Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Questioning management? Have a point!

But doctor, I am Management!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pyrtanis posted:

where I live now it gets -40 C in the winter so no, I don't lmao but I used to live in Tucson where that was feasible so I get it

Apparently the house I'm buying only cost $200 plus a month to keep heated to 23C all winter in upstate New York. I spent the last ten years throwing $400 a month at electricity from November to March and am looking forward to that more than anything else.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

One place I briefly worked at had a policy where if you had perfect attendance for A YEAR, they gave you an extra HALF DAY paid off.

I worked retail at a place that based whether you get your 25 cent annual raise on your employee evaluation. There were a few different things rated 1-5 with 3 being 'meets expectations'. Attendance was one of them. Perfect attendance got you a 3. I asked the store manager if I needed to come in and work for free on my day off to get a better score.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

But doctor, I am Management!

Doctor's appointment? That's another point!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, there's the whole thing where there's basically no way to really accumulate POSITIVE points in these stupid systems. Learning new poo poo, staying late, coming in on your day off, etc.

One place I briefly worked at had a policy where if you had perfect attendance for A YEAR, they gave you an extra HALF DAY paid off.
I worked at a place where perfect attendance (defined as clocking in by 8:30 every work day) for a month would get you $50 in cash the next month.

There were 80 employees and a single extremely picky biometric time clock.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

secular woods sex posted:

I worked at a place where perfect attendance (defined as clocking in by 8:30 every work day) for a month would get you $50 in cash the next month.

There were 80 employees and a single extremely picky biometric time clock.

This actually doesn’t bother me. At least they’re paying you for your time making sure you’re in at the start of business and I could see that being worth it for some places.

Figure showing up 15 minutes early a day to make sure you get clocked in times 20 work days in a month comes out to 5 hours extra time, effectively $10/hr. Not worth it if you’re well paid but attractive if you’re only making about that.

Wouldn’t do it for a factory, would do it for a 7/11.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
It was a pretty decent incentive, considering most people made $10-13/hour.

It did cause problems when the line was 20 people deep at 8:27 and the biometric time clock refused to accept a handprint because someone got a new ring.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Had a meeting with the boss today and he said keeping the lines and cold room clean aren't my job. He's gonna talk to the restaurant manager. So that's a relief. I hate reporting someone like that but goddamn.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Had a meeting with the boss today and he said keeping the lines and cold room clean aren't my job. He's gonna talk to the restaurant manager. So that's a relief. I hate reporting someone like that but goddamn.

You've made an enemy for life.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Outrail posted:

You've made an enemy for life.

Not only that, but the enemy is a chef.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TheSpartacus posted:

Not only that, but the enemy is a chef.

Nah. This was the restaurant manager. The chef already hates me. The restaurant manager isn't much of an rear end in a top hat, just very very dumb. He joined Avon in TYOOL 2020.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 16, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

MLMs are big in Japan... Do they advertise via Fax?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Aren't MLMs kind of big everywhere? Fortunately, I've had very limited interactions with anybody directly involved.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Aren't MLMs kind of big everywhere? Fortunately, I've had very limited interactions with anybody directly involved.

AFAIK I've never encountered one in my life, but I'm from Germany.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

AFAIK I've never encountered one in my life, but I'm from Germany.

Not that this specifically relates to Germany, but MLMs/Pyramids have modernized pretty efficiently. Instead of going door to door or hosting product parties, they put their wares on Amazon/Private sales sites. Instead of trying to recruit friends/family, they advertise recruitment as an influencer.

It's the same scheme, but for the 21st century. It's just harder to spot.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

Not that this specifically relates to Germany, but MLMs/Pyramids have modernized pretty efficiently. Instead of going door to door or hosting product parties, they put their wares on Amazon/Private sales sites. Instead of trying to recruit friends/family, they advertise recruitment as an influencer.

Oh, I lied. My mom got roped into Tupperware once. That's definitely still around here, but over social media, which I don't understand cause I'm a goon

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tetrabor posted:

They also target people through Indeed and Zip Recruiter and Linkedin, trying to disguise themselves and their amazing opportunities as real businesses. You can almost tell because not only will you be targeted outside of your general job skills, but when you google the company in question their websites are always oddly vague about exactly what it is they do and are filled with catch all buzzwords, stock photos of people "succeeding" and basically no information about the company itself or its history. When you search the company location on maps, it's always some nondescript warehouse or some poo poo in an office park but never actually an office. One that i looked up was some person's house.

Sometimes, they list them as (in my case) "Sr. Graphic Designer" or "Art Director" and (another red flag) it pays 85k a year or something. I learned to weed them out pretty quick and just used them to fill in my job search requirements for UEI.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Someone hit a parked car with rented work equipment and broke the rental last night. While trying to drive from the passenger seat. No points for guessing the reason why!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

A Stupid Baby posted:

Someone hit a parked car with rented work equipment and broke the rental last night. While trying to drive from the passenger seat. No points for guessing the reason why!

do i lose points for having to ask why because i can't figure this out

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

blatman posted:

do i lose points for having to ask why because i can't figure this out

Look, sometimes your realdoll is the only one in the house with their license clean and clear.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grief stricken over the Queen?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Oh, I lied. My mom got roped into Tupperware once. That's definitely still around here, but over social media, which I don't understand cause I'm a goon

My mom still has tupperware from the late 70s/early 80s. poo poo's indestructible. They actually cared about quality back then.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It was Amway, not Avon. So even dumber.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

It was Amway, not Avon. So even dumber.

Sign up with a knife company and try to sell your chef enemy on a ceramic knife set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k
WHAT A GOOD KNIFE

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr.Smasher posted:

My mom still has tupperware from the late 70s/early 80s. poo poo's indestructible. They actually cared about quality back then.

They worked out that it's cheaper for them to sell a worse product with a "lifetime warranty" on it (that is almost impossible to claim on) that a quality product.
I actually saw what looked like a 90s Tupperware cake box in an op shop for $7 the other day and snapped it up for my mum, usually the people running the joint never let anything with a real brand name onto the shelves with a price tag of less than $20.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Sign up with a knife company and try to sell your chef enemy on a ceramic knife set:

WHAT A GOOD KNIFE

Chef Tony or die.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

A Stupid Baby posted:

I read your post to my husband and he did the confused dog head tilt, we both need answers

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Pyrtanis posted:

I read your post to my husband and he did the confused dog head tilt, we both need answers

It's a time paradox story.
Someone went back in time and showed the driver that post, which confused them enough that they crashed.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pyrtanis posted:

Someone got drunk and crashed some work equipment into a parked car. Based on the post wording it was the OP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it was me, and I'll do it again

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Sorry I thought that would be more clear but maybe I'm just used to this happening. The reason is (probably) alcohol, or at least this happened during an alcohol-fueled event, which would have been helpful information for me to include

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Stupid Baby posted:

Sorry I thought that would be more clear but maybe I'm just used to this happening. The reason is (probably) alcohol, or at least this happened during an alcohol-fueled event, which would have been helpful information for me to include

Yeah, but what equipment? You're scant on details

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You should've offered a prize. Then maybe there would've been enough incentive to figure this out

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Takes No Damage posted:

WHAT A GOOD KNIFE

I already know its those scumfucks at Cutco without even clicking it.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Reading about points systems is like reading about the axes on the walls in the Cuban sugar mills. Like sure, I guess that makes sense if you have to work there, but it's still loving horrendous.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

frest posted:

the axes on the walls in the Cuban sugar mills.

Can I get a quick history lesson please?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can I get a quick history lesson please?

Same. Guessing this is some grim poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sugar mills crush cane to produce the sugar water, which is then boiled down to a syrup which is then either refined further to make sugar or made into booze.

The "presses" are basically rollers that rotate against each other. Think those old-timey clothes wringers, but designed to crush a woody, bamboo-like plant flat to extract 100% of the liquid in it. Often steam powered later on.

So you're standing there feeding cane into this, slip up, and your hand goes in. And then your wrist follows it in. And then your upper arm. An then your elbow. And your shoulder/head are getting closer and closer and you're screaming for your coworkers.

That's what the ax is for.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Now that's working smarter, not harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Help!
*Coworker brings axe*
Give it to me! C'mon hurry!
*Confused coworker reluctantly hands over axe*
Man that's a sweet axe, always wanted to try holding one of those...
*Dies*

Yeah I can see the appeal.