Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Roughed in the moot green and yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If the plan is to have the Cl'aun Sept I think you've succeeded

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I also have no idea what to even charge. Minimum wage? My current wage at my job? More?

I’m used to seeing it per model or per job, not per hour. Then it scales up and down based on quality level or effort level - basic tabletop standard, premium tabletop standard, display standard, whatever. It’s often quoted in multiples of the MSRP of the models being painted — 1x MSRP, etc.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Eej posted:

If the plan is to have the Cl'aun Sept I think you've succeeded

That cut deep, so i tried it with the administratum and i think i like it better.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gambrinus posted:

Can you strip metal miniatures with white spirit? I would use meths but don't have any in at the moment.

JESSE, WE NEED TO PAINT THIS SQUAD

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Muir posted:

I’m used to seeing it per model or per job, not per hour. Then it scales up and down based on quality level or effort level - basic tabletop standard, premium tabletop standard, display standard, whatever. It’s often quoted in multiples of the MSRP of the models being painted — 1x MSRP, etc.

You should probably still figure out how many hours of your time it will take and decide how much your time is worth and then convert that (hourly x hours)+materials == price per model

My opinion is you have to be both very fast and good at painting to reach the point where charging an actual reasonable hourly rate doesn't scare commissions away.

Me? I'm middling at best amongst the instagram crowd, and I paint slowly, so if I was to charge the local minimum wage for example I would charge $345 USD for 5 Howling Banshees to be assembled/painted/based (I track my projects in Brushrage so that's how I can easily tell you the price - 23 hours at $15 per hour).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly your work is better than mine, so even if you said $500 that seems reasonable

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Honestly your work is better than mine, so even if you said $500 that seems reasonable

You are too kind. Took a glance back at your work (as I thought I remembered it) and I would say your latest rangers posted are at the same or better level than what I just posted. Perhaps we both have imposter syndrome :v:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The only way I've ever seen the math work on painting commission, is to do it extremely fast with an airbrush, and to paint to a very basic level.

Or to be an angel giraldez type and "commision" for big companies

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

My Spirit Otter posted:

That cut deep, so i tried it with the administratum and i think i like it better.

It looks good, I'm not a fan of the pink metallics, I really like the blue and green

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

The more i look at it the more i want to do something more traditional

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like the wacky colours, looks great to me. I'd even say keep the Mountain Dew pulse rifle but that may be too far for everyone else

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pink metallics makes me want to paint some power rangers

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

My Spirit Otter posted:

I like the green but the thing about colour theory is that if you have equal bits of all of your colour scheme then everything just looks like, well, a colour palette. So right now on your first fella you have four colours in almost even amounts which makes your colour scheme look less cohesive. However, moot green looks great and if you wanted to integrate it all together you would have to drop at least one colour.

So for example: blue armour (including the gloves), black trim and fabric, metallic pink very sparingly (maybe just on the right shoulder and anything else that really stands out) and then moot green on the helmet and gun lenses with administratum gun + black bits. Since you're only using a little bit of green you can go really bright on it without it overpowering the rest of your scheme. I think the purple is unnecessary.

e: alternatively you don't have to paint any of the armour pink and instead use pink racing stripes or other decal looking things

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 18, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eej posted:

I like the green but the thing about colour theory is that if you have equal bits of all of your colour scheme then everything just looks like, well, a colour palette. So right now on your first fella you have four colours in almost even amounts which makes your colour scheme look less cohesive. However, moot green looks great and if you wanted to integrate it all together you would have to drop at least one colour.

So for example: blue armour, black trim and fabric, metallic pink very sparingly (maybe just on the right shoulder and anything else that really stands out) and then moot green on the helmet and gun lenses with administratum gun + black bits. Since you're only using a little bit of green you can go really bright on it without it overpowering the rest of your scheme. I think the purple is unnecessary.

How about 3 colors; coat, hair, some other area, but then having the pants, boots, gloves, gun, accessories, etc be different colors?

Do you pick muted (extra dark or extra white) for the non-main colors? What about the ground? I understand for something like, an all-orange color scheme, a blue base would make it pop, similar to a tropey movie poster color scheme, but when there's more than just one major color group I have a hard time focusing on what the colors need to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

JESSE, WE NEED TO PAINT THIS SQUAD

Simple Green, bitch!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Eej posted:

So for example: blue armour (including the gloves), black trim and fabric, metallic pink very sparingly (maybe just on the right shoulder and anything else that really stands out) and then moot green on the helmet and gun lenses with administratum gun + black bits. Since you're only using a little bit of green you can go really bright on it without it overpowering the rest of your scheme. I think the purple is unnecessary.

e: alternatively you don't have to paint any of the armour pink and instead use pink racing stripes or other decal looking things

I agree that everything kind of blended in because it was too busy, and simplified the paint jobs

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

w00tmonger posted:

The only way I've ever seen the math work on painting commission, is to do it extremely fast with an airbrush, and to paint to a very basic level.

Or to be an angel giraldez type and "commision" for big companies

I knew a guy who selectively bought very hyped kickstarters/games (HATE, Rising Sun, etc) and large war hammer models and airbrushed them in mass then sold them. He made a lot of money doing it but also had a huge amount of extra product with all the little demons and figures no one wanted. That’s probably the only way time/effort works out well because you are consistently and quickly applying the same paint job over and over again. He wouldn’t accept commissions because they weren’t worth the time.

He ended up being a gigantic egotistical piece of poo poo too so he might have just been lying about it being profitable. His work wasn’t bad though so I could see someone paying the prices.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How about 3 colors; coat, hair, some other area, but then having the pants, boots, gloves, gun, accessories, etc be different colors?

Do you pick muted (extra dark or extra white) for the non-main colors? What about the ground? I understand for something like, an all-orange color scheme, a blue base would make it pop, similar to a tropey movie poster color scheme, but when there's more than just one major color group I have a hard time focusing on what the colors need to be.

I think the simplest way to approach it is seeing things as primary, secondary, tertiary etc. colours. So for example with a Triadic colour scheme the rule of thumb is 60-30-10. You can see this on the 40k poster boys the Ultramarines. The basic scheme is primarily blue with gold trim and red accents.

And for the more detailed Captain models instead of adding extra colours they use the pre existing palette. Here they use a pale brown for the cloth which is close to the gold and use a darker red for cloth accent and the scabbard.

Muted colours depend on what your primary colour is and also what kind of feel you want for your miniature. For example if you're painting a mossy stone giant, well your primary colour is going to be muted by default cause it'll be a gray stone. The moss can then range from bright to dark green. Then you could paint in almost-white blue runes engraved into the rock for a little extra pop.

Your base does not necessarily have to contrast heavily with your model either. If your guys and gals are trudging through mud, sand or snow then you're gonna have that somewhere touching the model. You just have to make sure that the base doesn't consume the model (unless, of course, that's your intended effect).

As for your specific question about hair and clothing colour schemes you're delving into fashion which is honestly more complicated and personal than just picking colours that look good in a vacuum. If you want to make things look good you have to take into consideration skin tone, hair colour, eye colour and so forth and that's an entire profession in itself.

e: of course once you've learned the rules that's how you start breaking them on purpose

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 18, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Saltpowered posted:

I knew a guy who selectively bought very hyped kickstarters/games (HATE, Rising Sun, etc) and large war hammer models and airbrushed them in mass then sold them. He made a lot of money doing it but also had a huge amount of extra product with all the little demons and figures no one wanted. That’s probably the only way time/effort works out well because you are consistently and quickly applying the same paint job over and over again. He wouldn’t accept commissions because they weren’t worth the time.

He ended up being a gigantic egotistical piece of poo poo too so he might have just been lying about it being profitable. His work wasn’t bad though so I could see someone paying the prices.

A lot of board game kickstarters people ask for "sundrop" (dunno where the name comes from) premium option, but from what I've seen it's a zenithal pre-shade with a tint so the minis don't look like plastic straight from the box. If you were pumping that out as a factory line, you could make a dollar.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally finished Tariana Palos

She's been on my desk either partially-painted, or just gathering dust since I first got her, so while there's plenty I'm not 100% happy with, I'm just glad she's done.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are any of the AK metallics any good?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure what to do from now, kind of disappointed in the model itself, because it's PVC

I used some burnt sienna oil wash I made and it ended up tinting the metal part when I went to brush most of it off, so I had to lighten it back up with some silver and then come back to it with a few spots of the oil...didn't quite come out how I wanted it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure what to do from now, kind of disappointed in the model itself, because it's PVC

I used some burnt sienna oil wash I made and it ended up tinting the metal part when I went to brush most of it off, so I had to lighten it back up with some silver and then come back to it with a few spots of the oil...didn't quite come out how I wanted it

I like this a lot, but maybe the skins a bit, I dunno, dusty?

Everything has a bit of that dry brushed look which I like, but a smoother skin (maybe a wash?), or even a bit of gloss varnish would help break up the model

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I hit the skin with a watered down Ork Flesh so I guess we'll see how it looks like when it dries, looks good wet so far.

edit:

? put a gloss on the skin over the contrast

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 18, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I'll try to snap better ones in daylight tomorrow.
I didn't! But today was perfect, so here's the best shots:

Pardon the blu-tac, I clearcoated them right before shooting. I'm honestly super happy with these guys, and doubly so considering I've not painted anything for many years.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Quick WIP, of one of the "redshirts" from Lost Heresy I mentioned previously, where I decided to try painting the shirts with inks. Primed with a medium gray (I didn't want the harsh transition of black to white), then used a combination of drybrushing and overbrushing to get the white highlights on. I also used a tube of artist heavy body acrylic paint (Titanium White, in this case) as I'd heard it was perfect for that step, and since the local craft store had a "buy one get one" sale I figured I'd give it a shot.

The ink I used was a Daler-Rowney FW Crimson ink, which I thinned with Liquitex Matte Fluid Medium in a 1:1 ratio and then added a drop or two of flow improver to that. Took about four or five coats or so, but the neat thing is that although it looked blotchy as hell at first, the blotchiness went away with each successive coat of ink.

The rest of the figure I'll paint either using traditional methods or Contrast where needed, but I was really happy with how the uniform shirt on this guy (and three more of his redshirt buddies) turned out with the zenithal-type highlights and shadows doing the heavy lifting while the ink was just there to tint and color things. Again, I know this is old hat for a lot of people who already do this with inks or even Contrast paints, but it's the first time I've tried using an ink for something other than a wash or a glaze. Hopefully I'll be able to start work on the "command team" of not-TOS main characters soon here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I also have no idea what to even charge. Minimum wage? My current wage at my job? More?

I'd start around MSRP for the figure / model, then add 10-20%.

Don't fall into the trap of doing a whole army, and get paid a percentage up front.

Most importantly, agree that if you're not paid the remaining figures are yours to sell off to recoup pay.

Commissions are a nightmare trap that start with easy money and descend into complete bullshit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

moths posted:

Commissions are a nightmare trap that start with easy money and descend into complete bullshit.

I remember some goons posting their horror stories back around 2008-2009, about people wanting Golden Demon-winning type paintjobs for roughly less than they would have paid some kid to mow their lawn over the course of the summer. Or sending people their minis to paint completely unassembled, and then protesting when the painter told them they would have to charge them for both assembly time and materials used. Stuff like that.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Painted some zombies over the weekend. They're goofy, but I love em. Was worried about the halfway mark that they were boring, but adding the tops and pigments made them a lot more colourful.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

Can you strip metal miniatures with white spirit? I would use meths but don't have any in at the moment.

The answer is no. 24 hours in the shed in the non-drinking mug and the paint may as well have been welded on. Meths it is then, but not tomorrow because of Queen shutting down everything.

Here's some stormvermin with weapons now attached. I'll never get to the standards of those Instagrammers churning out space fash, but I'm ok with having something that looks passable from a distance.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Radiation Cow posted:

Painted some zombies over the weekend. They're goofy, but I love em. Was worried about the halfway mark that they were boring, but adding the tops and pigments made them a lot more colourful.

These are great, and I love the tombstones. Where are they from? They have this New Orleans vibe, like they're about to burst into dance at any moment.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Working on bases

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

These are great, and I love the tombstones. Where are they from? They have this New Orleans vibe, like they're about to burst into dance at any moment.

I dunno if they're in different sets, but they're the zombies from the Cursed City Warhammer Quest game

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Demilich posted:

Working on bases

When it's still drying it looks like a battle brother drowning in the Oatmeal Swamps of Quaker V

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

When it's still drying it looks like a battle brother drowning in the Oatmeal Swamps of Quaker V

Why is there a dead space marine in my wheatabix?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Eej posted:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Loxbourne posted:

They are games workshop, dead walker zombies. They have their own box now with more options, initially they were in GWs cursed city.

Radiation Cow posted:

These are loving great by the way.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

As others have said, they're from the Cursed City game box. Never going to play the game but the minis are great. These remind me a lot of colourful goths that all dance the same way at the club. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kharnifex posted:

It looks good, I'm not a fan of the pink metallics, I really like the blue and green

I want to see blue helmet, pink highlights, and a grey gun.