Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm surprised season 4 is out so soon. Did they film 3 and 4 at the same time or something?

Yeah basically they JUST started shooting in Europe when covid hit so it took them longer to come back than usual, in that time they wrote s4 and then shot them together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I am hype for s4

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Tonights the night! So excited!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The beginning of the end. Looking forward to this swan song. The show has been consistently brilliant and I trust Glover's decision to end it while the writing is still strong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man this opening scene is incredible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
funny that they wrote and shot both seasons before any of it aired because the premiere definitely felt like a self-conscious attempt to make the most Atlanta-rear end episode of Atlanta ever Atlanta’d after the diversions of s3

and it was loving fantastic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, the second episode was…..I think it’s best to let you all experience that one for yourselves, actually.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

I have never felt more attacked while laughing hysterically at a line like I did with "I got this air fryer but then remembered I have an oven".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Escobarbarian posted:

was this episode shown before? why have i seen this before

Darius trying to return some kitchen thing during a riot & an old white woman on a scooter gets all stabby?

e: is it based on real events?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Meanwhile, the second episode was…..I think it’s best to let you all experience that one for yourselves, actually.

..... Jesus gently caress

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Darius trying to return some kitchen thing during a riot & an old white woman on a scooter gets all stabby?

Yup
https://www.insider.com/target-wheelchair-jennifer-knife-looters-gypsy-rose-twitter-fire-extinguisher-2020-5

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

loving hell

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lmao I need to go back to therapy..

Also loved the It Follows sendup with the Darius b plot

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 17, 2022

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Episode 2 might be one of my favorite punchlines in television history.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ending of the second episode has me legitimately mouth agape.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s a wrap party! Lmao. I am still processing. I think I need to rewatch that ep asap

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Earn.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I love how the second episode played off the show's established willingness to tell stories that don't involve the main cast. Even when they had the author talk about how she works at the airport, I was like "hmm interesting seed to plant to have this parallel/intersect with the Earn stuff, wonder how that all comes together" which made the punchline of "Oh, Earn is just straight-up loving with this woman's entire existence" that much better

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Now we know what it would be like if Nathan wasn’t actually For You. And it’s terrifying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished the first episode and goddamn that was good stuff, and the way everything came together at the end was fantastic. Wonderful mix of magical realism and deeply unsettling horror.

Edit: HOLY poo poo episode two :xd:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 18, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

Now we know what it would be like if Nathan wasn’t actually For You. And it’s terrifying.

Hahaha I had exactly the same thought

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is this a scavenger hunt?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I have a lot of thoughts on this show and how great it is but all I could think about during the 2nd episode of S4 was if the therapist was the VO guy who does the intro about Viewer Discretion Advised etc

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

S4E1 was giving me some real Stranger Than Fiction vibes with Blueblood essentially narrating Al’s every action. I thought it might end up being darker than what it did, but I like how it landed with the whole crew reuniting. Also really dug the purgatoryesque plot involving Earn and Van, but I felt like I was missing something as a person who’s never lived in Atlanta. Is Atlantic Station a popular meetup spot where you tend to see everyone you know or just a labyrinthine nightmare like so many big city shopping districts? Or both?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
What’s up with the fuzzy damp pitch black exit hallway?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

I really dug that Blue Blood's wife seemed as confused as everybody, and Paper Boi's reaction was simply,"Oh, you gently caress with Blue Blood too?" like okay after that weird rear end day anything seems reasonable!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yep. Happened during I want to say the looting in Minnesota

Edit: yea here you go

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-2180552/Video-Woman-wheelchair-sprayed-fire-extinguisher-Minneapolis.html

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

TheBizzness posted:

I think it was a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Backrooms, especially with the talk about the wet carpeting.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 19, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Al’s disappointment at being the fifth person to make it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I love Al’s disappointment at being the fifth person to make it

That whole subversion was kind of neat. The audience is prepped, just like him, to think it's some super special spiritual journey as he's feeling burned out. And it turns out that it's just a regular rear end scavenger hunt, but it still ends up nice on a personal level for Al. A nice episode. Also I liked the skeleton joke :).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Be honest: if you had the money and the power Earn does at this point, would you do something like that to people who have wronged you?

I definitely would and I’m not proud of it. But they’d have to do a lot more than what this lady did

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Considering the Princeton events, I wonder what would have happened if he made the trip. That lady had the bad luck of also being the recipient of that wrath.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It would be interesting. I'm not doing a full audit of Earn's time on the show, but I feel like he usually just gets quietly mad and lets its build up. Like this episode. So he probably would have just not talked and been real pissed off at the panel and done something to tank it at the end.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Watching that racist lady read her book was like the ending to Requiem for a Dream.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Watching that racist lady read her book was like the ending to Requiem for a Dream.

I did like the little payoff that she thought her knockoff of Rudolph and the Ugly Duckling could be the next Harry Potter.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The ending of the second episode has me legitimately mouth agape.

:lol: Glad I wasn't the only one. As soon as the wannabe author tried to get into the library with her dog and made the assertion about the airport, I figured, "Oh, this is just some universal karma" and then... That was some straight up Cartman poo poo.

I also figure the bit about wanting to take Lottie to Sesame Place was a riff on this: https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/sesame-place-incident-racism-black-girls-snubbed-rosita/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LMAO this week’s episode. I may need help coming up with a quote for the thread title because there were so many good lines

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1. Young Street
2. OG
3. Ice Cube's best friend in Are We There Yet? 5

Terrifying.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

LMAO this week’s episode. I may need help coming up with a quote for the thread title because there were so many good lines

"I want to experience D'Angelo"

Anything else good I can think of is way too spoilery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

S4E1 was giving me some real Stranger Than Fiction vibes with Blueblood essentially narrating Al’s every action. I thought it might end up being darker than what it did, but I like how it landed with the whole crew reuniting. Also really dug the purgatoryesque plot involving Earn and Van, but I felt like I was missing something as a person who’s never lived in Atlanta. Is Atlantic Station a popular meetup spot where you tend to see everyone you know or just a labyrinthine nightmare like so many big city shopping districts? Or both?

I lived in Atlanta when they finished Atlantic Station and for several years after. Unless they've expanded it SIGNIFICANTLY it was not an easy place to get lost in. It was over a decade ago, so idk. Maybe the underground parking late at night, since it had so few 'landmarks.' But still, it was smaller than the parking lot at most malls.

I was a poor college student, so I can't say that I was there often or running into any friends. But oddly enough, the only celebrity sightings I had in Atlanta were at Atlantic Station. Seinfeld going to the movie theater, Michael Jordan at a nearby hotel, and T.I. buying beer at Publix. I chalked it up to the fact that it was new at the time, since there were bigger better actual malls in the city (with more stores...) and the Atlanta nightlife was mostly in Buckhead.