Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

TraderStav posted:

I saw someone mention that the creators intend to have the show end far off in the future? Mind sharing a citation? I went into this show blind a little over a month ago and have no outside context.

It's sorta an assumption, the creators have talked about a 7 year plan, and with 10 year time-jumps we're probably going to hit the 2030's. They've also mentioned that they're planning to reach something like a "Star-Trek future", as Zephram Cochrane was born in 2032, it could easily line up thematically if nothing else, and the creators are probably nerdy enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
The Eugenics Wars must happen a decade late in this timeline.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

Ronald D. Moore

Ugh. Now I know the shame Ed felt after Apollo 10.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 31, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BooDooBoo posted:

It's sorta an assumption, the creators have talked about a 7 year plan, and with 10 year time-jumps we're probably going to hit the 2030's. They've also mentioned that they're planning to reach something like a "Star-Trek future", as Zephram Cochrane was born in 2032, it could easily line up thematically if nothing else, and the creators are probably nerdy enough to do it.

I have no faith that RDM has actually planned any of that at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ed uses warp drive, encounters Vulcans who inform him that now humans are ready to join the spacefaring races. A startled Ed asks if this means he is not the first person in the universe to travel at warp speed and they explain calmly that tens of thousands of other species have already done so.

NASA: Welcome back Ed, how did the fli-
Ed, covered in green blood: Scrap the space program. There's no point anymore.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jerusalem posted:

Ed uses warp drive, encounters Vulcans who inform him that now humans are ready to join the spacefaring races. A startled Ed asks if this means he is not the first person in the universe to travel at warp speed and they explain calmly that tens of thousands of other species have already done so.

NASA: Welcome back Ed, how did the fli-
Ed, covered in green blood: Scrap the space program. There's no point anymore.

*Scratchy 24th century TV presenter*: "Here they are, the words of the first living being to go to warp 9.9: 'We take this step for the Klingon Empire, and for all honorable warrior species. Kaplagh!"

https://i.imgur.com/xoMPOyc.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Borg defeated forever after they try to assimilate Ed and he finds out they did it with Picard first.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
An accident during reentry while testing a new propulsion device (on the space shuttle, naturally) sends through time all the way to the 25th century.

"How's that for a fly job? I'm the first person to travel through time" Ed proclaims.

"Bidibidibidibeep, you're not Buck!" says a tiny android.

Ed breaks the fourth wall and stares into the camera. Twiki plays the sad trombone from The Price is Right.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ed really is the master of sloppy seconds.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I hope Kelly calls the kid Bob.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

They announced Daniel Stern as a regular for next season, hopefully this means they're just gonna lean into everybody being old.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope he plays his character from Manhattan and he was frozen in the 40s and is revived in 2003.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I hope they biff the headcount when they leave and accidentally leave Danny alone on Mars. Daniel Stern and Joe Pesci try to break in to the mars habs and Danny is the only one who can stop them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I hope Kelly calls the kid Bob.

Danny's kid is also called Bob, but gained his father's propensity for abusing pills. High Bob.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Just from being nuke armed and having a billion fuckers up in there.

So is India, mind you, they don't tend to show up either.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Are you kidding me, he's still going to be in this? I sort of like him as an actor, but I was really hoping that season 4 would open with "Ed Baldwin died on the way to his home planet."

Finally finished the show yesterday, I thought this season was the weakest of the three so far but I still really like the show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

??? Why would they have him survive in such a clear way to write him off between seasons? I mean I get not liking him but why on earth would that happen

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just hit me after a rewatch, but Ed's recovery scene in the last episode is a total homage to the final Yeager scene from "The Right Stuff."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey in real life there are often people that should be dead 200 times by now.

Henry Kissinger for example

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

This seems accurate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bentai posted:

This seems accurate.

If anything the Soviet Commander should be the goof, see what happened to their ship made from stolen plans.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Excuse me those were not stolen, the unbathing nasa director gave them as a gift

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bentai posted:

This seems accurate.

Soviet commander: pushed his ship too hard, caused a nuclear meltdown that destroyed the ship.

NASA commander: landed when it wasn't safe, destroyed the ship.

Helios commander: Tried to go against orders to save the lives of Soviet cosmonauts, despite decades of personal bias against them. Aborted a landing he really wanted, because keeping his copilot safe was more important than being first. After finding out said copilot had hosed up and caused an accident tossed him in space jail.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Helios commander: Tried to go against orders to save the lives of Soviet cosmonauts, despite decades of personal bias against them. Aborted a landing he really wanted, because keeping his copilot safe was more important than being first. After finding out said copilot had hosed up and caused an accident tossed him in space jail.

Told his long-time and highly accomplished co-worker who he had bonded with on a deep personal level through a shared period of arguably the most distant isolation any human being had ever been in, and who he had seen sacrifice her own reputation to help save the life and reputation of their mutual friend, that the only reason she could have possibly gotten picked over him was because she was black.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I liked it when Deke was dying painfully and knew he had at most a few hours left alive and still made time to tell the only human who had even a slim chance of helping him, how much he hated gays and how gross it was that she was gay and demanded she never tell anyone else she was gay and then he died

e: the S3 take on "surprise I'm gay" was done a lot better, but wow gently caress Deke

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 18, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the writers were honest about how bigoted most white men were back then. Would have been way easier for them to just make it a Tom Hanks feel-good moment but they didn't flinch from reality. Deke almost certainly would have been homophobic. Almost everyone was back then.

Grounds the show in my opinion. Deke was such a "good guy" until that moment. Great character writing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
People want this show to be more progressive, but then it wouldn't be realistic for its time.

Unrelated, but I'm betting that the next time-skip intro will have George Harrison being murdered by that guy who, in real life, non-fatally stabbed him.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Aren't like a bunch of the NASA people supposed to be from Texas. The base itself is in Texas at least. Seemed like it'd be a hotbed of homophobia.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Edward Mass posted:

People want this show to be more progressive, but then it wouldn't be realistic for its time.
I mean, I guess, but this is also a world that got the ERA (which they never seem to mention again in the show).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JazzFlight posted:

I mean, I guess, but this is also a world that got the ERA (which they never seem to mention again in the show).

I think it got mentioned by the woman Danny cheated with this season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vegetable posted:

Aren't like a bunch of the NASA people supposed to be from Texas. The base itself is in Texas at least. Seemed like it'd be a hotbed of homophobia.

Yes, everyone in Texas is and has always definitely been a horse-riding bow-legged cowboy stereotype who speaks only in slurs.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, everyone in Texas is and has always definitely been a horse-riding bow-legged cowboy stereotype who speaks only in slurs.

as someone who grew up in texas this is unfair, it's only like half the population

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TIP posted:

as someone who grew up in texas this is unfair, it's only like half the population

Dallas, Aggies, and wannabe aggies have really hosed up the public perception of Texans

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I agree. Considering that and now adding Ellen coming out, their America would absolutely have more progressive social values than in our timeline.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm glad the writers were honest about how bigoted most white men were back then. Would have been way easier for them to just make it a Tom Hanks feel-good moment but they didn't flinch from reality. Deke almost certainly would have been homophobic. Almost everyone was back then.

Grounds the show in my opinion. Deke was such a "good guy" until that moment. Great character writing.

I didn't say it wasn't realistic, I said gently caress Deke
e: like, with my dying breath I want to tell this person who is my only hope of comfort in passing "ugh I sure do hate queers and you in particualr"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, I agree. Considering that and now adding Ellen coming out, their America would absolutely have more progressive social values than in our timeline.

I suspect we'd see a huge reactionary movement (which is, I guess, what the bombers are meant to be? I'd expect them to be at least do a little dog whistling though) and most of the leads grew up and were acculturated in our version of history, so tbh I'd expect them to still maintain significant conservative values.

Ed's big speech to Danny about affirmative action was really just ignored by the narrative entirely, wasn't it? Might as well have never happened. Man, this season was a total mess.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, that scene was building up to a nice emotional moment and Deke just went "Lesbians? ew gross."

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Deke's "don't tell anyone cause there's too many people like me out there, so that's all they'll see" was about as half-assed an apology he could make.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
He was at -1000 points and then gained one at the last possible second, for the faintest glimmer of self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Deke lived as he died: a character I forgot about until you mentioned him.