Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m reading old X-men comics. At first blush “claustrophobia” sounds like a lame weakness for a superhero but it comes up surprisingly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I’m reading old X-men comics. At first blush “claustrophobia” sounds like a lame weakness for a superhero but it comes up surprisingly often.

They tend to be in buildings that collapse, or get captured by villains at least temporarily.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

We need a flying character with acrophobia.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Esplanade posted:

Surprised that hasn't already been applied to Jessica Jones at some point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Esplanade posted:

isn't that one of the green lanterns, Jessica Cruz

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not a psychiatrist or a writer, but the idea of having a phobia over something that doesn't apply to you makes weird dramatic sense. Like, I'm pretty sure that if I had impregnable skin like Luke Cage, I wouldn't be nearly as scared of stinging/biting insects.

plus even if you were afraid of heights there's nothing stopping you from just hovering like a foot off the ground and air-skating everywhere like a shonen battle manga character

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

isn't that one of the green lanterns, Jessica Cruz

That's agoraphobia

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not a psychiatrist or a writer, but the idea of having a phobia over something that doesn't apply to you makes weird dramatic sense. Like, I'm pretty sure that if I had impregnable skin like Luke Cage, I wouldn't be nearly as scared of stinging/biting insects.

plus even if you were afraid of heights there's nothing stopping you from just hovering like a foot off the ground and air-skating everywhere like a shonen battle manga character

I mean, the whole thing about phobias is that they're irrational.

Plus just from a standpoint of the medium, most superheroes get their powers later in life (even mutants aren't born with them... usually) so they've had plenty of time to establish fears before they're physically immune to the causes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 19, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

They tend to be in buildings that collapse, or get captured by villains at least temporarily.

also, for some reason claremont villains always restrained storm with various forms of technobondage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its his fetish

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gee, you think?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Esplanade posted:

Meteor Man?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
now there's a movie i haven't seen in decades

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, for some reason claremont villains always restrained storm with various forms of technobondage.

They all instantly fall in love with her. A major character trait of Storm in these comics is that she is the most beautiful, most enchanting woman in the world. It's weird that later comics kinda dropped that.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Gripweed posted:

They all instantly fall in love with her. A major character trait of Storm in these comics is that she is the most beautiful, most enchanting woman in the world. It's weird that later comics kinda dropped that.

I think it makes sense from a storytelling standpoint. She was written as this near-perfect person (with her only flaw being claustrophobia), and her being the most enchanting woman on Earth who's also a hyper-competent leader, every X-Man's best friend, and the most powerful member of the team is kinda hard to swallow. It's not quite Mary Sue territory, but it's close enough.

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 19, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean X-Men red is a good example of her just being that without needing it spelled out for you. she just needs a good writer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when done well, she's just naturally that awesome and it works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The key is giving her a knife.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
She doesn’t need to be given one, she’s already wearing 12. Regardless if the writer knows or not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when done well, she's just naturally that awesome and it works.

yeah, I was gonna say when you lay it out like that then Storm sounds like a bad character, but Claremont writes her as a very believable character who makes mistakes and has to rely on her teammates and just happens to be the greatest woman in the world.

I gotta be honest with you guys, I'm really starting to like Claremont

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One of the white pages in I believe Legion of X is Dr. Nemesis talking about gods and trying to explain how they work as an atheist, relevant to this e: last page's conversation. I enjoyed it. Basically it's gods have power based on the number of followers but once they get more than 100,000 followers they become fully autonomous and do not appear anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gripweed posted:

I gotta be honest with you guys, I'm really starting to like Claremont

I mean, he didn't stick around as primary writer of the X-Men during their period of greatest popularity because, y'know, he knew a guy who knew a guy or something

For all the fun we poke at Claremont, that dude was good

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rick posted:

One of the white pages in I believe Legion of X is Dr. Nemesis talking about gods and trying to explain how they work as an atheist, relevant to this e: last page's conversation. I enjoyed it. Basically it's gods have power based on the number of followers but once they get more than 100,000 followers they become fully autonomous and do not appear anymore.

This one?

I'm still reading my way through Peter David's Hulk run and issue 380, where Doc Samson has to assess a woman on Death Row, is some of the hardest hitting stuff I've seen in Marvel. I can see why David's run is held in such high esteem - even a "filler" issue (which carries a warning that Hulk does not appear in the comic) tells an impactful and thought provoking story.

I've also noticed a habit of David's that Ewing subsequently used in Immortal Hulk - when cutting from one scene to another, he'll often have the concluding and opening lines of each scene complement each other in some way, sometimes to the extent that lines are directly repeated. There's probably an official term for it but it's a fun trick to keep the reader's momentum going.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Space Battleship Yamato confirmed for canon in the Marvel Multiverse

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Party Boat posted:

I've also noticed a habit of David's that Ewing subsequently used in Immortal Hulk - when cutting from one scene to another, he'll often have the concluding and opening lines of each scene complement each other in some way, sometimes to the extent that lines are directly repeated. There's probably an official term for it but it's a fun trick to keep the reader's momentum going.

Yeah, he does the same in X-Factor. I want to say I've seen this in TV shows too, but I forget which ones offhand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Party Boat posted:

I've always liked that, too. I assume he got it from films that do it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, he does the same in X-Factor. I want to say I've seen this in TV shows too, but I forget which ones offhand.

Archer did it constantly

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gripweed posted:

Archer did it constantly

That's the one, thanks! I knew it was something animated and it was bothering me.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
In comics, it's an Alan Moore-ism mostly; Watchmen practically used it on every scene transition and David probably picked it up there. But yeah, likely done earlier in film/TV, starting from whenever quick cuts caught on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah Watchmen, duh.

I just remembered that Terry Pratchett uses the same technique in Mort, and being Pratchett includes a footnote pointing it out and adding some jokes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Party Boat posted:

This one?

I'm still reading my way through Peter David's Hulk run and issue 380, where Doc Samson has to assess a woman on Death Row, is some of the hardest hitting stuff I've seen in Marvel. I can see why David's run is held in such high esteem - even a "filler" issue (which carries a warning that Hulk does not appear in the comic) tells an impactful and thought provoking story.

Yeah this is it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Party Boat posted:

It's an incredibly common story telling technique in pretty much every medium.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Skwirl posted:

Killing Joke has images that look similar when the scene changes, and I thought that really added to the feel that the Joker was constantly haunted by/making up his past and that everything he saw reminded him of it.

A lot of other uses of similar effects seem too cutesy. Idk, maybe they do add to a feel of continuity in the story, but often it just feels like a much more contorted pun or something, a trick of the craft without meaning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I meant specifically having the final line in one scene apply directly to the next scene.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The best part about Moore using it is that when he wrote his essay in ‘85 he was super proud of how clever it was and then when he went back to reflect on it in 2003 he was mortified by his comments and thought it was incredibly hacky.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
TV Tropes calls it a Twisted Echo Cut but there's probably a more professional term out there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m still immature enough to think that the Austin Powers take on that is still funny.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m still immature enough to think that the Austin Powers take on that is still funny.

Same

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Skwirl posted:

Oh word?

My point was David and Ewing in Immortal Hulk both lean very heavily on it, and I hadn't previously realised that Ewing was aping David's writing rhythm in that fashion.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It'sfun how Ewing likes to do those stylistic callbacks. His recent issue of Ant-Man starring Eric O'Grady has a few different examples of that gag Kirkman used to love where several motionless panels repeat in a row.

Of course, there's also Talaa in Defenders Beyond being the only character in any given scene who talks like '70s Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

It'sfun how Ewing likes to do those stylistic callbacks. His recent issue of Ant-Man starring Eric O'Grady has a few different examples of that gag Kirkman used to love where several motionless panels repeat in a row.

Heck, Ewing even pulls from the 70's Herb Trimpe run of Hulk which still has people pulling from it today.