Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Welp, about a week before her first birthday, we're at the point where we definitely can't just sit the kiddo down on the floor and trust she'll stay in that general vicinity. Exciting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Emily Spinach posted:

Welp, about a week before her first birthday, we're at the point where we definitely can't just sit the kiddo down on the floor and trust she'll stay in that general vicinity. Exciting times.
drat, you made it that far? Congrats, I’m jealous. Mine just turned one and she has been wandering all over the place for like 3+ months now. Walking seems to be right around the corner now too…

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Any advice for dealing with a 4-week old that will not sleep in a crib/bassinet? My wife and I are currently sleeping in shifts, as he will only sleep while being held or in a swing.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Fuuucccckkk HFM

Nthing this sentiment. The skin on my hands and feet sloughed off, it was horrifying.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

fourwood posted:

drat, you made it that far? Congrats, I’m jealous. Mine just turned one and she has been wandering all over the place for like 3+ months now. Walking seems to be right around the corner now too…

Yeah, she was scooting a little, but crawling didn't really click until last weekend. She was already letting us pull her up to stand, though, and just this weekend she started pushing herself up onto her feet.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Dear kids, if you could both nap on both weekend days for a dang weekend I would very much appreciate it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BadSamaritan posted:

Dear kids, if you could both nap on both weekend days for a dang weekend I would very much appreciate it.

We can’t even get 1 nowadays much less both. If she does nap it’s because she passed out on the couch at 330pm for 30 minutes and ended up delaying bedtime by 2 hours.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

pinarello dogman posted:

Any advice for dealing with a 4-week old that will not sleep in a crib/bassinet? My wife and I are currently sleeping in shifts, as he will only sleep while being held or in a swing.

This was us. We slept in shifts for most of the first three months. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice for you.

Oh, we did figure that it was reflux, and reflux meds seemed to help later. Although more reading suggested that they're pretty untested in that age range and a little controversial.

It gets better...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My toddler is mad at me because I stopped him from sprinting around blindly with a blanket on his head.

He had already busted his lip doing it, I would have thought that would have dampened his enthusiasm but nope!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

pinarello dogman posted:

Like Lead out, about all I have to say is that it gets better. Our baby basically would only sleep on our chests or on the dreaded Boppy lounger for the first month+. Eventually she started sleeping in the bassinet but I’m not sure I could tell you what age that was.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Thanks for the feedback both of you, even if it is just to wait it out. Can't imagine how single parents survive.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My kid is now putting her stuffed animals to sleep and then getting upset and asking why they aren’t taking a nap

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nachos posted:

My kid is now putting her stuffed animals to sleep and then getting upset and asking why they aren’t taking a nap

It's always darkly hilarious to see your kid play through one of your own frustrations with them.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

pinarello dogman posted:

Figure out how to stabilize yourself, so you strike a balance between sleeping and not turning.

Our daughter would sleep best on my chest, and only wake up to feed with that arrangement. Luckily, I don’t move while sleeping, and can sleep well when slightly elevated. So I slept like a goddamn pharaoh for the first few months, with our firstborn clasped securely in my hands

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pinarello dogman posted:

Tried anything like this? I figure it might work if he is looking for skin contact.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LAZY-BUDDY-Baby-Bedside-Sleeper-with-2-Replaceable-Sheets-Baby-Bedside-Bassinet-Crib/855208015

Should prevent many SIDS risks compared to having baby on your chest, like the risk of rolling on top of baby.

We didn't have this problem with ours so I can't really come up with much actionable advice.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Is it normal for a two year old to want to hug, or offer hugs, to every other child he meets? It's become a bit of a funny obsession of his but I worry about the worried looks of over-5's as this ball of energy storms over arms extended thinking everybody agrees on this being the universal language of "give hug now."

Also what the heck is with all these parents just entering public spaces with their children having a pronounced and obvious dry cough/bronchitis infection?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

A Bad King posted:

Is it normal for a two year old to want to hug, or offer hugs, to every other child he meets? It's become a bit of a funny obsession of his but I worry about the worried looks of over-5's as this ball of energy storms over arms extended thinking everybody agrees on this being the universal language of "give hug now."

Also what the heck is with all these parents just entering public spaces with their children having a pronounced and obvious dry cough/bronchitis infection?

Yes that is very normal. Our kids don’t do it but we are greeted every day by at least 2 kids in daycare who give them hugs. It’s very cute.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mind_Taker posted:

Yes that is very normal. Our kids don’t do it but we are greeted every day by at least 2 kids in daycare who give them hugs. It’s very cute.

I love his love, but I mean...I see a lot of "whoa there," dread with the older kids. I should just lighten up and appreciate this age.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My 2 year old daughter wants to hug all of the animals and bugs she sees. Sometimes she likes other people too

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Went to a birthday party for our older daughter's day care class mate last weekend. 2 year old was explicitly invited, so we brought him with.

He was being a little shy to begin with... lots of people he didn't know, grown ups and kids. But then someone else arrived with a younger sibling, and said younger sibling also happens to be his classmate (lots of similar age gaps at day care). He made a bee line for him, with a big smile on his face, and gave him a great big hug before his classmate could even get out of his stroller.

Was cute as gently caress.

A Bad King posted:

I love his love, but I mean...I see a lot of "whoa there," dread with the older kids. I should just lighten up and appreciate this age.

There's a fine line between wildly cute and "I literally just told my 5 year old that she shouldn't touch people without permission."

IMO that's the biggest struggle we have with the whole situation... trying to balance teaching the older kids that they have bodily autonomy, and that they need to respect that of others, but also "well they're 2 they don't understand that yet."

edit: well hell, that's kind of the story of the younger sibling in general. "But 2 just did it!" Yea I know, he doesn't understand that yet, and we need your help to set a good example.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 19, 2022

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We've been teaching our almost 3yo about body autonomy and to be able to say "Stop!" with her palm raised when she feels uncomfortable.

It slightly backfired because she does it now when we ask her to pick up her toys and stuff. But it's cute as hell.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Sorry kid, still gotta wipe your butt.

I understand the need to teach bodily autonomy but it feels fairly hypocritical at my kids’ current ages (<3.5) because there is still a large contingent of things that have to be done by key caregivers whether or not they’re on board for their own health/safety.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nachos posted:

My 2 year old daughter wants to hug all of the animals and bugs she sees. Sometimes she likes other people too

I love my daughter's reactions to bugs

EUGH AUGH A BUG IT LOOKS WEIRD

...*stares closely* It's... beautiful...

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I was really proud of my daughter at daycare dropoff one morning, when she was 3. Her classmate made a beeline for her, arms wide for a hug, and my daughter calmly put up her arm and said "It's not hug time right now."

Her friend looked crushed. I did feel kind of bad for her but hug time did, indeed, happen later!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hope I’m doing the right thing with my 20 month old in regards to bodily autonomy. For example, I ask him if we can get him dressed for the day and explain that I’m going to change his pants. Unfortunately he always says “no!” but of course I do it anyway lol. I’m hopeful that one day soon he’ll be a more active/willing participant in getting dressed.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

remigious posted:

I hope I’m doing the right thing with my 20 month old in regards to bodily autonomy. For example, I ask him if we can get him dressed for the day and explain that I’m going to change his pants. Unfortunately he always says “no!” but of course I do it anyway lol. I’m hopeful that one day soon he’ll be a more active/willing participant in getting dressed.

Have you offered them multiple choices in clothes? It's fun to watch as they suffer from indecision on whether they want to wear the shirt with the doggies or the shirt with the train on this specific afternoon. Then, self-pride as they point at the dog or train and announce that yes, this is their choice.

Brawnfire posted:

I love my daughter's reactions to bugs

EUGH AUGH A BUG IT LOOKS WEIRD

...*stares closely* It's... beautiful...

Spiders are especially wonderous! They help keep the house clean of pests and try to stay out of our way!

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 19, 2022

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Yeah the feelings of hypocrisy are weird and real. No one should touch you without consent but we're still going to bodily move you if necessary.

One of my friends gave us the "kid's guide to anarchy" picture book. It's a cute and cuddly guide to things like wearing what you want, being your own person, and loudly proclaiming NO BATHTIME EVER AGAIN because authority figures can suck it. I am begging (these) anarchists to meet one child ever.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah the feelings of hypocrisy are weird and real. No one should touch you without consent but we're still going to bodily move you if necessary.

If we did nothing without affirmed consent between the ages of 20mo-3yr there would be a lot of child mortality in the world.

Just today there was a death wish to leap three stair-lengths down from the stairwell because ???, and that is why they need authoritative sources of information to guide them from immediate unknowing self-harm.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I have single friends posting poo poo about teaching kids bodily autonomy on FB and I :lol: every time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's hard to get out of the habit of asking for permission for things that literally must happen - diaper changes, clothes changes, tooth brushing. I've found that you can give them some agency there though. Things like "Should daddy brush his teeth with you? Do you want to get dressed in your room or downstairs?" Etc etc. Hard to remember all the time though.

But if I ask if I can give her a kiss and she says no, that's an easy no kiss scenario.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

A Bad King posted:

Have you offered them multiple choices in clothes? It's fun to watch as they suffer from indecision on whether they want to wear the shirt with the doggies or the shirt with the train on this specific afternoon. Then, self-pride as they point at the dog or train and announce that yes, this is their choice.

This seems so obvious but no, I haven’t tried it! I will present him with some pajama choices tonight and see how that goes :)

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Last night was the first time my 2 year old daughter called out "daddy" for something while lying in her bed. Since she does not get out of her bed for anything after being tucked in (I guess we are lucky in this regard), she prefers to yell her requests. Usually, it's "momma," but I guess she got a break and I was called up. Now I have to reserve a small part of my not-quite-asleep brain for listening out for her in addition to preparing to wake up to feed the 2 month old.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

remigious posted:

This seems so obvious but no, I haven’t tried it! I will present him with some pajama choices tonight and see how that goes :)

Some of my advice regarding this, make sure to limit it to two choices at the most, and be sure to be patient regarding their decision, given that in my experience my two year old spends 5-6 minutes with an internal monologue externally verbalized with "hmms" and "huuuhs" complete with relishing hand gestures weighing the pros and cons of each and changing his decisions twice before settling on the Monkey See Monkey Do Monkey Gets In Trouble Too paired with the Chicago Bears shorts.

Bonus if you find one of those tiny changing stations with a mirror at their height where you can hang your preselected choices for them, where they can grab their choices at a time and weigh their options with minimum need for the parent to collaborate.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

A Bad King posted:

Bonus if you find one of those tiny changing stations with a mirror at their height where you can hang your preselected choices for them, where they can grab their choices at a time and weigh their options with minimum need for the parent to collaborate.

I don't even want kids and this makes my ovaries ache :kimchi:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

On the topic of bodily autonomy, my neighbor's kindergartener has a nose ring now and was showing it off to all the kids at the bus stop. Unsure if it's real or not, since I haven't had a chance to ask. But it's made us think how we'll handle the inevitable query from our 6yo daughter about getting one herself. We're on the fence. On one side, her body her choice. On the other, she's too young for a nose piercing, right?

I think we'd ultimately counter with "how about an ear piercing instead" since she doesn't have those. But is that limiting autonomy?

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 19, 2022

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Wow, a real nose piercing at 6 sounds wild to me.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"Nope, you're not getting a skin-altering procedure while you're still growing. Remember Grandpa's tattoo that he got when he was a 5yo, how stretched and wonky it looked? Now imagine yourself with a third nostril."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Piercings close on their own without jewlery in days to weeks right? Basically 100% reversible so long as you don't pierce an eyeball? Kinda weird but, eh

I would start with ear piercings now and "if you're good" then allow them to do it at 7? Will probably have lost interest by that time. I kind of recall a couple of girls in my class having ear studs causing bleeding when they got caught, but nothing extreme.

Does the school have rules about visible piercings? Seems like it would get ripped out during recess during jump rope or whatever random physical activity. PE teacher might not allow her to do certain activities due to liability/injury risk unless you had a religious exemption

Maybe "you can get one for winter break, but then you have to take it out before school starts ___" *because made up rule about school piercings etc. I would make them pay for it out of their allowance though

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 19, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Theoretically they close, but my wife has visible holes with weird lumps from the one year her ears were pierced in her tweens, so not always perfectly.

Also guess who has discovered "being a copycat". Hooooray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I think it depends from the piercing and the person. My brother had a variety of holes on his face, some of which are still usable for jewelry even though he hasn't worn anything in 5+ years. Other closed up within months.