Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got the itch to play some more GTA V after the leaks and god drat the PS5 version is so pretty.

It really makes the saints row reboot look like a total piece of poo poo next to it, even if you make exceptions for the fact it’s also broken as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GTA5 and RDR2 are must play games imo but RDR2 is the eternal GOAT

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got the itch to play some more GTA V after the leaks and god drat the PS5 version is so pretty.

It really makes the saints row reboot look like a total piece of poo poo next to it, even if you make exceptions for the fact it’s also broken as gently caress.

It really is one of the nicest looking games on the PS5. Cruising around during sunset is bliss :cool:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Guillermus posted:

I should give GTA 5 single player a try some day, I own it somehow and not via PS+ (drunk purchase?) but RDR2 looks more interesting and I don't think I can play both back to back without getting burned.

100% do RDR2 first. GTA5 is fun enough (i bought it for $10 a few months ago, beat it recently) but at the end of the day it's more GTA. RDR2 was one of my favorite games of the last decade.

curried lamb of God posted:

I haven't gamed on a PC in more than a decade, but it also seems like "total conversion" mods like Counter-Strike or TFC have gone by the wayside - apparently game engines are way too complex these days for an amateur team to build those types of mods.

They're still out there. There are a couple of total conversions for Skyrim in particular that are impressive as hell. Enderal: Forgotten Stories is the biggie that always gets mentioned, and it's on Steam.

The other really obvious one is the Star Trek: New Horizons mod for Stellaris. Suuuuuuper lore-packed total conversion of Stellaris where you can take any empire from the Enterprise era all the way through the most recent stuff. Massive differences in how the civilizations work too. Forming the federation is a whole series of things you need to do, while playing the Borg is different enough to almost be a different game.

Battletech also has a fuckload of mods, although fewer of them are that kind of total conversion thing. Mechwarrior 5 also.

I mean, I'm loving my PS5 but loving :laffo: at the idea that PC modding is dead or something because the engines got too complex. Some devs lock poo poo down really tight, but the ones who let modders do their thing tend to have a whole ecosystem of crazy things result.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly if I was going to make a hot take guess about what's killed specifically multiplayer total conversions, its the fact that everyone has pulled game hosting tools out in favor of requiring you to use their own matchmaking tools. Gone are the days of firing up BF42 and hitting up the goon server or even that one that is 24 hour rotations of your favorite map where you know people are mostly chill. Remember the days of having a favorites list of servers to play on?

No self-hosted servers means no way to use the framework of the latest multiplayer shooter to build your crazy multiplayer mod.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly if I was going to make a hot take guess about what's killed specifically multiplayer total conversions, its the fact that everyone has pulled game hosting tools out in favor of requiring you to use their own matchmaking tools. Gone are the days of firing up BF42 and hitting up the goon server or even that one that is 24 hour rotations of your favorite map where you know people are mostly chill. Remember the days of having a favorites list of servers to play on?

No self-hosted servers means no way to use the framework of the latest multiplayer shooter to build your crazy multiplayer mod.

Matchmaking rules but yeah I miss private servers. I think I played Battlefield 2 almost exclusively on KFS, good times.

I would like to address the premise that GTA6 must have taken a long while to build because GTA5 was released so long ago. I'm sure people were spitballing ideas but seems more likely to me that Rockstar worked on RDR2 and otherwise delayed production on GTA6 as long as GTA Online was printing money. GTA6 is probably a trojan horse for the new GTAO as far as execs are concerned, and any dates around its announcement and release would be considered in light of GTAO's engagement and revenue.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, I'm loving my PS5 but loving :laffo: at the idea that PC modding is dead or something because the engines got too complex.
It's not exactly dead but it will never thrive again like in the Quake/UT days. The engines are inherently less moddable, the asset pipelines are way more complex, and the tools are way less open. Skyrim is a weird example considering it's an ancient game based on an even more ancient engine, and Bethesda is probably the last remaining major studio releasing heavily moddable games, and that's only because they refuse to let go of their generations-old tech. And the unrepentant jankiness of their animation and scripting system is a direct result of that. I can't think of any modern 3D games where total conversions would even be possible. Most new game mods are just scripting/data changes or UI changes

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 19, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And if you want to make a true TC that replaces most or all of the original game assets, just fire up Unity or Unreal or whatever

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

RDR2 really is incredible. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to play it again, but I did almost everything and loved every minute of it. I hope Rockstar’s future projects doesn’t react too hard to the idiots who complained about RDR2’s feel and pace.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dinosaurs! posted:

RDR2 really is incredible. I don’t think I’ll ever have the time to play it again, but I did almost everything and loved every minute of it. I hope Rockstar’s future projects doesn’t react too hard to the idiots who complained about RDR2’s feel and pace.

Luckily I guarantee you that they will not give a single poo poo about those complaints :D

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Lol going by the leak, they did not give a poo poo about complaints.

:getin:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RDR2 is phenomenal but is also very much a one and done experience.

Edit: I think this is why online didn’t take off like GTA did

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Brightman posted:

. I think it would be neat if the big companies involved in these leaks leaned into it, and started curating development footage and writing up PR blogs to explain how it's not final and such. Might increase hype a lot, might not, I haven't looked into whether this approach versus the regular one has been researched or whatever.

Way too risky, people are too stupid. Look at what happened when a Spiderman trailer came out and there were fewer puddles (because it hadnt rained)
SO much promising and fun seeming stuff gets cut during development for various reasons, especially on these massive projects where there's a bit of a 'throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks' approach to using manpower at times, it would be a nightmare to constantly explain why things have gone. It's less of an issue with indie games because they have to make more careful decisions and mostly try to avoid working on things that might get cut.

In the last 5 years we've seen more of a trend to withold materials as late as possible to avoid this, you'd never convince a developer that going in the opposite direction is a good idea. Everyone in the industry is pushing for even shorter PR cycles.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

cubicle gangster posted:

Way too risky, people are too stupid. Look at what happened when a Spiderman trailer came out and there were fewer puddles (because it hadnt rained)
SO much promising and fun seeming stuff gets cut during development for various reasons, especially on these massive projects where there's a bit of a 'throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks' approach to using manpower at times, it would be a nightmare to constantly explain why things have gone. It's less of an issue with indie games because they have to make more careful decisions and mostly try to avoid working on things that might get cut.

In the last 5 years we've seen more of a trend to withold materials as late as possible to avoid this, you'd never convince a developer that going in the opposite direction is a good idea. Everyone in the industry is pushing for even shorter PR cycles.

hype is both a gift and a curse

I remember people freaking out about the puddles in the Watch Dogs 1 trailer and then getting pissed off that they weren't the same in the final version. IIRC on the PC version you just had to change a 0 to a 1 in the config to enable that level of graphics.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RDR2 is phenomenal but is also very much a one and done experience.

Edit: I think this is why online didn’t take off like GTA did

Granted I'm a freak who loved the stuff people vocally hated about RDR2, but I was all set to give RDRO a shot after beating it. Then I read up and learned that it was starved for updates and the community had mostly soured on it by that time. Maybe someone who played RDRO closer to launch has more info, but I got the impression that R* let RDRO wither in favor of GTAO.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Iirc, a lot of it was that they let anyone hog tie you and steal your stuff but there was no real way to deal with it if they got you and most people gave up with since it became a popular thing to do

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dinosaurs! posted:

Game development is nuts now. I remember feeling like the wait from GTA3 to VC was long. Poor kids have been playing GTA5 a goddamn decade.

We waited over a year for VC! A whole year!

Man, I remember playing GTA3 so much that after beating every main and side mission, I came up with my own challenges like flying the Dodo from one island to another, doing it with 5 stars, and then figuring out I could get the tank to fly. I think I may have played it too much because by the time San Andreas came around, I was sort of tired of it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Cowman posted:

hype is both a gift and a curse

I remember people freaking out about the puddles in the Watch Dogs 1 trailer and then getting pissed off that they weren't the same in the final version. IIRC on the PC version you just had to change a 0 to a 1 in the config to enable that level of graphics.

Watch Dogs suffered really heavily from the hype to launch reality in a way few games since have. They did not manage expectations well. It certainly didn’t help that the protagonist looked like a total anti-corporate badass avenging his dead family in the early material and ended up being a weird dork who was avenging his niece who was also still alive (?) and that he had actually hurt in a car accident.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Also the early trailer had graphics tech not in the final game at all kind of set expectations rather high. The shadow quality in that trailer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Watch Dogs suffered really heavily from the hype to launch reality in a way few games since have. They did not manage expectations well. It certainly didn’t help that the protagonist looked like a total anti-corporate badass avenging his dead family in the early material and ended up being a weird dork who was avenging his niece who was also still alive (?) and that he had actually hurt in a car accident.

He ended up being a weird dork and the entire game ended up being GTA with magic cell phones

Watchdogs 2 is night-and-day better because it does fulfill the promise to a much greater extent

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cowman posted:

hype is both a grift and a curse

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Watch Dogs 1 loving sucked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I will give them this, the hide-and-seek invasion multiplayer was fun as hell

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

haveblue posted:

He ended up being a weird dork and the entire game ended up being GTA with magic cell phones

Watchdogs 2 is night-and-day better because it does fulfill the promise to a much greater extent

Is watchdog 2 worth playing? I got it for free on PC on some give away a long time ago and just never bothered.

Edit: mostly because I heard

Watch Dogs 1 loving sucked

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah my mind was blown after Elden ring came out seeing all the videos of the cut questlines as well as like entire game mechanics that have leftover stuff in the game still, like this weird balloon glider thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2XQmeMy_4

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Watch Dogs 2 was ok. Still very much a Ubisoft tower climbing simulator but with a little drone instead of climbing though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE MILLION DOLLARS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Watch Dogs 2 was ok. Still very much a Ubisoft tower climbing simulator but with a little drone instead of climbing though.

The big thing WD2 adds is a lighthearted approach to the subject matter. WD1 is, like above, GTA with magic cell phones- the same dour gritty protagonist, the same too-realistic setting, the same focus on the underworld, the same encouragement to solve everything with firearms. The enemies are, from what I recall, mostly gang bosses and the tech is just window dressing and an excuse to have more moves available in combat scenarios. WD2, meanwhile, starts with the tech and lets it inspire everything. The setting is now a silicon valley dotcom utopia, brighter and happier and looser and more fun than the first one. The conflict is between the snarky younger generation and the rear end in a top hat tech bro who filled the city with cameras and drones. You have allies now, and they have personalities. Firearms are present, but not *necessary*- you can, and I did, play through almost the entire game with just a taser, gadgets, and the basic melee weapon. The missions are more imaginative and funnier and generally oriented around problem-solving rather than eliminating the opposition.

That said, it's still an Ubisoft open world, but I had so much more fun with 2 it's hard to believe it came out of the same team/company

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
“Ok guys, we’re doing a game about how governments and corporations are spying on us and doing some real crazy stuff, and our protagonist is going to take them down. We need some stakes here!”

“Ok easy peasy, what if this guy got in too deep and they end up offing his wife and kids and with nothing left to lose, he goes on a mission of revenge?”

“Great! Wait, this seems a little bit too much like Punisher or God of War or even Batman. Plus, we looked at our core demo and it turns out it’s mostly unmarried young men.”

“Well what if it’s his sister and her kids? That’s different than the usual.”

“Yeah, I like that. But marketing has said the dead family thing is too dark and gritty and really paints us into a corner. We don’t want this to be a revenge simulator.”

“Ok hear me out, what if it’s his niece and she got mildly injured in a car accident that, in a twist of irony, he actually caused?”

“Perfection. The perfect Ubisoft hero, an angry guy who goes around randomly murdering people like an unhinged incel spree killer. If people don’t love the lack of stakes, they’ll love that we over-promised on game features!”

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

The big thing WD2 adds is a lighthearted approach to the subject matter. WD1 is, like above, GTA with magic cell phones- the same dour gritty protagonist, the same too-realistic setting, the same focus on the underworld, the same encouragement to solve everything with firearms. The enemies are, from what I recall, mostly gang bosses and the tech is just window dressing and an excuse to have more moves available in combat scenarios. WD2, meanwhile, starts with the tech and lets it inspire everything. The setting is now a silicon valley dotcom utopia, brighter and happier and looser and more fun than the first one. The conflict is between the snarky younger generation and the rear end in a top hat tech bro who filled the city with cameras and drones. You have allies now, and they have personalities. Firearms are present, but not *necessary*- you can, and I did, play through almost the entire game with just a taser, gadgets, and the basic melee weapon. The missions are more imaginative and funnier and generally oriented around problem-solving rather than eliminating the opposition.

That said, it's still an Ubisoft open world, but I had so much more fun with 2 it's hard to believe it came out of the same team/company

I was irritated by the presence of guns, I had a hard time ignoring that the fun loving hacker collective had a gun printer. But they did make it possible to ignore gun stuff and that's cool. Also I appreciated that cutscenes would play out differently depending on whether you infiltrated an area yourself or via drone. I just wish they had cut out all the guns and made the hacking gameplay a bit deeper. There's a bold game design in there somewhere.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

acksplode posted:

I was irritated by the presence of guns, I had a hard time ignoring that the fun loving hacker collective had a gun printer. But they did make it possible to ignore gun stuff and that's cool. Also I appreciated that cutscenes would play out differently depending on whether you infiltrated an area yourself or via drone. I just wish they had cut out all the guns and made the hacking gameplay a bit deeper. There's a bold game design in there somewhere.

That would’ve been really cool and innovative. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to just remove the guns.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

As an aside to Ubisoft and GTA chat, Digital Happines just announced their newest game: Graveless! For the majority of you who have no idea who they are, they're a tiny Indonesian game studio that made the Dreadout series, a very strange Fatal Frame like game that had some serious heart where it lacked budget. It's a janky series but it's full of Indonesian ghosts which I personally have never seen in media so it was super interesting and terrifying seeing these unpredictable ghosts. Some were funny, some were sad, some were downright terrifying! Anyways, Graveless just got announced with a very barebones trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eL3Eo7bnY

It's gonna be janky as hell and probably not the best gameplay, more than likely very generic than outright bad, but the monster design is going to be sick as hell and there's going to be heart and charm in this game, I guarantee it. It'll probably be cheap too as they're a budget studio and price their stuff accordingly. I plan on picking it up when it comes out.

Edit: LinkedIn says they have about 11-50 employees total. Probably on the lower end of that.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lordfrikk posted:

Most Souls-inspired games focus way too much on combat and literally nothing else which is why they can't ever compare for me. Nioh 2 and Surge 2 are the only ones I like but it's still a wide gap between those and the real deal.

Jedi fallen order has the exploration and is probably the best souls clone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hate Jedi Fallen Order as a souls-like.

Why can you break a stormtrooper's posture, do an execution and impale them on a lightsaber, and they still survive? [on normal difficulty]

Why are the stormtroopers working together with wild animals to set up ambushes against you?

Why are you loving surfing around every level on Uncharted slides

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Only good Star Wars game remains Force Unleashed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Masters of Terras Kasi

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I enjoyed the heck out of the classic battelfronts. Yes they had their problems too but drat it was entertaining.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

That’s one of the worst Star Wars games

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate Jedi Fallen Order as a souls-like.

Why can you break a stormtrooper's posture, do an execution and impale them on a lightsaber, and they still survive? [on normal difficulty]

Why are the stormtroopers working together with wild animals to set up ambushes against you?

Why are you loving surfing around every level on Uncharted slides

I never got all the gnashing about the 80's action movie slides. It was sort of dumb that they included them as area transitions but they were in two or three levels iirc and you basically had to try to fail them. Also I don't remember not being able to kill storm troopers quickly. The tough enemies were like the big weird beasts that were hiding in corners of the levels.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bloodychill posted:

That would’ve been really cool and innovative. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to just remove the guns.

Guns feel so extraneous that I have a serious hunch it was the original idea. Then maybe marketing got wind of it and was like uh ok but how are we gonna put a guy holding a gun on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was a really fun game. I enjoyed it a bunch.

I also was tickled that the intro music was done by The Hu, a Mongolian metal band that I'm only aware of because of music nerds here on SA.