Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Does anyone see any glaring issues with this? The ethernet port on my current mobo went, and maybe some USB ports too. My current 650W PSU is over 10 years old now, and I think maybe its having issues now.

I have a RX470 as a graphics card, so nothing crazy there, maybe upgrade it next year. I don't do much gaming these days, mostly use for browsing, photo editing, occasional light gaming.

I'm considering dropping the cooler, I already have the same one, but its old and it doesn't fit on the AM4 sockets. Coolmaster had a upgrade kit, but it seems to be out of stock and I can't find it anywhere else.

There is also a $50 mail in rebate on the MOBO, but for some reason won't show up in the copy paste.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($213.55 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.70 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($192.09 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($81.34 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($101.69 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($118.64 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $757.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-19 14:11 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's hard to evaluate the Canadian pricing, but so long as you can't build something similar with a 12400 and a B660 in your region it looks fine, sure. those two roughly compete, and you're replacing the cooler anyway.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd go with something other than a 212 Evo for the cooler - the main advantage it used to have was price, and at this point that advantage is gone. I would go with one of these over a 212 right now, depending on budget / aesthetics.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i feel like there's some reason people recommend the sn550 or sn570 over that one but i don't know it off the top of my head.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Yeah it looks like the 12400 is $100 more expensive, and mobo similar price. It kind of looks like the vendors are trying to get rid of stock because the 5600 is very cheap at the moment.

Those coolers are all more expensive in Canada lol

Thanks for taking a look, now I need to figure out if I can actually afford it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well if it makes it easier more or less any single tower (ie, one metal rectangle standing) single 120mm fan cooler will almost certainly be fine. if there are any cheap or on promo the biggest downside to a cheap one is probably mounting being a pain in the rear end.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i feel like there's some reason people recommend the sn550 or sn570 over that one but i don't know it off the top of my head.

Because the price difference typically isn't worth the performance boost (it's basically nothing). If we're talking $5, sure. But more than $10 I probably wouldn't.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remembered I had a computer I built for the stepkid that he no longer needs, so I decided to use that to build a secondary desktop around the 3600X I upgraded from in my main machine. It will take the place of the Phenom II 965 BE that I'm currently typing this on. I need to see what the RAM in the old computer is, but I figure for the cost of a mobo I have the parts to build a pretty nice machine to live at my mom's house for the times I end up housesitting for her.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

Hello. I don't think my old motherboard is compatible with newer parts so I am looking at starting over with a new PC.

My old PC is
ASRock AB350 Pro4
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

What country are you in?
USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Gaming, some VR, Unity, Visual Studio, and all other stuff needed as my main computer.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I would like to not waste money. Ok, not waste a lot of money.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
Running at medium or better settings and running multiple things at once would be nice
Monitor is 2560x1440 at 144 htz
VR 2x1440x1600 at 160 htz

What do you think of this build?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card ($729.99 EVGA B stock)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1614.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-19 18:18 EDT-0400

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drat IT ALL

I got sooooo close to returning my computer without a restocking fee, and the customer service rep made it seem like that would be the case, until the very end of the call when i had to confirm if there would be one, which unfortunately there would be. :argh:

however, it seems i could possibly make lemonade out of lemons here. they said they would waive the restocking fee if i bought something else from them.

can i get some help on that front, folks? :pray:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Interweb posted:

drat IT ALL

I got sooooo close to returning my computer without a restocking fee, and the customer service rep made it seem like that would be the case, until the very end of the call when i had to confirm if there would be one, which unfortunately there would be. :argh:

however, it seems i could possibly make lemonade out of lemons here. they said they would waive the restocking fee if i bought something else from them.

They make some decent monitors, if that's something you'd be interested in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody build in this?

DEEPCOOL MACUBE 310

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811853102?Item=N82E16811853102

It's very cheap ($35 right now), and the low power parts I'll be using would probably be fine with the limited airflow, but I'm thinking since a case is reusable between builds, it's probably something worth investing a little bit more into.

e:omg, I assumed at least the top was ventilated

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

apparently the magnets holding that side panel are weak and it the panel will fall off with the lightest of jostles.

If you're putting your old 970 and i5-6400 in there, then i dunno, those wouldn't overheat but the PC would be a decent bit louder than one with good airflow. I don't think most people really care about that all that much, though, and it's probably $50 more to get an alternative with actual good airflow. It would also restrict upgradability, though. I wouldn't want to put a 200W+ GPU in there, for instance.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It looks like there's ample mountings in the front and the top for fans, which then sit about six millimeters from solid metal sheets

The thin rib of ventilation along the edges is... optimistic, maybe even a little charming

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

apparently the magnets holding that side panel are weak and it the panel will fall off with the lightest of jostles.

If you're putting your old 970 and i5-6400 in there, then i dunno, those wouldn't overheat but the PC would be a decent bit louder than one with good airflow. I don't think most people really care about that all that much, though, and it's probably $50 more to get an alternative with actual good airflow. It would also restrict upgradability, though. I wouldn't want to put a 200W+ GPU in there, for instance.

I was thinking of the SAMA IM02. mATX only but the form factor is a plus, and from what I gather airflow is decent. $62 atm.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811197019

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking of the SAMA IM02. mATX only but the form factor is plus, and from what I gather airflow is decent. $62 atm.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811197019

I think a couple goons have that case and have said positive things about it. Just beware that the cable routing is going to be on the tricky side with a full atx psu and matx mobo, especially if the psu isn't modular.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

drat IT ALL

"CRAFTED FOR EXPANSION
Tool-less access to components, up to 4x 120mm system fans, 7 available storage upgrade ports, with industry-standard upgrades throughout."

You pay a bit more but have a 3070, fans, and maybe standard parts everywhere.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-40l-desktop-gt21-0385xt-bundle-pc
12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR
16 GB memory; 1 TB HDD storage; 512 GB SSD storage

use the code 10GAMER2022
https://www.hp.com/wcsstore/hpusstore/Treatment/images/Gamer2022-disclaimerv2.pdf

$1,466.99 + TAX
YOU SAVED $683.00 ON YOUR ORDER

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

CoolCab posted:

the SN570 is TLC while the SN350 is QLC (in addition to being slower read/write). SN550 used to be TLC but got stealth-downgraded to QLC a while ago

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Anybody build in this?

DEEPCOOL MACUBE 310

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811853102?Item=N82E16811853102

It's very cheap ($35 right now), and the low power parts I'll be using would probably be fine with the limited airflow, but I'm thinking since a case is reusable between builds, it's probably something worth investing a little bit more into.

e:omg, I assumed at least the top was ventilated

I have one of those, and it is okay but the airflow is not great. Since I upgraded the CPU and GPU I've been having to take the front panel off while I'm gaming to keep the temps from spiking. Taking the front off makes the case have great airflow, at least.

Cable routing is indeed a bit of a pain in the rear end, and I ended up using the retention clip on both the glass and metal sides to keep the thing from popping open. I recently rerouted the cables a bit and it is better, but I still wouldn't trust the magnets to keep it in place.

It is a nice-looking case, though.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Nvidia are due to announce new graphics cards and I'm going to upgrade from my GTX 1080.

How can I make an accurate guess of what power needs I have? FYI I upgraded everything except the graphics card half a year ago - my current specs are

Intel 12600K
16gb DDR4 RAM
2 M.2 SSDs
1 2.5" SSD
750w PSU
GTX 1080

I want to upgrade to whatever is the 3070 successor - around the same price point at least.

I know we're guessing at this point but what number am I looking for in the tech specs to know if I need a new PSU? Is it TDP? And if so what is my TDP 'budget' here?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ColdIronsBound posted:

Nvidia are due to announce new graphics cards and I'm going to upgrade from my GTX 1080.

How can I make an accurate guess of what power needs I have? FYI I upgraded everything except the graphics card half a year ago - my current specs are

Intel 12600K
16gb DDR4 RAM
2 M.2 SSDs
1 2.5" SSD
750w PSU
GTX 1080

I want to upgrade to whatever is the 3070 successor - around the same price point at least.

I know we're guessing at this point but what number am I looking for in the tech specs to know if I need a new PSU? Is it TDP? And if so what is my TDP 'budget' here?

It's TDP, but we don't have official TDP figures yet. Depending on how Nvidia prices these cards, you could be looking at either the 4080 12GB (285W according to leaks) or the 4070 (who knows—the 4080 12GB was supposed to be the 4070 but Nvidia changed their minds at the last minute). You'll likely be able to get away with an 750W PSU, but I don't think it's worth worrying too much about this right away anyway. We'll get a lot more information once these cards come out. Though with that said, I wouldn't expect to see the full lineup of 40-series cards right away. The 4080 12GB may come late this year and the 4070 may slip into 2023.

What PSU do you have right now? Some are more prone to random shut-offs than others when used with the 30-series cards, and this will probably stay true for the 40-series.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What PSU do you have right now? Some are more prone to random shut-offs than others when used with the 30-series cards, and this will probably stay true for the 40-series.

Thanks this is helpful - I have this PSU - Corsair RM750 (2021) 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ColdIronsBound posted:

Thanks this is helpful - I have this PSU - Corsair RM750 (2021) 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply

I bet that will work just fine with any sub-300W card with the rest of your PC. It's a good PSU not prone to shutting down due to GPU power spikes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Save money, order items from Amazon to save a few euros. Amazon saves a few euros too and ships said items loose in a paper bag.

Unboxing: Better check... oh. Edit: seems I can't link a video with a straight url. Well too bad.https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2022/temp/VID20220920164105.mp4

Maybe something's missing?

Additional Instructions for mailing your parcel
  • Print the label.
  • Securely pack the items you are returning, include the barcode with the original packing slip in the package and stick the Return Label on the outside of the package.
  • Securely pack the items to be returned in a box, preferably in the original box or box provided by Amazon.

Do I really have to return the RAM in that lovely rear end Amazon paper bag? Well if they insist...

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
My new Motherboard case and Power Supply arrived recently so i started to put things together today.
It's been a few years since I last built a PC but everything seems straightfoward but there is one additional cable I found while clearing up that I can't identify;
https://imgur.com/VKVkhHp

All of this has cost me more than I'd like so I'd prefer to not power anything on until I know everything is properly connected.
If this is something that is vital on newer systems I'd appreciate a heads-up as I can't find any reference to it on any of the instructions or paperwork which was supplied with the equipment.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ghost Who Walks posted:

If this is something that is vital on newer systems I'd appreciate a heads-up as I can't find any reference to it on any of the instructions or paperwork which was supplied with the equipment.

It's a molex power cable, the opposite of something vital on newer systems. You're good.

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
Really?
it's a lot smaller than those I've seen before; Those sockets are just about big enough to stick a (sewing) pin into rather than the chunkier type that used to by used for my Disk drives.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Ghost Who Walks posted:

Really?
it's a lot smaller than those I've seen before; Those sockets are just about big enough to stick a (sewing) pin into rather than the chunkier type that used to by used for my Disk drives.

That looks like the ones I've seen on LED strips. Is there an arrow pointing to one of the connectors?

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
Yes, there's an arrow on the larger end.

LED could make sense as I think the fans on the case have lights. If that's all it is I'll leave it be - don't care for illuminated cases.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rinkles posted:

They make some decent monitors, if that's something you'd be interested in.

oh drat, didn't even think of that. guess i could save quite a bit of money there..

spunkshui posted:

"CRAFTED FOR EXPANSION
Tool-less access to components, up to 4x 120mm system fans, 7 available storage upgrade ports, with industry-standard upgrades throughout."

You pay a bit more but have a 3070, fans, and maybe standard parts everywhere.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-40l-desktop-gt21-0385xt-bundle-pc
12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR
16 GB memory; 1 TB HDD storage; 512 GB SSD storage

use the code 10GAMER2022
https://www.hp.com/wcsstore/hpusstore/Treatment/images/Gamer2022-disclaimerv2.pdf

$1,466.99 + TAX
YOU SAVED $683.00 ON YOUR ORDER

"MAYBE standard parts"? do we know for sure?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

oh drat, didn't even think of that. guess i could save quite a bit of money there..

"MAYBE standard parts"? do we know for sure?

I haven’t done any real research beyond checking to see if the other configuration made that claim.

It doesn’t, which is a good sign.

I think I did find a case that uses a regular motherboard / cpu cooler / power supply.

I don’t know if those front fans have any access to air.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heads up for the thread

These are Nvidia’s claims and should be taken with a metric ton of salt.

- RTX 4090: $1599. Available October 12th. Promised performance of up to 2x a 3090Ti

- RTX 4080 16GB: $1,199. Promised performance of up to 2x a 3080Ti

- RTX 4080 (12GB) - $899. Promised performance of more than a 3090Ti.

At first glance, we’re looking at a $200 MSRP bump for the 80-class cards. The rumors were originally that the 12GB 80-class card is more akin to the 3070 cards though (edit: this is basically true. Cuda core count + TDP is quite similar to the 3070Ti), so it might actually be a $500 MSRP class jump.

some Reddit nerd posted:

GTX 980 - $549 in 2014

GTX 1080 - $599 / $699 in 2016

RTX 2080 - $699 / $799 in 2018

RTX 3080 - $699 / $799 in 2020/2022

RTX 4080 - $899 / $1,199 in 2022

Another Reddit nerd posted:

Adjusted for inflation/normalized to 2022 dollars:

GTX 980 - $687

GTX 1080 - $739 / $863

RTX 2080 - $824 / $942

RTX 3080 - $800 / $914

RTX 4080 - $899 / $1,199

AIBs will be even more expensive than these MSRPs for the most part.

Based on how the 30xx cards were marketed, my pure conjecture guess is the 4080 12GB will perform somewhere around a non-Ti 3090 for most stuff, with the 16GB 3080 is gonna look about 10-15% above that.

There ain’t no way they’re pulling 2x 3090 Ti performance out of a $1600 card either.

I expect the fire sales of 30xx cards to stop soon due to stock levels because everyone is mad as hell about this pricing, and people are going to snatch up 30xx cards in response. It’ll happen very quickly if independent benchmarks don’t pan out well here.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 20, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ghost Who Walks posted:

Really?

My bad I misread the scale. Then yeah it's something to do with ARGB and not crucial.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I expect the fire sales of 30xx cards to stop soon due to stock levels because everyone is mad as hell about this pricing, and people are going to snatch up 30xx cards in response. It’ll happen very quickly if independent benchmarks don’t pan out well here.

I don't think this is how things will pan out. Nvidia and their board partners have warehouses full of unsold GPUs. The prices for the 3080 and under still have not dipped below MSRP. What's happening here is that Nvidia is refusing to lower the prices of the 30-series very far to clear out built-up inventory, and they also don't want to delay the 40-series any further. The solution is to raise the prices of the 40 series to stupid levels in order to give the 30-series more time to sell at MSRP. Once they've sold enough of those cards, they'll realize they actually need to sell the 40-series now and will lower prices on that.

I don't see the current cards becoming more expensive at any point. Prices will continue to fall incrementally until they're no longer available and the 40-series has replaced them.

I don't really know how long it will take for this to happen. This could just be a momentary thing and in a few months we'll have $700 4080s or whatever. Or it could be much longer term. What if Nvidia chooses not to do a 4070 and lower for another year, with them relying entirely on Ampere for that performance range? The rumors about new 3060 and 3060 Ti revisions may hint toward this possibility.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 20, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was honestly expecting $1999 for the 4090, but I suppose that'll probably be the MSRP for the inevitable 4090Ti, and I can't see the 4090Ti being anything but a 24GB card with better (but not more) RAM, more CUDA cores, and goosed numbers.

I'm still fine with my 3090 Kingpin, even though EVGA is :rip: with regards to graphics cards and the $60 10y extended warranty I fished for. "8K Gaming" is on no one's radar, and honestly I think the "next big thing" is 165-240Hz 4K displays. On my system, I'm fine with my UW 1440P@120Hz until the next-gen OLED Ultrawides come out, or the first 120-165Hz 5K2K display comes out, which a 3090 should still drive just fine for a while, and I honestly bought it because I wanted the 24GB frame buffer more than anything because that's where game designers are getting the most "indulgent" of late with regards to hardware requirements.

nVidia really did gently caress themselves and inadvertently give gamers a gift with the 30 series, because they're going to be the new 10 series for a good goddamned long time.

Question: is everything involved in DLSS 3.x backwards compatible with the 30 series and earlier? I haven't had a chance to read in-depth other than some potentially-misinformed comments about "for 40 series only."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The base 4080 technically shouldn’t even be called a 4080

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MarcusSA posted:

4080 SE. Or the 4075.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

4080 lite

Same taste (lol not) Fewer calories

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Question: is everything involved in DLSS 3.x backwards compatible with the 30 series and earlier? I haven't had a chance to read in-depth other than some potentially-misinformed comments about "for 40 series only."
DLSS 3 is indeed 40 series only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah, the 4080 12GB in particular is going to barely be any more powerful in rasterization than a 3080 12GB. (if it is on par with a 3090, that's still probably less than 10% better?) And then from there things scale ridiculously with the 4090 potentially being almost 2x faster with just one SKU in between.

I posted this in the GPU thread, but there's an argument to be had that at the very high end, ray tracing performance improvements matter more than rasterization improvements since we've basically already solved rasterization and taken it about as far as devs are willing to go with it. But even when just limited to RT, don't expect a huge increase with the 4080 12GB.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 21, 2022