Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, Elantris is rough compared to his later works, but a Sanderson ending is a Sanderson ending no matter the era, he's always been strong at sticking the landing and Elantris is no exception imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The two things that still stick out to me about Elantris are the ending (of course) and how good Sanderson is at writing a character at their lowest low and how they eventually persevere. It’s a great theme through the cosmere specifically.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Elantris is not a great book but it has some great characters/ideas. I hold Hrathen as being a perfect example of what makes Sanderson a solid writer, as over the top as his stuff can be I think that character comes out wonderfully and makes the read worth it.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
So supposedly there is a Kandra active on Roshar in the Stormlight books? Does anyone know where in the series that is hinted at?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Paddyo posted:

So supposedly there is a Kandra active on Roshar in the Stormlight books? Does anyone know where in the series that is hinted at?

I believe it's only been confirmed in Q&As. All we know for sure is that they're female

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'm pretty sure that's explicitly a WOB thing and no one would know otherwise.

e; https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332-jordancon-2018/#e9504

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I am sure its going to be Melaan, wearing the elderly body and bones of her BFF Wayne and stealing some of his personality in the way Kandra do

500 years of Wayne

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

I am sure its going to be Melaan, wearing the elderly body and bones of her BFF Wayne and stealing some of his personality in the way Kandra do

500 years of Wayne

Can't be, I'm afraid. Mistborn Era 2 and Stormlight Era 1 are supposed to be roughly contemporaneous. In fact I think Mistborn Era 2 takes place entirely after Stormlight 5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe they go back in time in Mistborn Era 3 back to Stormlight 1 :monocle:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Anshu posted:

Can't be, I'm afraid. Mistborn Era 2 and Stormlight Era 1 are supposed to be roughly contemporaneous. In fact I think Mistborn Era 2 takes place entirely after Stormlight 5.

With a story taking place over millennia contemporaneous is still like +/- 80 years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

M_Gargantua posted:

With a story taking place over millennia contemporaneous is still like +/- 80 years.

As Anshu said, Mistborn 2 (and thus MeLaan meeting Wayne in the first place happen in the time skip between SA 5 and SA 6. You can see this in the Rhythm of War epigraphs, where Harmony speaks about potentially having found his sword that can also protect, i.e. he has seen Wax in the Roughs.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

EDIT: This isn’t the Wheel of Time thread!

The man called M fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2022

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Looks like we have a cover and release date for Bastille vs the Evil Librarians. September 20 of this year!

https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/products/bastille-vs-the-evil-librarians-hardcover

I thought Janci did a great job with the Skyward novellas. Even though they don't get talked about here since they're kids books, I enjoyed them.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm guessing Paalm is the hidden kandra in Stormlight. As noted the Wax and Wayne series is set chronologically shortly after the first 5 SA books. Paalm got that mysterious corrupting spike from somewhere, Roshar/Odium is good possibility. Maybe we'll see her get spiked in SA5 setting up her later events with Wax.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Fezz posted:

Looks like we have a cover and release date for Bastille vs the Evil Librarians. September 20 of this year!

https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/products/bastille-vs-the-evil-librarians-hardcover

I thought Janci did a great job with the Skyward novellas. Even though they don't get talked about here since they're kids books, I enjoyed them.

That first book is awesome, and so is Steelheart. I think they're both better than. Stormlight. Problem with Skyward is that the sequel is so tonally different. I still haven't finished it or read any of the others. The Reckoners series is really good up until the finale, where in a rare happening for Sanderson the ending is just a wet thud.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Subvisual Haze posted:

I'm guessing Paalm is the hidden kandra in Stormlight. As noted the Wax and Wayne series is set chronologically shortly after the first 5 SA books. Paalm got that mysterious corrupting spike from somewhere, Roshar/Odium is good possibility. Maybe we'll see her get spiked in SA5 setting up her later events with Wax.

New Trell = Taravangian, illuminati confirmed

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fezz posted:

Hah excellent, I'm halfway through book 4 with my kids and they were asking if book 5 was the last, and I told them I was pretty sure 6 was the last and it was coming out November, though I think I'm conflating that with W&W 7.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm halfway through Stormlight #2 after having read the OG Mistborn trilogy earlier this year. Heard all the hubbub about Sanderson's kickstarter, and checked it out only for Sanderson to spoil the nature of Wit/Hoid to me in his loving opening letter. :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

AlternateNu posted:

I'm halfway through Stormlight #2 after having read the OG Mistborn trilogy earlier this year. Heard all the hubbub about Sanderson's kickstarter, and checked it out only for Sanderson to spoil the nature of Wit/Hoid to me in his loving opening letter. :argh:

Wit/Hoid is someone I've told everyone I've recommended Sanderson to about before they even read a single sentence of the Cosmere. How else are you supposed to look out for him?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know that this is really spoilers but I'll mark it as such since Brandon himself did in his Stormlight Update over on Reddit:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

There are some interesting lore secrets here to reveal, and the climax is something I’ve been building to since book one—indeed, you’ll find death rattles from the first volume referencing the events here in this sequence.

I cannot overstate how excited I am for this book, man.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Sab669 posted:

I don't know that this is really spoilers but I'll mark it as such since Brandon himself did in his Stormlight Update over on Reddit:

I cannot overstate how excited I am for this book, man.

If he needs 9 more months to stick the landing of this first half I’m all for it. At least he keeps us on the loop unlike Rothfuss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

If he needs 9 more months to stick the landing of this first half I’m all for it. At least he keeps us on the loop unlike Rothfuss

Rothfuss would have to write something for there to be anything to keep people in the loop about.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rings of Power is loving around with Julia sets

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
stormlight action figures when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9yc_6eQeNI

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Looking forward to getting a nendoroid of The Thrill.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise/stormlight-premium-miniatures

And by Today, I mean an estimated delivery date of July 2023. There's a Chull miniature :3:

Interesting timing for the Kickstarter to go Live right around the time that Moonbreaker game has its Playtests going on / enters Early Access at the end of this month. I guess that game is kind of off topic for the Book Barn, but his name's attached so I just wanted to chip and say I couldn't put it down this weekend. Very fun to play, and the mini painting tool was impressively easy to use.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 13, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I am absolutely all in for everything on the Kickstarter except the Kaladin/Szeth statue (which looks badass but I'm not a big statue person), so if I want ALL painted figures offered, would I go with the $175 pledge? Basically want all the painted figures in the trailer and don't really care for the unpainted miniatures but will get them for the sake of it.

e: counted eight painted characters in the first 30 seconds of the trailer but then it shows only four painted in the following snippet so I'm a bit confused.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 13, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Louisgod posted:

I am absolutely all in for everything on the Kickstarter except the Kaladin/Szeth statue (which looks badass but I'm not a big statue person), so if I want ALL painted figures offered, would I go with the $175 pledge? Basically want all the painted figures in the trailer and don't really care for the unpainted miniatures but will get them for the sake of it.

e: counted eight painted characters in the first 30 seconds of the trailer but then it shows only four painted in the following snippet so I'm a bit confused.

Seems like the $1 Pledge + $50 Addon is the cheapest way to get all the Painted ones.

I think the paintings in the video are just a "what they could look like" kind of render.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

Seems like the $1 Pledge + $50 Addon is the cheapest way to get all the Painted ones.

I think the paintings in the video are just a "what they could look like" kind of render.

Ok that's what it seemed like. I went with the $175 pledge, which seems to be everything minus the large statue, and added a painting kit. Looking forward to sharing my hosed up painting jobs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are these miniatures for a game, or just for fun?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Are these miniatures for a game, or just for fun?

Just for people who like painting.

Or for people who don't like painting but want cool minis to show off :v:

I'm sorely tempted to go All In because I'm a consumer whore, but man my will to paint minis is so inconsistent. I'll get the urge to do it, then don't do it again for like a year. By the time these things get delivered, who knows how long they'll collect dust until I bust 'em out.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 13, 2022

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Is it just me or is the pricing for just the unpainted minis ludicrously high? I feel like they're charging for twenty minis what I paid Reaper for at least a hundred minis.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Reaper bones are absurdly cheap and these should be higher quality I hope.

But yes the price did seem quite high.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I am unsure if I like the direction that the Skyward series is heading. Skyward made sense with a good ending, Starsight was still good but it started going in the "wrong" direction near the middle end of the book, and I am unsure if I like Cytonic. I thought this was a trilogy but at this rate it's going to be another Stormlight with a bunch of books. It's kind of making me question if I ever really liked Sanderson's work to begin with if that makes any sense.

I really don't like that Mbot was just trashed and now he's a drone. I thought the hyperdrive slug concept was a good twist but it feels like Mbot as a character changed far too drastically.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Monolith. posted:

I am unsure if I like the direction that the Skyward series is heading.

I am unsure if I like Cytonic. I thought this was a trilogy but at this rate it's going to be another Stormlight with a bunch of books.

Just one: Defiant is gonna be the last in series

Cytonic is not great. He talked about it being actively bad in the beta draft at the release event:
https://youtu.be/-zNhFvEi4M0

Even after he fixed whatever he fixed between the beta draft and the release, it's still the worst book he's published in a while. I suspect it's because Skyward sets you up to expect an ensemble cast, but then the series is just the wacky adventures of Spensa. That's how he's always conceived of the series and what he executed, but it's just super weird because the spin-off Skyward Flight novellas felt like the main storyline he should have written to follow up on the promises in Skyward instead of doing them as spin-offs with another author writing them. Janci did ok with it but I don't think she quite got the character voices 100% (FM in particular felt off to me).

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I liked cytonic, but it and the 3 novellas felt like they should have just been one book. I don't know if it was to get 4 sales instead of one, or if multiple pov is above a ya reading level, or if the length would have made publishers unhappy, but if the chapters were interspersed I think it would have been much better.

Also I agree the whole solo adventures of Spensa each book was not good. I like the other characters, stop abandoning them. It's still better than reckoners though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

more like, sightonic

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I liked cytonic, but it and the 3 novellas felt like they should have just been one book. I don't know if it was to get 4 sales instead of one, or if multiple pov is above a ya reading level, or if the length would have made publishers unhappy, but if the chapters were interspersed I think it would have been much better.

Also I agree the whole solo adventures of Spensa each book was not good. I like the other characters, stop abandoning them. It's still better than reckoners though.

I agree that the novellas and cytonic should of been together. The Spensa show really just didnt do it alone for me. Definitely my least favorite of the series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lost metal preview is starting

https://www.tor.com/2022/09/19/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-prologue-and-chapters-1-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm so conflicted on wanting / needing more to read... But not wanting to only have a chapter or three at a time