Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Oh, I read that completely wrong. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
MC of SMTV should’ve had a choice of he/she/them. Wouldn’t have even need to change the model

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nanashi was pretty andro too

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nanashi was also like 16 in a resource starved hellhole.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I remember one of my more minor wishes for SMTV was in fact to have clothing options like this again. Maybe next time.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ohtsam posted:

MC of SMTV should’ve had a choice of he/she/them. Wouldn’t have even need to change the model

This definitely would have been a nice addition.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

After 5 years of private servers and over 10 years of regular servers being up, SMT IMAGINE is finally dead. RIP you fun little MMO with cool pet battle mechanics and unique battle system.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Samael posted:

After 5 years of private servers and over 10 years of regular servers being up, SMT IMAGINE is finally dead. RIP you fun little MMO with cool pet battle mechanics and unique battle system.

gently caress I was just thinking about downloading this again. It was a funky little time waster.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What killed it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atlus suing the guys running the private server lol

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

What killed it?

RE:IMAGINE was non profit but someone copied their server and website, decides to try and make money off it, Atlus files a lawsuit targeting the people copying the original, the original closes over fear of being sued themselves.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Samael posted:

RE:IMAGINE was non profit but someone copied their server and website, decides to try and make money off it, Atlus files a lawsuit targeting the people copying the original, the original closes over fear of being sued themselves.

First party: Justified.
Second part: They're officially licenced by atlus, why are they over reacting?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That information is completely false.

ReIMAGINE was a private server that ran off the comp_HACK software.

As politely as possible, Samael has frankly no clue what they are talking about.

You can play the game on New Order, a different private server with more advanced source code:

http://megatenonline.ru/

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 26, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Atlus alleges they've caused "irreparable damage" to the brand which is extremely lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Irreparable damage in legal terms means damage that cannot only be calculated in monetary value, not the common usage of un-repairable.

It's necessary to prove irreparable damage specifically to go for an injunction.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 26, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yes I know, but here I can calculate the damage for them

It's zero

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yeah afaik theres like, 3 groups involved in this

re:imagine - private server, maybe this was the Main kind?
rekuiemu - another private server that copied the first groups, did the kinda boneheaded move of putting their name in the copyright info next to atlus
comp hack - the program(?) that made imagine playable?

basically the rekuiemu group is getting sued by atlus (why they're not just sending out a c&d or a "hey could u remove that ty: letter is beyond me) because of the copyright info, and re:imagine is shutting down their servers for good too, just in case

anyways while i think rekuiemu did some pretty boneheaded moves, it feels insanely petty and overkill of a corporation to sue some randos into the ground instead of just some letters asking them to knock it off

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Booky posted:

yeah afaik theres like, 3 groups involved in this

re:imagine - private server, maybe this was the Main kind?
rekuiemu - another private server that copied the first groups, did the kinda boneheaded move of putting their name in the copyright info next to atlus
comp hack - the program(?) that made imagine playable?

basically the rekuiemu group is getting sued by atlus (why they're not just sending out a c&d or a "hey could u remove that ty: letter is beyond me) because of the copyright info, and re:imagine is shutting down their servers for good too, just in case

anyways while i think rekuiemu did some pretty boneheaded moves, it feels insanely petty and overkill of a corporation to sue some randos into the ground instead of just some letters asking them to knock it off

All private servers were derived from comp_hack, which is indeed the software all run on.

Reimagine was "main" by virtue of being the first... which happened because they took the comp_hack server software before it was ready and started it against the wishes of the development team.

There's a lot of inter-server drama over things like that.

Now New Order is the only server, which is fine since they had a good relationship with the dev team and helped fix a lot of bugs. Reimagine was actually very angry about that, claiming New Order got special treatment on bug fixes... on their own bugs...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 26, 2022

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So I beat SoHa2 yesterday. Overall it felt like one of the lesser PS2 SMT titles with modern-day QoL but with a bit less of a budget. I enjoyed it a lot so I'll write my impressions for people who are still on the fence.

The story is nothing to write home about and can be summed up in a "Dragon Ball Hunt", but the main draw are the characters, which I found very fun and charming, specially Ringo. Since I only watched the first teasers I assumed she was going to be the typical emotionless anime doll a la Rei Ayanami which isn't exactly my cup of tea so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw her actual character. I like the bar conversations you unlock by finding specific key items in the dungeons and completing certain subquests, they make it more convincing that the characters ARE experimenting the gameplay and optional sections of the game whereas in most games characters will never talk about anything that isn't related to the main story once you're past the tutorial.

I mostly liked the dungeons as well, filling up the map of a maze-like dungeon full of twists and turns is a zen like experience for me, like popping bubblewrap, but I agree they could've used a bit more variety and be more visually stimulant, having two subway dungeons in a row was definetly a mistake. Someone said there's lot of backtracking but if you use the PS2 games as a reference these are a smooth walk compared to those, since there're usually shortcuts you keep unlocking as you advance, the teleportation between "terminals" is not limited and of course the lack of random encounters.

The battles are slower than press-turn ones at the beginning but by the end of the game, when you unlock more methods to build up your stack and acquire stronger mystiques you'll be moping the floors with the random encounters pretty fast. Increasing your stack and watching the battlefield become more chaotic as your demons' shadows start appearing behind the enemies and you hear them mumbling/growling/laughing culminating in a big boom is oddly satisfying. Don't get cocky just because the enemy can't get extra actions/attacks from exploiting your weaknesses, my perception is that weakness damage has increased reasonably to account for this, and it's common for demons to still carry more than one weakness even in the late game. I've beaten the game in Normal and it's been mostly an easy game if you know what you're doing, I'll probably replay it on Hard next year.

Oh, and one of my favourite things of the original Soul Hackers were the boss battles that involved a summoner surrounded by their demons that followed specific roles and strategies, as if you were fighting another player. I was happy this game had a lot of that too instead of just big beefy bosses.

I liked the comic-book graphical style, but while the battle tracks were good I found most of the soundtrack forgettable, which is a pity, specially for this franchise.

I have a minor gripe about the antagonists and final boss but this is more about the genre as a whole rather than this game specifically, without giving too many details I'm tired of fighting well-intentioned extremists in jRPGs. The world is full of bad people who are legitimately just driven by their egotism and greed, so come on, developers, just let me fantasize about punching some of them in the teeth and feel good about it, I promise we won't think your story is less "deep" for that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It sounds like they forgot the punk part of cyberpunk.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It's not cyberpunk at all and doesn't pretend it is, there's hardly any "cyber" in it either besides the MC's origin. You expect it to be because of the first game and the "Hackers" in the title and when I saw screenshots of the shining streets and weird buildings I in fact assumed it'd be a cyberworld like Paradigm X but nope.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The loading screens (that you should absolute turn off because it's fake loading) like to mention that society has stagnated due to unchecked capitalism and people in general no longer have hope in a better future, which is the key to pretty much everyone's motivation. Like, even the super AI has calculated that it has to spur some kind of change or else it is doomed. I don't know if that counts as punk but I thought it was funny.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 29, 2022

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

The loading screens (that you should absolute turn off because it's fake loading) like to mention that society has stagnated due to unchecked capitalism and people in general no longer have hope in a better future, which is the key to pretty much everyone's motivation. Like, even the super AI has calculated that it has to spur some kind of change or else it is doomed. I don't know if that counts as punk but I thought it was funny.

Not very punky, but plenty dystopian.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for the great write-up, Petiso. I'm not done with it yet, since other games took priority, but I agree with pretty much everything you said.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

gonna replay smtv on hard.....

Enjoy, it's a great time. Ive been thinking about playing again and buying the fiend dlc since I never played it. But probably close enough to rerelease/sequel or whatever that I should probably just wait...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Oh, it got too real there in 2022 :effort:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In Training posted:

Enjoy, it's a great time. Ive been thinking about playing again and buying the fiend dlc since I never played it. But probably close enough to rerelease/sequel or whatever that I should probably just wait...

it got delayed due to a combination of Splatoon 3 and XC3. I will get around to it in 2025

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/19538/

Soul Hackers 2 getting a patch. It's in Japanese but the major things are taking assassin's step's dash and turning it into a core ability and letting you toggle highspeed battle any time. Also tweaks to the loading tips (lol) and four new demons.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Motto posted:

https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/19538/

Soul Hackers 2 getting a patch. It's in Japanese but the major things are taking assassin's step's dash and turning it into a core ability and letting you toggle highspeed battle any time. Also tweaks to the loading tips (lol) and four new demons.

Also adding a "go directly to store" thing on the map. Which store? Dunno.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Also adding a "go directly to store" thing on the map. Which store? Dunno.

All of them. IE: You select the shop on the map and you go directly inside it instead of fast traveling to right outside it. It's a general change to map functionality, not a new separate feature.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New demons are the Pixie design from Soul Hackers 1, Neko Shogun, Isis, and Aitvaras.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good to see the superior Pixie design finally makes it to a 3D game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I finished Strikers, it was really good and better than P5

Let Omega Force make more JRPGs (other than Zil Ol)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Between Royal and Strikers dialogue I'm fairly sure that if Haru didn't join the Phantom Thieves her lovely fiancee would have ended up in a thousand pieces via axe.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm not convinced that Haru didn't kill her fiance sometime between her father's death and the ending.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Between Royal and Strikers dialogue I'm fairly sure that if Haru didn't join the Phantom Thieves her lovely fiancee would have ended up in a thousand pieces via axe.

Or he might have "mysteriously disappeared" and a new product is for sale in the Meats department for a limited time.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i can't find it but wasn't there some persona or smt guide that had an edit about how the author found christ and rejects the world of demons or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ya

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Trash Ops posted:

i can't find it but wasn't there some persona or smt guide that had an edit about how the author found christ and rejects the world of demons or something?

it was persona 2 innocent sin (psp)

https://twitter.com/GrahamSig/status/1260360673328082944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know I'm honestly surprised that SMT hasn't caused some moral panic in the US already. I mean, we're... kinda on the borderline between obscure and mainstream.