Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

so many games :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

in the land of mo games where the thiccstations rest

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I will play both GTA6 and Diablo 4

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

wow so many bombshells being dropped today
GTA6 is a GTA game
Diablo 4 is a Diablo game
wonder what other wild revelations are in store for us

No banjo kazooie is in development

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

to bring balance to the force i will play neither

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

New calladoodee beta is awesome. The gunfeel and movement is delicious. Maps are feeling great too.

Rageaholic posted:

SAME

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

to bring balance to the force i will play neither

I hope you play something else that absolutely tickles your pickle beanie

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Kilometers Davis posted:

New calladoodee beta is awesome. The gunfeel and movement is delicious. Maps are feeling great too.

I've never tried it myself, but I'm glad to know there are still some people in this thread trying to use all their available senses on the DualSense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The only absolutely baffling thing about the MW2 beta is the 3rd person playlist lol

Why would anyone want to play Call of Duty in 3rd person? I guess there are some people who do, though. The rounds I played of it felt bad to play. And ADS just returns you to first person aiming anyway!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Beat the Wo Long Demo. I would say it's average.

The good: It's pretty. The level design is good. The morale system is cool and encourages exploring the levels. It's a very meaningful reward for exploration.

There's a lot of questionable to bad design going on here with what feels like some steps backwards from Nioh.

[ ] Nioh's weapons felt very unique from each other. The stance system meant each weapon had a ton of different moves and those moves could be string together in huge combos using stance changes. Now each weapon has a 4 hit light attack combo, a single hit triangle heavy attack, and either 1-2 special movies out of a pool that are tied to the weapon class. It far more simplistic than Nioh and the weapons feel very samey. I didn't notice a huge difference between the weapons beyond some range/speed variation, and I basically would just use whatever did the most damage.

[ ] Regular enemies, especially non-humanoids, need better tells for deflect. It was easier to deflect the boss's attacks than the regular enemies, because their animations are much more elaborate.

[ ] Why are heal flask and magic spell animations so long. I know Nioh started as a Souls ripoff, but this game is much faster than a Souls game. Make these animations shorter.

[ ] The control inputs need to be tighter. So many times it would take 2-3 button mashes of triangle & circle to summon a guardian. Heal flask just don't work a 1/4 of the time.

[ ] I understand if you block too much a meter builds up and you get stunned. That makes sense. Why are there attacks that will pop that meter just for getting hit. In a game where a few hits kills you, getting hit is punishment enough. You don't need to also be stunned.

Also I don't know if this is a balance issue or just the demo, but I chose the "debuff" element to start with. 3/4 spells completely sucked and none of them were debuffs. The two offensive spells were poison damage spells that did little to no damage. None of them were worth casing except the one that applied poison to my weapon, which was amazing, but still not a drat debuff. Not sure if the other tracks you could choose where much better where offensive magic was worth using?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 19, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wo Long has issues but I really hope they address them for the release because the game is sick as hell.

- The heal absolutely needs to be quicker because everything else is so lightning fast
-The Circle + Triangle input doesn't seem to register
- The parry window should be slightly bigger because you will eat poo poo if you miss the input once. Also relates to the healing problem
-The lock on camera could be adjusted a bit because it can be hard to see what the enemy is doing because the camera is so low and it moves around during combos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought the Wo Long demo was insanely fun and these games always improve dramatically from the beta to the final game so i am very hyped

Rageaholic posted:

I will probably play GTA6 but probably not Diablo (unless I get it free or something)

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 19, 2022

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Was it an issue for you in SOMA?

oh i missed this, but i mean the whole game was an issue for me, i really do get scared easily. are there actual underwater levels in the game? cause i only got to the part where you sort of escape the first area and see that you're underwater in a bioshock-style city or lab or something.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not into the way the game looks. A lot of indie games lately seem to be doing that super low detail textures mixed with a cartoony aesthetic and I'm not into it at all. It totally takes me out of it, which is not good considering I feel like OW is supposed to be super immersive. I wasn't feeling the exploration much, since I didn't care to look at what there was to find for the most part. I thought the on foot controls felt clunky and I couldn't stand controlling the space ship. people say you get used to it but I probably put a combined 4 hours into my 2 attempted playthroughs and always found the ship to be just about the most unenjoyable vehicle I have ever used in a game. Eventually I sort of got used to it but it never felt fun. Frequently I'd find myself on a planet with absolutely no idea what to do next and the gap between me figuring it out and being bored in between usually felt way too long. And once again during that time I felt like there was just nothing to look at. Just like, some low detail rocks with maybe some alien stuff if I was lucky. Everything looked like it was proc gen to me even though I knew it wasn't/ Sometimes I'd find something kind of interesting like getting deep into a planet and I'd die and have to start over, which is supposed to be part of the appeal, but the thought of flying there in that awful ship and finding where I was again was always extremely unpleasant.

TLDR I was just bored most of the time and didn't like the look of the game.

The story seemed like it might get interesting and I like the basic concept of the game, but I feel like just about everything would have to be executed differently for me to enjoy it.

Who knows. Maybe one day It'll finally click. I know people love it and it's not super long and I paid for it, so I haven't entirely given up on it. At least at this point it doesn't jive with me at all though.

i meant to reply to this the other day but my post got eaten, but drat yeah i don't have a problem with the art, or the movement/ship controls. at first the art wasnt my favorite, but it grew on me as i played the game and then when i played the dlc i appreciated it a lot more, that's one of my favorite looking video game levels ever. i can't really imagine how they'd do it in a high poly style, and i cant really think of any other low poly art style that would be way cooler. also yeah maybe you just dont like the way the ship controls, but it took a while to grow on me before i realized that it really is as simple as it could get, with r2 and l2 thrusting up and down respectively and forward and backwards on the analog stick thrusting forward and back.

that's also unfortunate that you felt like you didn't know what to do on certain planets, cause for me, and the few streams i've watched, like VG's and joseph anderson's, there was never really a moment until the very end of the game for any of us, where there wasn't like multiple things we wanted to check out, like watching veeg play was hilarious because he'd say what he was going to do next but then he'd remember some other thing he'd read earlier and as he said it out loud he turned around to go do that, then before he could really finish that thought he thought of something else. but really like i said, the game basically is the story, which is a big reason why outer wilds is so cool, 'the form follows the function' or whatever, more than any other game i can think of. so if you do try it again, i'd recommend just going about finding information to figure out what's going on, why are you in a time loop, why is the sun exploding, who are the nomai, the alien race who's messages you keep finding, and do they have something do with the time loop and the sun exploding?. And while searching for info to answer those questions you'll most likely run into some other weird thing or something the nomai mentioned that sounds interesting, etc.

but yeah i mean i can see not liking the other aspects of the game, outside of the like core concept, but fortunately it's cool space poo poo and even if you're not into it it's inoffensive enough that you can probably look past it in time. but yeah, i just can't think of any other game where knowledge is legitimately the only thing you need to progress in the game, like outer wilds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bop bop perano posted:

oh i missed this, but i mean the whole game was an issue for me, i really do get scared easily. are there actual underwater levels in the game? cause i only got to the part where you sort of escape the first area and see that you're underwater in a bioshock-style city or lab or something.

You barely even started the game, I don't think you even got to the point where there's a real threat present. And yes, you spend a significant amount of time on the open seabed

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

haveblue posted:

You barely even started the game, I don't think you even got to the point where there's a real threat present. And yes, you spend a significant amount of time on the open seabed

yeah i forgot that i started it on ps now, then it was free on ps plus and i forgot what i was doing and i was stuck so i started over. but drat the game already freaks me out and idk if i can do it if there's actual underwater levels

Edit: Ohhh my god, I just looked up videos of the enemy encounters and running away from the enemy on the ocean floor is basically identical to a recurring nightmare I’ve had where I’m trying to run away underwater but I’m just sort of slowly floating while whatever is chasing me.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 19, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
video games as a medium is wildin out rn

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish there were more hours in the day to play them

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uScuM6T3Dq8&t=4973s
if that timecode doesnt work, the bit at 1:22:53

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

bop bop perano posted:

but yeah i mean i can see not liking the other aspects of the game, outside of the like core concept, but fortunately it's cool space poo poo and even if you're not into it it's inoffensive enough that you can probably look past it in time. but yeah, i just can't think of any other game where knowledge is legitimately the only thing you need to progress in the game, like outer wilds.

For me it seems like the game just did not work for Veni even though I'm not sure why. Like, the big thing about the game is how it unfolds as you explore, questions lead to more questions that start to coalesce into more solid ideas about what's going on and push you towards seeking out other connected things and it's all driven by your curiosity making you follow all these threads and breadcrumbs. It's the experience of uncovering all of that and putting it together that makes replaying the game not the same after the first playthrough which is why every Outer Wilds fan is so keen to see other people play the game.

It doesn't sound like a "I didn't stop to read anything and this game makes no sense" kind of complaint, which would at least be easy to give advice for. It's more like, "I didn't know what to do so I did nothing" or something? Like I dunno, the second I saw Brittle Hollow I wanted to know what was going on with it, and each time I found an area there was something else either nearby or mentioned in text that I needed to figure out how to see. Some planets require a bit more effort to get beneath the surface and really explore them, but if you're not compelled to dig deeper then I'm not sure how to kind of push that intrigue onto you and make you enjoy what is honesly one of my favourite games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hope you play something else that absolutely tickles your pickle beanie

Mirror's Edge 3?????? :pray:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My criticism of Wo Long is also that there is far too little going on with it compared to Nioh 1, let alone Nioh 2. Games journalists are trying to call it streamlining but it's just less finger puzzles and weapons to learn which appeals to me less.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I made it into the cave past the 2 tigers and I just got tired of dying in 2 hits.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My problem with Wo Long is actually a think Skillup said that he liked. He said From games are about exploring a wild place, an odyssey, and the fighting is just a part of that along the way. While Nioh games have levels that simply act as places to stage a bunch of enemies to fight, and it’s all about the fighting. But I really don’t enjoy a game where the sense of exploration and discovery and wonder is all half baked or completely nonexistent. And that’s the way Wo Long felt.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did Skill up say that? I thought he said he thought their level design was crap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh as much as I don't care for Nioh the exploration is better than most Souls ripoff games imo, but I guess that isn't really saying much. It's still a joke compared to the real deal.

Can't comment Lo Dong I haven't played it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It’s definitely the nature of the Nioh games to put you into different fighting scenarios with a strong sense of atmosphere, which explains why they make combat a lot quicker and more similar to fighting games than the slower and more deliberate approach of Souls, which is bigger on exploration. Things like action and stance canceling, abilities and martial arts, what Wo Long refers to as “spirit” etc encourage a much more kinetic combat style. It kind of makes me want to go back and play the Ninja Gaiden games.

To whoever said they went with debuffs/poison, I’ll say I went with fire and had fun with it. The spells weren’t very strong but they could change the tide of battle by simply stunning an enemy or finishing off a raging one with a small amount of health left. Also, the fire element level just flat out increases the damage you do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

wow so many bombshells being dropped today
GTA6 is a GTA game
Diablo 4 is a Diablo game
wonder what other wild revelations are in store for us
would you prefer if gta6 was a diablo game and diablo 4 was a gta game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I prefer action games like Nioh, DMC, Platinum stuff and Ninja Gaiden where you return to levels to get higher combos, get more items or style. Dark Souls pace is too plodding gameplay wise for me and hasn't got enough variety in the movesets. Wo Long doesn't feel like it has the massive amount of variety and technical demands as Nioh or the tight gameplay of Ninja Gaiden. I'll give it a go when it comes out but I'm wondering if they're going to release more weapons or what. Magic feels great to use and seamless as you fight enemies though, I'll give it a tick for that.

E: I'm hoping for a bigger budget Sifu at some stage. That ruled.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm wildin out cuz i just finished Wild Arms. I'm fairly sure I beat it back in the day but the last 1/3 or so of the game was completely unfamiliar to me, tho maybe I got it confused with a different wild arms game. Dunno!! Fun little romp to revisit but it is a very bare bones jrpg. Battles are slow and repetitive, the majority of the spell list is completely useless. The story is kinda fun in that particular Wild Arms way blending all sorts of elements from fantasy, scifi, and westerns. Of course the sountrack is good, but not as good as I remember. The standouts are the town themes. Michiko Naruke composes some of the absolute best jrpg town themes :hai:

I hope they bring Wild Arms 2 to ps+

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megasabin posted:

Also I don't know if this is a balance issue or just the demo, but I chose the "debuff" element to start with. 3/4 spells completely sucked and none of them were debuffs. The two offensive spells were poison damage spells that did little to no damage. None of them were worth casing except the one that applied poison to my weapon, which was amazing, but still not a drat debuff. Not sure if the other tracks you could choose where much better where offensive magic was worth using?

You don't have to stick with the spells you start with, there were about 20 unlocked for the demo and you could change them to anything at the rest place. I found the fire DoT spells extremely useful and carried me through the boss.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't have to stick with the spells you start with, there were about 20 unlocked for the demo and you could change them to anything at the rest place. I found the fire DoT spells extremely useful and carried me through the boss.

Yeah I picked the swamp type and for regular enemies it felt useless because you either monster them or they monster you, but against the boss it was very good. Fire was really good for flicking out some disrespect and plinking off mooks that you didn't want in the neighbourhood any more.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
edit: fake. he hasnt been hacked, still trying to ransom gta6, gtav code has not leaked/been sold.

just lots of bs about the situation. but take two have come down hard as gently caress on gtaforums :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 19, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Listen, I don't want to live on Brittle Hollow anymore :ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In fact, with Hardspace releasing tomorrow and Outer Wilds in-progress...Zero-G September is giving me severe astrophysics anxiety!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should sell it to the highest bidder, cover his tracks as best they can and run. Contacting R* is just asking to get assassinated.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Cod is fun! I wish there was more in the two maps to show off the gameplay changes. The sort of shoulder cam view when watching teammates when you’ve died is very cool.

Plus FOV SLIDER :nsa:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My problem with Wo Long is actually a think Skillup said that he liked. He said From games are about exploring a wild place, an odyssey, and the fighting is just a part of that along the way. While Nioh games have levels that simply act as places to stage a bunch of enemies to fight, and it’s all about the fighting. But I really don’t enjoy a game where the sense of exploration and discovery and wonder is all half baked or completely nonexistent. And that’s the way Wo Long felt.

Most Souls-inspired games focus way too much on combat and literally nothing else which is why they can't ever compare for me. Nioh 2 and Surge 2 are the only ones I like but it's still a wide gap between those and the real deal.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
souls inspired is a loving plague especially since souls is just castlevania 3d writ decent

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I thought wo long was intensely average and unremarkable in every single way. The demo gave me zero desire to play any more.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
wo long will be my goty if i can roll with my bro cao ren for eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Second Sekiro update: I suck at this game. I get that each boss tries to teach you something eg Lady Butterfly taught me to learn which of her moves allowed get a counter hit in and which I'd have to just block, the blazing bull taught me that attacks you wouldn't expect to be able to parry can be parried, that dude before Genichiro taught me to dodge left but hosed if I know what Genichiro is teaching me beyond "git gud lol".

I'll give it a few more goes but I've had a dozen attempts and have got to his final stage once. I even watched a video to see what to do and I've got no idea how to hit the intensity enough to stagger him, I'm always the one that needs to back off due to poorly timed parries.