Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://twitter.com/punishedpope/status/1571944223875944448

Don't know what's funnier, that being by all accounts true or Letterboxd going "yeah . . . we picked the right image"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

vanishedimam posted:

i feel like what all these cases really show is that the US criminal justice system is so thoroughly hosed and corrupt that any time americans truly get a view of any particular case they have no choice but to recoil in horror

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

Don't know what's funnier, that being by all accounts true or Letterboxd going "yeah . . . we picked the right image"

Jesus christ, stav

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cael posted:

Lmao if some random cumtown fan becomes the reason normal people start to dislike him.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lmao if some random cumtown fan becomes the reason normal people start to dislike him.

heh…yea..random

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bedpan posted:

the victim's car was discovered abandoned one block from a house owned by a relative of one of the suspects

this also means that suspicions Adnan's codefendant who turned state's witness, Jay Wilds, was recounting a lie fed to him by the police is in fact the reality of the situation

Iirc these were the two inescapable problems for the defense. Everything else could be explained away so ofc they were both manufactured

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

slave to my cravings posted:

heh…yea..random

what about stav to my cravings

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im slowly getting through the bonus EPs of Blowback and it's been awhile since I heard the last episode, but did they cover how North Korea came to be sanctioned?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1572212462409089027?s=20&t=9i29RJBFh239I804Q7F9dw

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think we can all admit that OJ was innocent though.

Everytime I see an OJ tweet he seems to be having a great time and enjoying his life, I'm happy for him.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

how come it was called serial but there was just one murder

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

"Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, let me ask you just one question: would there be a podcast about someone named SERIAL if they weren't a SERIAL KILLER?"

GUILTY

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMq6imrMmI

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh my god, there were more murders.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh my god, there were more murders.

"Season 1 investigated the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee (Hangul: 이해민), an 18-year-old student at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County. Season 2 focused on Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, an American Army soldier who was held for five years by the Taliban, and then charged with desertion. Season 3, which debuted in September 2018, explores cases within the Justice Center Complex in the Cleveland area."

Sounds like only season 3 has the potential to be about a serial killer but even then I doubt it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nanomashoes posted:

"Season 1 investigated the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee (Hangul: 이해민), an 18-year-old student at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County. Season 2 focused on Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, an American Army soldier who was held for five years by the Taliban, and then charged with desertion. Season 3, which debuted in September 2018, explores cases within the Justice Center Complex in the Cleveland area."

Sounds like only season 3 has the potential to be about a serial killer but even then I doubt it

On the one hand true crime podcasts are stupid, on the other hand, they freed a man from the carceral state

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

On the one hand true crime podcasts are stupid, on the other hand, they freed a man from the carceral state

I think trueanon said that the host lady fell in love with him which should be unfailing proof that he's guilty

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

Never listened to it but Serial seems to be about how hosed up the justice system is, which makes it way better than the lurid, poorly researched, dully-recited podcasts that dominate the genre.

I really hate true crime podcasts. Friends send them to me, and they're all someone who sounds like they took a dose and a half of Xanax reading a Wikipedia page. It's often just wallowing in misery too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait what? serial did a season on bergdahl? i thought he was tried under UCMJ lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I really hate true crime podcasts. Friends send them to me, and they're all someone who sounds like they took a dose and a half of Xanax reading a Wikipedia page. It's often just wallowing in misery too.

I have told this story before but I listened to one on a road trip with my ex about the night stalker and it was legitimately terrifying how candid they speak about all the stuff he did.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the effect of shows like that on the human psyche.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The night stalker was alleged to have killed over 15 victims

*audience woos*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have told this story before but I listened to one on a road trip with my ex about the night stalker and it was legitimately terrifying how candid they speak about all the stuff he did.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the effect of shows like that on the human psyche.

men are afraid of true crime podcasts because it's just a mirror into what they're capable of 💅

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Cael posted:

Stavs such an idiot lmao. Just dont tell your GF if you're getting head when your on tour Stav holy poo poo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the guy who did the music for Serial also did the theme for Bad Faith

haven't listened to Islands/Unicorns in a while but i remember liking them, prob wouldn't so much anymore tho

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the guy who did the music for Serial also did the theme for Bad Faith

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

it was called cereal originally but Big Corn had a Big Problem with it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

i say swears online posted:

men are afraid of true crime podcasts because it's just a mirror into what they're capable of 💅

White women use true crime podcasts to alleviate the need for attention that fake accusations against men of color filled in the 1980s and earlier

Nobody should listen to podcasts imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

wait what? serial did a season on bergdahl? i thought he was tried under UCMJ lmao

Why would that matter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Why would that matter?

iunno anything like that is usually so much more opaque than a civilian trial. i guess it got enough press but he pled guilty and got no jail time for desertion which seems like a W in terms of historical precedent

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The night stalker was alleged to have killed over 15 victims

*audience woos*

Wow he went beyond godlike on a snowbally ganking hero. So hard to do

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Last Podcast on the Left is alright.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

iunno anything like that is usually so much more opaque than a civilian trial. i guess it got enough press but he pled guilty and got no jail time for desertion which seems like a W in terms of historical precedent

Yeah idk I didn’t listen and don’t plan to so I guess it’s more about what your goal is and whether there’s enough material to go off of which like you say in his specific case there should be an awful lot. If the goal is somehow specifically getting his conviction overturned than lmao I guess good luck with that. UCMJ can be pretty hosed though so if it’s just meant to be informative with a high visibility case as the centerpiece it could work fine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's fair. if anything the AM radio reaction to his trial and verdict is more interesting as well as interviews with his dad about pacifism

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They just interviewed someone that already did a documentary for 10 hours lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

White women use true crime podcasts to alleviate the need for attention that fake accusations against men of color filled in the 1980s and earlier

True crime fans get genuinely angry and offended if you point out that white women are by far the group least likely to get murdered.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gripweed posted:

True crime fans get genuinely angry and offended if you point out that white women are by far the group least likely to get murdered.

who is the most? is it bitches

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m my podcast Journey I did have a true crime phase that lasted about 6 months that I abruptly had to slam on the breaks because I could tell it was making me paranoid and also immensely depressed.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Gripweed sneaking into a women's issues private fb group and dropping fact bombs to harvest honkey bitch triggered meltdowns like "not sure what you mean by true crime" and "can you please stop derailing with posts about fbi crime statistics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

honkey bitch triggered meltdowns