Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonzo posted:

Honest question, how is Sirius surviving?

That's a good question because I distinctly remember that their initial sales pitch was "no ads" and we all know how that went. With all the podcasts and music and comedy you can basically stream for free I don't see how they're a thing at all anymore either. And anyone who pays for it just to listen to whatever Stern is now just lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good question because I distinctly remember that their initial sales pitch was "no ads" and we all know how that went. With all the podcasts and music and comedy you can basically stream for free I don't see how they're a thing at all anymore either. And anyone who pays for it just to listen to whatever Stern is now just lol.

Also apparently any time you have to renew your sub, if you call and say you're going to cancel because it's too expensive they'll give you insane discounts so no one is paying full price for the service.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirius must be running a skeleton crew over there, and they have enough active users through new car sales and existing customers who try to cancel (We'll give you Sirius for $50 a year, minus Stern, of course!) to make it valuable to advertisers.

It's pretty amazing considering how much free streaming content is available.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

To be fair, pretty much every single company does something similar. The Washington Post wanted to charge me $100 for the year to renew my online subscription and they knocked it down to $29 with basically zero effort on my part. Recruiting new customers is substantially more expensive than retaining existing ones.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 17, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Currently running $70 1gb down with unlimited data for 2 years from Comcast of all companies by using the same tactic. Right now I pay like $80 a year for 2 car radios from Sirius by calling in annually to cancel. To be honest outside of music I only listen some to Faction Talk (Bonfire and Sam &Jim). Use to listen to Debatable on Volume (top 5 Tuesday was always fun to listen to while running after work), but Sirius pretty much scrapped the whole channel.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Hediumnism

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

thumper57 posted:

Hediumnism

Rotisserrierie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

haljordan posted:

Rotisserrierie

rear end treeks

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

His teeth are yell like pee

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I think Bob Levy is basically Jeffrey Dahmer if he read a joke book. And, ya know, I know that sounds a little harsh, but I love the guy. Ya know, He gets out on the intranet and stalks these women and throws out this web of deceit and sleaziness and hair dye and bad coke, whiskey beer breath, cheap loving target shirts, coupons for Sizzler's 2 for 1 steak on a Wednesday. His $40,000 house just outside of Philly, that somehow has a built-in pool. I have no idea what the gently caress that looks like. His poor child who's being raised by a father who's just not there and a mother who hates being with the Father. The Father is in a basement, it's damp. Clearly doesn't have the proper heat or air conditioning. Somehow he gets over to this disgusting, jizz-drenched, stinky, whiskey-sobbing, computer board and types out "Who's out there? Who's out there in loving Virgin-Creepland that I can try to gently caress with my web of grossness." And eventually, he gets some takers. Some poor women who have a background that's clearly troubling. This girl has father issues. He's clearly a mad Irish drunk. She has dyed black hair. She's goth. She's like the fat, gay guy's son on the Sopranos. She's probably poo poo in the gym shower several times and she tells Levy this on the computer and Levy goes, "Ohh, Ohh, perfect, perfect. What do you like honey? Do you like the Howard Stern Show?" She's like, "Yeah, I like the Howard Stern Show. I'm a stripper, I'd love to get on." "Ohh, I can get you on the Howard Stern Show. How do you wanna get on?" "I dunno, I kinda like big guys." "Perfect, perfect. Say you like fat guys, Artie's a fat gently caress. You know Artie? Say you like fat guys, I'll get you on the show, I'll drive you up there, you give me a handjob. You can say and I'll get you in the studio and I'll get there and there'll be free food and I'll take some free food home to feed my kid who hasn't eaten in a week cause I cashed my check from Chuckles in Mineola to buy coke from the guy on the LIE who sells the oranges. Ya know, I'll pick you up, I'll pick you up. What's your address?" "Oh okay, here's my address." "Okay, okay, how old are ya?" "I'm seventeen." "Say you're twenty, say you're twenty, say you're twenty." And then Levy picks her up and plies her drugs and gets her up here and she's stoned out of her mind. She goes, "I like fat guys! I like fat guys." Howard and Gary fall for it like the suckers that they are and they get her in here and she's in a bikini and I'm giving her my number and Levy's outside getting free crumpets for the family. Strategically, he made this on cupcake Wednesday cause he knew we'd have a lot of food out there, that's free for him stuff in his three-dollar leather jacket pocket. And this is what happened, Jon. You asked me what happened. This is what happened. This is where Jen came from. It's Levy's web of deceit that he throws out to the intranet and comes back with these poor, pale, scared women who belong to whiskey dicks car clubs and bourbon street flophouses and they come in here and pretend they like me, just to get air time, just get to get plugs. It's insulting. I don't like her and I don't like Bob and I'm insulted by the entire show. And the implication that I, because I may be slightly overweight, need to get laid through some sort of fetish contest; this is horrible. I'm dating several women. They're all nice, they're classy, they have jobs, and they're all above twenty years old. And none of them, NONE of them, know Bob Levy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Now that's a loving promo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Say you're twenty, say you're twenty, say you're twenty" is the most biting part of that rant lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
In the middle of the whole rant "...and I'm giving her my number..." lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Free crumpets for the family loving lmao

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Artie can be so loving brutal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What the gently caress is that, a promo for Arties new book?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

"Say you're twenty, say you're twenty, say you're twenty" is the most biting part of that rant lol

I particularly love Gary's "we don't know that" after the allegation that the father is a drunk. loving doofus.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Artie on "The Wrap Up Show" after the segment with the girl that was into fat guys, and which prompted the infamous "bro fight" the next day.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It was magic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I like the phish channel and you can get lots of sports pbps

This is in the car which I spend too much time in due to my job

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Artie on "The Wrap Up Show" after the segment with the girl that was into fat guys, and which prompted the infamous "bro fight" the next day.

It also fully kicked off Artie's poo poo talking of the Hack Pack... which was totally fair. They were F list comics touring vaudeville era blue jokes under the label "as heard on Howard Stern."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wLvAaZ-lQ

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's poetry

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lifespan posted:

It also fully kicked off Artie's poo poo talking of the Hack Pack... which was totally fair. They were F list comics touring vaudeville era blue jokes under the label "as heard on Howard Stern."

Did anyone here actually go to a killers of comedy show?
Was it any good? I feel like even if the actual jokes part of it were terrible, poo poo like beet doing jokes and eating blue cheese out of Blue Iris' rear end would probably be pretty hilarious.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I definitely never did, but I enjoyed the recordings of Beet's and Riley's "comedy" while drunken bros screamed at them. Did Levy ever do the blue cheese thing with Blue Iris, because I always heard that was his finale with some random chick that would agree to it (ie a "Blue Iris type")?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Did anyone here actually go to a killers of comedy show?
Was it any good? I feel like even if the actual jokes part of it were terrible, poo poo like beet doing jokes and eating blue cheese out of Blue Iris' rear end would probably be pretty hilarious.

"They're called the 'Killers of Comedy' because they all have AIDS"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They're called Killers of Comedy because laughter goes there to die.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I definitely never did, but I enjoyed the recordings of Beet's and Riley's "comedy" while drunken bros screamed at them. Did Levy ever do the blue cheese thing with Blue Iris, because I always heard that was his finale with some random chick that would agree to it (ie a "Blue Iris type")?

Yeah every time they played clips from those shows, the entire audience was just screaming non loving stop no matter who was on stage

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I knew a guy who went and all he really remarked on was about how bad Beet smelled.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

I knew a guy who went and all he really remarked on was about how bad Beet smelled.

Who, me?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Szyznyk posted:

It’s not Beet’s fault. Dominic poo poo in his pants.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
If anyone gets VICE TV, or whatever its called, they have a series called "The Dark Side of Comedy" and did "The Artie Lange Story"
It was interesting but nothing anyone who listened to the show wouldnt have known. Doug Goodstein and Tim Sabian gave interviews...clearly the only stern associated people they could get to talk.

But really this was just a reason to post the real Artie Lange Story, starting Cataline Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axoMkmE5o_A

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

That’s a great avatar it is.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i'd rather be a 5'3" than a man who's a childishly picky eater. short kings can be kings, but nobody respects dudes who are childishly picky eaters

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

If anyone gets VICE TV, or whatever its called, they have a series called "The Dark Side of Comedy" and did "The Artie Lange Story"
It was interesting but nothing anyone who listened to the show wouldnt have known. Doug Goodstein and Tim Sabian gave interviews...clearly the only stern associated people they could get to talk.

But really this was just a reason to post the real Artie Lange Story, starting Cataline Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axoMkmE5o_A

I saw the episode about a week ago and I liked it, and I thought the commentary by Debra Wilson and Orlando Jones was especially interesting even if it was less recent. Of course there are other people it would have been amazing to hear from (Teddy, for example).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh yeah I all poo poo post all time some wing all full forms 500 pounds every day

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Of course there are other people it would have been amazing to hear from (Teddy, for example).

They couldn't find him, he was at Bloomies.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I tried to watch this a week ago and the VICE website is such a piece of poo poo and wouldn't let me watch it even after logging in with my cable TV account. then the other night I was flipping through the channels and found it airing at midnight on the VICE channel. turns out that even though I subscribe to the bottom of the barrel cable package with FIOS, I actually get the VICE channel. so I watched the Dice episode at 11 and then the Artie episode at 12 and really enjoyed both of them. I think they did a pretty great job overall on the doco

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Grant DaNasty posted:

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh yeah I all poo poo post all time some wing all full forms 500 pounds every day

Both of these were gold.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a show on HBO called Winning Time and it's all about the beginning of the Lakers dynasty in the 80's. It has Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar and Pat Riley. I know it will never happen because the timelines dont match up but it would be great if they covered Magic's late night show anfld Howard relentlessly mocking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There's a show on HBO called Winning Time and it's all about the beginning of the Lakers dynasty in the 80's. It has Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabar and Pat Riley. I know it will never happen because the timelines dont match up but it would be great if they covered Magic's late night show anfld Howard relentlessly mocking him.

Am I crazy or would Jesse Eisenberg make a good younger Howard Stern?