Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I started out not even knowing how to use a one button rice cooker and a few years later i was winning cooking contests and all it took was getting verbally abused and bullied on this forum for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I started out not even knowing how to use a one button rice cooker and a few years later i was winning cooking contests and all it took was getting verbally abused and bullied on this forum for a few years
Another gws success story

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

bloody ghost titty posted:

Anyone making more complex plans than just putting things up for the dark months? I’m fermenting a hot sauce that took intimacy off the table for a few days while we wiped down the surfaces, but besides that I have no real ideas.
There is a pretty good canning thread, but so far I've done 9 pints of green beans, 18 pints of pickled beets, 17 half pints of candied jalapenos, and like 15 half pints of assorted jams. Still want to do corn, tomatoes, and some broths.

Bit of a tangent, but there was a blog post I saw a bit back, which I'd like to try...someday. Food historian got the details on what a post WWII Ration book had for food you were allowed to buy in the UK after the war. She lived on just the things she was allowed to buy in that, plus whatever she could grow herself, or trade with people (from stuff she produced herself). I'd need to do a lot of digging to figure out just what was allowed, but would be interesting to try that for an experiment.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Jesus Christ, I’ve never seen someone go so quickly from zero to telling Dino of all people to gently caress off.

Yeah!! That got hot rather quickly (and unnecessarily).

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Arkhamina posted:

There is a pretty good canning thread, but so far I've done 9 pints of green beans, 18 pints of pickled beets, 17 half pints of candied jalapenos, and like 15 half pints of assorted jams. Still want to do corn, tomatoes, and some broths.

Bit of a tangent, but there was a blog post I saw a bit back, which I'd like to try...someday. Food historian got the details on what a post WWII Ration book had for food you were allowed to buy in the UK after the war. She lived on just the things she was allowed to buy in that, plus whatever she could grow herself, or trade with people (from stuff she produced herself). I'd need to do a lot of digging to figure out just what was allowed, but would be interesting to try that for an experiment.

There's a hilarious UK show from a few years back called The Supersizers, where a food critic and a comedian have to live and dress in the manner of X time period for a week. Time periods include WW2, Regency, 1920s, and ancient Rome, among others. They cook and eat foods and ingredients that would have been available or popular at the time, and go into a bit of history about it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

There's a hilarious UK show from a few years back called The Supersizers, where a food critic and a comedian have to live and dress in the manner of X time period for a week. Time periods include WW2, Regency, 1920s, and ancient Rome, among others. They cook and eat foods and ingredients that would have been available or popular at the time, and go into a bit of history about it.

Seconding. The male presenter is a bit of a twat but amusing nonetheless. It’s very entertaining.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah supersizers is really fun especially if you don't know who Giles Coren is and don't look up literally any of his awful opinions

sue's great, anyways

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Arkhamina posted:

Funnily enough, the British diet during WW2 was probably the healthiest it's ever been. The dig for victory campaign was a godsend to working class nutrition at the time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE Ration Book Cookery:

https://www.youtube.com/c/1940sExperiment

There's a whole channel for it.

I like Supersizers Go because they explain so much of the history in a fun way. I'm not thrilled about the massive amount of food waste that they do on each episode, and Giles is a bit of a punchable face type situation. But Sue is a delight, as always.

RE: Canning & Preservation. Preserving-wise, I tend to do way more freezing than canning, to be honest. I don't mind buying tinned tomato for the few times that I need tomato out of season during the colder months. Tomatoes are something that I kind of eat myself stupid into during the summer, and then ignore (for the most part, barring the odd slice for sandwiches) when it's out of season. Green beans I get fresh year round anyways, and the texture of the canned or frozen stuff is unpleasant enough for me to avoid it. For dried beans, I have a pressure cooker, so I use that anyways. If I could get decent corn that won't break my wallet, I'd have eaten myself stupid on them, and frozen the rest.

I'm super sad to see the summer veggies going, but I'm lowkey looking forward to the hearty stews and soups and junk that winter brings.

Freezing on the other hand, I have been doing. Whenever I get kale or collards on markdown or something, I'll get a bunch of it, blanch it, squeeze out the water, give it a chop in the food processor, and then freeze it. When I make a batch of beans in the pressure cooker, I'll put in one of those dividers dealies, so that I can make three or four different types at the same time, then drain off the water and freeze the beans when they're done. When I buy some herbs, I'll take the leaves off the stems, put them on a parchment lined baking sheet, and then freeze them in little zip lock baggies, so I can use them. It annoys me to no end to have to throw out herbs.

Oh and pickling. When I got some fresh green mangoes, I made some mango pickle. Same for when limes were cheap at the store. Lime pickle, baby!

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Canned the last round of peaches last weekend, gearing up to set up the grapes for pressing and drying. Himrods are at peak ripeness. Bagging and vine drying a few to see how they taste, the rest go for grape juice and golden raisins. Jupiters will get pressed and left on their lees for a couple days before canning as juice and jelly. Wintergreen had a good year, so leaves need to go in everclear for extract. Winter garlic and Arugula go in the ground this week. Candied the last of the Fraises des bois, doubt they'll last week. Harvested all the Espelettes, ristra made with half, the other half goes into the crock for fermented pepper paste. Only thing left undone was getting stonefruit leaves up to dry. Definitely ready for the rain to start.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to get back on my tomato sauce game. My grocery store started stocking Rao’s around the time our baby started eating real food and she’s all in on pasta, so I always have a jar or two on hand for quick dinners.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Enfys posted:

I think we put far too much blame on the most vulnerable people who have the least time, energy and ability to cope with an actively hostile and punitive environment created by those who have the most ability to work around it.
This is surely an important thing and I hope my post did not come off as "LOL poors amiright?". That was far from my intent, and I'm really impressed with the discussion here (fantastic posts by dino.). Although perhaps some comments are being taken as targetted at an individual when they're intended as general observations about society?

You northerners are getting into your autumn/winter preparations and preservations, just as we here in the temperate bit of Australia are coming into spring. Potatoes will go into the ground next weekend, my wife has a seedling tray under good lights set up next to the washing machine, and the berry canes are starting to bud.

What do you wish you'd done back in early spring in regards to your current plans and activities taking things in and pickling/freezing/fermenting them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How is the taste of home canning vs store canned food? I was severely disappointed by the taste of store canned peas

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

How is the taste of home canning vs store canned food? I was severely disappointed by the taste of store canned peas

Some things just do not can well. Canning is a very thorough cooking process, so anything like peas that is best either raw or very lightly cooked is going to be not good.

The main difference in quality between home and store canned food will be quality of produce, but more than anything you can tailor to your preferred level of salt/flavorings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Live like a mogul, buy frozen baby sweet peas

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Gearing up for making a bunch of apple butter. Maybe I'll do some pear butter this year too, just to be different.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Canned peas are definitely their own sort of thing. Don't really care for them myself, but w/e. Frozen is definitely the way to go if you want something approximating fresh and you need long-term storage.

That said, home pickled peas are a thing. They're not at all the same as fresh but I'd take them as a side/garnish over commercially canned peas any day of the week.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

Live like a mogul, buy frozen baby sweet peas

Yes. Frozen petit pois are where it’s at. I don’t like most frozen veg but these are excellent.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ooh, thanks for the Super sizers Tim, and the YouTube lady. Will check that out. I watch a comedy amount of UK TV already. Just finishing Jeremy Clarkson's Farm show, which has been a hoot.

RE spring stuff: I absolutely failed at any garden prep this year. Got COVID and I was off my game for about a month. What I had wished I had done was plant some fruit and nut shrubs (hazelnut grows here!). I also want to try to start the soil prep process for growing grapes. We have soil that has so much clay I ought to be doing pottery.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

What’s up my fellow Asian ladies

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.businessinsider.com/typical-costco-shopper-demographic-asian-american-woman-earning-high-income-2021-7

What I want to know is who on earth gets out of Costco for $114

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dog food, cat food, litter, pizza, hot dog

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I saw this irl and was very confused for a while.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The plant based rice part obviously makes no sense but you can guess what it is just based on it being labelled as keto.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Steve Yun posted:

What’s up my fellow Asian ladies

They are opening a Costco here in Stockholm soonish, and even though I don't think I'd get my moneys worth out of a membership I am really curious about it, just because of you GWS guys having strong opinions about it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh no the sweedish are going to get out ikead.

It is one of the best sources for imports ime so you'll fold. You're gonna want some American cheeses and pizza rolls.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

dino.

Something got under my skin yesterday and I lost my cool. It's not your fault, and I can't excuse it. But it wasn't right, to you or anyone else here. For whatever it's worth, I apologize. Sorry for making your day a little bit worse.

Posting this here because I'm not sure a PM would be appropriate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Walla posted:

dino.

Something got under my skin yesterday and I lost my cool. It's not your fault, and I can't excuse it. But it wasn't right, to you or anyone else here. For whatever it's worth, I apologize. Sorry for making your day a little bit worse.

Also, people here saw your post so now we can see your apology and think that you aren’t such an rear end in a top hat. Making an apology, let alone a public one, is difficult. You did pick on the wrong guy though. Dino is like the sweetest, most well-meaning poster here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Getting these vibes :3:
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxRmZSuu8Hw7VOuAuxCWr0-PPxOA7Azf_8

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I started out not even knowing how to use a one button rice cooker

The day I learned those worked because of magnets I lost my mind and told all my friends. Like, just texting them all individually while at work.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Walla posted:

dino.

You may not have been here when I had a UTI, but I was a raging monster because I was in pain. I completely sympathise. When stuff gets under your skin, the world is terrible. Fingers crossed that whatever it was is cleared and you’re feeling better now. Apology accepted completely.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
This weekend is the canning party- definitely tomatoes for days, whatever else is available by the pound at the markets on Saturday.

Also I got a composting bin, and I couldn’t be more pleased. Sits in the yard, keeps flies away from the patio at lunch, reduces food waste tremendously, encourages more gardening. It’s goddamn magic. Now…to descale the espresso machines…KY may have some wonderful water for making whisky, but drat is it hard on pipes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Composting is great. My pumpkin vines are hulking out from my compost tea waterings.

Note that this doesn't seem to mean growing pumpkins, just poo poo-tons of vine.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Brawnfire posted:

Note that this doesn't seem to mean growing pumpkins, just poo poo-tons of vine.

:same:

I only seem to have success with volunteer squash plants growing out of my free-form compost pile; any time I try to deliberately cultivate them they either fail to grow or fail to produce any fruit. On the other hand letting them grow means no turning the pile until late fall, which means the compost won't be ready in spring.

The lesson I've learned from all this is that squash thrive on trash and neglect.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Our watermelons produced a few meters of vine, but only one viable fruit- the hoa contracts a lawn service and we didn’t properly mark out the beds, and some of them got shredded.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

To be fair, watermelon vines don't care about garden borders either. ;)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A couple of years ago I grew about four squash plants. They grew vigorously and had beautiful flowers, both of which I appreciated, and after much careful tending, yielded a medium and a small squash.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I had some zucchini plants that would give me millions of pounds of zucchinis.

Before I moved to India I did worm composting and it was great. I'm vegan which means the worms eat all the food scraps I would otherwise throw out, and between that and the recycling bin I could go weeks without having to throw anything in the trash. They wouldn't touch limes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lol the lip balm used in Everything Everywhere All At Once is based on Ralph’s generic brand