Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Steppes are some of my favorite quests, zone, and dungeon. They also built a PVP arena based on the Steppes and it shows up in the rotation for PVP Duty Roulette. But talking more about it would spoiler future events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The land is lovely, the music is gorgeous, the Steppe is just one of my favourite places to vibe in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

YggiDee posted:

The land is lovely, the music is gorgeous, the Steppe is just one of my favourite places to vibe in.

Ironically I was so into the world building in the Steppes I didn't really stop to appreciate the great music until later.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hooray, the Steppes!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Was it posted on the website or was it part of one of the Encyclopedia Eorzea that outlines every single Xaela tribe?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only problem I have with The Steppes is that the Tribal Quest line doesn't give you a horse

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SirPhoebos posted:

Steppes are great.

Also the best part of meeting Hein is it's the first time we get the Doma theme from FFVI.

To build on the FF6 references... one of the characters was a samurai named Cyan (Kaien), who had a wife named Mina and a son named Shun. :v: Though if that sounds unfamiliar, in older translations they were Elayne and Owain, for some reason.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A fun fact and I forget if it's been brought up, but: In Final Fantasy 6, one of your allies was Cyan, from the kingdom of Doma, who lost his wife Elayne and Owain...in English.

In the OG Japanese, it was indeed Kaien, who lost his wife Mina and his son Shun!

The Steppes were such a breath of fresh air for me. This is the part I felt the "travelogue" aspect of Othard actually did pay off, in large part because we're not here to deal with ten stacking "open a door" problems, but to actually learn about the people who live there and experience the land they live in. Also, fantasy Mongolia isn't done too often, and is often done extremely poorly, with little more characterization then "horses and bloodlust," and the amount of detail the game is willing to go into here to truly buck that trend was deeply appreciated. It's my own favorite part of Othard, and I'd wager a lot of other peoples', too.

EDIT: :argh: Timing!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 18, 2022

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Excited to see what jobs Kheris goes for next. I hope she studies the blade!

Melomane Mallet posted:

To build on the FF6 references... one of the characters was a samurai named Cyan (Kaien), who had a wife named Mina and a son named Shun. :v: Though if that sounds unfamiliar, in older translations they were Elayne and Owain, for some reason.

Ted Woolsey's translation went full on Olde Englishe for Cyan (Mr. Thou!), so they went for more Arthurian names for his wife and kid.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 18, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My understanding for FFVI is that Cyan spoke in the ultra-archaic samurai pronouns, (because of course Japan has those), and it was translated as Ye Olde English* because there's only so much you can do with those tiny tiny text boxes.

*I think it's Early Modern English or something but I don't know if anyone actually cares :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mordiceius posted:

Was it posted on the website or was it part of one of the Encyclopedia Eorzea that outlines every single Xaela tribe?

It may have been posted, but it originates from the first encyclopedia eorzea.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh right, there's a tribe of Xaela that marry horses. That's why the guy wanted that brush, they're supposed to treat their horses like their spouses.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

quote:

If we will, it won’t be in the next quest. Lyse was paired up with a squad of children for her task. Since they live on a vast plain, there’s not exactly an abundance of trees for firewood, so we’re collecting dung. At last, FF14 gives me the one piece of content I was most missing from World of Warcraft, Poop Collection quests!

Point of order: this is at least the third or fourth time the WoL has been sent out to collect poop, though I forget if it is the first MSQ-required occasion. It is practically Our Hero's canonical hobby at this point.

The Steppes is a gorgeous zone with chill music, and it's a fun place to just hang out in from time to time to relax. And yeah, Hien almost immediately checks out on pretty much every positive thing Yugiri and Gosetsu have mentioned about him, so it's clear why they think so highly of him. And on top of all that, he's hot. His outfit somewhat infamously has some pixellation issues up close though, due to running up against the limits of the engine when it comes to texture quality with that many different colors.

Cirina is a treasure, though mainly due to things that haven't happened yet.

I am also looking forward to Kheris finally Studying The Blade (and perhaps an entire post-length digression on the names of the actions).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wrestlepig posted:

the azim steppe owns. Its really great to see a depiction of steppe peoples and culture that manages to be fantastic without feeling a shallow schtick. They do trend towards eccentricity but stormblood really needs a depiction of vibrant, unoppressed culture at this point. Each tribe has really unusual ways of doing things because nobody's beaten it out of them.

Hien's also super interesting as well. A lot of focus has been on him as a samurai, but I will say its Very Chinese Emperor of him to try and get the northern steppe nomads to help him fight.

I'm also curious about how any xaela players felt about the area. Must be cool to go to your people's homeland. As a hellsguard roe player I'm jealous and hope to go up north in Alabathia and beyond one day.

I play a Xaela, and I kind of knew about the Azim Steppe before I created the character, but my reaction to the Steppe was very much, "Yes, my character is from here, these are my people. Give me some more giant epic battles please!"

My characters entire backstory as I've developed it was that her lover wandered into Doma and got killed by Imperial soldiers, so she left to get revenge, but caused enough of a ruckus that she decided that returning to the Steppe would possibly draw the Empire's attention there. So she went to Eorzea instead because it was the one place she knew that was still fighting the Empire.

I love the Steppe, it's the best zone in StB by a long shot imo. We haven't even encountered my favorite character yet either. They packed a LOT of lore into the Steppe, and supplemental materials have added even more.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

It is fitting for him to be on this level. Hien’s name in Japanese means ‘swallow in flight,’ and in samurai lore, very few birds are as revered as the swallow. While the title of “greatest swordsman of Japan,” is as debatable as in any other nation, the shortlist would have to include the author of the Book of the Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi. The swallow is connected with the man said to be Musashi’s greatest rival, Kojiro Sasaki. Legend has it that the man once observed a swallow in flight (eh? EH?!) while crossing a bridge, and based on the movements of its tail, he created the Tsubame Gaeshi.

The "Swallow Reversal," technique was said to be capable of slicing a bird out of mid-air. It gained such a mythical status among those who wrote and studied samurai history that it helped ensure Sasaki was remembered as a worthy rival, even though his death was somewhat humiliating. When he finally met his arch-rival Musashi in a duel, he got the sun in his eyes, allowing his opponent to crack his skull with a boat oar. Also, it’s entirely possible that Sasaki was fictional, but that’s another story.

i remember a while back reading the wikipedia about Musashi and Kojiro and thinking to myself, wait a minute, I have heard those names before...

they're the japanese names of Jesse and James in team rocket :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If there's one good thing I can say about Yotsuyu, she hasn't gone full Kefka on Doma. Granted, that might be because of Zenos, but still.

Either way, here's Hien, who might very well just be Cyan from VI. He's alright, I suppose, though his outfit is odd.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You do not, in fact, gotta hand it to Yotsuyu.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I stumbled upon naming my character's surname Qestir through the random name generator, so imagine my surprise when the Steppes introduce the silent neutral Qestir tribe who oversaw Reunion. Which immediately led to me re-evaluating my character as having been masterly pantomiming every time she's spoken.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I love the Azim Steppe. I love all the characters you meet in this zone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Major characters in the Steppe being deeply religious shouldn't really be a surprise. This part of the main story had Ishikawa as the main writer, the woman who wrote the DRK stories, wrote Ysayle back in HW, and went on to be the lead writer for Shadowbringers and Endwalker. And she has something of a type for her main characters.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Allarion posted:

I stumbled upon naming my character's surname Qestir through the random name generator, so imagine my surprise when the Steppes introduce the silent neutral Qestir tribe who oversaw Reunion. Which immediately led to me re-evaluating my character as having been masterly pantomiming every time she's spoken.

God that's beautiful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mordiceius posted:

At the very least info on the major tribes was posted up on the official forums

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Race-Naming-Conventions

To help people wanting lore appropriate names for their Au Ra PCs

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I loving LOVE the steppes and I'm glad to see you here. I recall some of the sidequests being VERY interesting indeed too.

I play a Xaela, so it was neat seeing a zone of "my people", even though my character was clearly an outsider (I don't even have a traditional Xaela tribe name).

In the end, I decided that the reason my WoL tends to be so quiet is because her grandfather was a Qestir who never abandoned his tribe's disdain of words. She, not being raised there, is quite comparatively a chatterbox.

and, yes, Hien! FF6 is my favorite game in the series and hearing the Doma theme blasting out when he was introduced made me grin from ear to ear.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Oh my god I just noticed the edit, this is wonderous.

EDIT:

Thundarr posted:

I am also looking forward to Kheris finally Studying The Blade (and perhaps an entire post-length digression on the names of the actions).

Me-di-ta-te

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 18, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FuturePastNow posted:

:same:

I'm another one who just loves this zone and the people in it. I picked a Xaela Au Ra for my character, knowing nothing about this place, so it made me really happy to get such an awesome background filled in for me.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

FuturePastNow posted:

It's my favourite zone in Stormblood for a lot of reasons but the characters are delightful.

I'd completely forgotten those prophecies though. hoo boy they hit different having finished Shadowbringers and Endwalker.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hooray, steppe time! This is still one of my favorite zones in the game to just chill out in.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Staggy posted:

I'd completely forgotten those prophecies though. hoo boy they hit different having finished Shadowbringers and Endwalker.

For Various Reasons that made sense at the time I started a playthrough on an alt a while ago, and I know exactly which line you mean and boy did it hit like a brick.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So, when I was making my Xaela, I picked from the Tribe list and went with Qerel, so it wasn't until the Stormblood Warrior questline that I ended up actually solidifying my girl's backstory.

On a somewhat hilarious note, when deciding on a first name, I read that because the Steppe tribes don't have a formal system of writing, you'll often meet Xaela with very similar names who spell them very differently if they must be written. So I looked at a list of Xaela names, and ended up picking "Serena" for her name...as a variation of "Cirina."

Needless to say, I was a bit surprised when I arrived at the Steppe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I heard a story about a character who either predated Stormblood story events in the Steppe or didn't think it was a big deal named Cirina Oronir. The poor girl got hit on (harassed) everywhere she went from Oronir Roleplayers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I heard a story about a character who either predated Stormblood story events in the Steppe or didn't think it was a big deal named Cirina Oronir. The poor girl got hit on (harassed) everywhere she went from Oronir Roleplayers.

You remember this anecdote because they're a goon lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ran Rannerson posted:

I love final fantasy 14 sheep. They’re identifiably sheep but they’ve got enough weird about them that they’re a fun fantasy thing instead of just normal-rear end sheep.

It's the new Japanese standard for sheep, between this game and Pokemon and at least one other title I've seen.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Kwyndig posted:

I was fortunately never harassed but I also went into stormblood with a character I started in Heavensward and let me tell you, sharing a name with a major story npc can make conversations very confusing.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Hien's interesting because he comes off as so "charismatic", for lack of a better word, so quickly. We've known him for all of 2 seconds by this point, and he's already immediately likable.

For all FFXIV is talked about as having a ton of text, it's kind of funny how to the point their characters can sometimes be. Although we are kind of pre-primed to like him given the way other characters speak of him.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

AncientSpark posted:

Hien's interesting because he comes off as so "charismatic", for lack of a better word, so quickly. We've known him for all of 2 seconds by this point, and he's already immediately likable.

For all FFXIV is talked about as having a ton of text, it's kind of funny how to the point their characters can sometimes be. Although we are kind of pre-primed to like him given the way other characters speak of him.

I kinda think this is a posture, though, or to be more accurate Hien performs charisma consistently. It's not that it's insincere per se, it's that he's very deliberately chosen to cultivate his personality to be the Charismatic Prince. He's likable because he wants to be liked - but note that within minutes of meeting him he's already talking about co-opting a third party and getting them to become his army, dying to reclaim his homeland to not necessarily much direct benefit of their own, while also explicitly lending aid to a relatively weak tribe so they get the credit for it instead of the tribe's own warriors.

Stormblood isn't exactly a realpolitik story in the 4.0 questline - it's still very much a Story of Glorious Revolt - but it's also a story that is at least occasionally gesturing towards revolutions and war being a calculated, often ruthless process behind the stirring speeches and big Hollywood moments (such as the explicit mention of killing conscripts back in the Fringes), so I always look at Hien's big spontaneous gestures as not necessarily spontaneous at all.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 19, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeeeees.

The Azim Steppe is great. The Xaela are great. Cirina, in particular, is great.

Hien is only okay but that's okay because everything else about this place is great.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Hien but I will admit he is a hard motherfucker when he needs to be. Need an army? Coop a sacred ritual combat that determines who will lead for the year in a mostly ceremonial position and rely on the concentrated power of the WoL to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
hien is a little bit too Generic Protagonist Shaped Object for my tastes, but they can't all be gems