as weight for those weight switches? But I'd hate to try and aim that, it was hard enough doing so with zhongli.

It does and it's very easy since the gate is so long

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zenostein posted:

It does (even though it floats!), but you can't climb on it for the Geoculi that expect you to stand on the Traveller's rock for some extra height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eimi posted:

Many of the best characters in the game are 4 stars, launch 4 stars but still they are amazing. Bennett, Xingqiu, Fischl, Sucrose, Xiangling, Beidou, Diona, Rosaria and Heizou are all amazing. Some of the newer 4 stars are good in a very narrow niche like Gorou or Yunjin or c6 Sara. The main thing 4 stars are not as good at is main on field dps, with the exception of Heizou, but don't discount a unit just because it's 4 star.

Razor is a good main on field dps :colbert: