Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ishikabibble posted:

I think wall-mounted candle holders were trendy in the 80s?

my house had a weird sconce in the awkward kitchen bar. the bulb had a flickering effect (the glow in the filament moved around iirc, though that sounds insane now that I'm typing it out).

we never used that light and I'd guess it still had the same bulb if I didn't know the kitchen had been gutted by a fire.

well, that's my story. smell you later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I thought they just had Pike, and Kirks dad?

The new TV shows have new TOS actors. There's a new Pike, Spock, Uhura and Kirk.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Empty Sandwich posted:

my house had a weird sconce in the awkward kitchen bar. the bulb had a flickering effect (the glow in the filament moved around iirc, though that sounds insane now that I'm typing it out).

My mom has a fake candle stick in the kitchen window, and it does the same thing. It looked like it really does just alternate different parts of it to give that effect.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We definitely had sconces (hey I learned a new word!) in my house in the early 90's. They weren't built in but decorative pieces hung on the wall. The candles adorned on them were never actually lit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

The new TV shows have new TOS actors. There's a new Pike, Spock, Uhura and Kirk.

Yeah but it's set 10 years before TOS, and it's George Kirk, Kirks dad

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah but it's set 10 years before TOS, and it's George Kirk, Kirks dad

Before muscles has a stroke - There are two Kirks on Strange New Worlds. One is Sam Kirk, who has a sweet moustache. The other is indeed James T Kirk, future captain of the USS Enterprise. Sadly they are not just the same actor without a moustache, unlike in the original Star Trek where Sam was just William Shatner with added moustache. For further clarity, Sam Kirk's full name is in fact George Samuel Kirk Jr., as George Kirk is the name of their father. George Kirk was played by a pre-fame/pre-Thor Chris Hemsworth in the 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek, and there has been speculation about a father-son team up movie with both Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pine, but that seems unlikely to happen. I think that covers everything. This post was not even close to the lowest point of the Simpsons.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the portable toilet is this season of the Simpsons!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lukevictorious posted:

Before muscles has a stroke - There are two Kirks on Strange New Worlds. One is Sam Kirk, who has a sweet moustache. The other is indeed James T Kirk, future captain of the USS Enterprise. Sadly they are not just the same actor without a moustache, unlike in the original Star Trek where Sam was just William Shatner with added moustache. For further clarity, Sam Kirk's full name is in fact George Samuel Kirk Jr., as George Kirk is the name of their father. George Kirk was played by a pre-fame/pre-Thor Chris Hemsworth in the 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek, and there has been speculation about a father-son team up movie with both Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pine, but that seems unlikely to happen. I think that covers everything. This post was not even close to the lowest point of the Simpsons.

I appreciate the clarification, tbh I'm even more confused now tho. Guess I should just watch more than two eps of SNW. Def won't be watching the Simpsons tho

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1571196551237615616?s=46&t=JhpXZNCwLnlWTwqj-awihg

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Welp.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
made it 21 seconds

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I know Pat Carroll died recently but man they didn't even try to capture the way she sounded as Ursula. Also maybe it's just cuz it's a clip but the song seems to have no discernable structure? Why does every villain have their correct gimmick but Cruella shoots fire?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Can't believe I watched that whole thing, and I can't believe people earnestly enjoyed it.

I'm on season 5 now, had to rewatch the "Hello, Mr. Thompson" bit a couple times because I kept laughing too hard

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i rewatched the japan trip episode, and while the mel gibson episode might have aged the worst because of a single character, i think the japan episode might have aged the worst as an overall episode.

also, while this isn't by any means the first time it's happened, one annoying thing i've noticed about post season 8 episodes of the simpsons is that they cut away from a joke WAAAY too quick. it's ben one of my pet peeves for a long time, but it was particularly prominent in this episodes. sometimes it felt like it cut away before the characters would even completely finish saying their lines.

oh and also, too. the music they had playing at the credits to sound like a parody of anime music did a pretty terrible job of parodying anime music. i don't know what it was, but it did NOT sound like anime music :argh:

why do all the characters besides future bart look like they did before they moved to HD?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FireWorksWell posted:

Can't believe I watched that whole thing, and I can't believe people earnestly enjoyed it.

I'm on season 5 now, had to rewatch the "Hello, Mr. Thompson" bit a couple times because I kept laughing too hard

Oh man, my favorite part is Homer’s fantasy of being John Elway and badly losing a Super Bowl.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

They might be able to mimic the old art style. But the moment Julie Kavner opens her mouth, you know the illusion will be shattered.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

why do all the characters besides future bart look like they did before they moved to HD?

The Japan episode still has a ton of stuff that holds up well though. The secret to eternal bliss, the knife goes in guts come out, etc.

And as for the HD vs old school, it's because the showrunners were't content with making new sit episodes that now they're actively ruining past ones

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

I know Pat Carroll died recently but man they didn't even try to capture the way she sounded as Ursula. Also maybe it's just cuz it's a clip but the song seems to have no discernable structure? Why does every villain have their correct gimmick but Cruella shoots fire?
the meter of the recent songs is always just slightly off, like they technically crammed the right number of syllables into the line by hurrying the delivery, but it all would have flowed better if they’d maybe done a single rewrite. just like how they go home after writing 20 pages of what contractually qualify as jokes

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Does the lady from 101 Dalmatians have fire powers?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

They might be able to mimic the old art style. But the moment Julie Kavner opens her mouth, you know the illusion will be shattered.

Also I'm pretty sure the old art style had a slightly different yellow they haven't captured here. Less fluorescent, with a very slightly redder hue than greener.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

:kstarehair:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does the lady from 101 Dalmatians have fire powers?

No. I guess she does smoke a lot?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

DemoneeHo posted:

The real test will be how it looks in movement. If they try to make it as fluid or just say the old colours are enough

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

so i rewatched the japan trip episode, and while the mel gibson episode might have aged the worst because of a single character, i think the japan episode might have aged the worst as an overall episode.

That's not the way I remember it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

emgeejay posted:

the meter of the recent songs is always just slightly off, like they technically crammed the right number of syllables into the line by hurrying the delivery, but it all would have flowed better if they’d maybe done a single rewrite. just like how they go home after writing 20 pages of what contractually qualify as jokes

But enough about Bob’s Burgers

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

But enough about Bob’s Burgers
https://youtu.be/8X_Ot0k4XJc

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

The Japan episode still has a ton of stuff that holds up well though. The secret to eternal bliss, the knife goes in guts come out, etc.

i mean, overall i still like the episode as well. it's just that a lot of the japanese centric jokes seem kinda bad in retrospect

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No. I guess she does smoke a lot?

Oh. I've never seen it. I think I had one of those Golden Books of it when I was a little kid and I didn't remember her shooting flames out of her hands in that.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

i mean, overall i still like the episode as well. it's just that a lot of the japanese centric jokes seem kinda bad in retrospect

The killing the emperor by throwing him into a bunch of sumo thongs ages better and better though

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I always liked that episode as a kid because it had Godzilla in it.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

The “ewwww transpeople” bit in the early part of the episode is also pretty yikes.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"They're YEARS ahead of us" and then homer making GBS threads on the cam

"I once knew a man from Nantucket"

"What did I do to deserve this? ...oh right."

"You liked Rashomon"
"That's not how I remember it" is a great line that could have been in the golden era, but as you'd expect they rush it out with more dialogue.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 19, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Toxic Mental posted:

"You liked Rashomon"
"That's not how I remember it"

nearly every (good seasons) Simpsons episode made references I didn't get at the time

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

One big problem with rewatching the Japan episode today is that it’s indicative of lot of things that would become hallmarks of new Simpsons- like the “Simpsons travel to *blank*” episodes, the heightening of wacky hijinks, punching down, etc.

But at the time it did still feel fresh to have them go so far into wacky/non-believable territory, not that they hadn’t done crazy plots before but it was rarer. It also helped there were some actually good jokes! I remember liking that episode a lot as a kid, it’s just that watching it today reminds you of how broken the show would become.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sourdough Sam posted:

The biggest problem with the song is that it stops and starts. So you have a line, then some dialog, and then another line. And that can work, but the song doesn't really have any flow to it. It has a really forgettable melody that just feels perfunctory.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love the weightless can-can where it's just a row of paper-doll dudes kicking way faster than any human ever could, and nothing in the music suggesting a can-can makes any sense

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Did Kevin Michael Richardson voice Hook in anything before or did they just grab someone from their bench

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WeaponX posted:

One big problem with rewatching the Japan episode today is that it’s indicative of lot of things that would become hallmarks of new Simpsons- like the “Simpsons travel to *blank*” episodes, the heightening of wacky hijinks, punching down, etc.

But at the time it did still feel fresh to have them go so far into wacky/non-believable territory, not that they hadn’t done crazy plots before but it was rarer. It also helped there were some actually good jokes! I remember liking that episode a lot as a kid, it’s just that watching it today reminds you of how broken the show would become.

As an Asian American (though not Japanese) I always found that episode a bit uncomfortable though the decent jokes still shined. Generally I never thought it was well written or anything though. A lot of Asian jokes of the time were lazy stereotypes anyway so I let a lot of comedies slide.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I remember getting a lot of flack from friends at the time for not liking that episode. IMO, it was an early example of the sort of problems that would eventually plague the show.

It wasn't quite jockey elf or scream-o-pillar bad, but it was getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1573467373025230849?s=46&t=lkNcdlPyOKRZCyYafl6Rhg
https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1573467379148931073?s=46&t=lkNcdlPyOKRZCyYafl6Rhg
https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1573467384769282060?s=46&t=lkNcdlPyOKRZCyYafl6Rhg