Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Patch notes:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/2NghS9QLcLTGqMtD5FGDQo/fallout-76-the-pitt-update-notes-september-13-2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Figure I'll do another "First time player impressions" effortpost, seeing as it's maintenance and what the heck else am I going to do.

I got busy before maintenance today. I launched my first Nuke and did the event it created (Monongah Mine :stonk: - it was not what I expected and was super fun!), killed the Scorchbeast Queen (not... as fun) and, most importantly, I got the Derby game from the Dread Island thing. I've done Eviction Notice (eh) and Moonshine Jamboree (really good) a few times as well.

I've been playing pretty consistently over the last two weeks (I left Vault 79 on August 29 according to the Steam achievement) and I've reached Level 62.

So far, the most consistent thing about the game has been that the world is dangerous and fun to explore - one thing it has over other Bethesda Fallout Games is reasons to go back to places you've been previously which I really like. My favourite area thus far has been The Mire; it's super nice to see a well realised Swamp in a game like this that isn't also super annoying to navigate (Hey, Hidetaka Miyazaki, look - it can be done!) I think they've done a really good job overall with the environment design. What lets it down is the lack of reasons to go to certain places outside of your own curiosity or what I'm discovering to be is a ridiculous number of Daily Quests.

The Toxic Valley promised a "Main Quest" which ended up being some doodad clicking and then... that was it. In the process I found a couple of interesting stories relating to two girls and a murder and a missing kid, but beyond that either I'm missing something or this entire zone is basically just a hub for daily quests? I did enjoy throwing a Flamer Grenade into massive herd of Radstags, at least. Got some good cookin' out of that.

A lot of the game takes place in and around The Savage Divide, as well, which is fine - it's a super cool area - I guess I'd just like to have more reasons to go places I haven't seen before beyond my own curiosity. That being said, I'm hopeful that I have a lot more left to find as there are still a lot of areas on the map with illustrations I'm yet to visit. I'm finding that "pick a direction and go" has served me well up to this point, although I am starting to Fast Travel a lot more now.

I finished what I understand to be the Main Quest and the Wastelanders Quests, which were fine but for the lack of payoff (which is a bit of a theme in the game, I've noticed). I haven't done anything with the Brotherhood at Fort Atlas yet. I figure I'll just spoiler this because I'd prefer it if someone else did in my position.

I did quests for both Raiders and Settlers before ultimately deciding to roll with the Settlers through the final mission based entirely on their having less irritating characters. The Secret Service showing up was pretty cool. There are times where this game really reminds you that it's only been 25 years since the Great War and this was pretty reasonable, all things considered. I thought the Settlers 'cast' was decent - particularly Penelope Hornwright and the underground Chinese Bunker was suitably ridiculous that I loved it. It just doesn't really feel like it had an ending, though - we got the Gold, I split it between the factions and I gained some reputation with both and Paige was pissed off at me (which I'm going to call a win) - I guess now I can buy some items with that Gold, but I'd like to see more on how things are progressing with the plan to establish a Gold Standard and the inevitable failure that results in the continuation of Caps as a currency for the next 200 years. What challenges are these groups now facing? I feel like the current state of affairs has a lot of potential from a storytelling perspective, but as it is the entire thing ended in a really "well, that's it then" kind of way.

The raiders were Caricatures rather than Characters, I felt, and had some fun quests but I really didn't care for them, overall. Well, except Lou - he was great. Prior to the gang at Crater, Rose was a bit of a chore to deal with but she grew on me and I really enjoyed everything regarding the previous gangs that she had me go through, so not all bad in Raider Country!

The Main Quest feels like it takes "lack of payoff" and runs as far as it can, with it - however through the power of Environmental Storytelling I have my own theory on things re; The Scorched and what, ultimately, has happened within Appalachia. Once again I've tagged this with Spoilers because I guess it's polite.

Just going to say it - Bethesda need to leave The Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel alone. But they won't, so I guess all I can do is go "okay, lets pretend the West Coast isn't a factor here" and then run with it.

So, the Brotherhood then - good to see the origin of the East Coast Chapter and I felt like the struggle they were facing was well told, all things considered. I liked the build up and conclusion of finding Taggerdy and her team in the Glassed Cavern and I thought everything thereafter was fine. I guess it just ended up feeling like "Go to Enclave Bunker, US Army man, you can now launch nukes arbitrarily." There was a throughline of using the Nukes to "End the Scorchbeast threat" that never really went anywhere? The Fissure sites are obviously Scorchbeast dens that are spawning grounds of the Plague which I get, but... so what? After the Glassed Cavern everything about the Scorched just lost all of its build up and momentum - in fact there wasn't really another mention of them at all for The Enclave portion except for where you re-establish the communication network and satellites and MODUS references something like "oh what are all these things?" but that's about it.

I don't know if I missed something or what but everything that had been built up with regards to the Scorched just felt like it was put on the backburner to focus on putting me in control of a Nuke for gameplay reasons as soon as possible. It was jarring to go from "this is a fun mystery I am enjoying" to "guess i have a creepy robot friend and nukes now!"

I feel like so much more could've been done here - as mentioned, the Environment storytelling throughout the game made me put together my own idea of things by the time I hit the Glassed Cavern. Which of course I'm going to post. There's theory and fanfiction in the next three paragraphs, sorry.

So, the main enemy in the Cavern is Eyebots which have historically been used by The Enclave moreso than any other faction in Fallout, which I found really weird. The cavern also predates the War and has "Ultracite" throughout - it was clearly being mined out for this Mineral before the war. There's also a terminal entry in the cavern from a Scientist referencing the possibility of Ultracite as an energy source.

So I figure, okay - We've got this new Mineral discovery here in Appalachia that has potential as a perpetual energy source. With it, Uranium and Oil are no longer a requirement and the Resource Wars that lead to the bomb are no longer a requirement. Sounds good, but I figure this Ultracite is probably difficult for Humans to mine because of reasons, which means Automation is necessary, hence the huge push for Automation in Appalachia in the years prior to the Great War. You mine more, faster, in a more controlled manner with Automation and - well, there's a lot of reasons you'd want Robots mining for this stuff so okay, that makes sense too.

What I was expecting is for this to be the case, for The Enclave to be looking to Ultracite for their own Enclave related purposes (hence all the Eyebots in the cavern) and for there to be a terrible reaction to mixing Ultracite with Radiation. So you have all this stuff getting radiated by the Fallout, it causes mutations to go into hyperdrive and also a Hive Mind is somehow created. The Enclave ask you to work with them and you get the choice between that and blowing them to kingdom come.

There's more to this and I'm just covering the cliffnotes on what was going through my mind as I made my way through the Glassed Cavern, but yeah, compared to where I thought it was all going, where it actually went was a bit of a wet fart.

And I still have no real closure on anything relating to the Scorched beyond "oh yeah Bats eh champ?"

All that said, I've probably missed things and I'm still really enjoying the Game so that's good. Looking forward to the stuff I haven't done yet and the new stuff coming today.

FrickenMoron posted:

Just a small warning, the difficulty / damage enemies will do jumps rapidly in the 40s so you want to focus your perks on one weapon type really.
Took this advice to heart and messed things around a little bit - now I'm running Sneak Rifles (got a 5.56 Instigating Hand Made that is doing the business) and Oh poo poo I've been rumbled Shotguns (using two, actually - Crowd Control and a Vampire Combat Shotgun I picked up ages ago). Only thing I'm really struggling with is finding more Handmade Rifles so I can upgrade the Instigating one and, honestly? Ammo. Ammo is fast becoming a bit of a bottleneck but I figure I just need to find a reasonable source of Lead and Plastic and we're off to the races.

Working up to try out a Heavy Weapons PA build as well, as I have the majority of Perks for the Main Build close to being maxed out and I'm sitting on about 10,000 5mm rounds I want to eventually use.

I have noticed that my 1,200 Limit on the Personal Stash is becoming a pain to deal with, as well - is there any advice folks have on managing that?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

iTrust posted:

Figure I'll do another "First time player impressions" effortpost, seeing as it's maintenance and what the heck else am I going to do.

I got busy before maintenance today. I launched my first Nuke and did the event it created (Monongah Mine :stonk: - it was not what I expected and was super fun!), killed the Scorchbeast Queen (not... as fun) and, most importantly, I got the Derby game from the Dread Island thing. I've done Eviction Notice (eh) and Moonshine Jamboree (really good) a few times as well.

I've been playing pretty consistently over the last two weeks (I left Vault 79 on August 29 according to the Steam achievement) and I've reached Level 62.

So far, the most consistent thing about the game has been that the world is dangerous and fun to explore - one thing it has over other Bethesda Fallout Games is reasons to go back to places you've been previously which I really like. My favourite area thus far has been The Mire; it's super nice to see a well realised Swamp in a game like this that isn't also super annoying to navigate (Hey, Hidetaka Miyazaki, look - it can be done!) I think they've done a really good job overall with the environment design. What lets it down is the lack of reasons to go to certain places outside of your own curiosity or what I'm discovering to be is a ridiculous number of Daily Quests.

The Toxic Valley promised a "Main Quest" which ended up being some doodad clicking and then... that was it. In the process I found a couple of interesting stories relating to two girls and a murder and a missing kid, but beyond that either I'm missing something or this entire zone is basically just a hub for daily quests? I did enjoy throwing a Flamer Grenade into massive herd of Radstags, at least. Got some good cookin' out of that.

A lot of the game takes place in and around The Savage Divide, as well, which is fine - it's a super cool area - I guess I'd just like to have more reasons to go places I haven't seen before beyond my own curiosity. That being said, I'm hopeful that I have a lot more left to find as there are still a lot of areas on the map with illustrations I'm yet to visit. I'm finding that "pick a direction and go" has served me well up to this point, although I am starting to Fast Travel a lot more now.

I finished what I understand to be the Main Quest and the Wastelanders Quests, which were fine but for the lack of payoff (which is a bit of a theme in the game, I've noticed). I haven't done anything with the Brotherhood at Fort Atlas yet. I figure I'll just spoiler this because I'd prefer it if someone else did in my position.

I did quests for both Raiders and Settlers before ultimately deciding to roll with the Settlers through the final mission based entirely on their having less irritating characters. The Secret Service showing up was pretty cool. There are times where this game really reminds you that it's only been 25 years since the Great War and this was pretty reasonable, all things considered. I thought the Settlers 'cast' was decent - particularly Penelope Hornwright and the underground Chinese Bunker was suitably ridiculous that I loved it. It just doesn't really feel like it had an ending, though - we got the Gold, I split it between the factions and I gained some reputation with both and Paige was pissed off at me (which I'm going to call a win) - I guess now I can buy some items with that Gold, but I'd like to see more on how things are progressing with the plan to establish a Gold Standard and the inevitable failure that results in the continuation of Caps as a currency for the next 200 years. What challenges are these groups now facing? I feel like the current state of affairs has a lot of potential from a storytelling perspective, but as it is the entire thing ended in a really "well, that's it then" kind of way.

The raiders were Caricatures rather than Characters, I felt, and had some fun quests but I really didn't care for them, overall. Well, except Lou - he was great. Prior to the gang at Crater, Rose was a bit of a chore to deal with but she grew on me and I really enjoyed everything regarding the previous gangs that she had me go through, so not all bad in Raider Country!

The Main Quest feels like it takes "lack of payoff" and runs as far as it can, with it - however through the power of Environmental Storytelling I have my own theory on things re; The Scorched and what, ultimately, has happened within Appalachia. Once again I've tagged this with Spoilers because I guess it's polite.

Just going to say it - Bethesda need to leave The Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel alone. But they won't, so I guess all I can do is go "okay, lets pretend the West Coast isn't a factor here" and then run with it.

So, the Brotherhood then - good to see the origin of the East Coast Chapter and I felt like the struggle they were facing was well told, all things considered. I liked the build up and conclusion of finding Taggerdy and her team in the Glassed Cavern and I thought everything thereafter was fine. I guess it just ended up feeling like "Go to Enclave Bunker, US Army man, you can now launch nukes arbitrarily." There was a throughline of using the Nukes to "End the Scorchbeast threat" that never really went anywhere? The Fissure sites are obviously Scorchbeast dens that are spawning grounds of the Plague which I get, but... so what? After the Glassed Cavern everything about the Scorched just lost all of its build up and momentum - in fact there wasn't really another mention of them at all for The Enclave portion except for where you re-establish the communication network and satellites and MODUS references something like "oh what are all these things?" but that's about it.

I don't know if I missed something or what but everything that had been built up with regards to the Scorched just felt like it was put on the backburner to focus on putting me in control of a Nuke for gameplay reasons as soon as possible. It was jarring to go from "this is a fun mystery I am enjoying" to "guess i have a creepy robot friend and nukes now!"

I feel like so much more could've been done here - as mentioned, the Environment storytelling throughout the game made me put together my own idea of things by the time I hit the Glassed Cavern. Which of course I'm going to post. There's theory and fanfiction in the next three paragraphs, sorry.

So, the main enemy in the Cavern is Eyebots which have historically been used by The Enclave moreso than any other faction in Fallout, which I found really weird. The cavern also predates the War and has "Ultracite" throughout - it was clearly being mined out for this Mineral before the war. There's also a terminal entry in the cavern from a Scientist referencing the possibility of Ultracite as an energy source.

So I figure, okay - We've got this new Mineral discovery here in Appalachia that has potential as a perpetual energy source. With it, Uranium and Oil are no longer a requirement and the Resource Wars that lead to the bomb are no longer a requirement. Sounds good, but I figure this Ultracite is probably difficult for Humans to mine because of reasons, which means Automation is necessary, hence the huge push for Automation in Appalachia in the years prior to the Great War. You mine more, faster, in a more controlled manner with Automation and - well, there's a lot of reasons you'd want Robots mining for this stuff so okay, that makes sense too.

What I was expecting is for this to be the case, for The Enclave to be looking to Ultracite for their own Enclave related purposes (hence all the Eyebots in the cavern) and for there to be a terrible reaction to mixing Ultracite with Radiation. So you have all this stuff getting radiated by the Fallout, it causes mutations to go into hyperdrive and also a Hive Mind is somehow created. The Enclave ask you to work with them and you get the choice between that and blowing them to kingdom come.

There's more to this and I'm just covering the cliffnotes on what was going through my mind as I made my way through the Glassed Cavern, but yeah, compared to where I thought it was all going, where it actually went was a bit of a wet fart.

And I still have no real closure on anything relating to the Scorched beyond "oh yeah Bats eh champ?"

All that said, I've probably missed things and I'm still really enjoying the Game so that's good. Looking forward to the stuff I haven't done yet and the new stuff coming today.

There are surveillance recording holotapes in the WS bunker, and/or terminal entries, that explain a lot of things.

quote:

Took this advice to heart and messed things around a little bit - now I'm running Sneak Rifles (got a 5.56 Instigating Hand Made that is doing the business) and Oh poo poo I've been rumbled Shotguns (using two, actually - Crowd Control and a Vampire Combat Shotgun I picked up ages ago). Only thing I'm really struggling with is finding more Handmade Rifles so I can upgrade the Instigating one and, honestly? Ammo. Ammo is fast becoming a bit of a bottleneck but I figure I just need to find a reasonable source of Lead and Plastic and we're off to the races.

Working up to try out a Heavy Weapons PA build as well, as I have the majority of Perks for the Main Build close to being maxed out and I'm sitting on about 10,000 5mm rounds I want to eventually use.

I have noticed that my 1,200 Limit on the Personal Stash is becoming a pain to deal with, as well - is there any advice folks have on managing that?

For ammo, run Daily OPs. You'll get out with more then what you went in with.

For stash management, don't hoard junk. When you need ammo, do a dedicated farming run and craft a metric ton. Keep 100 of each or so and dump the rest. There is no such thing as rare junk in Appalachia.

Check your weapons and armor. Nocturnal, Berserker, Exterminator, Ghoul Slayer, Mutant Slayer, Mutants, Assassins, Hunters, Chameleon, Bolstering, Vanguard, Cloaking, Junkies -> Scrip machine.

Ammo, Armor, Weapons, Food and Chems in the stash are NOT affected by weight reduction perks. A Fusion Core, for example, weighs .3 with Batteries Included. In the stash it weighs the normal 3.0

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

iTrust posted:

Have you done the quest to make the Excavator PA? Use that and enter the Lucky hole mine and you'll never have lead problems again (excavator farms 4x as much from ore nodes)
Also run daily ops if you can they reward a lot of ammo.

And RE: Stash weight, its a huge issue for everyone and the only way to alleviate it really is Fallout 1st, or become one of those players who carry their junk on them with the 90% reduction perk.

Excavator PA + leg mods give a ridiculous +200 carry weight.

Edit: If you dont want to run PA, Minerva should still be around today and selling a backpack mod that reduces your food weight by 90%. that will save you perk attributes!

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

Awesome - thanks for the advice!

And it looks like I need to dig around in the Bunker some more, so I'm going to prioritise that whilst things are still fresh in my mind - thanks for the heads up.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Good luck, The quest regarding the excavator PA startsnear the hornwright estate so you should have been to that place already.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

With The Pittbeing released today, I wouldn't be surprised to see a free Fallout 1st weekend promotion soon. When that happens, immediately build the included scrap box and fill the m'fer with every piece of junk you have and can hoard during the event. Event after the free trial ends, you can keep the scrapbox and pull the junk from it, you just won't be able to add to it unless you get 1st again.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Chainsaw slaps now. I put on a "Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Fallouts" costume for the occasion, which I am convinced helps my damage output. The rev up time took a couple minutes to get used to, but I just run straight through anything under level 100. About to try it out in my first expedition, time to see if it holds up on content that is presumably a little more heavily tuned for high levels.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The second expedition destination is annoying for low health builds. A ton of Rads.

Also, Daily OPs seem to be broken, no one can join a team member, you'll always end up in your own instance and have to solo it. lol

Edit: Some say they work so it might just be a server issue. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 13, 2022

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

Gave Expeditions a shot, think it was "From Ashes to Fire" that I did - got through everything Solo without a hassle up until the Final Boss in the Cathedral and no matter what I did that old boy was regenerating back to full Health after I'd get him down to around 50% - Reloaded and made another shot of it; same thing.

So I don't know what to make of that one. Soured me on it a fair old bit, which is a shame because prior to that I was having a great time of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Morality_Police posted:

Chainsaw slaps now. I put on a "Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Fallouts" costume for the occasion, which I am convinced helps my damage output. The rev up time took a couple minutes to get used to, but I just run straight through anything under level 100. About to try it out in my first expedition, time to see if it holds up on content that is presumably a little more heavily tuned for high levels.

glad to see them embrace the shredder mechanics and not 100% link them to a ridiculous equipment combo to get them. a spin-up time is a little silly outside of the minigun context (and it's very stupid IN the minigun context already) but eh whatever :shrug:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Game breaking bugs on day 1 of patch in this game is pretty status quo

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

BadLlama posted:

Game breaking bugs on day 1 of patch in this game is pretty status quo

I'd actually be quite worried if bethesda released a decent sized update with no bugs, so this is a good sign.

The day bethesda playtests things is the day when star citizen gets out of alpha :lol:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

iTrust posted:

Gave Expeditions a shot, think it was "From Ashes to Fire" that I did - got through everything Solo without a hassle up until the Final Boss in the Cathedral and no matter what I did that old boy was regenerating back to full Health after I'd get him down to around 50% - Reloaded and made another shot of it; same thing.

So I don't know what to make of that one. Soured me on it a fair old bit, which is a shame because prior to that I was having a great time of it.

That guy is scripted to survive the first hp bar drain to bring in some goons, after that he will die.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

That guy is scripted to survive the first hp bar drain to bring in some goons, after that he will die.

I figured this after I went back with PA and a Vampire Minigun and had a good time of things.

Still seems to behave a bit weird though; I was doing Damage but didn't have any indication beyond his HP bar going down until after the Health Bar reset; but the bar reset twice during my scrap with him - the first time nothing really happened; the second time it was more "as intended" and the extra lads appeared.

They could've maybe made him Legendary and have the mooks spawn in with the mutation or something I don't know - the entire thing just feels a bit off and not-quite-right.

Good content, other than that.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 14, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had this issue too, for his first HP bar there were no damage numbers but if you checked the bar it actually went down.

Also PSA the super useful popcorn machine is available at Mortimers now for 1250 gold bullions.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fast travel to interiors is such a small but game changing quality-of-life improvement.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Wee Bairns posted:

Fast travel to interiors is such a small but game changing quality-of-life improvement.

drat, that's a thing now?. Guess I should have read the patch notes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah it's a thing also purveyor and Whitesprings resort are new fast travel points.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

yeah this is a tremendous positive, what a pity they didn't think to allow this from the beginning!

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah it's a thing also purveyor and Whitesprings resort are new fast travel points.

*FREE

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

Did Union Dues and I think, of the two, "From Ashes to Fire" is the more interesting mission, if only because it felt a bit more varied. I think Union Dues serves as a better introduction overall to The Pitt, the general vibe and the Troggs at least.

I think my biggest problem with Expeditions is the ridiculous increase in power that the bosses have. I was able to go through both Expeditions solo absolutely fine, however in both cases the bosses required going back to Camp and respeccing into PA / Heavy Guns because my usual infiltrator with an emergency two shotguns approach was basically just not allowed.

I get that I'm forcing unnecessary complications by not just doing these in a team, but the Daily Ops and, well the entire game I've done up to this point don't have the same problem so :shrug: It's only a minor inconvenience to have to switch to PA as well so this isn't exactly the worst thing ever, I guess it just feels like the bosses could do with having a bit less Health.

One way or the other, still super glad I gave this good game a shot. I still have loads to do outside of Expeditions as well.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Didn't notice anything special about the bosses but I rock a Quad Railway Rifle with less AP cost. Shreds. Hard. :D

Not a big fan of the second expedition because of the heavy rads at the end. It's managable but I really prefer Union Dues, feels faster in general and is less annoying. And no, I will not hop in PA or the CSS, XP matter more. :colbert:

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 15, 2022

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
The rad storm at the end of Ashes is a minor annoyance at best. I'm a bloody build and just pop one diluted radaway and it's fine. I probably don't even need to run bloodied but I'm just used to that build.

I don't know why, but it's hard to memorize the layouts of either, they are just so awful it's like my brain just won't keep track of where poo poo is even after 4 back to back runs. Probably my biggest complaint is the map layouts of both being too maze like.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
It took me way too long to find the Sceptic but I do like the concept of no optional quest markers unless you are close to them.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Ran Union Dues on patch day back to back, and both times me and my buddy were relying solely on our compass rose for navigation, as the layouts were indeed difficult to remember. Even back to back.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is there a particular weapon type/playstyle that lends itself to leveling with a newbie? Last time I tried this, I think I leaned heavy on sneak headshotting things, and it worked fine-ish, right up until it didn't and then I quit

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
The layout of the Pitt maps has been getting me too, the combination of no quest markers until you're close to stuff and the wild layout mean I always end up spending a few minutes trudging around an empty foundry looking for steel ingots. I still have kind of mixed feelings about the way the Pitt works, in terms of dipping into the zone for an expedition and otherwise not interacting with the new area at all. I guess it feels in keeping with 76's whole theme of good ideas implemented in weird, maybe bad ways, so at least they're being consistent?

Speaking of good ideas implemented in weird ways, auto-melee weapons continue to be busted in the good way, but seem to have a lot of weird bugs and exceptions. I learned this morning that +40% power attack damage is a strong legendary mod for them, because apparently all auto-weapon attacks are considered power attacks, all the time. That's good! But the "take less damage while power attacking" legendary perk doesn't seem to work on them at all. That's bad. Faster swing speed is, as expected, really, really strong, and I'm pretty sure that as well as increasing # of attacks/second, it's also reducing the rev-up time too, at least on the chainsaw. So that's good! But when used with VATS and Hack and Slash, the combination makes my video card try to kick its way out of the side of my computer, I think it's something about the many, many attacks per second all triggering explosions centered on me. So that's bad.

I'll shut up about chainsaws and auto-melee weapons now, I promise.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Devor posted:

Is there a particular weapon type/playstyle that lends itself to leveling with a newbie? Last time I tried this, I think I leaned heavy on sneak headshotting things, and it worked fine-ish, right up until it didn't and then I quit

2H Melee. Put your first 15 points into strength and you're set. It transfers nicely to a heavy guns build near to level 50.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
They really need to get of those stupid restrictions. Everyone on the team should be able to start an Expedition and be the leader during it. How hard can it be?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Sensenmann posted:

They really need to get of those stupid restrictions. Everyone on the team should be able to start an Expedition and be the leader during it. How hard can it be?

As a developer, I understand the reason behind having the team and mission progress synced to the team leader. As jank as the Creation Engine is, I'm sure they are just glad it "just works" at all :dance:

Thankfully folks are getting much faster at Pitt runs on Union Dues, so it's becoming marginally less annoying.

I've done around 12 runs in total by team/server hopping and I'm just burnt out already on day 2.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Devor posted:

If your lvl 25 or above, have a kind goon craft you a legendary The Fixer, some shadowed leather armor and dump some ammo off and run a automatic stealth command build til lvl 50, then you can do whatever you want from there. It's far faster to level grind with that than melee.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

As a developer, I understand the reason behind having the team and mission progress synced to the team leader. As jank as the Creation Engine is, I'm sure they are just glad it "just works" at all :dance:

Thankfully folks are getting much faster at Pitt runs on Union Dues, so it's becoming marginally less annoying.

I've done around 12 runs in total by team/server hopping and I'm just burnt out already on day 2.

I have no problem with the mission progress being synced to the Leader, I have a problem with only the team leader being able to start one because a lot of people don't seem to get that. I've been on several teams where the leader just didn't get that and wanted one of us to just start one because their battery wasn't ready yet. I'm not even sure that this is explained anywhere.

A lot of that can easily by solved by implementing official text chat.

Would also make it easier to tell everyone on the team to return to Appalachia and rejoin the Expedition when the Trog attack, the Saboteur or Danilo break.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 16, 2022

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Sensenmann posted:

A lot of that can easily by solved by implementing official text chat.

Nope, not immersive. Gotta be open-mic proximity based voice chat that nobody uses.

Other than when I was doing a uranium fever and a Chinese guy had a very loud and very open mic. That was a pretty interesting event.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's amazingly obnoxious how awkward it is to find and mute that kind of poo poo when there's more than one person around, really hate that whole concept.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Sometimes I envy the console players, since they can message other players via xbox/playstation chat.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Now that they have fast travel to interiors, I wish we had a fast travel option directly into my own Vault/Shelter.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think I have all mics just muted, so you have to communicate 100% via emotes

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Something I realized a week ago was that Vault 120, the Bioshock-style underwater Vault cut from Fallout 4, was actually in the game files for Fallout 76 (they apparently cloned a development ESM that still had it in), so guess who spent about three days putting all of that together and reconstructing the location and the quest? To make a long story short, it was basically a continuation of Yangtze's story and Zao's, and the Chinese submarine would crash, permanently, into the Vault, leading Zao and the Sole Survivor to navigate the Vault and eventually decide the fate of the sentient squid that stalked them throughout the level.

After digging through it and discussing with others, I think I can safely say it was dumped during playtesting (the playtest marker designations go up to 17), because they likely couldn't figure out proper transitions between air-filled and underwater segments, make the ocean floor trip fun at a snail's pace, and couldn't implement underwater combat. It's kind of a shame, since the area really had potential and it seemed like a really fun self-contained story, though incredibly linear - even more so than your usual Fallout quest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I decided to look up this thread after seeing that Fallout 76 is having a Free Week on Steam starting today, and this was interesting. I appreciate how detailed the wiki page is now for content that must've been abandoned by Bethesda at least 8 years ago, and I even browsed the 'edit history' of the page to see how big of a breakthrough this was for something that was essentially just a minor piece of trivia when the page was first created in 2018.

What's weird about this is how much effort they must have spent creating this environment and it's assets before figuring out the technical & gameplay elements required for it to make sense. Like, the idea of making such an underwater-themed area before you have any evidence that your engine can support it (and make it fun) seems so backwards, but it's also a perfect example of the process that lead to Fallout 76 and it's more bizarre elements like the battle royale mode. The wiki page even had a Todd Howard quote that referenced Vault 120 as being a 'Bioshock-style' vault, and makes me suspect that was the exact wording he used for the task when he gave it to some team years ago.

Even with The Pitt, you get the idea that somebody decided the game needed an 'Expansion' with a 'New Open World', and the technical team was forced to meet this goal despite the same engine already being pushed to it's limits for Daily Ops & instanced activities.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Sounds like Todd went "yeah, bioshock is cool and sold well, and also has a similar retro futuristic style (but less futuristic, and with more of an art Deco style) so I think that we should put bioshock in fallout."

Then after making all these great assets and presumably making a whole story for it they realised that they couldn't do it. Yeah, that's pretty odd. But hey, it's bethesda, what can you do?