Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an idea what this is? (In Ohio)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Inspector Hound posted:

Thank you all for the bone cleaning advice! I've got it outside on the porch right now, I'll decide on a course of action and get cleaning.[/timg]

I missed the previous suggestions but my wife has had great results washing with detergent first to degrease (with help from a brush as needed) and then soaking in a solution of half water half hydrogen peroxide for 12-24 hours. I'd post some before and after pictures but alas I'm currently away from my bones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Syenite posted:

Anyone have an idea what this is? (In Ohio)

looks like an ichneumon wasp of some sort.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Took this lil guy off the road today. 99% sure it's a baby bullsnake.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MagpieConcept posted:

That's a calfsnake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a :luca:snake

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MagpieConcept posted:

You're, uh. Squeezing him a little hard there.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Scarodactyl posted:

You're, uh. Squeezing him a little hard there.

I was walking my dog so i think i wasn't paying attention to how hard I grabbed him to get it away from my dog, whoops. That being said it was fine when I put him off in the grass, just mildly annoyed.

Thread note: Be sure to check the roads this time of year for reptiles. Roads keep heat longer than the surrounding grass so you're likely to see reptiles laying on the asphalt because it's warmer.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
:siren: Frog at my apartment window!!! :siren:

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Wall frog. My phone decided to focus on the back half of this pretty beast.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

BlancoNino posted:

Wall frog. My phone decided to focus on the back half of this pretty beast.
Eastern gray tree frog I believe

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Some kind of shingleback??
Look how fat and splendid this guy (gal?) is. There was bird poop on its tail which is, I guess, one of the hazards of a sedentary lifestyle

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tree Bucket posted:

Look how fat and splendid this guy (gal?) is. There was bird poop on its tail which is, I guess, one of the hazards of a sedentary lifestyle

lol i love it when australian animals get posted there's a whole weird world out there I have no idea about

great find

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You and me both little guy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tree Bucket posted:

It looks like a turd.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Literally A Person posted:

It looks like a turd.

NO IT DOESN-
Okay fine, it does look a bit like a turd.
The other good finds from this morning's walk are a lovely little flock of variegated fairy wrens, and a few very cautious roos.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Literally A Person posted:

It looks like a turd.

no it doesn't

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Shinglebacks (also known as stumpy tailed lizards/stumpies, two headed skink, pinecone lizard, bobtail or bogeye/boggi) are pretty interesting little critters - despite being lizards they give birth to live young and in fact in an example of convergent evolution they have placenta which helps them give birth to well developed young capable of surviving on their own.

They live a real long time and go back to the same mates each year usually, they've been observed to mourn if their long term mate dies. They also have inbuilt compasses to help them find their way back to their home range if they get lost; they have polarized vision and ability to detect magnetic fields to some extent.

They also have bright blue tongues that they display as a threat when startled.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Stoner Sloth posted:

same

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stoner Sloth posted:

Shinglebacks (also known as stumpy tailed lizards/stumpies, two headed skink, pinecone lizard, bobtail or bogeye/boggi) are pretty interesting little critters - despite being lizards they give birth to live young and in fact in an example of convergent evolution they have placenta which helps them give birth to well developed young capable of surviving on their own.

They live a real long time and go back to the same mates each year usually, they've been observed to mourn if their long term mate dies. They also have inbuilt compasses to help them find their way back to their home range if they get lost; they have polarized vision and ability to detect magnetic fields to some extent.

What interesting little lizards!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dervinosdoom posted:

What interesting little lizards turds!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mysterious caterpillar and mysterious nymph, any ideas? western pa

here's a cool green stinkbug who was very shy

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Think the second one is a baby lacewing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The caterpillar looks like an army cutworm, which is a massive crop pest in the US and has spread to other countries around the world.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

here's a cool green stinkbug who was very shy

Do you also feel like there are a ton more stink/shield bugs (aside from brown marmorated) this year in WPA? I'd only seen one green native one before this year, but could likely see several just in the backyard right now. Similar colorful ones like your photo too. They're pretty chill critters. :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

Do you also feel like there are a ton more stink/shield bugs (aside from brown marmorated) this year in WPA? I'd only seen one green native one before this year, but could likely see several just in the backyard right now. Similar colorful ones like your photo too. They're pretty chill critters. :3:

I haven't seen this guy ever before that I can recall, but he was so striking and very shy! Loved his little orange-red shoulder caps. I've seen a bunch of marmorated around but that's not so unusual, like you said.

This is the first year we've had our wildflower gardens growing like crazy so maybe that's why he came to visit!

Thanks for the other IDs, thread! Lacewings are pretty neat bugs. That nymph had places to be though so he was tough to get a good picture of, which was a shame because he looks pretty cool.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Stoner Sloth posted:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

met my first spotted lantern flies today

reeeeally wish they weren't so pretty because i stomped like 3 of them all in the parking lot

apparently they are just covering buildings downtown...i think they like the heat from the glass buildings, and with the rivers right there and lots of untouched trees and plants to live in, it's obvious as to why they've propagated so thoroughly

sucks to see

also they fly like poo poo, much more like cicadas than the moths they resemble

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

my cat is norris posted:

met my first spotted lantern flies today

reeeeally wish they weren't so pretty because i stomped like 3 of them all in the parking lot

apparently they are just covering buildings downtown...i think they like the heat from the glass buildings, and with the rivers right there and lots of untouched trees and plants to live in, it's obvious as to why they've propagated so thoroughly

sucks to see

also they fly like poo poo, much more like cicadas than the moths they resemble

Thinking of pinning some in a shadowbox if I ever come across them. I read that the brown marmorated stink bug's populations are on their way down and one theory is native and naturalized critters finally figured out they could eat them. REALLY hopping we see that with the lanternflies soon.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hello

large friend found today

banded orb weaver, argiope trifasciata

she is right by our mailboxes so I'm not sure the neighbors will love her as much as i do but i think she's up the hill enough and in the weeds enough to be okay

finally, not mowing that little bit of gently caress you hillside has paid off

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm in north Georgia, and we saw this large caterpillar yesterday. I've been told elsewhere that maybe it's an imperial moth. Is that right?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love orb weavers! Have them all over the property, especially this time of year. They eats lots of mosquitoes.

Here's my son helping to get a nighttime shot a few years back. Web was nearly three feet across

This green boi helped supervise the building of my garage in 2004:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hooah posted:

I'm in north Georgia, and we saw this large caterpillar yesterday. I've been told elsewhere that maybe it's an imperial moth. Is that right?

Yup, they are super variable as cats. Come in green, orange, brown, and black. That one is done eating and looking for a patch of loose earth to dig down to form its underground pupal chamber.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I can hear this picture

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Slo-Tek posted:

Yup, they are super variable as cats. Come in green, orange, brown, and black. That one is done eating and looking for a patch of loose earth to dig down to form its underground pupal chamber.

Thanks! Never seen a caterpillar anywhere near that size before!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

...I'm not really sure what's going on here.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

...I'm not really sure what's going on here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk_posture

Alternatively,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJE4RF4XbKE

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This a a darter (UK) or meadowhawk (US). Usually the last dragonflies of the season, they will be around until the frost takes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Found some fun guys in Shenandoah this last week

Pholcid whoops, Opilione with a teeny hitchhiker

Tussock moth of some sort

A mushroom buddy

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 19, 2022