Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’m lost as to what problem this is trying to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

They want some VC money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/hardestrides/status/1571360415883624448?s=20&t=ubcD2fc2CIttioIaswzPeQ

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PenisMonkey posted:

Legit: Not enough truckers who'll work at current market rates.

So say you have 8 trucks. Instead of needing 8 drivers, you can get away with 1 while the other 7 follow like little ducklings. Maybe 2 drivers if it's a long haul and you want them to be able to take a break and therefore continue without spending valuable company time at a rest stop. Either way it's a massive saving on manpower and helps keeps wages down because you only need so many truckers.

Now there's 1,001 reasons why this is a bad idea but let's not get into them since the rich people bankrolling it to keep wages down don't want to hear them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

But wait, what if we put the trucks on some kind of fixed guideway, then they wouldn't take up space on the highway and cause so much damage to the roads. Also, we could physically connect them, then all the power could come from the front truck, reduce maintenance and costs.

Oh wait...

It's just a train.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah, I mean if it’s a trailer not hooked to anything then it needs wheels on all four corners and steering mechanisms and it’s own drivetrain and I mean it’s just another truck at that point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Yeah, I mean if it’s a trailer not hooked to anything then it needs wheels on all four corners and steering mechanisms and it’s own drivetrain and I mean it’s just another truck at that point.

What if we make an autonomous trailer, but since we can't we'll just pair it with a "safety driver" up front. And also a bunch of bullshit wifi and software so VCs will give us money.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It should help cut down on trucks racing each other for tens of miles because one of them has a .5mph higher top speed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alkydere posted:

Legit: Not enough truckers who'll work at current market rates.

So say you have 8 trucks. Instead of needing 8 drivers, you can get away with 1 while the other 7 follow like little ducklings.

Now there's 1,001 reasons why this is a bad idea

One of them is that this would be illegal in a supermajority of US states.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It should help cut down on trucks racing each other for tens of miles because one of them has a .5mph higher top speed.

Usually they're swapping positions for fuel efficiency (aero), not for time.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Wasabi the J posted:

When i was driving a truck the thing was limited to 70 so I just drove with my foot to the floor the whole time I was on the interstate. It was a company truck so I wasn't paying for gas and couldn't have given a poo poo about fuel efficiency but I did definitely care about getting places as quickly as possible because my boss was a loving prick. I for sure was passing every other truck in my way even if I was going just fractionally faster than them.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 19, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Haha what? Most drivers are paid by the mile and time limited. If someone thinks they can get further in their limited time they will pass to do so. It's usually not fully logical and just based on the idea that you gotta go fast.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Large Testicles posted:

When i was driving a truck the thing was limited to 70 so I just drove with my foot to the floor the whole time I was on the interstate. It was a company truck so I wasn't paying for gas and couldn't have given a poo poo about fuel efficiency but I did definitely care about getting places as quickly as possible because my boss was a loving prick. I for sure was passing every other truck in my way even if I was going just fractionally faster than them.

I did the same "cruise control" trick in the motorcoaches I drove since they were limited to 66 or something, and the "cruise control ON" indicator on the dash was super super bright at night.

Heading East from the flatlands of the Midwest into the mountains of Pennsylvania, I suddenly found out the limiter only works to limit the motor's power output... Going downhill, you could get going MUCH faster than the limiter allowed!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

StormDrain posted:

Haha what? Most drivers are paid by the mile and time limited. If someone thinks they can get further in their limited time they will pass to do so. It's usually not fully logical and just based on the idea that you gotta go fast.

It IS fully logical - once you understand the driver is under pressure from a manager who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone on that road, including the driver, and just has a spreadsheet with miles per month on it that must always go up by any means necessary

also when you're driving a semi, there are just cars mad behind you, at all times, forever. Making a different lane mad for ten minutes to pick up 1.7 mph isn't even a decision, as opposed to possibly getting yelled at and/or shafted with worse dispatches because your boss thinks you took too long to do the route

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Javid posted:

It IS fully logical - once you understand the driver is under pressure from a manager who doesn't give a poo poo about anyone on that road, including the driver, and just has a spreadsheet with miles per month on it that must always go up by any means necessary

also when you're driving a semi, there are just cars mad behind you, at all times, forever. Making a different lane mad for ten minutes to pick up 1.7 mph isn't even a decision, as opposed to possibly getting yelled at and/or shafted with worse dispatches because your boss thinks you took too long to do the route

I can’t wait for incentives to change so this is no longer the case, but I’m not holding my breath. I’ve driven cross-country more times than I can count, and the last couple of times this seems to have gotten worse. I’d tolerate if it was only 10 minutes of passing but it’s been 30+ minutes of these fucknuts holding up traffic, and they all seem to see me coming and get over in front of me to make sure I’m stuck behind them when they make their lane change.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The practice of knowingly governing a vehicle to 20+ under the speed limit in a state it will be dispatched to should be federally banned, as a start

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Javid posted:

You're right and I agree. My point on not being fully logical is if you were a computer and knew how far you can get before you have to stop it may not make any difference in your pay if you pass or not. Although it may mean you can stop working faster which by that measure is perfect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

I was misinformed

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The really fun part about paying truckers by the mile (or load) is the effect it has on truckers who drive places other than highways. If you ever drive in West Virginia coal country the poo poo truck drivers do on mountain roads out there is frankly terrifying. I saw them completely occupying both lanes to take 25 mph curves at 40 on multiple occasions.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The really fun part about paying truckers by the mile (or load) is the effect it has on truckers who drive places other than highways. If you ever drive in West Virginia coal country the poo poo truck drivers do on mountain roads out there is frankly terrifying. I saw them completely occupying both lanes to take 25 mph curves at 40 on multiple occasions.

when i was driving, i was actually making under the minimum wage if i had to drive anywhere on California highways and stick to the speed limit. there ended up being some class action lawsuit against the company i was with and i ended up getting like $2k a few months back because of it

e; it's funny, i have all these anecdotes about driving a truck but i only did it for 4 months before I got out of the truck at a truck stop near Elko, NV one day with my poo poo and took a bus back home, it was just a very eventful 4 months because I was on the truck that whole time. i got out right before covid and i'm so loving glad i wasn't driving during the pandemic

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/FjqcF0e.mp4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've seen quite a few posts about speed limits and people not understanding what they're for or why they're getting fined for exceeding them. This plus the constant chat in AI about speed limits on roads being one thing but you probably getting into an accident if you dare drive at it has me wondering guys, what is your issue? Where's the disconnect?

https://twitter.com/GreyLadiesNYC/status/1573694275191291904?t=ezSDY3KtCZcuJkd6zmgyAg&s=19

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've seen quite a few posts about speed limits and people not understanding what they're for or why they're getting fined for exceeding them. This plus the constant chat in AI about speed limits on roads being one thing but you probably getting into an accident if you dare drive at it has me wondering guys, what is your issue? Where's the disconnect?

https://twitter.com/GreyLadiesNYC/status/1573694275191291904?t=ezSDY3KtCZcuJkd6zmgyAg&s=19

One critical issue is that modern cars have so many driving aids and are comfortable at high speed to the point that they can go at almost top speed at the same level of comfort of going at 15kmh. So people that are not attentive will speed without even noticing.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CinnetGhbYL/

This is more rolled into the shop content but figure it fits here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Americans are retarded, hth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I had to look it up and the cameras only pop at 10 miles over the limit. https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/speed-camera-faq.pdf

Complete idiot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BraveUlysses posted:

Americans are retarded, hth

Speed limits are challenges and nobody challenges Randall "The Hog" Jackson

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Anyone who has regularly driven through NYC has had to park in NYC. Every parking slip you get prints some poo poo about 25 MPH CITY WIDE on the reverse. It's well known and not at all a surprise.

Yeah, it sucks. That's the game you play driving in the city. If you don't want to pay the fine then either slow down or take any of the myriad public transportation options available.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Exceeding a speed limit set appropriately for the road is inherently dangerous. Most speed limits in the US at least are not set reasonably for the road. Some (particularly interstates in urban and dense suburban areas) are set so absurdly unreasonably that the free-flowing speed of traffic is 20+ MPH above the posted limit, thus making a vehicle travelling the speed limit an obstruction and hazard to normal traffic.

In areas where cars and people mix, the problem is usually the fact that American cities love to build wide, flat, straight stroads that are 100% designed for cars to easily drive fast on and then slap a 25-35 MPH limit on that while acting surprised that it's not effective. If they built a proper street that prioritized the people over the cars they'd have a different result, but that takes political will that doesn't exist in a lot of places.

On high speed routes it's almost 100% a ticket revenue thing, with a side of "if almost everyone's committing a crime, we can pull over whoever we want". There's no good reason for a four lane per direction interstate-grade highway with sparse exits and great visibility to have a 55-60 MPH limit but they exist in almost every major metro area.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

Most speed limits in the US at least are not set reasonably for the road.

Would love a citation for this pretty huge claim

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean it is a bold claim but in a country full of stroads are you really shocked that people are constantly speeding?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Here's a pretty good one.

quote:

a 1992 report by the U.S. Department of Transportation on the “Effects of Raising and Lowering Speed Limits,” which, beside making the same arguments described above, noted that the majority of highway agencies set speed limits below the 85th percentile, leading over 50% of motorists to drive “in technical violation of the speed limit laws.” Lt. Megge believes the compliance rate in Michigan to be well under 50%

The report referenced: http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

TL;DR the standard method of setting a speed limit is "so that 15% of drivers exceed it and 85% of drivers drive at or below the speed limit" and yet the government's own studies show that most US roads set their actual speed limit below that speed.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 26, 2022

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Apparently regular US city lanes are like 12 feet wide, in the Netherlands highway lanes are around 11 feet and city lanes on thoroughfares are 9 feet. And then you also make giant clear zones near the streets. No wonder people want to drive at highway speeds in American cities.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

In areas where cars and people mix, the problem is usually the fact that American cities love to build wide, flat, straight stroads that are 100% designed for cars to easily drive fast on and then slap a 25-35 MPH limit on that while acting surprised that it's not effective. If they built a proper street that prioritized the people over the cars they'd have a different result, but that takes political will that doesn't exist in a lot of places.

There is a residential road near me that previously had no lane markings, and most people went the 25mph speed limit. They added double yellow lines, and now it's very easy to find yourself going 45+ and, shock of shocks, people are doing that now.

Making drivers feel safe is dangerous.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Our street is off a road through the woods that is two lanes with no shoulder. Since it's relatively rural people walk on it, but more and more houses and neighborhoods have sprung up so there are more cars on it than ever. It is marked at 40MPH for our stretch of it, which is too fast, so I dug into how speed limits are set. Our city Traffic Control department has a form to fill out that includes checking a box saying it's speed limit related, so I filled that out pointing to a specific Minnesota statute indicating 35MPH is more appropriate. No one from Traffic Control responded, and the Police sergeant wrote back saying "any speed limit changes must be proposed at City Council meetings". Why does the form exist??

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's worth pointing out that in New York City, lanes are narrower, road conditions are worse, and there are a lot more pedestrians than other places in the US. 25 is reasonable for most of the city.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, the main issue is one of engineering vs politics. In the US our engineers build beautiful wide roads with excellent sight-lines, then the government goes and sets limits that don't match with the design.

If you want traffic moving at 20 miles an hour through your school zone, you need to tell your project designers to engineer a 20 mile an hour road, not a 40 mile an hour road. If you design a 40 mile an hour road, the majority of traffic will move at 40 miles an hour, and the few drivers who actually obey the limit signs will cause accidents.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Would love a citation for this pretty huge claim

Macichne Leainig posted:

I mean it is a bold claim but in a country full of stroads are you really shocked that people are constantly speeding?
Thanks Imagined for providing a good citation, but I'm honestly surprised by multiple people thinking it's even a bold claim in need of citation.

If you accept the principles behind the 85th percentile rule, that the design of the road and what surrounds it influences the natural speed of traffic and that the speed limit should be above that natural speed, then any road where the majority of traffic is exceeding the posted limit proves itself to have a mismatch.

In those cases, the two correct answers are to either modify the road to naturally reduce speeds (cities, rural two-lanes) or accept that the road is in fact built for high speeds and raise the limit accordingly (highways).

The American Way is to just lower the limit even further without changing anything else, blame drivers, and stick some revenue enforcers out there whenever it's most profitable.

Safety Dance posted:

It's worth pointing out that in New York City, lanes are narrower, road conditions are worse, and there are a lot more pedestrians than other places in the US. 25 is reasonable for most of the city.
Yeah, dense areas that were well established before the automotive boom and thus weren't as vulnerable to being "upgraded" to massive stroads tend to be the best as far as keeping the desired speed, natural speed, and posted limit at least close to each other. I live in the midwest at the border between suburban and rural with a lot of relatively new development and everything is just huge.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I didn't mean to cast any doubt on your claim wolrah. I'll just throw this out here, who hasn't gone a few MPH over on roads you're comfortable on? I know I'm guilty of speeding at times. Sure, maybe not 10+ MPH over in New York city limits, but "speeding" is always relative to many things, individuals included.

My town is really bad about poor light timing and whatnot so it just leads to really bad driving habits because who wants to hit every red light on the way home? I sure as hell don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That study is specifically on highways, so it’s a bit of a stretch to take it and apply it to any speed limit anywhere.