Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Advent Horizon posted:

6 point sockets remove hex head fasteners, 12 point sockets only remove the hex.

:lol: yeah this has been my experience. I don't use 12 point on anything because nothing I work on has 12 point fasteners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was just looking at 6 or 12 so that works

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
12-point sockets will also work in a pinch on square head fasteners.

Wrenches with 12-point box ends may round your fasteners, but offer significantly enhanced flexibility for situations with poor accessibility.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is there a standard thread that just happens to be the same as M6 1.0 or did I luck out and just happen to find the 1 M6 1.0 nut in my shop in the junk drawer?

It looks pretty drat close to 1/4 -28

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My M6 1.0 thread checker (bolt) threads into my 1/4 28 thread checker (nut) fine for a few turns before binding but the reverse doesn't work at all. Maybe a slightly undersized 1/4 28 bolt and oversized/loose M6 1.0 nut would work if it's narrow enough

E: predictably I have M3, 4, and 5 nuts but no M6 (that I know of)

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 14, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm pretty sure it was a 1/4 - 28.
It worked though. This fuckin thing now has 3 M6 bolts and 2 m6 studs, 1 with an M6 nut and the other with a 1/4 - 28 nut holding on the exhaust manifold. And since the other bolt hole is broken on the manifold, I needn't feel obligated to try and replace the 6th stud.

VICTORY!!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Another annoying almost equivalent is 5/16-18 and M8x1.25mm. 5/16" = 7.94mm. 18 TPI = 1.41mm. It takes about 4 turns before you're off by half a thread, so it feels right until it doesn't. In my younger and more vulnerable years that mistake caused me WAY too many stripped threads. Now I'm too smart for that (sometimes).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

JoshGuitar posted:

Another annoying almost equivalent is 5/16-18 and M8x1.25mm. 5/16" = 7.94mm. 18 TPI = 1.41mm. It takes about 4 turns before you're off by half a thread, so it feels right until it doesn't. In my younger and more vulnerable years that mistake caused me WAY too many stripped threads. Now I'm too smart for that (sometimes).

Thats probably why 5/16 - 18 worked to pop the old rusty rotors off the back of my Corolla a few years back.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Fuckin same with m5 and 10-32

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wera tool kit for a really good price. Check other sellers for $111 option.

Wera 05135926001 Nut Drivers https://a.co/d/iKd4Xhy

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a 1/4 - 28.
It worked though. This fuckin thing now has 3 M6 bolts and 2 m6 studs, 1 with an M6 nut and the other with a 1/4 - 28 nut holding on the exhaust manifold. And since the other bolt hole is broken on the manifold, I needn't feel obligated to try and replace the 6th stud.

VICTORY!!

Inarticulate screaming

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

honda whisperer posted:

Inarticulate screaming

this is a typical response to metric bullshit

close enough to something normal, but just wrong enough that it pisses you off

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Wera tool kit for a really good price. Check other sellers for $111 option.

Wera 05135926001 Nut Drivers https://a.co/d/iKd4Xhy

Interesting how Amazon UK is undercutting Amazon actual. Note that shipping takes about a month.

Just shows due to the depressed currency values elsewhere and a strong dollar gives us good international buying power... at least until things turn to poo poo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Interesting how Amazon UK is undercutting Amazon actual. Note that shipping takes about a month.

Just shows due to the depressed currency values elsewhere and a strong dollar gives us good international buying power... at least until things turn to poo poo.

I don't know what you mean.

Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Everything is fine.

Everything is hosed.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

meatpimp posted:

I did this recently for a Gedore 1265 cantilever tool box. I ordered it September 6, and it arrived via DHL free shipping on September 12th. It was a good $70 cheaper than it was on other US sites.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

0toShifty posted:

I did this recently for a Gedore 1265 cantilever tool box. I ordered it September 6, and it arrived via DHL free shipping on September 12th. It was a good $70 cheaper than it was on other US sites.

I ordered a backpack from Amazon UK, was told it would take a few weeks, and it showed up via DHL in a few days before the rest of the Amazon order from Amazon USA (through non-Prime free shipping).

I wasn't even thinking about it coming from there, I didn't notice until I got to the checkout and the delivery date was so out of whack from everything else.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Raluek posted:

this is a typical response to metric bullshit

close enough to something normal, but just wrong enough that it pisses you off

Not that. This was 100% homebrewd metric and standard nightmare flashbacks. Just... why are these threads all hosed up? Nothing fits right. Oh. Ohhh. Oh no.

Dear aftermarket, if you're making parts for cars with metric fasteners go metric! Don't supply 1/4-20 bolts for a honda. This doesn't have to be hard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What sockets are a halfway decent, readily available step up from the chrome plated Craftsman set I've been rocking since Christmas 2004 or so? Bonus points if they're available from a Home Depot or a Lowes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

Not that. This was 100% homebrewd metric and standard nightmare flashbacks. Just... why are these threads all hosed up? Nothing fits right. Oh. Ohhh. Oh no.

Dear aftermarket, if you're making parts for cars with metric fasteners go metric! Don't supply 1/4-20 bolts for a honda. This doesn't have to be hard.

I learned this on a 3/8-24 brake line fitting I accidentally bought an m10x1.0 line for. 2009, my first lesson in double checking things from the rack at the parts store.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

What sockets are a halfway decent, readily available step up from the chrome plated Craftsman set I've been rocking since Christmas 2004 or so? Bonus points if they're available from a Home Depot or a Lowes.

is there something wrong with the ones you have? i'm still using babbys first craftsman set from 1998. i had to buy impact sockets once i got impact tools but the old ones still chug along.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Socket sets don't get replaced. You add onto them.

Regular sockets? Get deep ones. Have deep ones? Get shallow. Have shallow? Get impact rated. Have impact? Get all six point. Have that? Get color coded.

Oh wait, do you have 1/2"? 1/4"?

At this point you might need a larger tool box.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, I only "replaced" (added more sockets to) my mid 90s craftsman set because all my 3/8 deeps were 12pt. Now I just have multiple sets of sockets (deep and shallow 12pt, deep/mid/shallow 6pt) in a mix of Craftsman, Tekton and Gear Wrench.

As far as available at Lowe's Depot, you've got Craftsman at Lowe's if you need something particular, or I think HD seems to have Husky or maybe Dewalt? I like my Tekton and Gear Wrench stuff, but it's harder to find locally. Lowe's should have a good selection of individual sockets, though the closest one to me is often pretty picked over and low in stock.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm glad I live in metric land and outside of buying imperial cars there is an extremely low chance of ever encountering anything but metric fasteners in the wild. Hell, the only example I can think of are camera mounts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Seat belt bolts on many cars, even fully metric ones, were SAE into the 2000s. I'm not sure about in other countries but even USDM Subarus were SAE seatbelt bolt. This is because until fairly recently the federal motor vehicle safety standards literally said you needed to use grade 8 1/2" or 7/16" bolts for them. At some point they changed it to give a shear strength minimum instead.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BraveUlysses posted:

is there something wrong with the ones you have?

I just feel like they've felt sloppy the last few times I've used them. I'll reassess.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

kastein posted:

Seat belt bolts on many cars, even fully metric ones, were SAE into the 2000s. I'm not sure about in other countries but even USDM Subarus were SAE seatbelt bolt. This is because until fairly recently the federal motor vehicle safety standards literally said you needed to use grade 8 1/2" or 7/16" bolts for them. At some point they changed it to give a shear strength minimum instead.

Seat belt bolts with Torx heads are often T47. Not T45. Not T50. T47.

I think the Astro Pneumatic stuff on Amazon is generally very, very good for the price. I like the "Nano" sockets that are extra shallow and can be gripped on the outside by a 17mm ratcheting wrench.

Generally it seems that new Taiwanese-made tools are in the sweet spot of reliably good quality at reasonable prices. Gearwrench and Astro appear to be the two biggest players in Taiwanese hand (and pneumatic) tools.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

I think the Astro Pneumatic stuff on Amazon is generally very, very good for the price. I like the "Nano" sockets that are extra shallow and can be gripped on the outside by a 17mm ratcheting wrench.

Generally it seems that new Taiwanese-made tools are in the sweet spot of reliably good quality at reasonable prices. Gearwrench and Astro appear to be the two biggest players in Taiwanese hand (and pneumatic) tools.

Tekton as well.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have a recommendation for files? I had some cheap ones that I don’t know the brand of that came with plastic handles and someone broke the handles. It was me. :sigh:

Then I kept using them but it’s time for some new ones.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

AFAIK Nicholson still makes a decent product. Typically available at lowes depot and most big box stores.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

builds character posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for files? I had some cheap ones that I don’t know the brand of that came with plastic handles and someone broke the handles. It was me. :sigh:

Then I kept using them but it’s time for some new ones.

If the files themselves are not shagged out, you could just get some new handles

Otherwise I quite like my Corradi (https://www.corradishop.com/) files.

Heard good things about Pferd (https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/files/) and Vallorbe (https://www.vallorbe.com/en-ch/products/files) as well but no first hand knowledge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

AFAIK Nicholson still makes a decent product. Typically available at lowes depot and most big box stores.

Nicholson quality took a nose dive when they moved production to Brazil? Wherever it was, the USA made ones were way way better. Pferd is very good.

Obligate: but and use a file card, keep your files sharp and clean.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MrPete posted:

If the files themselves are not shagged out, you could just get some new handles

Otherwise I quite like my Corradi (https://www.corradishop.com/) files.

Heard good things about Pferd (https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/files/) and Vallorbe (https://www.vallorbe.com/en-ch/products/files) as well but no first hand knowledge.

These look great, thanks!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bit the bullet and picked up a Daytona long reach jack. Where was this all my life?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bit the bullet and picked up a Daytona long reach jack. Where was this all my life?

Yup. Not cheap but better than everything on the market that costs less, and nearly everything on the market that costs more too

It's a long term tool investment as far as I'm concerned.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, not quite up to the level of the "pro" Daytona, but I needed the reach.

As far as I'm concerned it paid for itself the same afternoon with the amount of frustration it saved.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

Don't feel too bad, I think the product you got now beats the product of every year past. Feels like something that gets a little improved everytime I check it out. If I didn't already have a "good" jack I'd probably get it, the Daytona is better.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anybody have any experience with the Daytona aluminum jacks? There are ‘off road’ kits for them that look like a very interesting setup.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Weren’t the Daytona ones the ones that were made in the same factory as Snap-on and Snap-on got all butthurt about harboring freight advertising that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Weren’t the Daytona ones the ones that were made in the same factory as Snap-on and Snap-on got all butthurt about harboring freight advertising that?

That is my recollection.

But remember, and I have no idea if it's the case in this situation: chinese factory repeatability is often ATROCIOUS. So three different brands of the "same thing" made on the same line can be anything from great to barely usable based on how they "binned" the parts from A to F grade and then assembled the resulting stuff out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That farm dude just did a jack shoot out a few weeks ago, the Snap-on and Daytona were both in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A