Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IIRC back to the future II also had an undertone of Marty McFly having to work for a Japanese boss in the future and know some Japanese too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Weyland Yutani was also 80s racist fear of Japan

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ikanreed posted:

Weyland Yutani was also 80s racist fear of Japan

I don't know if you can call it racist when the Japanese mourn it never came to be because of the "lost decade".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Last Chance posted:

IIRC back to the future II also had an undertone of Marty McFly having to work for a Japanese boss in the future and know some Japanese too

Doesn't that also happen in Part III where Past Doc comments on the electronics being garbage because they were made in Japan, but Marty says that all the best stuff is made there now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAYmNMZkWlU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LashLightning posted:

I don't know if you can call it racist when the Japanese mourn it never came to be because of the "lost decade".

It also wasn't just Japan. People thought Germany was going to take over (economically) in the 90s, like when they bought the power plant on The Simpsons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I like the dynamic between the two Beths.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aces High posted:

Doesn't that also happen in Part III where Past Doc comments on the electronics being garbage because they were made in Japan, but Marty says that all the best stuff is made there now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLHs7RoorU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LashLightning posted:

There were a ton of hate crimes committed against anyone of Asian descent during that time, it was a pretty racist fear.

"On June 19, 1982, a Chinese American man named Vincent Chin went with friends to a strip club in Detroit to celebrate his upcoming wedding. That night, two white men who apparently thought Chin was Japanese beat him to death. At the killers’ trial, the men each received a $3,000 fine and zero prison time."

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 14, 2022

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

While obviously the speculative fiction of BttF2/Aliens and the racist violence described above are linked by the same general idea/knowledge of thriving Japanese business and its potential effect on the global economy, I wouldn't say that this means that fiction was racist or playing on the fears of racists. That strikes me as similar to saying the portrayal of black presidents in sci-fi media prior to Obama's election was directly linked to replacement theory or whatever. It isn't inherently racist to notice a trend and extrapolate a potential future from there, and in the early-to-mid 80s it was simply a fact that the Japanese economy was experiencing a massive boom while the American economy had recently experienced a recession.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Racism? Just like the snake episode. Imagine that, "Hey you, I hate you because you have a different skin color!" How stupid would that be.

Oh wait...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea die hard isn't racist, it's not about john mcclaine fighting the japanese. it's about him reasserting his masculinity in the face of the new america where women leave their husbands and get high paying corporate jobs. it's misogynist

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

While obviously the speculative fiction of BttF2/Aliens and the racist violence described above are linked by the same general idea/knowledge of thriving Japanese business and its potential effect on the global economy, I wouldn't say that this means that fiction was racist or playing on the fears of racists. That strikes me as similar to saying the portrayal of black presidents in sci-fi media prior to Obama's election was directly linked to replacement theory or whatever. It isn't inherently racist to notice a trend and extrapolate a potential future from there, and in the early-to-mid 80s it was simply a fact that the Japanese economy was experiencing a massive boom while the American economy had recently experienced a recession.
Predicting that the Japanese would be more influential in the future isn't racist.

Being afraid of that influence because they're different is racist. Japanese influence seems to often be something to illicit discomfort in media from that era. Though I am not an expert and I'm not going to claim every depiction falls into that category.

This is complicated by the overlapping fear that corporations would be more influential, which is pretty appropriate to fear and feel uncomfortable about.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

Predicting that the Japanese would be more influential in the future isn't racist.

Being afraid of that influence because they're different is racist. Japanese influence seems to often be something to illicit discomfort in media from that era. Though I am not an expert and I'm not going to claim every depiction falls into that category.

This is complicated by the overlapping fear that corporations would be more influential, which is pretty appropriate to fear and feel uncomfortable about.

Yeah totally in agreement here, and should have also mentioned I do not have like an encyclopedic knowledge of media from that time to dispute that a bunch of it was racist, just that the general trope wasn't inherently so.

Ridley Scott in particular with both Blade Runner and Alien projected heavy Asian cultural influences into both of those sci-fi futures but I feel like the real evil in both those cases was clearly capitalism. But perhaps he was intentionally relying on the unfamiliarity of those cultures specifically for western audiences at the time as a way of generating a discomfiting mood, but as someone with a modern POV I just wouldn't pick up on that.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I like the dynamic between the two Beths.

If Jerry was anything but Jerry, he would have cooked up a threesome by now

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Jerry should phone up Mr. Nimbus and ask for his advice here.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Vandar posted:

Jerry should phone up Mr. Nimbus and ask for his advice here.

I mean, they DID do a threesome with Nimbus.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mantis42 posted:

yea die hard isn't racist, it's not about john mcclaine fighting the japanese. it's about him reasserting his masculinity in the face of the new america where women leave their husbands and get high paying corporate jobs. it's misogynist

It's got plenty of faults, but it's still a loving great script.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked about 70% of this episode and the remainder spent wondering whether the callback was strong enough to base an episode around. Roy felt great as a one-off joke earlier in the show, did it really need to come back? The die hard stuff was meh, but I did love that at least for once a child character has no loving clue what the gently caress that god drat movie is about.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I didn't see it as revisiting the Roy premise, it felt like it was exploring a weird hosed up concept of having a whole society be split up versions of the same person, and happened to use the prior video game they established in the setting. Nothing about this felt like it was actually about the Roy game. The callback seemed incidental to me. Which was good.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There were a ton of hate crimes committed against anyone of Asian descent during that time, it was a pretty racist fear.

"On June 19, 1982, a Chinese American man named Vincent Chin went with friends to a strip club in Detroit to celebrate his upcoming wedding. That night, two white men who apparently thought Chin was Japanese beat him to death. At the killers’ trial, the men each received a $3,000 fine and zero prison time."

correction: they lost the fight at the strip club, went around the neighborhood looking for him for an hour, and then beat him to death with a baseball bat at a McDonalds and pled guilty, and got 0 time and a $3k fine.

all because Chrysler couldn't face the reality that their product was hot unwashed dogshit

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really like what they've done with Summer over the 5 seasons. She started off as a low key generic teenage girl family member and the writers have steadily shifted her into the position of 'Ricks actually competent grandchild sidekick' so well that nobody even blinks when Rick says 'go do a die hard'.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alchenar posted:

I really like what they've done with Summer over the 5 seasons. She started off as a low key generic teenage girl family member and the writers have steadily shifted her into the position of 'Ricks actually competent grandchild sidekick' so well that nobody even blinks when Rick says 'go do a die hard'.

Summer blinked, though. She didn't even know what a Die Hard was!

The fact that she was still able to pull it off is irrelevant to my point. :colbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Morty is actually competent now too - he just maintains a conscience and doesnt kowtow to the Rick reign of terror quite as easily as Summer

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Really liked that episode. The Morty stuff was R&M taking a neat sci fi concept and just running with it while using it to explore the Rick and Morty relationship in a new interesting way while the Summer B-plot was just good dumb fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The morty stuff is exactly the kind of scifi rigmarole that I think makes up the best of rick and morty. I liked the callback to Roy as a framing device and using it to quickly get the viewer caught up on what is going on is a good way to utilize a callback like that. It's not trying to tell the same sort of story the original roy did, but they're both about living in a simulated reality where you as a unique individual are being experienced by an external existence, and playing with the idea that living in the simulation is better than dying so the real teenaged boy can stop playing his game. So there's so conceptual connection that roy serves as an easy shorthand for. I think if they did this same plot but did not call it roy or reference roy it would have been strictly worse.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Morty coming back with billions of lived lives is gonna give him some Kwisatz Haderach energy for a bit.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the original Roy was used as a gag
here Roy was used as a vehicle for the plot

the original Meseeks were used as a vehicle for the plot
they were later reused as a gag when Morty fought the cops

It's like poetry, it rhymes

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy A. Person posted:

Ridley Scott in particular with both Blade Runner and Alien projected heavy Asian cultural influences into both of those sci-fi futures but I feel like the real evil in both those cases was clearly capitalism. But perhaps he was intentionally relying on the unfamiliarity of those cultures specifically for western audiences at the time as a way of generating a discomfiting mood, but as someone with a modern POV I just wouldn't pick up on that.

I'm not sure but I believe Scott made the heavy Asian influence in his movies as a result of the growing prominence of Hong Kong in various conversations. It was making waves in Hollywood because of its outsider voice and growing prominence in second run theaters. It was getting a lot of attention from finance since it had very favorable tax policies (companies incorporated there only paid tax and money made in HK, everywhere was tax free) and plenty of fodder of capitalism run amok with photos of Kowloon and the ideas of shanty towns made from stolen sheet metal existing 3 miles from multi-million dollar mansions.

Horror stories of working class conditions in Hong Kong are a big part of what led to the xenophobic fears about Japan's growing financial prominence in the 80s, mainly because people heard HK and immediately thought Asian not realizing almost all companies doing those things were owned and operated by white British men.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

More like Rick's Rickiest grandchild. Morty always seems to have a problem with Rick's plans and Summer just jumps in feet first. She also has a lot of ice cold lines to go along with it ("Kill me." "OK, but not because you told me to"). So of course she's Rick's emergency contact.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
lol

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Autosapphism is certainly not a direction I foresaw, but it’s going places…

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Uggghhhh...

Why is the third episode each season always the hardest? How did they manage to screw up interdimensional GamePass?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
As someone that used video games to distract myself from my dad having sex with a 22-year-old I loved this episode. I was in my 30s though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think I’m sick of space mom

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Great after credits scene. That and the text adventure game got the biggest laughs out of me.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
You know they're just taking the piss out of the audience by calling back to Naruto during this episode.

I will admit, I did get a belly laugh when they cut back to the kids during the bedroom scene.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

TerminalRaptor posted:

I will admit, I did get a belly laugh when they cut back to the kids during the bedroom scene.

Did I hear Morty right when he was begging Discovery Channel to kill him during that scene?